Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think its obvious. Delpit will be the 2nd year player that will provide the biggest impact!!

In order for Delpit IMO to show improvement he has to have a baseline IMO. Sense he didn't play at all last year it's impossible to say he has improved so that IMO leaves him off the list of candidates doesn't it?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The question was "biggest impact".

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
How is the answer anything but Jedrick Will’s?

Jed wasn't the LT I wanted the team to draft. He won me over with his solid rookie campaign. He has room to grow, he had to be thinking a lot while transitioning from a college RT to a pro LT. He performed admirably. In year two with Callahan, Wills won't have to process so much and consciously translate it into physical execution. He should play more instinctually on ingrained experience as an LT.
So definitely, the answer is Wills.

He was an LT lined up on the right side since his QB was lefthanded.

Only you know exactly what point you were making. But it sounds as if you are saying that protecting the blindside of a left-handed QB prepares an RT to play LT for a right-handed QB and therefore the transition is simple or easy, that is a superficial analysis.

I don't pretend to be an OL guru but lets' start with the kick-slide, it's totally different. Footwork in general is completely reversed. Pulling from the RT vs. LT position requires exploding out of your stance with the opposite foot. That's like asking a sprinter to change foot positions in the blocks and still have the same or similar get-off. Balance and hand placement are different. In general, gaining and applying leverage is reversed by moving from RT to LT. The muscle memory of a RT has to be re-tooled significantly.

I invite anyone who is more knowledgeable about OL play to jump in here and clear this up.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I don't see Taki or Mack making it through cuts.

They missed to many tackles for my taste and IMO a linebacker has to be a great tackler and neither of them are.

I view this as a sort of defensive improvement gauge if either is still with the team after final cuts we still have issues on defense, IMO.

I agree. I think both are very marginal players.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
HS??? well not really any indication of anything.

Most HS teams are running teams and have a big tendency to run to the right I would put my monster (best OT) at RT

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The claim was made that he was a LT playing at RT at Alabama to protect his left handed QB. I was demonstrating that he played RT in HS, RT in college, and there is no evidence that he played LT until joining the Browns.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
Why is this even being argued anymore? That argument was born out of whether or not we should draft him for our LT spot.... haven't we answered that already?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
The claim was made that he was a LT playing at RT at Alabama to protect his left handed QB. I was demonstrating that he played RT in HS, RT in college, and there is no evidence that he played LT until joining the Browns.

The way we remember that is somewhat different. The way I remember it is that when you have a left handed QB, you need the most talented OT on the right side to protect your QB's blind side. Which would have made Wills a much better OT than Alabama's LT. I find that would be hard to dispute.

Secondly, you are correct that changing from RT to LT is not as easy as some would like to make it sound. That's why it would take a very talented and gifted player for him to make such a transition.

I was one who was against drafting anyone who played RT as our LT for the very reasons you suggest. That was before I watched a lot of tape on Wills. Once I did I felt confident he had the athletic ability to make such a transition.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Which Browns second-year player will make the biggest impact?

There is currently a 500 page thread on him.

Josh Gordon.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

let's just end all of this

prior to drafting WIlls he also said this:

https://www.brownszone.com/2020/04/10/no...ft-side-in-nfl/

“From my perspective, tackles are tackles,” Berry said on a conference call. “In terms of guys making the switch, certainly there is an element of muscle memory that needs to be reprogrammed, so to speak, for people who have played one side or the other for a long period of time.

“If you look, Jack Conklin was a college left tackle that has been a pretty well-accomplished right tackle in our league. Perhaps the best example of a career college right tackle who has been a pretty good left tackle in our league is (Dallas’) Tyron Smith. Sometimes those distinctions can be a bit overemphasized. In today’s game, the two tackle positions may not be identical, but they are pretty close.”

<topic closed>

@guard dawg thsi was also to cover your reply to mine earlier

protecting someone's blindside is important and being athletic is important. what foot they start off with only takes some muscle memory adjustment. Both of our tackles played different tackle spots in college vs pro. Conklin was on the Left and Wills played on the right.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't dispute any of that. The only thing that I am disagreeing with is this...

He was a RT in high school, and played RT at college. He was NOT a LT moved to RT to protect Tua.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the clarification. It did become clear early on during the season that the confidence the team had in him to make the switch was warranted. As the tweets you posted pointed out, Wills was evaluated to have the prerequisites the Browns wanted so a position change had a reasonable chance to succeed. That evaluation, IMO, of this individual player wouldn't apply to every college RT even if that player was protecting a left-handed QB.

In terms of the thread topic, I am saying that with a year of experience he has the potential to have the greatest impact because he shouldn't have to think as much about technique and he can just play.

Last edited by guard dawg; 07/14/21 07:46 PM.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I don't dispute any of that. The only thing that I am disagreeing with is this...

He was a RT in high school, and played RT at college. He was NOT a LT moved to RT to protect Tua.

hm. let me try this a different way...

What I was saying was he was acting as the LT since his QB was left-handed. Teams line up their best pass rusher on the blind side of the QB. ie: the right side when he was in college.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I get that you want your best tackle protecting your QB's blind side. I get that if your QB is left-handed, that means you want your best tackle on the right side. I get that Wills showed the skill set required to play on the left protecting a right-handed QB, and that's why the Browns drafted him. I get that he stands to possibly be the most improved 2nd year player.

I am not disagreeing with any thing you have said, except that singular statement that he was a "LT used on the right." My point, my only point, is that statement is not factual, simply because he had never played LT until after college. He had the potential to play LT, the Browns saw that potential, and gambled that Coach Callahan could make the conversion. They were right.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
More or less just clicking...I think we are picking nits here.

I guess it depends on how you want to measure largest impact.

To me it is who improves the most.

Since Wills has already demonstrated he can play the LT position to at least a good level, his impact came last year. He can still get better but I don't know that we will be able to see that in a measurable way to us fans. Being the LT, one could almost always say he has the most impact, or at least one of the players with the most impact. Impact can also be in a negative form. If Wills gives up 5 sacks a game, that would be a major impact.

I'd say the largest positive impact will be a player on D. Mostly because we will be able to see that positive impact. As to who that will be...call it a pick'em. Only time will tell.

To pick one...how about Jordon Elliott. He's a guy who played some, but nothing distinguished either way. I think he stands a chance to rise some eyebrows.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Which Browns second-year player will make the biggest impact? 21 Browns questions for ’21

Link Copied to Clipboard