Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a very skewed stat. Tom Brady had been an active participant in NE's cap management for most (if not all) of the decade.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Does that skew it or reinforce it?

The fact remains, that his teams consistently went to the Super Bowl and it was largely in part to him being willing to not eat up every penny he could so that the team could get/keep other players.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Maybe ... but if no team has won paying more than 12.5% of cap space to their QB.... then maybe Brady's attitude and willingness to compromise his pay is the example other's that have a desire to win a SB above everything else is the one to follow. If it was me? I'd rather be winning SB's and going to SB's and making (picking numbers out of the air) Drew Brees money $25 million per - than missing out and getting Dak money at $40m per and playing on a substantially lesser team. There's nothing in life I can't provide for my family at the lower salary vs the higher salary. Those two QB's are at different stages of life (Drew just retired! LOL) but whenever Baker signs, it'll be a multi year deal with a huge guarantee ... to me it doesn't need to set the record for being the highest paid QB in the NFL. Just how I see it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, skews....

Expecting your guy... or basing your strategy around your main guy taking less just isn't viable, IMO. Maybe the org can get to that point with Baker, but the earliest that would be is his 3rd contract.

It just so against the grain for the players, I don't see it as a viable strategy for most teams.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Baker will definitely deserve to get paid and be taken care of big time, but hopefully he takes a page from Tom Brady's book and leaves some on the table to keep the rest of the team going strong.

Browns is the Browns

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Higgins is more valuable to the Browns than any other team. That, combined with a flooded wide receiver market, is why he got paid what he did.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
IMO, skews....

Expecting your guy... or basing your strategy around your main guy taking less just isn't viable, IMO. Maybe the org can get to that point with Baker, but the earliest that would be is his 3rd contract.

It just so against the grain for the players, I don't see it as a viable strategy for most teams.

I don't think it is a Team strategy at all. . . I think it is a Player strategy if they want to win SB's. Mahomes may end up being a great example - he's as talented or more talented than anyone in the NFL. He's got a great team around him ... what happens to that team over the next 3 years after his mega deal will be interesting.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
RH was a good and needed resigning. Glad we kept him. thumbsup

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
This is great news. Less than I thought he'd get, but that's good for the Browns. Lets all hope he lights it up and earns a long term deal with us in '22.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm glad they got a deal done with Higgins. What everyone needs to consider beyond the emotions is that Higgins had the chance to test the market. He had the opportunity to find out what his value was around the league.

Now we know what the NFL thinks his value is worth. It's certainly not close to what some posters thinks it is.

He's a solid contributor. He's a good WR to have.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think they gave him 1 year to see how OBJ and Higgins play out this year. If OBJ isnt cutting it and Higgins is, We give Higgins more years and money and let OBJ go.

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
While OBJ being out of the lineup definitely gives more reps to Higgins, I think they fill different roles within the offense. I don't think you can really say, "we can survive without OBJ because we have Higgins". I think that argument might be more applicable to Jarvis.

I think DPJ might be the closest thing we have to a stand-in for OBJ... and I hesitate a bit in saying that (really, we don't have an OBJ replacement on the roster).

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Good news. I wanted him back.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I think they gave him 1 year to see how OBJ and Higgins play out this year. If OBJ isnt cutting it and Higgins is, We give Higgins more years and money and let OBJ go.

That seems like a stretch to me. I don't see see Higgy as a possible replacement for OBJ.

Think of it this way, would you swap OBJ for Higgy? If not, he isn't a replacement.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am thinking more along the lines of , if OBJ tanks for some reason

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Baker will definitely deserve to get paid and be taken care of big time, but hopefully he takes a page from Tom Brady's book and leaves some on the table to keep the rest of the team going strong.

I don't know Baker Mayfield from Adam, so I certainly can't be expected to accurately predict how he (and his agent) decide to negotiate. I do think I'm a reasonably good judge of personality traits and general character.

From all I've seen, BM seems like the kind of dude for whom wins, prestige, records and legacy are more important than bank. I suspect that he'd be the kind of guy to place a cap on his own income, to ensure that he maintained a winning cast around him.

On the subject of Rashard Higgins: I love that he got himself a new contract with CLE. He and Baker have had simpatico almost since Day One. Any time you can lock down something like that, you do it. The Bake/Hig connex has been money. Maintain consistency as much as you can, where practicable. THAT'S how a team builds not just seasonal chemistry, but culture.

A team that finds itself at CLE's evolutionary stage should do all it can to nail down the players whose chemistry got them there (keep that core- augment with your rotating cast).

Mr. Higgins locks down an important cog in The Machine.
I'm a fan of this development.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am very pleased with the signing. He is a good player..

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I generally get the same vibe, and, to add to that, he already supplements his income with tons of commercials, so money from football may not be as important. He'll still want and deserve to get paid, but I don't think his ego is hitched to being the highest paid ever like some other QBs.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doesnt Bradys wife make more than him?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Doesnt Bradys wife make more than him?

Yes, she does and it's not close.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I need to clarify. She is worth double of Brady's net worth. 400 mil to 200 mil.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

A "no-brained"? Lol

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ummmmmm...No brainer Hollywood.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Higgins actually said "no brainer" in the presser, the tweet by Tom Withers misspelled it. He (Withers) probably fat-fingered the "r" and hit the "d" instead.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
Higgins actually said "no brainer" in the presser, the tweet by Tom Withers misspelled it. He (Withers) probably fat-fingered the "r" and hit the "d" instead.

I guessed most would come to that conclusion too.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Still, it makes for a very funny tweet-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’d like to to take this time, and give it up for Kareem and Rashard,

Those hometown discounts will not go unnoticed.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I generally get the same vibe, and, to add to that, he already supplements his income with tons of commercials, so money from football may not be as important. He'll still want and deserve to get paid, but I don't think his ego is hitched to being the highest paid ever like some other QBs.

Gronkowski hasn't spent a dime of his NFL paychecks. Just lives off his endorsements. Baker could easily be doing this.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave

Are we sure?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
The presser was broadcast on local radio. I heard him say "no brainer".

P
Legend
Legend
P
Gotta love HOLLYWOOD thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was just poking fun (though I'm not really sure at who anymore)...

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Rashard Higgins

Link Copied to Clipboard