Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good solid pick. Can't complain about that.

We let the board come to us and got the reward of solid value at the position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Love the pick.

Secondary has no excuses..

Now lets get this defensive front 6/7 better..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend

It was not so long ago, when a player got a call from Cleveland, they weren’t as excited. #Turnaround #NFLDraft2021 Let’s GO!!!

https://twitter.com/DanDeRoos19/status/1388086529738870785

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Thank goodness the Browns front office used the #26 draft pick to add more talent to an area that is still somewhat of a question mark..CB.

Not sure what this pick means for Greedy Williams future in the NFL and with the Browns. Recovering from a nerve damage type injury is tough to do.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. Rock solid pick, can’t remember when I read it or if it was on NFL network but I know they interviewed him and really liked him. The Clowney signing really signaled to me that Edge wouldn’t be our top pick. We needed another corner, especially on a 5 year deal. FA corners are $$$. I think we will see a LB in our next selection, plenty of good choices available, I preferred JOK as our 1 st pick, wouldn’t mind using our 3rds to move up to get him as a Lamar killer

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

Thank goodness the Browns front office used the #26 draft pick to add more talent to an area that is still somewhat of a question mark..CB.

Not sure what this pick means for Greedy Williams future in the NFL and with the Browns. Recovering from a nerve damage type injury is tough to do.

Yep....not sure if the pick impacts Greedy, but his dead arm very well could.

I like that we aren't banking on his return. A one armed CB isn't going to be very effective.

If he does, that's great. Ward is in a pivotal season. He has a lot of health questions. Having solid replacements available will make it easier to let him walk if it come to that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Not impressed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Or, are they considering not extending Ward?

We are going to be giving a huge contract to Baker. Chubb, Teller, and Ward will be wanting big contracts. Can we afford them all? Perhaps the front office likes Teller and Chubb better than Ward and we are planning ahead for his departure if Greedy is healthy and plays well.

Just an alternative thought

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
Not impressed.

Not to be confrontational, but why?

Is it that you don't think he is very good or is it because you wanted somebody else or another position?

Obviously our FO liked and wanted him and felt he met any needs criteria..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree, this was a bad pick. Greg Newsome II was injured often and had a lot of PI penalties in college.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
Not to be confrontational, but why?

Was going to ask the same in general to those that don’t like the pick. Who did you want that you feel is better? I love the pick, solid move at 26.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Your above reply answered my question.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Let’s see our secondary:

CB - Ward, Newsome, Hill, Greedy, Stewart
S - Harrison, Delpit, Johnson

That seems much better.

I still think we’ll draft another mid round dude to add here

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Not saying I know more than our FO but they could be wrong about Newsome. He was injured a lot and also had lots of PI penalties at NW.

I could be wrong, which wouldn't be the first time, but I see him as more of a backup than starter.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think the Browns should assume that Greedy won't be back.

Either way, I think we are STILL light at the CB position.

Legend
Legend
I agree. Greedy is a big wild card.

I also would remind: there are still vets who are unsigned, even if they are like a 4th/5th CB type

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Welcome and hope he is a stud. I was so fixated on JOK dropping to us that I felt a bit flat - but you can never have too many good CB's. I like this guys tenacity and athletic ability, that's a good combo. Age and athleticism is clearly a calling card for AB - hope he has a winning formula there.

JOK falling does have me scratching my head - I was expecting Zaven Collins to fall after reports of him beefing up for his pro day. I guess we will see which direction this goes in. If JOK isn't one of the first couple names off the board today after being a top 15-20 pick on every draft board I saw pre-Draft ... then there is clearly a red flag out there that all the teams are aware of.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
At this point - with Ward, Hill and Newsome - I think you have 3 quality starters. Greedy is a bonus / wildcard depending on how you view it. I'm more than happy adding depth to the CB position but would prefer veteran help at this point and signing CB's for 4th/5th depth type $$$

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
There was better talent available that would have filled a bigger need. LB for instance. I think J.O. Koramoah from Notre Dame would've been a better pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can teach hands and can teach him to wrap instead of trying to blow people up but you cant teach feet, hips and instinct. The kid has those attributes. Loved greedy com I ng out but nerves are tricky. Reach gor a cold one and loose feelings in your limbs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Welcome and hope he is a stud. I was so fixated on JOK dropping to us that I felt a bit flat - but you can never have too many good CB's. I like this guys tenacity and athletic ability, that's a good combo. Age and athleticism is clearly a calling card for AB - hope he has a winning formula there.

JOK falling does have me scratching my head - I was expecting Zaven Collins to fall after reports of him beefing up for his pro day. I guess we will see which direction this goes in. If JOK isn't one of the first couple names off the board today after being a top 15-20 pick on every draft board I saw pre-Draft ... then there is clearly a red flag out there that all the teams are aware of.

I agree on JOK and said much the same in another thread.

There seems to be a big difference between what the Pre-draft rating were and what is happening to JOK. It makes me wonder if the teams know something about the kid we don't.

Maybe his interviews were bad. maybe his coaches didn't have glowing reports for one reason or another.

As for Collins gaining weight, that makes he think the teams have told him that his NFL position will be a hand in the dirt player. I would hope that is the case and it isn't "Cheetos" weight.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont see lb as abigger need than corner. Kid from indy is solid. Kid we drafted last year can play. I would have loved collins or jamin but honestly imho corner is much greater concern.

We will draft one today. There is some really good ones out there, I would not be opposed go tradingup for the Irish linebacker. Use some of those later picks.

Legend
Legend

When you look at how the picks came off. IMO it came to scheme fit, and need.

Raiders took a lineman instead of defense.

JOK is a terrific football player. It was just the way the draft played out.

I think we will hold with our pick in the second and take a linebacker. Jabril Cox or Nick Bolden if he is there.

We have Walker and Smith on one year contracts.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
There was better talent available that would have filled a bigger need. LB for instance. I think J.O. Koramoah from Notre Dame would've been a better pick.

JOK would have been a great pick too. Wondering why he is falling so far. I think our defense doesn’t value LB as much as d-line and DB. We need to beat Mahomes, cover the receivers for a half second more and give Clowney and Garrett a little more time to apply pressure. I see us playing 1 or 2 LBs most of the time so I’m guessing we just don’t value the position as much.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Jester
Or, are they considering not extending Ward?

We are going to be giving a huge contract to Baker. Chubb, Teller, and Ward will be wanting big contracts. Can we afford them all? Perhaps the front office likes Teller and Chubb better than Ward and we are planning ahead for his departure if Greedy is healthy and plays well.

Just an alternative thought

I think if Ward misses significant time again this coming season then this becomes a real conversation. What will make this even more interesting is if Greedy's situation lingers into this season, or if he comes back and it's obvious the shoulder is going to hamper him into the future.

More likely, IMO, is that when it comes time to extend Ward, he won't see the #'s he originally had in mind.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, it seems like Berry definitely comes up with a value for a player - I'm assuming based on the market and based on analytics - and really sticks to it. I imagine that part of the valuation for Ward will be his injury history, which could become a point of contention in negotiations.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Could have prioritized re signing the DB's who actually took the field for the most snaps off your team in 2021.
Not just Mitchell, but the other one.

The other one? I am trying to decide if he sounds better or worse than "some guy named Blake".

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Yeah, it seems like Berry definitely comes up with a value for a player - I'm assuming based on the market and based on analytics - and really sticks to it. I imagine that part of the valuation for Ward will be his injury history, which could become a point of contention in negotiations.

I don't expect we will sign Ward again. I think the gap between what he views his value and what we do will be to wide to bridge.

If a FA situation, there is a good chance there is going to be someone willing to spend more.

It's like we have a pie chart and each player is slotted in to their portion of the pie. If we have a player who we can't fit, we look elsewhere.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
First off, Get well, Tabber!

A couple of things about that video that struck me:

First, the repoir the two have. The way they were joking around and ribbing each other a little.... that is a damn good working relationship right there. These are guys who are definitely on the same team and working together. You can see and hear that the days of personality conflicts in our front office are behind us.

Next, and perhaps part of the first item, I don't think I ever realized that they were both DB's in college. There's a little bit of cool in that, to me.

Lastly, it sounds like we got a really darn good one in Greg Newsome II. I liked what I saw in the video of how he is eager to play the ball and how well he mirrors the WR and runs their route. We, very seriously, might well have the best & deepest secondary in the NFL.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't expect we will sign Ward again. I think the gap between what he views his value and what we do will be to wide to bridge.

If a FA situation, there is a good chance there is going to be someone willing to spend more.

It's like we have a pie chart and each player is slotted in to their portion of the pie. If we have a player who we can't fit, we look elsewhere.

There's a good possibility that Ward already let the team know that he wants to test the market when his time rolls around. Either way, even if nothing of the sort happened, we are now - hopefully - covered. If Ward leaves, that's a big compensatory pick and we have a guy in the pipeline.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's a good analogy. If he was a premier corner who could play a 16 game season, he'd deserve top dollar, too. It's the durability that really factors in. If you break down the salary into what you're paying the player on a "per hour of play" basis, it puts things into a different light.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Hang tough Tabber.

Stay positive and will it to work.

Newsome is a great pick. Great player at a premier position that we have a need for.

IMO we will go linebacker next. Both Walker and Smith are both one one year deals

All Pro
All Pro
Another year...and CB's go early and safeties (and pseudo-safties like JOK) fall.

This is starting to get predictable. I can't believe the Packers took Stokes.

Newsome wasn't my 1st choice, but with the degenerative knee reports on Ojulari, I'm good with the pick.

Comparing the 2020 backfield with this year's is just silly at this point.

Though with JOK and Barmore out there, I'd like to try to trade up in the 2nd now smile.

The Raiders are killing me.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
He reminds me a lot of Justin Gilbert

He reminds me of Denzel Ward.

The only thing he has in common is that he has missed at least 3 games in each of the last 3 seasons.

Newsome is a cb that plays off a lot.

He only played 6 games last season and left his last one with a groin injury.

In terms of traits.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

There's a good possibility that Ward already let the team know that he wants to test the market when his time rolls around. Either way, even if nothing of the sort happened, we are now - hopefully - covered. If Ward leaves, that's a big compensatory pick and we have a guy in the pipeline.

Newsome has no bearing on Ward. Ward will be signed long term. The only one at risk of not being signed long term is Chubb and that's only because of the value placed on the RB position.

Last year was evidence that you can never have too many quality DBs.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Newsome has no bearing on Ward. Ward will be signed long term. The only one at risk of not being signed long term is Chubb and that's only because of the value placed on the RB position.

Last year was evidence that you can never have too many quality DBs.

Chubb is not going anywhere 2nd contract. While that position has lost value Chubb is a valuable player to this organization. He produces in the run game, he produces in the pass game, he is a cultural change player in the lockerroom. He will be resigned.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
If Chubb was a normal RB, I'd be inclined to agree.
He is not a normal RB.

For Ward, if you re-read what I wrote, it was speculative that WARD may want to test free agency - it is entirely a possibility - and if that were the case, then there is absolutely nothing the team can do short of a transition/franchise tag which commits even more money to the position. Thus, Newsome is talent and depth for now, but he is also insurance and a reload for the future.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not to get off topic, but I agree, Chubb is definitely different. I wouldn't be surprised to see this FO franchise tag him twice before giving him a long term deal.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Not to get off topic, but I agree, Chubb is definitely different. I wouldn't be surprised to see this FO franchise tag him twice before giving him a long term deal.

This is the move.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

There are a hand full of players I would have felt comfortable with them selecting at #26. New2 was one of them. This FO has their methods and scheme fit seems to be an important part of the puzzle.

Will they make mistakes and make some errors in the draft? Most likely. Nobody bats 1.000. But this is the most comfortable I've felt in some time that all cylinders are working together in the engine we call The Cleveland Browns.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Browns select Greg Newsome with the 26th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard