Print Thread
#1876803 08/20/21 08:29 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Looks like he's down for the season:

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Our injury luck with the LSU guys has been awful.

Mack, Takitaki and E Lee may have just jumped off the bubble.

Legend
Legend

According to the PD he may return late in the season.

Lousy news. It seems impossible to get out of camp without major injury.

I know they error on the side of caution. Hamstrings get rested quickly. Guys with anything get held out practice.

I know vets get rested.

Pre-season games have become games for making the roster players, rookies, and second and third string.

It still sucks to lose a guy. Phillips was going to see plenty of playing time.

Hope he recovers quickly.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Very glad we have depth at linebacker this year. Hope he recovers quickly.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Very glad we have depth at linebacker this year. Hope he recovers quickly.

I don't see the depth, at least depth we want playing for extended periods of time.

Looks like a roster cut position we are going to monitor or even look for a trade.

I saw Phillips as a possible starter or 1st guy off the bench type player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As you know Bone I am high on Phillips but at the same time he has had injury issues and now this.

I hope he works hard heals up and gets back sooner then anyone expects, he was IMO truly ready I believe to take his game to the next level he was a solid LB that with some seasoning could have had a break out year this season. Saddens me.

Saw a piece on the NFL network about injuries and most of them happen in training camp. It happens every year lets hope they can get the rest of the guys to game one before we have any more bad news.

I think that is why they aren't working some of our guys hardly at all bikes and workouts that is it. Keep them healthy work them hard once you are ready to install your game plan work them in, in game one and go from there. But if training camp takes out players then you simply take guys off the field the moment trouble shows up and some guys who really don't need pre season you basically sit them on the sidelines get them all bikes and wait until the real bullets are about to fly. Put them on the field and go.

That is sort of what the Browns are doing yet we still are having issues thank God we are so deep will weather most storms and the guys we need the most aren't playing or are hardly practicing. Not much else they can do really.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Stinks for him, and definitely drops the upside of our LB core. He was 1 of 2 guys with really good speed.

Also, Walker is our only listed Mike now. So how does the coaching staff respond? LB usage is something I fully admit that I do not follow. Does Woods even use traditional S/M/W roles?

Browns fans are born with it...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As long as Walker stays healthy our Lb corp will be significantly improved over last season. If JOK is even half of what bonefish thinks then our Lb crew will be formidable when those 2 ae on the field. If Taki and/or Mack improve 5% then we will be fine. I agree that we will be looking for quality cuts from other teams. Perhaps a veteran cut related to money and an upcoming youngster on a bad team that signs cheaply because of limited openings and a desire to play on a playoff contender after years of playing for a bad team.

Speaking of veterans, is Malcolm Smith still on the team?

Sucks to see Phillips get injured both for him personally and the team as he looked to be a huge breakout player. Someone mentioned that Mack, Taki, and Lee benefit from the injury. I would propose that ultimately the biggest beneficiary will be Walker. I think we signed him to a 1 year contract because we expected Phillips to make a huge leap in development and we would go with Phillips and JOK as our main Lb's in 2022. Now I think that we will try to resign Walker.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
That sucks for him...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Him going down stinks.

Last year as a rookie he showed promise. Good reaction speed. He looked like a guy who would develop into a three down backer.

It has been encouraging that Wilson has had a good camp.

Taki also has improved.

We can handle the loss of Phillips. The main reason is because of the defenses we will run under Woods.

The base will be a 4-2-5. We will also scheme plenty of nickle and dime.

Lastly JOK will prove to be a player who has to stay on the field.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Lastly JOK will prove to be a player who has to stay on the field.

I must confess he is proving to me he needs to be on the field and if I were the coach I could put him on the field say stand over here watch for just a moment then go and blow up whatever you see. He would be without assignment just look and react and destroy.

He makes everyone on the field look like their playing with led boots on his burst is unbelievable there has never been a player like him that is what i think. Turn him lose I say.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh and fish I think they are going to sick JOK on Mahommes that boy is going to make his life a nightmare.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

I am already drooling.

He will be the difference maker against Mahomes and Lamar.

Both those players depend upon extending plays. They do that by excapability against pressure.

Our DE's are both fast.

But this guy will close on them like something they have never experienced.

The football media can talk forever about anything NFL. 24/7/365.

What happens is quarterback worship or quarterback degrading.

Mahomes is in the worship class. Lamar is sliding a little.

However, when you pull the stats alone and forget the no look passes. Mahomes (who I think is great) is not untouchable.

Height Weight Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yard split 20-yard split 20-yard shuttle Three-cone drill Vertical jump Broad jump Wonderlic
6 ft 2 in
(1.88 m) 225 lb
(102 kg) 33+1⁄4 in
(0.84 m) 9+1⁄4 in
(0.23 m) 4.80 s 1.65 s 2.80 s 4.08 s 6.88 s 30 in
(0.76 m) 9 ft 6 in
(2.90 m) 24

Baker's numbers are not that much different.

Pre-draft measurables
Height Weight Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yard split 20-yard split 20-yard shuttle Three-cone drill Vertical jump Broad jump Wonderlic
6 ft 0+5⁄8 in
(1.84 m) 215 lb
(98 kg) 30+1⁄4 in
(0.77 m) 9+1⁄4 in
(0.23 m) 4.84 s 1.72 s 2.84 s 4.28 s 7.00 s 29 in
(0.74 m) 9 ft 3 in
(2.82 m) 25

Mahomes is not getting away from JOK.

Lamar of course is different. He is the matchup that will be interesting. Lamar is super slick and shifty.

But coming out from the pocket is different than open field.

JOK is a different breed.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
BONEFISH,

Looking at measurables for guys already proven in the league seems kind of pointless to me. I get what you are saying about speed and JOK's ability to track with PM and LJ, but it's not like they haven't seen speedy backers or disruptive rushers before.

i.e. I think you're going a bit overboard, especially on Mahomes. Dude can make plays all day from the pocket. Lamar, yes, if we can do a better job of cutting off running lanes and rushing throws on those broken plays, the Ravens become much more beatable. But it's still hypothetical. Everyone has a plan to make that guy throw from the pocket and on time. Probably most have spying backers, too. We'll see, and I'll happily admit being wrong if JOK is some "new breed" like you claim.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good opportunity for JOK.

Legend
Legend

The posted measureables were there to point out nothing more than that.

Sure both have won MVP's.

But they are not invincible.

No matter who the quarterback is pressure matters.

So does where the pressure comes from and how it gets there.

We shall see.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
No, they aren't invincible, and I certainly hope that JOM is some kind of X-factor, but I don't like counting on rookies to be difference-makers right away.

T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brown...ing-per-report/

In report, it led the Browns to re-sign Willie Harvey from 2019 udfa's. Remember Him? Me either.

Anyone saying, Oh, it's an opportunity for JOK, gimme a break front door outta here!
They were both going to be on the field at the same time, a bunch of times, and now one of them is not.

Noone who went to that school seems to have a healthy NFL season Period!

The LSU logo may as well be a Hostital H

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We sure can't afford to lose anymore LB's!

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
How close is Tony Fields II to being ready from any college injury? Even if it's 5 spots down the chain Tony Fields, as a linebacker vs. as a safety has to move up a depth chart with Phillips out for the year.

I'd rather everyone is healthy,
The DeFense! A Buzz Saw! is a Buzz Saw because there are so many playmakers.

Each injury reduces the potential to see that Buzz Saw on the next individual play of the whole season.
A wolf pack kind of feeds off each other wearing down the opponent by attacking in an alternating way from different positions.
There is no book where Phillips wasn't at least Linebacker number 2.

This injury is devastating.

Tony Fields II is going to have to become a member of the defensive Buzz Saw!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Oh and fish I think they are going to sick JOK on Mahommes that boy is going to make his life a nightmare.

He's going to be going after Lamar as well.... My hope is with strong results in shutting him down...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree fish he is a different player then I think we any of us have ever seen.

Yup, we will see but man this guy truly is something else.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns have shown no ability to shut down Lamar.

If the Browns wore rocket skates the Ravens scheme, particularly the designed qb runs
where half the defense covers deep receivers,
and the other half of the defense is invited into the pockets backfield

and one hole in the pocket allows the QB to squirt free, for 12 yard gains,

over and over, and over again,

the Browns have shown no ability to figure out and stop defensively.

Whether it is, Arizona Qb
or Baltimore backup Qb.
or Buffalo Bills QB.
or Just about any quarterback out there.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/20/21 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Whoah! That is one big bicep to tear.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Ouch this one hurts. I was really looking forward to seeing him develop. His speed is impressive and seems to have good instincts.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns are going to have to move some of their bottom talent to someone that has an over abundance of LBers and work a deal to get a LB or 2 that can play in our scheme.

That said these guys they are bringing back are being brought in just to have some bodies to put on the field to wrap up camp they will be cut, the long term solution is either in the ranks of unsigned vets or someone else's squad who might be cut, they will have to work a trade and use some of our over abundance of talent perhaps a WR or RB. This will not go unaddressed and Berry and Ski are looking for help.

Don't be distracted by these moves they are truthfully not our last move is my guess. Think long term and look to FA LBers and other squads for our answer to this problem.

Berry is working on it you can bet. We have the ammo to address this, and for me playing JOK early is actually a blessing we need backup experienced help IMO, and will get it in the next week is my guess.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester
As long as Walker stays healthy our Lb corp will be significantly improved over last season. If JOK is even half of what bonefish thinks then our Lb crew will be formidable when those 2 ae on the field. If Taki and/or Mack improve 5% then we will be fine. I agree that we will be looking for quality cuts from other teams. Perhaps a veteran cut related to money and an upcoming youngster on a bad team that signs cheaply because of limited openings and a desire to play on a playoff contender after years of playing for a bad team.

Speaking of veterans, is Malcolm Smith still on the team?

Sucks to see Phillips get injured both for him personally and the team as he looked to be a huge breakout player. Someone mentioned that Mack, Taki, and Lee benefit from the injury. I would propose that ultimately the biggest beneficiary will be Walker. I think we signed him to a 1 year contract because we expected Phillips to make a huge leap in development and we would go with Phillips and JOK as our main Lb's in 2022. Now I think that we will try to resign Walker.

I don't disagree. My comments were in response to the depth of the LB corp.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

As much as I hate losing Phillips we can adapt.

The secondary in total will be the key. Last year the secondary was a mess. The additions of Johnson, Hill, Greedy, Delpit, and Newsome are massive upgrades.

We have enough backers from last year along with JOK and Tony Fields.

Fields has not played but he should be ready at some point.

We will not play three backers often.

The safety's and corners along with the pass rush should be all we need.

Walker and Smith are experienced proven players.
Taki and Wilson have been in the system and should be better players.

JOK and Fields are rookies.

That still leaves guys who are on the roster:
Elijah Lee, Willie Harvey, Montrel Meander.

Plus Berry will be looking. We have players that we can trade to get additional help if need be.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I"m sure we can adapt but I'd sure love to see what JP can do when healthy. I feel he is a real talent.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I"m sure we can adapt but I'd sure love to see what JP can do when healthy. I feel he is a real talent.

Not only that, JOK is a rookie, be it one who might be ready, and counting on Delpit and Greedy is a stretch.

Has Fields done anything yet?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
"Things" on D aren't quite as comfortable as they were 2 weeks ago are they?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Nope, they aren't. Not in dire straights but is certainly getting uncomfortable. Injuries seem to be stacking up on D already, as seems to be tbe same every year.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Probably about the same, just jumbled around.

A few weeks ago JOK wasn't in practice and many had Mack Wilson as on the bubble, on the verge of being cut. Today both seem to have made strides.

No doubt we will be interested in waiver wire, or even interested in making a trade for a player or two before they are cut.

Some team with depth at backer who they will have to cut but weak on Oline should be eager to make a trade with us since we will be cutting a decent Olineman or two.

It makes sense to trade and not have to hope your waiver claim is upheld.

I don't know the status of all the other teams when it comes to their linebacker situation, but a few of the Olinemen playing for us today are auditioning for other teams.

I could see a trade happening next week. That would give the players and teams a few weeks before the start of the season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jacob Phillips Tears Bicep

Link Copied to Clipboard