Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Legend
Legend
O
He still has battered Browns fan syndrome and is waiting for the other shoe to fall. The pressure he is creating in his own mind is slowly driving him crazy.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Once he was sure we wouldn't have Pitts or Etienne he went off the deep end.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think they might be thinking he can be OBJ's eventual replacement since I doubt we extend him.

I don't think so. OBJ is a #1 and I don't see Schwartz becoming a #1. He is a speed guy that we can move around and match up against teams but being the #1 is different. If we need to replace OBJ in a couple of years we will have to draft or sign a real #1.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is also the hope he might be a return guy... with that kind of speed it would be worth trying him out there. 4.25 speed? 100meters in 10.09? Holy crap is he fast. That is world-class speed for real. Of course, track speed doesn't always work out in the NFL. But I can certainly see why they took a chance on him. If he does work his ass off and learns how to be a decent wr and or return guy? Wow. Plug him in the slot as the third we and look out.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I think they might be thinking he can be OBJ's eventual replacement since I doubt we extend him.

I don't think so. OBJ is a #1 and I don't see Schwartz becoming a #1. He is a speed guy that we can move around and match up against teams but being the #1 is different. If we need to replace OBJ in a couple of years we will have to draft or sign a real #1.

You don't think a kid with just a few years of football, who has elite speed on a very athletic frame and has caught passes in a BIG conference can't be developed into a number one? I think it's possible but more likely a two or three at best, so we agree. BUT OBJ hasn't that superstar #1 here and at times I have thought he's more like our 4th or fifth except for reps. I mean I know he gets extra attention but that superstar production and the signature plays are just not there. In all fairness he has had a respectable amount of both but has been a bit of a letdown compared to the fans' expectations. I think that is why so many keep looking to trade him.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
He's a prodigal "X" receiver... you don't need to run tight routes on the backside... lots of posts/flags/post flags, wheels and streaks... allows jarvis and OBJ to play the other side field... keep the safeties honest.

It's what we lacked playing baltimore..

This whole offseason, it really feels like they're doing what they can to neutralize Baltimore. Not just building a solid defense. But one that can match up and be kryptonite to that team specifically. I'm okay with this.

Legend
Legend
Browns surprise in third round with receiver Anthony Schwartz, what does it mean?

Terry Pluto

Updated Apr 30, 2021; Posted Apr 30, 2021

CLEVELAND, Ohio – After going defense in free agency and in the first two picks in the draft, Kevin Stefanski now has a new toy for his offense.

In the third round, the Browns grabbed wide receiver Anthony Schwartz, an elite sprinter at Auburn.

Remember GM Andrew Berry’s theme for the offense – speed and more speed. Get faster on both sides of the ball. Schwartz is not a polished receiver. He is more of a guy for whom you seek creative ways to put the ball in his hands and let him run.

Short passes. Jet sweeps. Bubble screens. Browns Assistant GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said Schwartz “jumps off the tape. ... He’s not your typical track guy. He’s got a run after the catch mindset.”

They also can tell him, “Run as fast as you can down the sideline” and then let QB Baker Mayfield heave the ball downfield.

I wanted to paint a picture of 6-foot, 186-pound Schwartz as a gifted but raw athlete because some people could jump to the conclusion, “This means the Browns will trade Odell Beckham Jr.” I doubt that will happen. But if it does, it won’t be because they drafted Schwartz in the third round. This is more of a long-range project, the kind Berry discussed in his various pre-draft interviews.

The GM wants to put together two teams – one for today, another for the next few years. That means drafting and developing players such as Schwartz who aren’t ready for prime time right now.

Don’t misunderstand, he can (and should) have a role at times this season. He ran the ball 42 times in his 3-year career, averaging 7.9 yards per carry and 5 TDs. At Auburn, he didn’t have good QB play to take advantage of his speed.

“He moves at a different speed than everyone else in college football,” wrote Profootballfocus. “He’s the definition of a one-trick pony, as he’s a receiver in name only.”

The Browns believe they have time to teach him more tricks of the receiver trade. They have veterans Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, KhaDarel Hodge and Beckham. They also have the promising Donovan Peoples-Jones heading into his second pro season.

What does this move mean for the Browns? Not much for right now, besides an intriguing talent to develop. But in a few years, who knows?

Speed will always have a place in the NFL.

“Anthony is very, very smart and a quick study,” said Berry. “The theme of Day 2 of the draft is speed. Anthony has world-class Olympic speed. He has all the things we desire to help us stretch the field. His best football is ahead of him.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/05...U72C-S3fRpznJNw

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

You don't think a kid with just a few years of football, who has elite speed on a very athletic frame and has caught passes in a BIG conference can't be developed into a number one? I think it's possible but more likely a two or three at best, so we agree. BUT OBJ hasn't that superstar #1 here and at times I have thought he's more like our 4th or fifth except for reps. I mean I know he gets extra attention but that superstar production and the signature plays are just not there. In all fairness he has had a respectable amount of both but has been a bit of a letdown compared to the fans' expectations. I think that is why so many keep looking to trade him.

OBJ was just starting to click in this offense and get it going when he got hurt. I am hoping that this season he will be the guy we hope he can be. I don't expect him to be the best in the league, but a good solid #1 would be very nice. I think in this offense that is quite possible if he stays healthy(which has been a problem). We shall see. I haven't given up hope yet. But my favorite Browns player is Landry. He WANTS it. He WORKS for it. Landry is a great example for every other player on the team. Go Browns!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just think it is a round or two early to take a flyer on a player with limited production. He reminds me of a faster and larger version of Travis Benjamin who was a fourth round selection a few years ago.

I can see him running end around and fly patterns, and at least I have not seen any negative comments about questionable hands.

He may be the only player that could outrun Tyreek Hill and Lamar Jackson.

Maybe Baker and Jarvis saw something, and that would add credence to the selection.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
At this point in the draft it’s not a bad idea to draft traits instead of trying to project what a player will become. We know this dude is fast. You can put him on the field and have him run in a straight line past NFL players. If that’s all he does then the pickup will probably be fine. He’s also only 20 years old and doesn’t have to play right away. Hopefully he becomes more.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Watching a couple things... dude catches the ball away from his body. He actually goes out and reaches for it.

This is a good highlight reel that shows a bit of everything he can do. I have a good feeling about him

Man... with Baker's arm and his speed. you'll never have an overthrown ball...

THis is also a guy who will take the heat off of OBJ... he'll be able to clear out space so that you can actually get the ball to OBJ

Last edited by The Collector; 05/01/21 01:42 AM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Nice observation about his technique catching the ball, thanks for the highlight reel. That guy is really, REALLY quick.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

T
Legend
Legend
T
Not a fan of the pick
The "type!" of player in history often doesn't belong in the NFL, has stone hands, and hurts a roster until they part way, under delivering false hopes & expectaions.

Is what this "type" of player often does.

Schwartz is his own story we'll see how it works out.

I'm not a fan of the pick, scary that the FO would make it.
31 other teams I wish he was on, honestly, would trade tonight for whatever, pick 159, straight up.

Ugh, convince me it's not going to be that bad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
This isn't quincy morgan my dude...

Take a look at the footage. Catches away from his body. Goes back to the ball. Has great vision as he moves up field.

He is a little rough around the edges but he's also a guy who will be here in the long term. And with guys like OBJ and Landry to help him out... he could be a starter eventually

T
Legend
Legend
T
I Love Quincy Morgan, don't remind me. I'd love for a Quincy Morgan clone, instead.
This guy ain't 1 /30th QM.
I'm trying to brush this pick out of my mind.
Pretend they picked him up UDFA.

A 2nd Linebacker, Cox Lsu, or a 2nd CB,
Hamlin Pitt, or others, would be real nice for the early 4th round picks.
So would Maybe an OT to replace Kendall Lamm,

or a true form DE to give Joe Jackson DE Browns, competition for lining up opposite Myles Garrett.

Browns have picks 110, and 113 coming up.

Could find a WR too.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I Love Quincy Morgan, don't remind me. I'd love for a Quincy Morgan clone, instead.

or a true form DE to give Joe Jackson DE Browns, competition for lining up opposite Myles Garrett.

Could find a WR too.

If you complain about this guy having stone hands, and then say you loved Quincy Morgan, you are 100% a verified troll at this point.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He’s not as quick twitch as Hill from KC. He’s not gonna juke you out as much and is definitely not that polished.

But his speed is pretty incredible. And he doesn’t have terrible hands or shy away from contact. That’s a good sign.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Schwartz is a solid pick.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

The Browns are killing this draft.

Andrew Berry is "the Man."

The defense went from poor to elite. Look at the players we added.

Newsome 4.36 speed man corner.

Koramoah the best coverage linebacker period.

Schwartz this guy has warp speed.

Everything we needed we now have through free agency and the draft.

I am on Cloud Nine.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He kind of reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr. Unfortunately for him, Auburn's QB did him few favors. Hopefully he can at least wear out some DBs running 9 routes. We should have the speed element covered this season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
The highlights against Texas A&M are amazing. This dude might be the fastest player in the NFL. And it sure looks to me like he can catch. Someone pointed out that he is only 20 years old. If he can learn from Jarvis and OBJ, he could be tremendous. I am not going to bash this pick after Berry absolutely stuck the first two rounds.

Legend
Legend
I hear he can get a ticket for speeding in a 25 mph zone, even without a car.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tremendous upside pick. Gotta learn to handfight at the line. Nfl likes press coverage and the kid right now allows defenders to route him. That will make or break his career.

He can be much more than a gimmick. He has pretty good hands, olympic speed, he is always going to the ball not waiting for the ball.

He will learn he doesn't have to sprint every second to be the fastest on the field. The riute running will come.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The key for the small speedsters and track athletes in the nfl is learning how not to get jammed up, to develop the moves to get out into space at speed with as little contact as possible. The DBs in the nfl are a lot more physical and better able to get wrenches in the gears early in the route. The best nfl speedsters are exceptional at keep-away and disguising their routes, jukes and quick acceleration. Pure flat inline speed has been proved not so important if they can’t get free. I don’t know yet if this kid has that or not but I certainly trust our FO judgment over mine. It’s been said more than a few times that we needed a burner in the receivers to spread defenses primarily for OBJ, Landry and the TEs benefit. He’s certainly that.

Also, that end sweep reversal on his highlight reel.... I 100% expect to see that a few times this season with OBJ handing it off to him. I mean, who do you track on that play with those two guys?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
It appears that not only does he have the sprinter speed to burn, but he also has some quicks. His change of direction appears sudden and that goes well with his acceleration; and he leaves guys diving at air.

I think Go routes and Jet sweeps is where we will see him most; things on the boundary. Where I'd love to see him start to work is the same way KC uses Tyreek and that is drag routes across the middle. That speed on linebackers would be deadly, especially when the defense still has other WRs out there that they have to respect... oh, and Chubb/Hunt, too.. which means he could be a great run play decoy that drags across the middle to make LBs pause just a half second before trying to fill gaps in run support.

If OBJ & Landry start to mentor this kid and teach him the finer points of being a WR and if he REALLY works on his craft, the kid has the makings of something really special. If not, then he can still be useful as a one-trick pony for as long as we can milk some use from that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Before arriving at Auburn, Anthony Schwartz's incredible speed allowed him to develop into a coveted wide receiver and a world-class sprinter simultaneously. Explore his south Florida upbringing in Episode 1 of AL.com's annual documentary series "Road to the Pros." (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The best (maybe) thing I've read about him today came from Berry stating that he is "very, very, smart".

We can see the speed...see the ability to catch the ball (good or bad), and we know he is young.

Now we have a very, very smart guy telling us that the new player is also "very, very smart".

Legend
Legend

Considered by many to be the fastest player in college football, Anthony "Flash" Schwartz arrives at Auburn and makes a quick impact. In the years that follow, unexpected obstacles force him to make life-changing decisions. Introducing Episode 2 of "Anthony Schwartz: Road to the Pros." (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)

After leaving Auburn for the NFL Draft, Anthony Schwartz trains in Tampa with Yo Murphy and Randy Moss. He then records the fastest 40-yard dash nationally, increasing his confidence that he has what it takes to compete in the NFL. Introducing Episode 3 of “Road to the Pros.” (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)

Episode 4 -- May 5

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
All Pro
All Pro
I wouldn't say he hurts the WR room, but he is just WR6, gadget guy to me. Could be a heck of a punt returner though (he's never done that).

Worst case scenario he runs the single-high safety to the parking lot.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

If OBJ & Landry start to mentor this kid and teach him the finer points of being a WR and if he REALLY works on his craft, the kid has the makings of something really special. If not, then he can still be useful as a one-trick pony for as long as we can milk some use from that.

Was thinking about that last night -- that's the real ceiling and floor.

Funny thing is, it's also the "one player away" type pick, just not in desperation, not with a (real) high-value pick, not with big FA dollars.

He's the "one player" that can put our offense over the top. Jet sweeps, misdirection, straight-line threat, whatever it is, there is no "ignoring" that kind of speed, regardless of his current skill-set.

So yes, long-term project that also fills an immediate need. Sounds like a false dichotomy, yet it's not.

Legend
Legend

My nick name for Anthony Schwartz is:

"Warp Speed"

Watching this guy run it's like he is a blur.

It may take a couple years but when he laerns how to harness the speed into receiver skills.

Look Out.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Could find a WR too.

You'd rather have stone hands Quincy Morgan? LMFAO rofl

You lost all credibility with that comment dude. notallthere

The fastest player in this draft and good hands? And you complain? LOL catfight

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Uh... let's keep Kwesi under wraps and behind the scenes before he gets poached. Wow -- this dude is razor sharp and very well spoken!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I hear he can get a ticket for speeding in a 25 mph zone, even without a car.

not to be that guy... but his top speed is about 21 mph... fastest human every (Usain Bolt) was topped out around 28 mph

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, but every one knows Usain couldn't catch or run routes.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Yeah, but every one knows Usain couldn't catch or run routes.

I think he could catch and run routes... but I think one or two good hits by a safety and he'd be done... smile

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
I wouldn't say he hurts the WR room, but he is just WR6, gadget guy to me. Could be a heck of a punt returner though (he's never done that).

Worst case scenario he runs the single-high safety to the parking lot.

Ya think that will help Jarvis and OBJ?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It would appear he will be replacing Natson IMO. We probably won’t keep more than 6 WRs, especially given Stefanski’s proclivity to keep TE’s

1. OBJ
2. Landry
3. Higgins
4. DPJ
5. Hodge
6. Schwartz

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz

Link Copied to Clipboard