Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok...your out.

I don't know what you are talking about.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
In the end, it doesn't matter if a justice likes a law or not. They are there to determine if it meets constitutional scrutiny.

I get that some are disciples of a living document and others are more textual in belief...I being more textual...but it's hard for me to believe there can be all that much divide as often as it happens. I also find it hard to believe that you don't have more swing voters. With a few over the years it was almost as if they didn't even need to hear the case because you knew how they were going to decide.

If you believe that you be textual, then read the part about being amended. The founding fathers knew that they were not authors of scripture, and never, ever, intended the constitution to be viewed in that manner.

It is the most asinine point regarding our constitution that I have ever heard. I know that it is popular gospel among the conservatives, but it is total nonsense.

Sorry pal, I have read the constitution plenty. Being textual doesn't mean it can't be amended. Go talk to someone else about being asinine and nonsensical.

Good for you, then you should also know that the constitution had to be amended 10 times, (12 practically) just to get it passed. The framers did not care about the rights of citizens, only the framework of government.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Indeed it had to be amended several times before everybody was on board. It's foolish to believe that a first draft was going to do the trick. Things haven't changed so much that when you get a room full of people from different states and different ideas together they weren't going to hash things out the same as they do today.

James Madison and a few others were against adding the Bill of Rights. The main fear was by adding rights, the government might see those as the only rights of citizens and take everything else.

The thought was by adding the Bill, it could be seen as a limiting of citizens rights. Madison felt that Article I, that constrained Congress, and Article II, that constrained the President were all the protections the citizens needed.

It's pretty interesting food for thought. I see positives in the Bill, but in a way Madison may have been right all these years later. The government does try to grab what it feels it can, sometimes even at items in the Bill.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
They also allowed for slavery and women couldn't vote among other things that were pretty crazy.

The constitution is a living document. Not the Ten Commandments.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Putin got it right

No big surprise here. But I believe that Trump “exceeded expectations” beyond Vladimir’s wildest expectations.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that Madison would have been proven wrong by the history of litigation over the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 14th amendments, just to name a few.

Legend
Legend
Putin got it right

No big surprise here. But I believe that Trump “exceeded expectations” beyond Vladimir’s wildest expectations.

And people still follow Trump like they are lapdogs

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think that Madison would have been proven wrong by the history of litigation over the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 14th amendments, just to name a few.

Possibly so. Then again, maybe not. By listing some rights of many, it could open the restrictions of rights.

At any rate, we will never know.

The constitution has been amended 17 times since the original 10.

I said I tend to be textual, but that doesn't mean I feel that things are written in stone. Times and needs change, and when necessary, we have made changes, but seeing the relative few amendments passed, and the difficulty in passing amendments is testament that the text is pretty clear and a strong guidepost to follow.

Sometimes I get the feeling that some say living document as if it should be torn up and throw away, or some amendment should pass every time some new social issue pops up.

I disagree with that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow, John Bolton said the same exact thing about Trump that I did regarding his capabilities. Still don't know if I'm right or wrong, but that surprised me. I thought I might be alone or one of very few in my assessment.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump is still a clear and present danger to American democracy. His 3rd grade acumen combined with all his many many faults make him dangerous because he has 70 million people fooled into thinking he is a great guy with American interest at heart... but he just a grifter.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Well stated. I thought Congressmen/women represented their districts-fought for their piece of the government pie- yet also always considered what was best for the country- big view. This cult crap has to end on both sides- AOC is not a national figure, yet she's a darling of the far left.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
AOC is a rising star on the left, hardly a cult. Bernie and AOC are just people we feel are 'For The People' and it's not fair to compare them to the cult of Trump. Trump and his cult are only about Trump and his cult. AOC and Bernie would stop to help a republican who needed basic human kindness to deal with something... Do you think Trump would?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
AOC is a rising star on the left, hardly a cult. Bernie and AOC are just people we feel are 'For The People' and it's not fair to compare them to the cult of Trump. Trump and his cult are only about Trump and his cult. AOC and Bernie would stop to help a republican who needed basic human kindness to deal with something... Do you think Trump would?

The trumpians out there need a boogy man.. AOC and Sanders seem to fit the bill...

So worried about them that they forgot that Trump lead an insurrection.

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/16/21 05:27 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not to mention them accepting the fascism like we didn't fight a world war over that ish once already.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Yep, we are Nazi's for sure.

It rather funny to read you guys talking. It's like a snowball going downhill. It just keeps getting bigger and more boisterous as it goes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yep, we are Nazi's for sure.

It rather funny to read you guys talking. It's like a snowball going downhill. It just keeps getting bigger and more boisterous as it goes.

I don't think you are a NAZI...

I think you want to forget and cover up things that Trump and his minions have done.

Things like Jan 6..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It's no less crazy than you calling everyone else on the opposite side of your political belief system communists. You're just too blind to see that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's no less crazy than you calling everyone else on the opposite side of your political belief system communists. You're just too blind to see that.

That's what all the Qanon believer are doing....Green, Bobbert, Gaitz etc.. They keep tossing out the same crap everyday.

Ask a WWII vet what he thinks about Communism.. Ask them what they think about the tactics of Hitler..

They'll get a lesson they don't want to hear..

I wonder what a WWII Vet thinks about some Proud Boy or white Supremisist or KKK member carrying a Nazi Flag while they attack the Capital building?

Ask them. Those congressmen that want to hide the facts of that day should ask them about that. See what they are told.

But of course, they'd believe Trump and Q before they'd believe someone that fought for their rights to be fools...

I'm still proud of my Dad and uncles that were in WWII.. They'd surely want to kick some congressional ass for the things that are being pushed..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
We've all seen how Trump labels any military official or veteran who points such things out. Suddenly the same people who claim to support our troops and support our military turn on them like a pack of rabid dogs.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c

Gen. Mark Milley reportedly warned Trump not to strike Iran: 'You're gonna have a f---ing war'

Top US Gen. Mark Milley feared that Donald Trump would take military action against Iran at the end of his presidency and repeatedly warned him not to, according to reporting, published in The New Yorker on Friday, from an upcoming book about Trump's presidency.

"If you do this, you're gonna have a f---ing war," Milley would reportedly tell the president and his foreign-policy advisors who had pushed for a missile strike on the Middle Eastern country after Trump lost the 2020 election.

Iran was frequently brought up in White House meetings after the election, with Trump "seemingly willing to do anything to stay in power," The New Yorker's Susan Glasser, an author of the book, reported on Friday. The New York Times in late November reported that Trump had consulted top advisors — including Milley — about options for striking Iran's primary nuclear site and was ultimately talked out of it.

At one meeting without Trump, his advisors again brought up action against Iran, and Milley questioned why they were so intent on attacking the country, Glasser reported.

"Because they are evil," Vice President Mike Pence reportedly answered.

Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, eventually helped end the prospect of a conflict with Iran, the report said.

On January 3, Trump held an Oval Office meeting to receive an update on Iran's latest nuclear activities. Milley, along with Robert O'Brien, the national security advisor, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, informed Trump that any military action against Iran would be impossible at that point, Glasser reported.

Trump appeared to heed the warnings, and the focus on Iran faded, the report said.

The book, by Glasser and her husband, The Times' Peter Baker, is set to come out next year. Glasser said they'd conducted nearly 200 interviews for their reporting on Trump's time in the White House.

The US and Iran have been adversaries for decades, dating back to the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the hostage crisis at the US Embassy that began the same year, but tensions reached historic heights under Trump.

Trump's decision to withdraw the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal was at the heart of the animosity. His administration employed a "maximum pressure" campaign against Tehran, vying to cripple the Iranian economy via harsh sanctions in hopes of eventually negotiating a more stringent version of the nuclear pact.

The Trump administration's strategy did not work. Iran took gradual steps away from the 2015 deal, which was designed to prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon in exchange for relief from economic sanctions. Meanwhile, a series of skirmishes in the Persian Gulf involving attacks on oil tankers that the US blamed on Iran raised concerns of a new conflict in the region.

In January 2020, Trump ordered a drone strike that killed Iran's top general, Qassem Soleimani. The strike pushed the US and Iran to the brink of war, prompting a retaliatory missile attack on US troops in Iraq that left dozens of people injured. Both sides ultimately stepped away from a broader conflict, but the heightened tensions between the US and Iran have continued into the Biden era.

https://www.businessinsider.com/milley-w...-ing-war-2021-7

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is a distillation of the original article.

You should read the original in the New Yorker. Much more detail, much more of an eye-opener.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c

You just can't make this crap up....

[satire]I'm sure glad to see that racism is no longer a problem in America.[/satire]

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Fox News reports the following IMPOSSIBLE jet that flies at twice the speed of light! lmao.

Article I read this in was shared by Bill Maher on FB:

https://futurism.com/the-byte/fox-news-russian-jet-twice-speed-light

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
She literally said that she likes Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson and then followed that up in the next sentence with she doesn’t like traitors who hate America.

Can we just think about that logic for a second?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
She literally said that she likes Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson and then followed that up in the next sentence with she doesn’t like traitors who hate America.

It's hard to believe she's that frickin stupid...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Russia has achieved warp capability.

This is what you can sell to rubes, if you just seem sincere enough.
Or authoritative enough.
Or repeat it often enough.

"Twice the speed of light."

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

The thing is that RE Lee was never convicted of treason, so if not convicted, how can he be called a traitor?

The Underwood court indicted him, but it never went anywhere.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Lee fought against the US Government for the rights to hold people in bondage and force labor from them. I don’t care if he was charged. He was not only a traitor. He was also on the wrong side of history, humanity, compassion, and everything else that makes a person not awful.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

The thing is that RE Lee was never convicted of treason, so if not convicted, how can he be called a traitor?

The Underwood court indicted him, but it never went anywhere.

Just a technicality

Doesn't change the fact that he led armies against the USA.

Unless of course you want to deny it.

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/25/21 07:59 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It’s common sense.

I’m pretty sure you don’t vindictively confiscate someone’s property and turn it into the most famous national cemetery, by burying dead US soldiers on it who he was responsible for killing, if that person is not a traitor.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Let me ask you, what would you call people who seceded from a nation, created their own nation, their own military and then attacked their former country? Named their own president and their own government and killed hundreds of thousands of their former nations soldiers?

That's the very definition of traitor. The reason they weren't convicted of treason has been made obvious. It was to make it easier to heal a nation. It had nothing to do with the actual crimes they committed. But then you already knew that before you made your post.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

well, you know why, bro.

she just told everyone who she thinks is the good guys and who aren't.

her logic is sound simply because that's the legacy and heritage she wishes was alive today.

people like her aren't stupid. they aren't illogical. they're just racist.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You know what amazes me about that? I'm talking about people from the south who claim that the confederacy is their heritage.

The confederacy lasted less than five years. It's a blip on the map of time. Can you imagine basing your heritage on a failed nation that drowned in defeat that actually lasted less than five years? That's what they want to hang their hats on and call their heritage? There have been generation after generation of southerners since not long after this nation began. And this short time frame is what they claim their heritage is? We both know there are certain reasons those who claim that have for it. And it's because they base what they believe on the confederacy.

They have wonderful food, great destinations and a lot of beauty in that area of our nation. Hell, I live in the south. My family is from the south. To the very last person in my family, not a single member of it claims to hang on to some failed, misguided rogue nation that lasted less than five years as "our heritage".

A strong work ethic, our faith, our food and our customs is what we claim is our southern heritage. Because it is.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
bro, do you remember all the conversations we use to have here about ISIS? how you can't defeat ISIS because its less of an organization and more an ideology.

it was ISIS, IS, ISIL, Deash, all kinds of names and branding they went through despite the fact that the ideology and motivations behind the ideology was the same.

its the same here in America. the confederacy is less an organization and more an ideology. thats why it never actually dies off. we "defeated" the confederates only to get the Klan, red shirts, and other crap groups and militias. and throughout american history we've had that ideology represented til this very day, where it definitely seems like that ideology has found a new home....scratch that, a HOST in the republican party. because that ideology is indeed a virus.

i have no doubt in my mind that the majority of anybody in the south are good people. ive experience more of my fair share to know that.

but there were good people in germany, too. what did they do to stop hitler and the nazi's from gaining power?

there's good people in the middle east. what did they do to stop the terrorist from gaining power?

there are good people here in america. what have we've done since the end of the civil war to stop the racist ideology from spreading?

if good people dont step up in mass numbers to defeat a threat, then it doesn't matter how good the individual or community is. the destruction, chaos, and despair will still come, and remain in place until the bulk of the country steps up and crushes them once and for all.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
but i have to be honest...im sick of us trying to fight the same enemy over and over and over again.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish

well, you know why, bro.

she just told everyone who she thinks is the good guys and who aren't.

her logic is sound simply because that's the legacy and heritage she wishes was alive today.

people like her aren't stupid. they aren't illogical. they're just racist.

Yeah, I know, but I still like to point it out to those who may be unbiased.

She definitely knows what she’s doing and what sentiment she is conjuring. It’s like the same thing when Josh Hawley rambles on about free speech with social media countries. He’s a former Supreme Court clerk and fully understands when free speech applies and doesn’t. But, he knows what he has to say to rile up his base.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It does make one wonder how the party who claims to stand for the constitution seems to pretend they have no idea what it actually says when it suits their purpose. Anyone who has seen the constitution knows good and well that free speech is an issue of our government not being able to pass laws that limit free speech. It has nothing to do with social media or private entities policies.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You've been on a roll, of late.

Another insightful post.
thumbsup

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus What Republicans Have Turned Into Numéro Trois

Link Copied to Clipboard