M
Legend
Legend
M

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's good, and I doubt we're going to lose anyone to coaching searches this year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I haven’t read the whole thread but I assuming that people want Woods fired.

I will say this, I would like to return a whole coaching staff for once. Also, defenses can improve greatly from year to year based on personnel.

Not a lot on the "fire him now" bandwagon.. most seem to be on the give him more talent and another year or two, if we don't improve.. well then we need to consider it.

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
You can't properly gauge and defense that has Sendejo and Free Safety and Tavierre/MJ Stewart in the slot for large chunks of the year.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I haven’t read the whole thread but I assuming that people want Woods fired.

I will say this, I would like to return a whole coaching staff for once. Also, defenses can improve greatly from year to year based on personnel.

Not a lot on the "fire him now" bandwagon.. most seem to be on the give him more talent and another year or two, if we don't improve.. well then we need to consider it.

Agreed. I think most want to give the guy time to work with better personnel. Plus, with the season the Browns had, it is more than appropriate to have a holistic approach to continuity across all coaching.

I think fans were a little more upset with Woods at the beginning of the season, but after many realized the holes that existed on the defensive side of the ball, many came to the conclusion that it wasn't all on him.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. Woods did fine in San Francisco with his D. We didn't have the best talent plus we had guys in and out of the lineup with Covid and injuries. Let's give him some better players and stability and see what happens.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Exactly. Woods did fine in San Francisco with his D. We didn't have the best talent plus we had guys in and out of the lineup with Covid and injuries. Let's give him some better players and stability and see what happens.

I agree...for me it's another of the "In Ski We Trust" type things. Ski knows Woods well...if he thinks Woods should get another shot - and with better players - then I can get on board with that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's only a small thing - but think Woods was the CB or Secondary coach in SF not the D coordinator who was Saleh.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
We have to start by not letting Henne scramble for 14 yards with the season on the line

yeah that was my only real dismay regarding our defensive coaching. How can we not adjust our defense to a Back up where run and short passes would be his high percentage attempts - Instead we played the D as if Mahomes was still playing and can make it happen with his arm. Instead we just let Henne be comfortable in that pocket and had all dropped back as if he was an MVP QB that could easily throw for a 14 yard connection. That pretty much PO'd me.

Out side of that I thought our D was well coached. We just need better talent to make it great.

Swish...Garrett got the freakin Covid come on man there is a Pandemic going on you know.

Actually Vernon I thought was a steady player all year till he got the season ending injury. But he was out there almost every down in our late season run.

I really like the kid Elliot and you know who put in some quality reps on D was Vince Taylor - So unless we got a STUD out there for an upgrade I like our DT situation.

We need a quality edge guy either from FA or draft or both. I thought it was a mistake not going for Clowney or if I remember he rejected our offer???

I think one of the best things to happen this season is we got that "SAME OLD BROWNS" stigma on us - REMOVED! DONE - NO MORE! We should be the team that FA would relish coming to.

And we got a rep of being tough.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Where do we go? Find speed at the LB position. Another quality pass rusher. Speed at the corner position. I guess I should just say, we need speed at all the back end positions. I would go into the offseason as if Greedy and Delpit don't exist. Not that I don't think they will return, or be good, but sign guys with speed to cover fast WRs. Upgrade at corner and safety. If they both come back strong, then good depth will be built.

At LB, the trend is fast sideline to sideline guys who can cover. We don't have one of those now.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think we have a sideline to sideline LB now in Phillips but he's the only one we have. I agree we need more speed at the LB and secondary positions.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I think we have a sideline to sideline LB now in Phillips but he's the only one we have. I agree we need more speed at the LB and secondary positions.

Agreed. Still would like to see more of him.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sold on Berry ( fo ) as Defensive talent evaluator's yet . Offence , ok and Ski is the man .. Delpit , Elliot or Philips were not my picks by a long shot .. Philip flash's some speed .. I didn't see much from Elliot in his snaps .. I suspect all three will be on next years roster . Well maybe Delpit.

I Want to draft Physical DB's ..

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think fans were a little more upset with Woods at the beginning of the season, but after many realized the holes that existed on the defensive side of the ball, many came to the conclusion that it wasn't all on him.

That was me.. and it really hit home during the Steelers game when the announcers said that in their talk with Woods, he basically said that this game was going to be painful for him because he KNEW he had to give them everything underneath and that we would give up a lot of yards...

I think the dude wants to be a lot more aggressive but realizes he didn't have the players to do it this year.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
But still, IMO he needed to rush more than 4 against a 35 year old backup QB on 3rd & 14.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
WE NEED LINEBACKERS AND THEN MORE LINEBACKERS~!

All Pro
All Pro
LBer?

We need like 6 guys smile

DE: yep
DT: yep
LB: yep
Slot corner: yeppers
Outside Corner: yep
Free Safety: you betcha.

As far as I'm concerned we have to find 2 starters in Free Agency. 2 or 3other short term stop gaps and hope we can fill the other 2 in the draft to start from day one.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why not just say the whole defense lil fella?

Legend
Legend
Adding a difference maker at every level of the defense is imperative

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Adding a difference maker at every level of the defense is imperative

I suppose it could be said we already have difference makers, maybe just not the difference for which we hope. tongue

That said, I don't think many would disagree. I think LB might be the one position where we don't need to do a whole lot. I say that based on comments made by Woods that he would prefer a D that only employs 2 backers.

The general feeling is we need another edge to apply pressure. I am not going to say we don't, but for me, I would rather have a tackle that can apply pressure up the middle. That really disrupts a QB.

No doubt we have to get better on the back end if Woods is ever going to be able to run the D he wants. The guys we currently have either aren't all that good, and the ones that are always seem to be hurt, so we need to have numbers back there.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
j/c...

I would be hesitant on wholesale changes on D - key is continuity and there are some average players who GET IT as in the system. You cannot get a stud in every position but you have to rely on average bananas to over achieve. Of course we can upgrade wherever possible. I know Delpit and Greedy where in on all those virtual practices. So there knowledge of the D is pretty good. We know Ward is a keeper.

But size and speed is key - the more we have on those guys the better but don't forget guys like Winfield of the Bucs on paper he is nothing but man that kid can play football!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think it's more of a case where a couple hits on new guys can push others down the roster where they belong.

-CBs that are supposed to be depth are no longer starting each Sunday.
-Rotational/depth LBs aren't playing every down

etc.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. At least with-in reason, size isn't all that important.

Getting to the ball carrier and sticking with receivers is the key component for a defensive unit.

I have always felt that speed is a key component on D. Reacting is what defenders do, and when you are reacting, you are already a step behind.

If you aren't, you are guessing, and that's not a good defensive strategy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Speed as a concept for the Defense on a whole is VERY IMPORTANT and EFFECTIVE. Just saying don't completely forget about kids who just are DARN good football players and play faster than there times runs in shorts!

I always thought the 40 times at the combine should be done in full pads and helmet.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
Speed as a concept for the Defense on a whole is VERY IMPORTANT and EFFECTIVE. Just saying don't completely forget about kids who just are DARN good football players and play faster than there times runs in shorts!

I always thought the 40 times at the combine should be done in full pads and helmet.

jmho

I am not forgetting those guys. When I say speed, to me it is functional speed. Simply being fast isn't worth a darn if they suck at other things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is why I never put a lot of faith in 40 times. Unless someone is running straight down the field, your ability to run in a straight line is overrated.

Reaction time or what some call a quick twitch, the ability to read and diagnose what is and will happen next, the ability to play sideline to sideline and shift quickly on your feet have more to do with your game speed than how fast you can run in a straight line.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess our Line backers are Slow Twitcher's

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I guess our Line backers are Slow Twitcher's
or non-twitchers

Seeing Goodson trying to cover receivers or backs is hard to watch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Seeing Goodson almost all of our LBs trying to cover receivers or backs is hard to watch.

tongue

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

Of course. Straight line speed in shorts is one thing but has to be compared to watching game film and gaging game speed.. they are related but not the same thing.

Instincts plays a big part in "game speed" as well. If you diagnose faster and get a 2 step head start on others, you sure do appear to be a lot faster.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
This is why I never put a lot of faith in 40 times. Unless someone is running straight down the field, your ability to run in a straight line is overrated.

Reaction time or what some call a quick twitch, the ability to read and diagnose what is and will happen next, the ability to play sideline to sideline and shift quickly on your feet have more to do with your game speed than how fast you can run in a straight line.

I agree.

Make no mistake, a 40 time does have value and does provide a baseline on a players speed. Many times this speed also translates over to functional speed.

That is where tape factors in to the mix.

No doubt a gross gap in speed is going to show. A players who runs a 4.1 is almost always going to have more functional speed. When comparing players, one who runs a 4.5 and the one who runs a 4.65, maybe not so much.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Pretty much.

Heck the fastest clocked on field times go to running backs almost every year (admittedly, it's when they break through to nothing but green grass and actually get to run in a straight line without looking back for at least 35-40 yards, but still...)

I do enjoy when those tiny, speedy guys lose speed and balance as soon as they are carrying the weight of a uniform and in cleats, though. Or the WR's who slow way the F down as soon as their heads are turned back looking for the ball and they can't maintain their hips. Good times.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

L
Rookie
Rookie
L
There is definitely talent on this team. However, the problem is not necessarily with the players. Woods sucks! His scheme sucks, and he knows NOT how to scheme to his players strengths. This defense was constantly in prevent. No creativity whatsoever. And opposing teams know this. I’m not sure what the answer is short of firing him. Which many don’t want to do in the name of continuity. Remember Hue Jackson in the name of continuity.....

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: LongDawgSilver
There is definitely talent on this team. However, the problem is not necessarily with the players. Woods sucks! His scheme sucks, and he knows NOT how to scheme to his players strengths. This defense was constantly in prevent. No creativity whatsoever. And opposing teams know this. I’m not sure what the answer is short of firing him. Which many don’t want to do in the name of continuity. Remember Hue Jackson in the name of continuity.....

He never had his starting back end. Every week it was different. I'll give him another year.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: LongDawgSilver

How many other teams would Sandejo start for? Wilson? Smith and Goodson were a pleasant surprise but still pretty average.

What about the CB's we signed off the street to start? The one that had never played in an NFL game before? Not sure I would say that was "talent".

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Berry did what he could in one year.

Hooper, Conklin, Wills.

Delpit and Greedy gone the whole year.

Woods did not have a full deck.

This off season the emphasis will be defense. Next year we can judge Woods.

IMO Woods was limited on what he could do with the personnel available.

Free agency first then the draft. I don't think we will make trades that would involve roster players.

I just don't think we have players that we would use in trades.

Secondary help will happen. Defensive line will be a target for upgrades and so will linebacker. The draft will be simple BPA. Free agency will be key. IMO we will add 2/3 key players.

Exciting just thinking about it. Ward, Greedy, Delpit, Harrison, and Mitchell will be major contributors in the secondary.

Phillips has a future and his role will increase.
Wilson, and Taki will be situational players.
Linebacker needs a key add.

We need a tackle next to Sheldon with a strong rotation of four players at tackle.

Vernon played well this year. But his situation is a problem. Age, money, injury complicate him returning. He could come back for less money on a short term. But we will need to invest in a DE pass rusher. We have to get more pressure on the quarterback.

Legend
Legend
If there is such a thing anymore, we need a three-down linebacker that is good enough to never come off the field.

We need TWO DE's that scare other teams. Vernon is gone, and when Myles rotates out, we need someone in there that can still create havoc for the other team.

We need TWO DT's because Ogunjobi is likely gone. If we can keep Ogun, then we just need one that is a monster in both Run game and pass rush.

We need help at CB and Safety... call it depth, or make them starters, whichever. Whatever. Delpit is unknown, at best. Greedy is unknown right now. If this season has taught us anything, this defense NEEDS plenty of quality depth in the secondary.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
So if I read you correctly, we need a lot of help on D. wink

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
The off-ball linebacker market is less than ideal at least and we still don't know who's going to re-sign with their current teams.

David is a beast but he's what, 31-ish?
Matt Milano and Jayon Brown can cover well enough but they will likely be looking for Joe Schobert money.

We would either have to run it back with limited vets and look to the draft or explore a trade for a cash strapped team. It's possible we could kick the tires on Avery Williamson, Kwon Alexander or some other guy who was less-than-ideal the past couple seasons (heck maybe even swing for the fences and give Reuben Foster about 925k and yet another chance to resurrect his career :p), but I'm still hoping for a trade option.

Then again, The Jags have no cap reasons to trade Myles Jack, so I guess we continue to try to find the future in the draft.

Ugh...I hate the LBer position.

New plan, build the front 4 and the secondary and let a couple LBers run around in between. There really is a ridiculously limited number of versatile LBers in this league unless you run a 3-4 defense.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard