Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
Looks like it is Bucs for me.

I usually root for the AFC, but the Bucs are an exception. As I explained earlier, I guess I have been a closet Bucs fan since 1976 when they entered the league. I would guess I have been to at least 30 games over the years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

There is a false narrative that the Chiefs or the Bucs are way above all others.

Not really. I don't take anything away the from the Chiefs. There record speaks for itself.

We had them. When Henne threw the pick. I thought we would go right down the field and score. Credit to them for stopping us.
=================================================

We are so close to being great. I don't say that lightly. I have not felt that since 86/87.

Maybe it is better that we do it with our fans in the seats and screaming from the rafters.

I am confident that Berry/Kevin will get the players to make this dream happen.

Pretty clear what needs to happen as far as where we must improve.

Once the season begins then the rush to the playoffs begin.

However, we all know that there are no guarantees. You have to earn it. It is still painful that we were so close.

This year we knock the door down.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Not to be redundant but again, I agree with your take on the subject. When Mahommes went down we had an opportunity and didn't capitalize. I really thought after the INT. we would drive down and score. Maybe next time.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Didn’t see this yesterday but I was rooting for TB to lose (qb and team). But packers losing doesn’t bother me. I’ll be rooting for KC next week.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
All the talk about how great Allen is - I think he is fools gold although he did have a great season. But when the Chips were on the line the same old INACCURATE Allen reared his head. And that 70% accuracy turned to 58% and many key throws to open WRs.

Which makes me wonder is Josh Allen Fools gold that the experts are telling us how great he is...No denying I was amazed at the sudden improvement of Allen. But after watching him in the playoffs especially his last two games. I'm wondering if he is all they were saying he was. We will see I guess after the 2021 season.
jmho

We beat up on the Chiefs I sort of didn't want another team to benefit from our performance that I though we should have won.

But I know the Bills is like our sister team and were the sentimental favorite for Browns fans. but didn't root for any specific team. Just watched and had some favorite players out there. Allen not one of them. Diggs yes, Brady yes, Gronkoski yes, Rogers yes,

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Allen has totally surprised me with his development and ACCURACY.

I think if he was the Browns QB - we'd all be stoked for the future and I don't think we'd be dissing him and suggesting he is fools gold. Out of Lamar, Baker and Allen - Allen is the one who has consistently improved while Baker and Lamar both have had ups and downs.

Don't get me wrong - I was and am 100% all in with Baker. Would not trade him for either of these others ... I just don't think it's fair to brand Allen a fake. I think he will duplicate the season he had this year ... and I think KC did brilliantly to nullify him in that game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I've been impressed with Allen too. He's turning out to be quite the QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Allen has totally surprised me with his development and ACCURACY.

I think if he was the Browns QB - we'd all be stoked for the future and I don't think we'd be dissing him and suggesting he is fools gold.

NAILED IT!

Around here it's not about the player, it's about the uniform.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Sometimes - but not all the time and not even most of the time. But I think we all get caught up in preconceived opinions sometimes.

I wanted no part of Allen - I wouldn't have drafted him at the top of round 2. I was 100% wrong. I did not think it was probable that a QB that had poor accuracy at college (Wyoming no less) would increase his accuracy at the NFL level. He has. More power to him.

Generally I am very much on board with Tab and his optimism about the team - just not this time on Allen.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/26/21 04:32 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It really isn't about tab. Although I'm sure he will want to paint it that way. wink

What it's about are everything from draft picks to second tier players. And it isn't everyone who does it, but it is a lot of people.

Let's just take Mack Wilson for example. He was the 155th pick in the draft.Everyone knows the odds of someone selected that low in the draft have pretty poor odds of being successful in the NFL. Not that they can't or won't, but the odds are very much against it.

Yet when he is drafted for the Browns the expectations far outweigh the odds. Going into this season the expectations were unreal.

That's my only real point here. Had Mack Wilson have been drafted by any other team people would have been far more likely to have set their expectations of him as an NFL player much closer in line with what his odds of success actually were.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with that. We all want our draft picks to succeed. But I do think it's quite accurate to say that wearing a Browns uniform has a direct impact on how most Browns fans look at a player. Much as you described how many people would see Alan differently if he were wearing a Browns uniform.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Oddly enough. I was kind of leaning the opposite direction. I didn't expect Wilson or Takitaki to work out. I kind of like Takitaki now.

But I think most of the hope/ expectation for Wilson was around the dark hole of our linebacker group.

Comparatively, I'm hopeful for Phillips next year, but still anticipate he will be better suited in rotation (meaning, we still really need to get a starting LBer)

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

From the Baker draft Allen had the farthest to go as far as development.

He also has the highest ceiling.

He played for a small school and came up the hard way. He is a tough kid who his teammates love.

He was inaccurate and tried to hard playing hero ball.

He worked his butt off. Has altered his motion and improved his accuracy dramatically.

He had a bad game. At times he slips back to old bad habits.

But he has a bright future and had a great season.

I don't think he is fools gold.

Baker is our guy and I'm good with that.

Honestly, I think Darnold still has a bright future if he gets in the right place. Or, the Jets keep him and improve the talent around him.

Darnold went to the worst situation. He had no chance to succeed.

E
Legend
Legend
E
And I said we will see. I was not impressed with him in the Playoffs he looked more like 2019 than the new improved 2020. My suggestion was I will hold out and see what 2021 shows us if he continues on the path of excellence my hats off to him. But great QBs rise in playoff situations not regress.

ergo my term fools gold and that was used as possibly??? not as a stated fact.

Lamar don't get me started on him...he is without a doubt the greatest running QB in the NFL - but he sucks as a passer.
He got injured at the end of the season and he just might end up getting hurt as he gets hit more n more. Running QBs just don't last physically. They become damaged goods.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's already damaged goods and now that he's gotten hurt it will affect him psychologically. He will be more hesitant to run as he gets older which will undermine his game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Oddly enough. I was kind of leaning the opposite direction. I didn't expect Wilson or Takitaki to work out. I kind of like Takitaki now.

But I think most of the hope/ expectation for Wilson was around the dark hole of our linebacker group.

Comparatively, I'm hopeful for Phillips next year, but still anticipate he will be better suited in rotation (meaning, we still really need to get a starting LBer)

I think we have some decent situational and rotational LBers. We are missing the ONE that can be a legit force. If we had that ONE that could be a force and demand extra attention, I think our other LBs would end up looking much more serviceable in their roles.

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I wanted no part of Allen - I wouldn't have drafted him at the top of round 2. I was 100% wrong. I did not think it was probable that a QB that had poor accuracy at college (Wyoming no less) would increase his accuracy at the NFL level. He has. More power to him.

I'm not sure any draft demonstrates so much how a young QBs success or lack thereof depends on their environment. You cannot convince me that any other team in the league would have had the foresight to turn Lamar into a RB. Allen was drafted into a stable organization and coaching staff, and Daboll has done an amazing job of getting the most out him. Baker has had an up and down few years just like the instability of his organization. And Darnold got drafted to the most dysfunctional franchise in the sport. He's been awful.

While I think Allen's ceiling is the highest, I take Baker over all of them. As much as I've been critical of him game to game, I think his overall game and makeup project the best for long term success. And I am a big Allen fan as well. He would be a close second for me. Allen and Baker have very similar intangibles to me. And their teammates seem to gravitate toward them.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll also add that I saw some Super Bowl odds recently for next year. Browns tenth best at +2500. I like the value there. I think this team is absolutely hungry and will be better than ever next year. Take that bet.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Running QBs just don't last physically. They become damaged goods.

EO...I agree...

...running QBs, they run until they can't run any longer...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IIRC when Josh Allen was coming out there was a story that he had a shoulder operation and the DR's used screws to hold it together. That dropped his value somewhat too.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
IIRC when Josh Allen was coming out there was a story that he had a shoulder operation and the DR's used screws to hold it together. That dropped his value somewhat too.

Collarbone. I remember most people saying it was a non-factor.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Josh Allen definitely improved over last year and he seems to be a good guy that teammates seem to love. He's an easy guy to like...not overly-brash or over-confident...just seems to be a good guy.

Now about that accuracy thing. I believe the ability to improve accuracy - at an NFL level - is a lot like working to be a faster runner. A non-fast person can get fastER...but they will never be a fast runner. I think the same applies to a QB's accuracy. An inaccurate guy can get more accurate...but I don't think he will ever be considered an accurate QB. I believe there is an innate "thing" that comes with accuracy...NFL level accuracy. To a certain extent, you either have it or you don't.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Josh Allen definitely improved over last year and he seems to be a good guy that teammates seem to love. He's an easy guy to like...not overly-brash or over-confident...just seems to be a good guy.

Now about that accuracy thing. I believe the ability to improve accuracy - at an NFL level - is a lot like working to be a faster runner. A non-fast person can get fastER...but they will never be a fast runner. I think the same applies to a QB's accuracy. An inaccurate guy can get more accurate...but I don't think he will ever be considered an accurate QB. I believe there is an innate "thing" that comes with accuracy...NFL level accuracy. To a certain extent, you either have it or you don't.

That's a fantastic explanation - I agree. Of course, once in a while there will be an exception, as there always is.

JA may not be an exception to that rule, but he is an exception to the rule that called him undraftable as a high 1st rounder because of his accuracy.

I argued for the Browns to draft him because of everything else he brought to the table. In my estimation, even if his accuracy never improved, you're trading a rocket arm, size and durability, nearly elite speed (for a QB), and a QB that can throw from any angle to any part of the field... for 2.5 bad passes a game. Combine that with a kid that is "country boy" strong, humble, no baggage, and just wanted the opportunity to work and get better?

I love Baker, but Allen was always the no-brainer in that draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm slightly confused by some of the comments here about Josh Allen. Let's take a look, shall we?

Baker Mayfield 2020 stats.

62.8% completions. 3563 yards. 7.3 yard average. 26 td's and 8 int's.

Josh Allen 2020 stats.

69.2% completions. 4544 yards. 7.9 yard average. 37 td's and 10 int's.

Now I'm not saying I would trade Josh Allen for Baker Mayfield. But what I am saying is that if Josh Allen wore a Browns jersey fans would be singing his raises as much or more than they are Bakers.

I've seen comments about his accuracy, yet his completion percentage is higher than Bakers. In every category his performance over the 2020 season has been as good or slightly better in every category. Yes the circumstances they came into are different. But their current production indicates they are pretty close to even in their performance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Josh has shown incredible improvement, I've been a bit of a closet Bills fan for years, and I'm a JA fan... I watch his games and highlights. I guess one thing I can say is his "inaccuracy" comments point to a fact that he has two or three passes per game (usually) that have you saying "where the heck was he throwing that ball??". Baker has about one every two weeks...

That's the trade-off with Josh so far. Completion % doesn't really reflect that though.

I thought he was the perfect QB for the AFC North, the new "Big Ben" as Ben fades out of the picture. I think one of the most impressive things is his 3rd (or 4th) and short conversion, there is very little chance of stopping him from converting with his feet in a one or two yard situation, it's basically automatic.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Josh Allen 2020 stats.

Looking a bit deeper into the story...

...Josh Allen- 3 yrs under the same Head Coach.
... " " - 3 years with the same Offensive Coordinator and playbook.

...Baker- 3 or 4 HCs in the same 3 yr period.
... " - 3 or 4 Offensive coordinator with 3 or 4 different playbooks.

Is there anyone who doesn't recognize a long known fact in the NFL..that experience and continuity does matter.

The most impressive achievement of Baker's 2020 season was how quickly he was able to learn Stefanski's offense and apply what he learned to the field. All of this during a year when their was less hands on teaching due to Covide 19 and the Browns making the playoffs with a 11-5 record and going 1-1 in the playoffs.

None of us believed the Browns would win 12 games in the 2020 season. I can't wait until the Browns have a season to learn Stefanski's system (hopefully) under normal conditions.

jmo...mac

Last edited by mac; 01/28/21 05:49 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I'm slightly confused by some of the comments here about Josh Allen. Let's take a look, shall we?

Josh Allen 2020 stats.

Now I'm not saying I would trade Josh Allen for Baker Mayfield. But what I am saying is that if Josh Allen wore a Browns jersey fans would be singing his raises as much or more than they are Bakers.

I've seen comments about his accuracy, yet his completion percentage is higher than Bakers. In every category his performance over the 2020 season has been as good or slightly better in every category. Yes the circumstances they came into are different. But their current production indicates they are pretty close to even in their performance.

I agree.

I do think you meant you wouldn't trade Baker for Josh. As typed, it sounds like you are a Bills fan.

Josh Allen is a good QB. If it worked out we had him and not Baker, few would be complaining.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

System schemes make a big difference.

Put Baker with the Bills and Allen with us maybe the numbers look close.

In the end what counts is can you win the Super Bowl with your guy?

IMO I think both guys are fully capable of winning a Super Bowl with the right team around them.

If the Browns defense gets into the top ten of defensive units we can win it all.

2021 could very well be our year. Going into a new season with our coaching staff in place. Having a "normal" pre-season. And with the additions and changes that Berry will make. I am feeling pretty pretty good.

When the defense is capable of getting more punts and giving our offense more opportunities. Look out.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree...if JA were here we'd be very supportive of him and thrilled with his progress.

When I think of accurate QBs, I struggle to think of a QB in the entire league who makes more and/or better throws in tight windows than does Baker. (Rodgers can be ridiculously accurate...and with an awful throwing base.) BM had/has some "touch" issues on short passes that he needs to work on...but that's not an accuracy thing. He makes a handful of throws nearly every game where you just...sort of...jaw-drop on where he puts the ball. His performance/throws on 3rd and long this year was incredible.

When I think about accurate QBs I don't bother looking at completion % as there is a lot that goes into that stat. Drops being the main thing...throwaways being next...playing three straight in driving rain and wind...receiver separation ability (where we are woefully ...well...woeful). To me. accuracy is a thing you see and in context, not read.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not me. For me Baker was and always will be the prize. I think too many fans take one season as an absolute. Consider rookie RG3.

Don't get me wrong, Allen is the most improved and has been quite impressive. He and Lamar benefitted from their situation. In my mind there's no doubt if Baker had gone to either of those teams he'd be looking like the cream of the crop as well.

Now if Allen was here and looking like the Allen of Buffalo I'd be ecstatic and excited for the future. But by no means am I thinking we'd be better off with Allen now.

Allen finally got his deep threat and look at him go. It completely opens the field and makes hard throws look like cake. Same with Mahomes. They're players are always open. And I think Mahomes was touted as having accuracy issues coming out. Stretch the field, get Baker his deep threat and watch how much fun we will have. Baker was always fitting balls into tight spaces. Imagine if he doesn't have to do that.

Here comes the can of worms. I know everyone loves Jarvis, but he's not a deep threat. And OBJ's injuries may be a concern... but as much as we need speed on defense, we need speed on offense as well. Get Baker his Diggs and he will look every bit as good (if not better) as Allen.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree...and to your point about a deep-threat...I don't really see OBJ as being that guy either. Yes...he's fast as can be...but I see him as more of a YAC guy (and I could be completely wrong about that.)

Jarvis and Higgins are excellent route-runners with hands that are very, very good. OBJ is the all-world talent guy but I wouldn't call him as "dependable" as the other two.

In any event, they all thrive in the same part(s) of the field...where the deer, antelope and TEs also roam. You can see - and read - the need for a guy to "take off the top"...and I don't think that guy is on the team.

I want a 6'2"+ guy who is fast and can track a ball...Perriman was excellent in that role in '18...a poor-mans Diggs?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Have we seen OBJ at 100% health yet? Was he when we were learning the offense early on this season (before he got hurt)? I'm not looking for a yes/no answer, as I think that brings up a couple obvious topics (OBJ just scratching the surface in this offense and/or him picking up the injury-prone label (not the same as a guy like Ward that misses lots of games, but still can be as frustrating when you're never getting 100% of someone that should be such a difference-maker).

I think Hodge has shown enough to warrant more looks as the deep threat in our offense. Obviously he's nowhere near the complete package as OBJ, but Hodge has the speed and has flashed some nice hands at times. I think that's something you can build on.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I do like Hodge.

Legend
Legend

I understand where you are coming from with Odell.

However, he is a deep threat. When he is on the field he always draws the deep safety over top with the corner underneath.

When he gets solo coverage. He is the target.

Odell has not played his best with the Browns. There are reasons behind that. Some have to do with coaching. Some of it has to do with Baker.

But most of it comes from Baker and a healthy Odell not being in the same system long enough.

2021 will be different hopefully. My real concern with Odell is injury. He has played two full seasons in seven years.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Mac...what always got my gaul was during the first half of the season I would hear from the "EXPERTS" how we must remember that this is a new system for Brady to experience so we must EXCUSE his negatives. I'm like "WHOA, what about Baker how come he doesn't get a break. All these guys do is look at the stats.

He played against 2 of the hardest defenses in the NFL (Pit n Balt) in the early part of the season. All we heard was how come Baker can't play well against good teams. Of course we then went on to beat the Colts who had one of the best defenses.

Still no respect then we had that string of terrible 30-40 mph wind games and the "EXPERTS" would look at the stats. Oh Baker is bad! Meanwhile he didn't turn the ball over and we won all but the Raider game as that was the last game without Chubb and we couldnt run with just Hunt. Once Chubb came back and the Oh started clicking as Baker AND THE TEAM were in the System for 8 games plus a bye week and we started to click. None of these so called Exerts gave Baker the benefit of the doubt regarding a new system even though it was so obvious.

The kid is just going to get better and better I love it and so happy we will be in the same system. Now the trick will be to keep Hannahan here as long as we can. Also train his replacement.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I do like Hodge.
same here. He’s a valuable blocker and made some good plays in the passing game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Here comes the can of worms. I know everyone loves Jarvis, but he's not a deep threat. And OBJ's injuries may be a concern... but as much as we need speed on defense, we need speed on offense as well. Get Baker his Diggs and he will look every bit as good (if not better) as Allen.

No one has ever considered Jarvis a deep threat. Nor is that how he is used. Nor is that where his value is.

I am in favor of signing Breshad Perriman this offseason.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just a thought. What about Marvin Hall as a deep threat? When we got him all we heard is how fast he is. Is he good enough to consider as a rotational WR?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Just a thought. What about Marvin Hall as a deep threat? When we got him all we heard is how fast he is. Is he good enough to consider as a rotational WR?
i was hoping we’d see more of him against the Jets with the circumstances ... but who knows. I do know Colts fans were mixed on his release

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

Josh Allen 2020 stats.

This is all true. If you look at Josh Allen's stats from last year they are similar (probably a little worse) than Baker's numbers this year... Josh Allen has benefited from being with the same coach for 3 years.. Since Baker should finally get to enjoy a 2nd season in the same system, and based on his progress just from the first half of this season to the second.. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Baker's numbers to take a nice step forward next year.

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think Baker will be an early MVP candidate next year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season NFL 2020 Post Season Now that the Browns are out...

Link Copied to Clipboard