Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1854528 03/23/21 11:28 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Personnel decisions are never easy no matter the job description of the candidate.

When it come to NFL decisions on players it gets complicated.

Every position has a physical chart. Ideal size for each position which includes height, weight, speed, quickness, strength, length and every other other physical measurable you can think of.

Then the dissection gets into the mental side.
Everyone has heard of some of the questions asked as prospects go through interviews. "How important is football to you?" etc. etc. Wonderlic tests and every way they can think of to validate character.
==============================================

Recently, the Browns have signed a number of new players through free agency.

Anthony Walker, John Johnson, Troy Hill, Takk McKinley, Malik Jackson along with resigning some of our own.

How much does chemistry count? Most of us remember statements like; "I want smart, tough, accountable players."

After listening to John Johnson and Anthony Walker. I have to say these guys come off the right way.
Meaning they seem to fit a "culture" the Browns are trying to build.

That word "culture" is used often in football. "We want to develop a winning culture."

Every GM and head coach I have ever heard talks the talk.

Then you hear things like; "every player deserves a second chance." And guys like Antonio Callaway and others like him get hired into the NFL.

GM's get seduced by the physical gifts and succumb to "we can fix this guy."

The one thing that did stand out from the 2020 season was team chemistry. Watching "Building the Browns" and just listening to the players in interviews. Was these guys really seem tight as a team. They stand up for each other. They appear to really "get along."

From the outside looking in. I honestly believe that Stefanski and Berry want players that have the right make up.

I do think it weighs heavily on their personnel decisions that includes coaches.

This is a subjective point of view that seems accurate to me.

bonefish #1854539 03/23/21 12:06 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I remember Joe Jurevicius talking about how the team lacked camaraderie back when he was playing for us. How it meant something to have teammates over for a BBQ and to get to know each other. It's something that has such an intangible effect, I believe. It's like being in an office with a high-morale environment. It makes its way to the product or the service. Where everyone is locked in because they feel a sense of unity and purpose. Nobody feels resentful toward their bosses, but at the same time, nobody feels like they can run rough-shod over management either.

If you look at NE throughout their dynasty, I feel like everyone - even the janitor - knew the playbook. Everyone was moving in unison.

It's trying to find that synergy, and you need people to buy in to the program in order to achieve that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
dawglover05 #1854563 03/23/21 01:48 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

It starts from the top and it has to be sincere.

Kevin and Andrew have to come to an agreement. This is what we want.

Because of the difficulty of last year. The team had to do things in a different manner.

I believe there was a sincere effort to build that camaraderie.

During the off season decisions are made. Players come and go.

New guys need to be brought in. It meant something according to Walker, Takk and Johnson that Baker called them right away.

It is difficult to put your finger on but chemistry IMO counts.

bonefish #1854564 03/23/21 02:01 PM
Legend
Legend
It is the Culture. The patsies had it. We are building it. Don't overlook it and don't marginalize it. Having it may not seem to be a big deal, but not having it is a recipe for disappointment.

The Elf! Unleash! brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1854566 03/23/21 02:11 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

It starts from the top and it has to be sincere.

Kevin and Andrew have to come to an agreement. This is what we want.

Because of the difficulty of last year. The team had to do things in a different manner.

I believe there was a sincere effort to build that camaraderie.

During the off season decisions are made. Players come and go.

New guys need to be brought in. It meant something according to Walker, Takk and Johnson that Baker called them right away.

It is difficult to put your finger on but chemistry IMO counts.

Also note how Baker has been good to talk about the "whole building", even mentioning the food people. I feel good about the players we're adding. Takk wore a suit to his presser because he wanted to reflect his seriousness about the business...that kind of blew me away...especially after the presser he gave a year or so ago coming across like Marshawn Lynch, only saying "it's gud," to every question.

TrooperDawg #1854571 03/23/21 02:35 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

It is important.

IMO Andrew and Kevin take it seriously.

After all we as fans have been through. It is hard to even imagine that we could have a head coach and a GM for an extended period of time.

There is nothing I want more for the Browns than continued success and continuity.

bonefish #1854574 03/23/21 03:03 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think these are different topics than the free agency thread, or the offseason activity thread. frown

bonefish #1854591 03/23/21 05:17 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
It is amazing when you aren’t switching Head coaches, O coordinator, D Coordinator how things like chemistry can happen. Allowing smart people to do their jobs, Trusting them, it took a while but Jimmy and Dee may finally be getting it. It all starts at the top

Rottweiller #1854600 03/23/21 06:04 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

It is easy gloss over things like chemistry and continuity.

That is because we have not had it and it goes with winning.

We could be entering a golden era that will be remembered for a long time.

bonefish #1854614 03/23/21 10:31 PM
Legend
Legend
I've been banging on about culture and chemistry since at least the Romeo Crennell days, maybe earlier.

It's everything. Without it, you have 55 individuals all dressed the same, and little more.

It's what keeps all oars in the water at the same cadence. It's what keeps the team together when personnel changes. It's what sets the team's persona among the other 31. It's what wins those really ugly, nasty one-score games that we always used to lose. It's the difference between 9-7 and a deep playoff run.

We've been so overdue for this, I almost don't know what to do with what we're seeing. By all rights, the 2020 Season of COVID should have crushed a newly-developing team like ours. Some of these guys had literally never sat in the same room as each other. What they accomplished is nothing short of miraculous, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm keeping my Foster Grants close at hand. I think the future is gonna be blindingly bright.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1854617 03/23/21 11:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I've been banging on about culture and chemistry since at least the Romeo Crennell days, maybe earlier.

It's everything. Without it, you have 55 individuals all dressed the same, and little more.

It's what keeps all oars in the water at the same cadence. It's what keeps the team together when personnel changes. It's what sets the team's persona among the other 31. It's what wins those really ugly, nasty one-score games that we always used to lose. It's the difference between 9-7 and a deep playoff run.

We've been so overdue for this, I almost don't know what to do with what we're seeing. By all rights, the 2020 Season of COVID should have crushed a newly-developing team like ours. Some of these guys had literally never sat in the same room as each other. What they accomplished is nothing short of miraculous, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm keeping my Foster Grants close at hand. I think the future is gonna be blindingly bright.

Watching the replay of our Monday night game against the Ravens on NFL network. To me it really felt like the game where our offense had arrived and looked like an impressive well oiled machine. To see us move the ball on that defense like that made me feel really good, even though we lost.

Future is looking bright, bust out them shades cool

Clemdawg #1854620 03/24/21 12:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
yup.
you got it.

cool

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
bonefish #1854629 03/24/21 04:05 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree on the culture part. The chemistry part I am not so sure.

It seems to me that we can foster a solid culture and environment, one based on mutual respect, goals, and team first attitude. Creating chemistry is different IMO. To me that is something that just happens. You can have all the components of culture in place, yet not attain a solid team chemistry.

Sure, you can eject the bad apples, but to me it is somewhat akin to an arraigned marriage. You can have the components in place...two attractive, smart people. Both with all the attributes, yet the chemistry never happens between those people. Why is that?

Is chemistry really something we can build? I don't know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1854637 03/24/21 08:05 AM
Legend
Legend
The X factor of having good chemistry is hard to define, but it is palpable. We haven’t had it. I think this group has started to form it.

That’s why every FA move and draft pick has to be able to fit as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Ballpeen #1854654 03/24/21 09:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree on the culture part. The chemistry part I am not so sure.

It seems to me that we can foster a solid culture and environment, one based on mutual respect, goals, and team first attitude. Creating chemistry is different IMO. To me that is something that just happens. You can have all the components of culture in place, yet not attain a solid team chemistry.

Sure, you can eject the bad apples, but to me it is somewhat akin to an arraigned marriage. You can have the components in place...two attractive, smart people. Both with all the attributes, yet the chemistry never happens between those people. Why is that?

Is chemistry really something we can build? I don't know.

Maybe we just needed some human emulsifiers to help certain players blend?

It feels like Stefanski may have brought some of that to the team. Hopefully JJ3 and Walker can help bring some of that to the defense this season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Ballpeen #1854680 03/24/21 11:23 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Those are good points Peen.

Culture is first a goal. The implementation is bringing in the right front office, coaches, and players.

Chemistry comes with winning. Because it is based on trust. Each unit has players(OL) when they play together and win. They develop trust in each other.

Last year was like the first pour of a strong foundation.

They went through fire together and came out tempered.

This year the team knows they can win.

The winning culture now exits.

Now we go to camp with so much in place. We will go into the draft without trying to fill a true need.

Stefanski and the staff now have the template in place. They can build on it.

Already in free agency the secondary has gone from weakness to strength.

SI has the Browns 4th in post free agency rankings.

FOURTH.

That is AFC championship grade. Before the draft.

Please. We have not been in this position since 1987 when the Browns were picked to win the Super Bowl.

So yes, yes, yes. I will be ready come September.

bonefish #1854695 03/24/21 12:27 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
bonefish #1867742 06/16/21 01:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Great interview with the chemist himself. There's chemistry between players and position groups, there's also the chemistry of building a roster, building depth, and making sure you have the flexibility to cover all roster spots with the best possible talent from a versatility standpoint.

Andrew Berry continues to impress...

Quote:
“When you’re filling (key spots), it’s something that’s not just done in a vacuum,” Berry told “The Athletic Football Show” host Robert Mays. “You have to do it hand in hand with your coaches and your scouts. A big influence is ultimately how Kevin and Joe Woods want to play on that side of the ball. The defensive system has a lot of flexibility built in, but you also have your pillar principles.

“It goes back 18 months to that (vision) in terms of what we value and what will make the biggest impact. You probably start with, OK, here’s the baseline level of talent that we need, and (then) here’s how we would like that talent to produce because this is the style of defense that we want to play. So, you ask, really how important is just overall talent at (a certain) position versus how important is the role to make the rest of the system work?”

“Football really is a war of attrition and you do need (versatility),” Berry said. “It’s a war of attrition in the fact that you normally dress 48 (players on game day), and that number used to be 46. You really do need people who can do multiple things in case you get into a tough spot — not to mention that it is a matchup league, right? And you know, how you might match up against Baltimore versus Pittsburgh versus Cincinnati, maybe those (matchups) are a lot different week to week to week.

“You hopefully have the personnel to be able to stay within those pillar principles of your system, but still be flexible enough to accommodate the strengths.”

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1867758 06/16/21 04:08 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Interesting interview.

Good questions.

bonefish #1867759 06/16/21 04:10 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good interview by Mays. Some intelligent, probing questions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chemistry

Link Copied to Clipboard