Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Legend
Legend
B
John Kelly deserves a spot, but the numbers probably won't allow that.

As a running back, he is better than Felton. Feltons worth will come in the WR room.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As a running back, he is better than Felton. Feltons worth will come in the WR room.

Felton coming out of the backfield with LB coverage makes him a huge threat.

That is is his value and running the ball enough to keep a LB in to handle him in those duties the duel threat is Felton's value. I like Kelly as well perhaps we can pick up a LB in a deal for either one of them?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Felton makes team as all around player, wr, rb, st returner, and he's ok to good at all of them. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend

Agree Felton will make the team.

I could not cut D'Ernest. Everytime he gets a chance. He delivers.

Kelly had a big day. But the numbers are against him.

We are going to have to cut guys that we like.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm sure Kelly knows he's the odd man out, and is just putting it all out there for the next team to come calling. This is his interview.

Imagine if that's KC now that Edwards may be hampered a couple weeks, possibly at the start if the season.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 08/23/21 11:34 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

Felton coming out of the backfield with LB coverage makes him a huge threat.

That is is his value and running the ball enough to keep a LB in to handle him in those duties the duel threat is Felton's value. I like Kelly as well perhaps we can pick up a LB in a deal for either one of them?

I thought about that, and agree, assuming we can get that match-up. I think soon enough teams will match him with a nickel or safety.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid though maybe not as much as some if he is going to be a running back. I have seen some write things like him looking like Greg Pruitt.

I just don't see that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I don't want to discount what any of backs have done.

However, during last season and so far this pre-season no matter who we put out there in the OL.

Backs are finding yards.

Callahan has to get some credit.

Chub and Hunt are both top tier running backs.

D'Ernest everytime he gets an opportunity he delivers.

Felton is different. He is exceptional catching the ball.
He makes people miss in small space.

He will be a weapon for designed plays. He could be great as an option underneath longer patterns on crossing routes.

Also on third downs with 5 to 9 yards to go. Those quick stick routes. He gets seperation. He is a yac threat.

He will have a role on this team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Backs are finding yards.

Callahan has to get some credit.

I was thinking along these lines too. Even our back-up OL looked pretty good. It won't surprise me at all if some other teams with lesser OLs pick up our RBs and they are decidedly mediocre behind another OL.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Chubb and Hunt are both great backs.

IMO they would prove that on just about any team.

But the zone blocking scheme first run by Mike Shanahan always produced good numbers.

We know Callahan is a great coach. He must be because we have plugged a bunch of guys in and still get results.

Our offense is going to rock.

We have not seen yet what we will see. We played pretty straight football so far. And no doubt we will not open the play book Sunday.

Schwartz will have plays. Felton will have plays.
Not a lot but they will be sprinkled in.

We have so many play options. We can game plan teams to attact any weakness in a defense.

My only concern as of right now is:
interior defensive line play and depth at DE.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

My only concern as of right now is:
interior defensive line play and depth at DE.

With Takk McKinley injured/ out at Right DE.
and Jacob Phillips injured/ out at Right side OLB/DE
It's obvious they should put Malik McDowell outside at Right DE, then line up Clowney either outside or inside of him each snap.
Counting on lesser players at their own peril.

Legend
Legend

The status of McKinley is unknown. However, he is expected back.

McDowell has not played a game in four years. I don't think right now he is guaranteed a roster spot.

The DT starters are most likely Malik Jackson and Billings. Elliott and Togiai will be in the mix as backups.
Wilson and McDowell are fighting for a roster spot.

IMO there is a chance that a trade may happen that could bring someone else into the picture.

Billings and Jackson are experienced players. Neither guy is a long term answer.

Elliott and Togiai are players they are counting on to develop. It remains to be seen if they will be starters at some point.

Wilson and McDowell have a lot to prove.

All of this is why I am still concerned to a degree.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt Felton will have a role. I hope I didn't sound like i don't think so.

I see him taking Landrys role next season. I just don't see him as more than just a guy as a back.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

The status of McKinley is unknown. However, he is expected back.

I don't know bro, things get tricky if we're gonna stick to the mantra... "Smart, tough, accountable".

He's obviously missed all the "work". What's the excuse? Do the other players know the excuse? Is it just "Takk's stepped away for personal reasons"?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
He has a legit reason for missing time.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Don't count Sheldon out just yet.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

I see him taking Landrys role next season. I just don't see him as more than just a guy as a back.

Felton is 5'9". I can't see him taking Landry's role, despite all the Tyreek hype. I mean what's his 40? Maybe I'm mistaken. I DO think he's going to be a great weapon backfield/slot.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
He has a legit reason for missing time.

Thanks for the update GM

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Felton is 5'9". I can't see him taking Landry's role, despite all the Tyreek hype. I mean what's his 40? Maybe I'm mistaken. I DO think he's going to be a great weapon backfield/slot.

4.58 40 at the combine

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm assuming your wording means the org sees it that way -- that's good. And hopefully he doesn't try to circumvent the "help system" of a strong organization. Any mental issue is usually hush-hush (and rightfully so). From a fan's point of view, Takk's history has also exhibited some "attitude" issues, so "hush-hush" just leaves us wondering.

I would love nothing more than for him to return and make an impact, but that's just the fan part of me. He seems like a genuine "good guy" that has just been through the wringer of life in ways most of us could never imagine. So from that point of view, here's hoping for the best for Takk, whether he makes an impact on the field or not.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Right, I am talking about him in the slot, where Landry should be playing. DPJ will take over outside. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

IMO there are people who know.

KS has made statements to the effect "that I will keep that between me and Takk."

Berry would know and maybe some teammates.

All I know is up to the point he left. All was going good. He was in great shape. He was working hard in practice. He seemed like all business. He was polite and thankful for the opportunity.

I don't want to speculate.

They went after Takk hard. He came in knowing this was an oppourtuity to reestablish himself as a player.

Hopefully he returns soon. The players behind Clowney and Myles at DE currently have not made a splash.

I would think this week is important.

Legend
Legend

Takk McKinley is back.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/24/takk-mckinley-returns-to-team-no-practicing-yet/

So, he has been back a few days. Has not yet practiced.

Legend
Legend
That's great news. I hope he feels (and is given) the love, respect and support from his teammates and coaches and can move forward from whatever is troubling him.

Let's go do this Takk, you are in the near-perfect position to let your talent and hard work shine on the brightest of stages!

Legend
Legend

I wonder how the whole DL ends up.

Glad he is back. He is a young guy with plenty of upside.

Legend
Legend

I forgot about Sheldon Day. He is a vet who has played well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I posted about this in the Giants game day forum but I will mention it again here.

What Felton brings is a different dimension to the backfield. Now as far as a pure bruising RB in the pure sense of the word, John Kelly is superior. But he is very much a carbon copy of the same "type of back" we have in both Chubb and Hunt.

Felton is more of the scat back variety. Smaller, slipper and elusive. He's the Swiss Army Knife. While people speak of speed, often times it's far more about your cuts and shiftiness than straight line speed.

He can line up as a RB and then split out and line up as a WR causing the opposing D to have to make last minute changes. He can also line up as a WR and drop back into the RB position pre snap and the opposition has to consider him a threat at both positions.

It's a dimension our O has been lacking. It helps to expand the playbook. So what I think it boils down to is do we want to have more of a variety of skills that create more options on our O or do we want another carbon copy of the same skill set we already have more than one of?

I'm thinking that gives Felton the advantage here. Making him strictly a WR becomes problematic. We have a bevy of WR's now and trying to decide who to let go and who to keep is hard enough as it is. Designating him as a RB and using him at that position as well as a WR allows us to designate him a RB and gives us the versatility to expand the things we can do on O.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree 100%.

This offense isn't just built on great play design and execution, it's built on keeping the defense on it's heels within the flow of play-calling and personnel packages. Making the opponent "guess" pre-snap is just as important as the rest of the mix... some may even argue that it is a prerequisite.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just a person who feels the more looks you can throw at the opposing defense the better. You summed it up pretty well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Felton reminds me a lot of Duke Johnson. A good runner, slippery and elusive, and a really good "get a 1st down" type receiver. Maybe he's not going to break a ton of long plays, but he will be a useful weapon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Landry won't even be 30 years old this time next year, wondering why you see him as gone.. contract demands?

And Landry's role is precision route running, extraordinary hands, good blocking, great effort, and team leadership... seems like an awful lot to ask of a guy who will be going into his 2nd season as a 6th round pick and who, up until recently, was considered more of a RB than a WR.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

And Landry's role is precision route running, extraordinary hands, good blocking, great effort, and team leadership...

And I'll add this, since it seems to be overlooked by many because he doesn't have blazing speed. Landry's RAC, particularly in traffic, is better than anyone on the team not named Chubb.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Even though there isn't anyone on the team that duplicates what Landry brings to the offense (just so we're clear, I'm a huge Landry fan), I can see the FO wanting one or more of the young'ins to take Landry's reps. We're spending a ton of money on the offense, and Baker still needs to be signed, plus we've got Njoku and Teller that are gonna get paid by someone. Something's gotta give somewhere, and there's an awful lot of money going to the WR room.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC

Question about Higgins.
Why doesn't he play special teams? For a guy consistently on the roster bubble I would think it would be beneficial for him to do so. Is it that he won't or that he can't (do it well)?

If he won't, that's a huge red flag in my book.
If he can't, why can't he? Seems mostly an effort role.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He’s not ‘sudden’. He’s not got blazing speed. He’s a route running machine with hands. Special teams is for a different breed of cat.
I’d bet he’s on the ‘hands team’ for onside kicks.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
He’s not ‘sudden’. He’s not got blazing speed. He’s a route running machine with hands. Special teams is for a different breed of cat.
I’d bet he’s on the ‘hands team’ for onside kicks.

I understand lack of blazing speed and lack of suddenness making him less than ideal as a kick returner. But he could be a a guy in the row in front of the returner and block. He can run down and tackle the other teams returner.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
T
Legend
Legend
T
It comes down to.
I don't like players with glass cielings. If they've been around enough time and clearly their performance level shows no hints of spiking towards special
then, if you think about it, those players are easier to replace, in time.

And if they are going to let some guys go, with unlimited potential, and they achieve greatness with another team, that's going to suck, and it would look bad as an organization, over time.

Cutdown day is going to be like a surgery you don't want to have.
Let's Get this #$$##** over with!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Felton reminds me a lot of Duke Johnson.

I don't remember Duke Johnson looking as Fast as Felton looked, but of course we'll have to see more than 1 half of 2 preseason games.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Per 92.3 the Fan, Davion Davis suspended the first 2 weeks of the season by the Browns for violating league policy on substance abuse.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Per 92.3 the Fan, Davion Davis suspended the first 2 weeks of the season by the Browns for violating league policy on substance abuse.

So that just means that if he makes the final roster we won't be paying him for two weeks and is not meant to be an indication that he will make that cut. Right? Or am I missing something?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Definitely makes him easier to stash on the practice squad, imo.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard