M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I know nothing about him. What sort/level of player is he?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I know nothing about him. What sort/level of player is he?
he was signed to be a big difference maker. Played for the Chargers and was kind of up and coming. But was injured

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
All Pro
All Pro
If he's pushing 16 million/year, we may have to back out. I was hoping for a 2-year, 25 million dollar rental.

We shall see.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
If he's pushing 16 million/year, we may have to back out. I was hoping for a 2-year, 25 million dollar rental.

We shall see.

It depends on the contract structure.

Legend
Legend

I like Carl Lawson a lot but I believe the Bengals will franchise him if they can not get him signed to a extension.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We shall see.

Exactly. You can do it as a four year deal with a mega signing bonus but a tiny first year salary, like OBJ's deal was.

If not 2022, then definitely in 2023 the Cap will shoot back up to pre-Covid predicted levels and EVERYONE will have plenty of space for these contracts. $16MM/year will be just a blip.

Browns is the Browns

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

We shall see.

Exactly. You can do it as a four year deal with a mega signing bonus but a tiny first year salary, like OBJ's deal was.

If not 2022, then definitely in 2023 the Cap will shoot back up to pre-Covid predicted levels and EVERYONE will have plenty of space for these contracts. $16MM/year will be just a blip.

Not only that, but including say $6m roster bonuses makes it easy to cut. For example, a 4 year, 60 million deal can be structured as follows
36m guarantees
+24M signing bonus (6m/year cap hit)
+6m roster bonus in both years 3 and 4
24m salaries
+4m year 1 and 2
+8m year 3 and 4

Cap hits would be
Year 1 - 10m
Year 2 - 10m (dead cap 18m)
Year 3 - 20m (dead cap 12m)
Year 4 - 20m (dead cap 6m)

This would essentially allow us to cut him after 2 years (we'd have dead cap, but would save $8m by cutting him) if we wanted. He'd still end up with 32m over 2 years. Win-win.

We could also keep him at current deal or restructure if we so chose.

Legend
Legend
For the record, OBJ's salary in Year 1 of his current contract was only $1.5M.... and to offset that, you simply change each successive year to being $9MM salary, and you just preserved 3 million for 2021 (that could carry over to 2022).

You could also just add a 5th year with a salary of $16 million. The per-year hit from that signing bonus is spread even thinner, making each year more affordable, and still totally benefits both parties. You could even bump the signing bonus to $30MM and have the per-year hit remain the same, but it allows him to reap an even bigger pay day up front.

BUT, one of the organizational guiderails is to be able to cut ties with any deal after two years, three at most. So, my idea isn't the best.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

My hope is that is BS. If not, I hope we say no thanks. I would rather sign some others as well as be stuck with a broken down D-lineman in the twilight of his career.

My theory is sign players for who that are, not who they were.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The FO knows more than me about the JJ Watt situation but to me 15-16 million is an awful lot for him. He is 31 and has been hurt. We could probably get 2 good and younger FA for that money and help in 2 areas of need instead of 1. Again our FO knows more than me. JMO

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Veterans only playing three games the previous season should not be paid much. Casey, like Kawaan Short, would be a great add as a minimum contract player. Anything more than that would be an overpay.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Veterans only playing three games the previous season should not be paid much. Casey, like Kawaan Short, would be a great add as a minimum contract player. Anything more than that would be an overpay.

Nah, just make the contract incentive based.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
10 year veteran.... that's still a good chunk of money.
Give him a decent signing bonus, minimum salary, and bonuses based on playing time, games played, etc...

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't think you are going to get many good players on minimum contracts, and paying over that wouldn't be overpaying IMO, but I do hear you. There has to be a thread of restraint used.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

Read a blurb where DL Malik Jackson will be cut from the Eagles, along with WR Alshon Jeffery (both will each count 22 mill against the cap this year...as the Eagles had them restructure their contracts that way) For the right price Malik Jackson would be a nice addition to our DT room.

Legend
Legend
I think we will definitely be doing some shopping soon.

Browns is the Browns

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I want to believe that the front office is a tad bit more frugal than to just offer up 15..

THey know we have huge holes in our Defense everywhere... it'd be irresponsible to go all in on one vet when the market will be swimming...

Unless they can do some cap manipulation...

C
Legend
Legend
C
There is no way Watt’s cap hit would be $15 million if we sign him.

L
Legend
Legend
L
yeah no way we are buyers at 15 for a broke down wrong side of 30 DE.. especially with so many teams in cap hell.. if I'm throwing 15 at a player its going to be Williams, theres going to be a surplus of pass rushers on the market at value.. If anything, this waiting game Watt is playing will hurt him as more players become available

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
yeah no way we are buyers at 15 for a broke down wrong side of 30 DE.. especially with so many teams in cap hell.. if I'm throwing 15 at a player its going to be Williams, theres going to be a surplus of pass rushers on the market at value.. If anything, this waiting game Watt is playing will hurt him as more players become available

I agree, but I don't think he is waiting because he wants to wait. Teams are waiting for the final list of free players.

Why jump in on Watt before you know everybody available?

If you want to pay high, sign him today. Next week the price will drop to around half the numbers he is throwing around today.

What he was worth 3-4 years ago isn't what he is worth today.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

A player worth is sometimes a hard thing to figure.

In the end it becomes what someone is willing to pay.

Legend
Legend
Casey is someone I liked in Tennessee ... that price tag will have to come way down tho

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Lost in all this $$$ talk are the other things that go into his decision. Pretty sure he wants to play for a contender, and perhaps one with a Watt-sized hole along the Dline. Though it usually goes hand in hand with winning and being a contender, he probably wants to go to a place that isn't a dumpster fire, organizationally and culturally.

I think that will complicate the matter beyond simply who throws down the fattest stack of cash.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

JJ has a wife originally from Utah.

He has a young child.

Part of going to another team and all the considerations that will go into his decision.

Where to live with family?

He will make big money. He can choose a contender. He can like or dislike a quarterback. He can like a coach or not.
He can like the system and players or not.

But part of any decision of where to go with wife and kids.
Do I want to live there? Will my wife and child like it?

We have no idea about JJ and his wife and how they feel about living in Cleveland?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Packers or Bills for JJ, maybe Titans. Cle doubtful...

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish

He has a young child.

Part of going to another team and all the considerations that will go into his decision.

He will make big money. He can choose a contender. He can like or dislike a quarterback. He can like a coach or not.

We have no idea about JJ and his wife and how they feel about living in Cleveland?

His wife is a professional athlete playing in Chicago. They've been in different cities for the last year (she used to play for Houston). The kid thing must be brand new, she was still playing soccer 4 months ago.

Regardless, unless she is quitting playing soccer professionally, I don't think it will matter much if she likes where he lives (though one would think she'd prefer Chicago).

C
Legend
Legend
C
JJ Watt doesn’t have any kids.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JJ Watt doesn’t have any kids.

Though he has made a lot of opponents want to scream Uncle through the years. tongue

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Texans cut Duke Johnson.

link

I think we're set at RB, but I am curious to see where he lands.

Fiercely Independent.
All Pro
All Pro
I wonder what they'd give us for D'Ernest Johnson in a trade?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
It will be interesting.

Strange (and alarming) to think that just a handful of years back he was one of the biggest threats on our offense.

I always liked him.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bag of donuts.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Krispy Kreme or Dunkin'?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Didn't they give us a ton for him via trade and sign him to a ludicrous contract? My memory is that acquiring Duke and handing him the contract they did was the beginning of the BOB spiral.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
The Texans cut Duke Johnson.

link

I think we're set at RB, but I am curious to see where he lands.

in a retirement home.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

He has a young child.

True.

His wife plays professional soccer with a team in Chicago.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
It will be interesting.

Strange (and alarming) to think that just a handful of years back he was one of the biggest threats on our offense.

I always liked him.

He was never meant to be a feature back.

He was AMAZING (yes I stand by this) as a pass catcher. He still has one of the best catches by any Browns receiver (let alone RB) in my lifetime.

He should've been used like we used Kareem this year. Use his speed late in games and as a pass catcher throughout especially in the red zone.

The problem is our teams were always so bad they never got to the red zone anyways.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Released Players Con't.....

Link Copied to Clipboard