Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
States fight back against Biden war on the West
Stephen Moore 12 hrs ago
Biden's $2T spending plan, billed as infrastructure bill, spends less than half on infrastructure

President Ronald Reagan used to refer to our country as "these United States," not "the United States."

That may seem to be an inconsequential grammatical difference, but a whole different philosophy of our system of government is embedded in that phraseology. Reagan reinforced the traditional notion of American federalism: that the states created the federal government, not the other way around.

The states are to serve as "laboratories of democracy." Our Founding Fathers' ingeniousness was recognizing that healthy competition between the states was the best way to devise policy solutions.

This brings us to President Joe Biden. No president in modern times, and perhaps ever, has shown such contempt for our system of federalism.

So I was thrilled to see this headline from, of all places, Alaska: "Governor Dunleavy Tells Feds Alaska Is Taking Over 800,000 Miles of River."

Alaska is asserting its right as a state to control its lakes and rivers. Gov. Mike Dunleavy is so fed up, and he has asked the Biden administration to "stop bothering Alaskans."

Bravo.

We need governors and state lawmakers to show much more of this peaceful defiance when Washington oversteps. That's happening a lot lately. Biden has declared no more drilling on federal lands in the West, and this federal directive will cost these states potentially trillions of dollars. The authorities are also planning to take millions of acres of land in the West out of development.

The Biden team wants to overturn state right-to-work laws that have been a half-centurylong tradition in most Western states. The Treasury Department has even now asserted authority to intervene and stop states, such as Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Montana, from cutting taxes in their states. Simultaneously, wealthy coastal states are looking to eliminate the state and local tax deduction limits included in former President Donald Trump's 2017 tax package. The current limit is $10,000, and eliminating it would likely favor wealthier, liberal taxpayers whom Democrats always say do not pay "their fair share." The Biden administration might want to urge New York and California to ease the tax burdens in those states instead of taking it out on Western states.

Westerners are rightly infuriated that members of Congress from Delaware, New York, and Massachusetts, who have little or no knowledge about how to manage resources, are telling the farmers, miners, and ranchers in places like Colorado, Montana, and Utah what they can do with their own property.

Twenty-one state attorneys general in primarily Mountain and Southern states are suing Washington for blocking their prerogative to run their own fiscal policies.

They say that Biden is violating the 10th Amendment, which ensures that all rights not explicitly granted to the federal government "reside with the states and the people."

For the future of our republic, let's pray that the courts agree.

Tags:

Original Author: Stephen Moore

Original Location: States fight back against Biden war on the West

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/states-fight-back-against-biden-war-on-the-west

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
No president in modern times, and perhaps ever, has shown such contempt for our system of federalism

rofl Short memories and no common sense. Typical. Alaska taxes helped pay for a useless wall and now they bitch. rofl Alaska, Texas and Florida are all in the the same state.........denial.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
So there are no facts or statistics. Just a hit piece. Nobody "stopped drilling on federal land". Only new drilling. We can start there with the first lie and go from there. These are and have been federal lands for a very long time. Until trump came along new drilling was very limited.

This isn't some new "Biden thing". Try posting something that has some substance and facts.

That's all you guys do is claim someone "started a war" with you. The "war on Christmas" that never happened. The "war on Christianity" that never happened. You poor victims.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You have to understand that the Washington Examiner is the right wing conduit to get their message out. A newsprint version Fox News.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Holy hyperbole. And that's coming from someone who agrees with the notion that more powers should be granted to the states. However, I think there needs to be consistency across the board. States' rights are one of those issues where I feel like both sides pound the concept, but only when it's convenient to them.

If Alaska wants to make these assertions, fine. I would ask Alaska to in turn do something about its place as the #2 state that relies on federal aid for its budget. Montana needs to do the same.

Utah, South Dakota, and Nebraska have more of a right to make these assertions in my mind because they practice more what they preach.

Otherwise, it's like that 22 year old who moved back in after college and says "You can't tell me what to do! I'm an adult!"...and then "Hey, can I have money for food, gas, clothes and borrow the car?"

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The fear factor is insane. The guy has been president for 2.5 months, and already he carries the moniker of the president who "shows the most contempt for our federalism."

If that's not a war cry to the ignorant, I don't know what is.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what they have become and even some long time Republicans are saying it. They aren't saying what they can do for America. They're instead running the fear game of look what the left is doing to you. In the 2020 elections, Republicans didn't even write and put forth a party platform. They ran strictly on fear.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, when you got nothing else...

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Typical comments.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Typical response from you.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Why do you retreat when faced with facts?

Biden poised to halt new fossil fuel leasing on federal land and water Wednesday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/25/biden-drilling-moratorium/

I know you don't "do links" because they may not suit what you want to see, but the fact is the only thing impacted are "new leases" for the time being. It does not have any effect on current drilling.

Why do you post things that have no links, provide no statistics to back them up and then run like your ass is on fire when people show you the truth?

All you can come up with as a rebuttal to those facts is "typical response". It's hilarious.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
“War on the west”

So is endorsing white supremacist views against the rules of the pound?

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
What?

I hardly think posting an article I though interesting about states standing up to federal over reach a drumbeat for white supremacy.

Whatever...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quite honestly, the article is incoherent.

And by the way, California, Oregon and Washington are in the west and would like the blue state tax repealed.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Typical comments.

Which ones? My deduction about the states I’m pretty sure was the only time I have ever posted such a thing.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
There has become a phobia of white political interests.

They'll call it hate.

Heck some would probably even fear frosty the snowman for the color and try and cancel it next.

Even so, it's not a part of this article and decision by Alaska and states.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Please elaborate on what are “white political interests”.

Or are you going to run and hide like the other five million times people have asked you to clarify like you did on your ghost handle?

O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Oh have they? I haven't been reading them for much of the last 60 days ish.

I think it's pretty self explanatory.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Nah, elaborate. I’m in the dark here.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
You have to understand that the Washington Examiner is the right wing conduit to get their message out. A newsprint version Fox News.

Exactly why they should just be ignored...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
What?

I hardly think posting an article I though interesting about states standing up to federal over reach a drumbeat for white supremacy.

Whatever...

Only it's totally inaccurate.

First off, here's the headline.... "Biden's $2T spending plan, billed as infrastructure bill, spends less than half on infrastructure". Then there's zero in the article that covers this.

It goes on to infer that somehow Biden is responsible for taking over state waterways due to his "contempt for federalism." That's a lie. These lands and waterways have been under federal protection and control for decades and in many cases much longer.

Then we have this little gem.... "That's happening a lot lately. Biden has declared no more drilling on federal lands in the West, and this federal directive will cost these states potentially trillions of dollars." Which is another blatant lie. Drilling has not been stopped on any federal land. Notice "federal land". The only thing that has been stopped is "more drilling leases on federal land". The only thing stopped was expanding the drilling.

What you did was post an article that said things "you want to hear". You did zero fact checking and posted something full of blatant lies. It's why intelligent people such as yourself are now following the path Boehner described in another thread. It's no longer about facts with people such as yourself. It's no longer about truth.

It's all about Feelings. The feelings you have about certain things that make you believe anything someone says that promotes those feelings. It doesn't have to be true as long as it feels right.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

Exactly why they should just be ignored...

The New York Times Times is a left-wing conduit with un-named sources to get their message out. A newsprint version CNN.

Exactly why they should be ignored...see Bari Weiss's resignation! crazy

P
Legend
Legend
P
Why go half way with CNN when you could have gone full lib with MSNBC? wink

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I think the point is it depends on which you believe and which you don't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
What? You have facts and then you have beliefs. Those aren't he same thing. I gave you facts.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Heck some would probably even fear frosty the snowman for the color and try and cancel it next.

Nah.... I'd just confront him with my wife's Vidal Sassoon hair dryer and yell, "Say hello to my li'l friend!"

Problem: solved.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It doesn't have to be true as long as it feels right.

We call that: "Truthiness."

P
Legend
Legend
P
Don't you find it funny how the same people who say the left lives in fear can't even manage to go to Kroger without carrying a gun? I sure do.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Don't you find it funny how the same people who say the left lives in fear can't even manage to go to Kroger without carrying a gun? I sure do.

Yes... as long as you put the word funny in quotes.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B

I have never said the left lives in fear. A state of confusion possibly, but not fear. wink

I have news for you, you have been around guns and never knew it. And I know that you know that. Ironically, I do have to admit that you seem fearful things will turn in to the wild west down at the Kroger.

My thinking is if somebody is set to go shoot 'em up at the Kroger, they are going to no matter the laws on the books. I don't think your everyday gun owner is now going to see this as their chance.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with that mostly, but it's always the not normal guy or the guy that has just been through some things that tends to snap and shoot the place up. Making sure guys like you are able to carry a gun under their jacket is ok with a license and a mental health assessment IMHO, but not just as okey doke blanket policy... If every Tom, Dick, and Harry can conceal a weapon eventually something is going to happen and it won't be good. I know I wouldn't want a bar full of drunks with guns even though I know some guns are in the bars now. And I don't want the place I'm taking my grandkids to for a night out to have guns all over either.

If I had my way, you would have to keep and maintain an annual hunting license to have a long gun and a home defense permit/concealed carry permit for pistols. They could make those free to get with a mental health check and I think that would suffice. That way everybody does a safety course, understands the law and the punishment if you screw up. But that would make entirely too much sense and somebody would then worry that the government knows who has guns.

But imagine somebody getting caught with a gun and no permit... you could slam them good under this scenario and take some bad guns off the street. License/permit OR surrender the gun, that easy.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's what I'm smart enough to realize. When you make it legal for person who has never owned, fired or handled a gun before to buy a firearm and instantly tuck it into a holster and carry it, you just set a new precedent in motion that makes our society more dangerous than it was before.

Since getting a CCW permit is such an easy process there's really no reason not to. That means the vast majority of those who conceal carry have a basic understanding of handling and firing a weapon.

You think changing all of that is just fine. I think common sense dictates otherwise.

Just don't be surprised by the backlash and remember when gun laws become even more strict, it's the promotion of such reckless behavior that helped bring it about. That's why sometimes I think many current gun owners who keep yelling "mah rights!", are their own worst enemy.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Wrong thinking in the very first line.

You can't "make it legal"

Guns are a constitutional right.

Like it or not.
it's not, "Why Johnny can't read"

it's, "Why Johnny's gun ain't none of your dang business."

A
Legend
Legend
A
It appears to have been okay in Maine. https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201..._for_crime.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just watch and learn. If you would like to see How gun laws work or don't work on a global basis I would be glad to provide that for you.

I'm not a proponent of strict gun laws. I am a proponent of common sense.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Common sense tells me it doesn't matter. How many gun laws are criminals already breaking?

You will be good until they legislate you a law breaker, but then it's too late my friend.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Just watch and learn. If you would like to see How gun laws work or don't work on a global basis I would be glad to provide that for you.

Please, do. I showed you 1 state that did exactly what you are scared of, and it appears to be just fine.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Please, do. I showed you 1 state that did exactly what you are scared of, and it appears to be just fine.

Of course it is. Regular people aren't the ones shooting people in schools and stores.

If I was a student in a school, locked in a room because of a active shooter, I'd be pretty happy if my teacher pulled out his or her .38.

Pit would too...assuming he was in a classroom and not down in the office for some infraction. tongue

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Which is the very definition of anecdotal evidence.

Permitless Carry

Carrying a Concealed Gun in Public with No Permit and No Training

https://everytownresearch.org/report/per...nd-no-training/

This shows you that those without permits which require training do far poorer with guns than those who have training. Your argument goes against everything that even 80% of gun owners believe. Against law enforcement. From a former certified gun instructor.

It's like saying nobody needs drivers training to get a drivers license.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus "These United States" states fight back

Link Copied to Clipboard