Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I have a friend who is a colts fan and he always loved his leadership and intangibles. Not sure he’s the best athlete, but he’ll be a little upgrade from Goodson IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Browns LB Anthony Walker changes to an unusual jersey number
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/...-jersey-number/

When watching the Cleveland Browns defense play this year, it will look a little strange to see a player wearing a No. 4 jersey in the middle.

No, it’s not Phil Dawson trying something new. The No. 4 jersey in Cleveland now belongs to linebacker Anthony Walker.

The LB is changing numbers from 54 to 4. While the Browns have not officially updated the roster, Walker donned the new jersey in Thursday’s minicamp session in Berea.

It’s a new look for Walker, who has worn more normal numbers for LBs (50 and 54) during his entire NFL career with the Indianapolis Colts. Walker sported No. 18 in college at Northwestern for two years before switching to No. 1 in his final Wildcats campaign.

The NFL changed the allowable jersey numbers for various positions this offseason. Linebackers are now allowed to wear numbers below 50, among the changes, and Walker is taking advantage of the rule change.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
'Good on paper': Browns LB Anthony Walker ready to make hard work at camp translate to field

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...nslate-to-field

By: Camryn Justice

BEREA, Ohio — It's no secret that the Cleveland Browns put an emphasis on improving the defense over the course of the offseason, adding big name players and drafting extremely talented prospects in various positions. With the defensive roster nearly unrecognizable from last season, the Browns have talent to work with heading into the regular season.

But for linebacker Anthony Walker Jr., that isn't enough.

"It's good on paper," Walker said. "We've been talking about that, a lot of good names, a lot of talent across the board—but we've got to go out here and put the work in. That's what we're trying to do everyday right now."

Walker, who will be wearing the green dot and calling plays for the defense as teammate John Johnson III said the first week of camp, will play a vital role in the Browns defense this season, taking the reins in a position that was arguably the weakest part of the Browns roster last year.

Having that responsibility each week is something he's more than comfortable doing, despite being in his first year with the Browns.

"At the end of the day, we want the green-dot person to get the communication in on what the call is and then we all go out there and make the right communication," Walker said. "I feel comfortable."

While he has a heightened responsibility, Walker did mention that he thinks his job on the field becomes a little easier with the Browns' new and improved defensive line featuring the bookends of Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney—a duo bound to instill fear in any opposing quarterback while, as Walker described, making the Browns defensive backs' jobs a bit easier.

"I only have four yard of field to cover when they're running the ball because the edge is set over here, the edge is set over there and the quarterback has two seconds to get rid of the ball, so I feel very comfortable with that" Walker said with a smile. "At the end of the day you have to be able to stop the run first, and that's every team that you play against... so whoever's on the field, we've got to be able to stop the run first."

Walker broke down the importance of having guys like Garrett and Clowney available to set the edge, explaining just how easy they can make his job—and seemed very excited about the prospect.

to field
items.[0].image.alt
Photo by: Matt Starkey/Cleveland Browns
Linebacker Anthony Walker (4) during the fourth day of training camp on July 31, 2021.
By: Camryn JusticePosted at 9:09 AM, Aug 07, 2021 and last updated 9:09 AM, Aug 07, 2021
BEREA, Ohio — It's no secret that the Cleveland Browns put an emphasis on improving the defense over the course of the offseason, adding big name players and drafting extremely talented prospects in various positions. With the defensive roster nearly unrecognizable from last season, the Browns have talent to work with heading into the regular season.

But for linebacker Anthony Walker Jr., that isn't enough.

"It's good on paper," Walker said. "We've been talking about that, a lot of good names, a lot of talent across the board—but we've got to go out here and put the work in. That's what we're trying to do everyday right now."

Walker, who will be wearing the green dot and calling plays for the defense as teammate John Johnson III said the first week of camp, will play a vital role in the Browns defense this season, taking the reins in a position that was arguably the weakest part of the Browns roster last year.

Having that responsibility each week is something he's more than comfortable doing, despite being in his first year with the Browns.

"At the end of the day, we want the green-dot person to get the communication in on what the call is and then we all go out there and make the right communication," Walker said. "I feel comfortable."

While he has a heightened responsibility, Walker did mention that he thinks his job on the field becomes a little easier with the Browns' new and improved defensive line featuring the bookends of Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney—a duo bound to instill fear in any opposing quarterback while, as Walker described, making the Browns defensive backs' jobs a bit easier.

"I only have four yard of field to cover when they're running the ball because the edge is set over here, the edge is set over there and the quarterback has two seconds to get rid of the ball, so I feel very comfortable with that" Walker said with a smile. "At the end of the day you have to be able to stop the run first, and that's every team that you play against... so whoever's on the field, we've got to be able to stop the run first."

Walker broke down the importance of having guys like Garrett and Clowney available to set the edge, explaining just how easy they can make his job—and seemed very excited about the prospect.

In addition to the veteran free agent signings the Browns made this offseason are the talented rookies taken in and after the 2021 NFL Draft, including cornerback Greg Newsome II, who Walker has been personally mentoring, and linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

With position rooms filled with talented young players, Walker, a five-year NFL veteran and still young himself, is ready to let iron sharpen iron as they compete against each other through training camp—many fighting for a starting role on a jam-packed roster.

"A lot of competition. We're pushing each other, we're getting each other better," Walker said. "Guys are playing well. We're going over the film and guys are, as coach is saying, 'night and day better than they were last year." So I think we're all getting better."

Walker, who was sidelined after injuring his knee during Monday's practice session, will be out "a week plus," according to head coach Kevin Stefanski, but even while he's out he's still making an impact, observing practice and remaining vocal with his teammates. As camp continues, Walker will look to get back to work when he's cleared to return and get the revamped roster ready for Sunday game days.

"Like I said, it looks good on paper but this is the time where you come together, you put the work in and on Sundays, you let the work show," Walker said.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
His field contributions will be there barring injury, I think. But what may be important as well is his locker room chemistry, and also what he does to help the whippersnappers develop, especially in prep, films, practice habits, and position tips. That pays benefits down the road.

Anxious to see it. Upside is major IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Whippersnappers ... lol. Walker is 26. He's hardly ready for a cane and Social Security. rofl

For perspective, he is the same age as Takitaki, Teller, and Baker Mayfield.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Whippersnappers ... lol. Walker is 26. He's hardly ready for a cane and Social Security. rofl

For perspective, he is the same age as Takitaki, Teller, and Baker Mayfield.

Wow, didn't know he's still a whippersnapper too! Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Anthony Walker

Link Copied to Clipboard