Legend
M
Statue of Confederate Robert E. Lee taken down in Virginia
By SARAH RANKIN and DENISE LAVOIE
2 minutes ago

By SARAH RANKIN and DENISE LAVOIE
2 minutes ago
link

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A crowd erupted in cheers and song Wednesday as work crews hoisted an enormous statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia’s capital city for more than a century.

The piece, one of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy, was lifted away just before 9 a.m. as one of the construction workers who helped strap harnesses to Lee and his horse lifted his arms in the air and counted down, “Three, two, one!” to jubilant shouts from a crowd of hundreds.

“This was a long time coming, part of the healing process so Virginia can move forward and be a welcoming state with inclusiveness and diversity,” Gov. Ralph Northam said once the statue was lowered to the ground. The Democrat said it represents “more than 400 years of history that we should not be proud of,” and he congratulated Virginians for supporting its removal.

Black Lives Matter signs were seen in the crowd. Some chanted “Whose streets? Our streets!” and sang, “Hey hey hey, goodbye.”

The statue was lowered to the ground where it was expected to be cut into pieces so that it can be brought to a secure location, where it will be stored until its final disposition is determined.

One of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy, was taken down from its prominent perch after years of resistance and a long court battle. Among the crowd watching the removal, there did not appear to be any visible counterprotesters.

Northam ordered the statue taken down last summer, citing the pain felt across the country over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis after a white police officer pressed a knee into his neck. But until a recent court ruling cleared the way, Northam’s plans had been tied up in litigation.

The statue, a 21-foot (6-meter) bronze equestrian sculpture that sits atop a pedestal nearly twice that tall, has towered above a prominent residential boulevard named Monument Avenue since 1890 in this former capital of the Confederacy.

Crews began work before 8 a.m. Wednesday. Two public viewing areas were set up, with only limited visibility. A crowd of about 200 people chanted “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now!” as a work crew dwarfed by the size of the statue strapped red and blue harnesses to the Lee figure and his horse. The workers were lifted up to the statue on platforms.

The state brought in a deconstruction crew surrounded by a heavy police presence to strap the statue to a crane. State, capitol and city police officers closed streets for blocks around the state-owned traffic circle in Richmond, using heavy equipment and crowd-control barriers to keep crowds away. The Federal Aviation Administration granted the state’s request to ban drone flights during the event, which will be livestreamed through the governor’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.

“This is a historic moment for the city of Richmond. The city, the community at large is saying that we’re not going to stand for these symbols of hate in our city anymore. And it was important for me to be here to see this historic moment,” said Rachel Smucker, 28, a Richmond resident who was at the viewing site early Wednesday with her sister.

Smucker, who is white, said she moved to Richmond around three years ago. It was her first time living in the South, and she found Monument Avenue “jarring.”

“I’ve always found it to be offensive, as a symbol of protecting slavery and the racism that people of color still face today,” Smucker said.

The one-of-a-kind piece, valued for its artistic quality, stood among four other massive Confederate statues on the avenue, but the city removed the others last summer.

“We put things on pedestals when we want people to look up,” Northam said in June 2020 when he announced the removal plan. “Think about the message that this sends to people coming from around the world to visit the capital city of one of the largest states in our country. Or to young children.”

The statue’s removal was expected to be completed Wednesday. Plans called for it to be cut into at least two pieces and hauled to an undisclosed state-owned facility until a decision is made about its final disposition. The pedestal is to remain for the time being, although workers are expected to remove decorative plaques and extricate a time capsule on Thursday.

After Floyd’s death, the area around the statute became a hub for protests and occasional clashes between police and demonstrators. The pedestal has been covered by constantly evolving, colorful graffiti, with many of the hand-painted messages denouncing police and demanding an end to systemic racism and inequality.

The decisions by the governor and Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney to remove the Confederate tributes marked a major victory for civil rights activists, whose previous calls over the decades to remove the statues had been steadfastly rebuked by city and state officials alike.

A previous wave of resistance to the statues came in 2017 when a rally of white supremacists in the city of Charlottesville erupted into violence. Other Confederate monuments started falling around the country.

But in Virginia, local governments were hamstrung by a state law that protected memorials to war veterans. That law was amended in 2020 by the new Democratic majority at the statehouse and signed by Northam. With the changes that took effect on July 1, 2020, localities could decide the monuments’ fate.

Stoney then moved swiftly, citing the continuing demonstrations and concerns that protesters could get hurt if they tried to bring down the enormous statues themselves.

Work crews removed statues of Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, Confederate naval officer Matthew Maury and Gen. J.E.B. Stuart from the thoroughfare. Before Stoney’s decree, protesters toppled a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Although the figures themselves are gone, their pedestals remain.

Northam’s plans to remove the Lee statue stalled until the Supreme Court of Virginia cleared the way last week in unanimous rulings against two lawsuits, saying that in a democracy, “values change and public policy changes too.”

The changes have remade the prestigious avenue, which is lined with mansions and tony apartments and is partly preserved as a National Historic Landmark district. Richmond officials are advancing plans to remove the pedestals and other remnants of the statuary and at least temporarily pave over or re-landscape the sites. Northam has tapped the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts to lead a community-driven redesign for the whole avenue, a process that is expected to be drawn-out and has yet to make substantial progress.

A statue of Black tennis hero and Richmond native Arthur Ashe that was erected on the avenue in 1996 is expected to remain.

As for the Lee statue, Northam has said his administration will seek public input on what should happen to it next.

___

Associated Press writer Alan Suderman contributed to this report.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Should be moved to political forum before the comments start.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Good

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Losers shouldn’t get statues.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Participation statues?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Poor Joe Thomas getting sniped in a Robert E. Lee thread.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Especially treasonous, traitor losers.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Poor Joe Thomas getting sniped in a Robert E. Lee thread.

Hey now! He won almost every battle he fought for 11 years.
Lee and the confederacy crumbled before their rookie contract was up.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cancel Culture continues..................

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Cancel Culture continues..................

Like, like when Trump told you to boycott all of those corporations that did things he didn't like or said things he didn't like? That kind of cancel culture? Or like, like country music boycotting The Dixie Chicks because they said something Republicans didn't like about W? That kind of cancel culture?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Careful or you’ll get some on your shoe…

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't actually reply to him, for him. More so for others and my own amusement. wink

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Monument Ave.in Richmond was a very beautiful boulevard.There were many statues dedicated to confederate generals placed in traffic circles.The homes were mainly brick and stately.Spent many spectacular evenings cruising the Mon.with my arm around my baby.
Life goes on.Things I enjoy aren't for everyone.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you can't enjoy the beautiful boulevard and scenic beauty of Richmond without statues of confederate war generals?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's a shame.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, without those participation trophies of traitors things will never be the same.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So you can't enjoy the beautiful boulevard and scenic beauty of Richmond without statues of confederate war generals?

Not from my house.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Monument Ave.in Richmond was a very beautiful boulevard.There were many statues dedicated to confederate generals placed in traffic circles.The homes were mainly brick and stately.Spent many spectacular evenings cruising the Mon.with my arm around my baby.
Life goes on.Things I enjoy aren't for everyone.

ahh, how i miss looking at the statues of those who fought to keep slaves in chains. sad times.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Legend
Legend
Quote:
ahh, how i miss looking at the statues of those who fought to keep slaves in chains. sad times.

[takes off hat, places it over his heart]

This is a major loss.
For pigeons.

Now, they'll have to go back to targeting freshly-washed cars.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

The statue is on private property. Don't let the FB posts and memes dog walk you.

Since 1995, the statue has been held in trust waiting for a buyer, standing on temporary display for the last 26 years on a prominent street corner in Fremont. It has become a local landmark, frequently being either decorated or vandalized. The statue has sparked political controversy, including criticism for being communist chic and not taking the historic meaning of Lenin and communism seriously (or taking it too seriously), or by comparing the purported acceptance of such a charged political symbol to the removal of Confederate monuments and memorials. Much of the debate ignores the statue's private ownership and installation on private property, with the public and government having virtually no say in the matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin_(Seattle)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think about Robert E. Lee with mixed emotions. At the end of the day he is an American that was forced to make a choice that he probably did not want to make.

He is not a demon, or a hero, to fight over this has no merit. I think it is sad that his image has been used to reenforce a narrative that has been settled.

I will say that he should be remembered as he is a historical figure. I would have personally advocated another statue, as a replacement, perhaps Lee with northern figure to provide balance, or one without him in the general’s uniform contemplating the consequences of his actions.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since I can’t edit and though about this a bit more….

The statute should be melted down and reformed to illustrate America as a melting pot of diversity.

I can’t help but think that Loving vs the State of Virginia (black and white can marry) would be an appropriate resurrection. But that is a bit too far left for even me.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
There you go GOPers who don't want them taken down, just go buy them from the cities and stick them in your yard.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So fish was fooled by an internet meme that sent the message he wanted to believe without doing his homework. Imagine that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You know what? Screw it. Imma show the same energy guy toward southern conservatives that they show every time a natural disaster hits.

People in the south are dying from Covid because god is punishing y’all. Every last conservative who gets Covid is because of Gods will.

The confederate statues being taken down? Gods will.

Trump losing the election? Gods will.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't attach the multitude of mocking tweets associated with this article but feel free to click the link and read them. Link also contains trumps full statement which doesn't copy and paste

Trump’s Weird New Rant About Robert E. Lee Contains A Baffling 3-Word Claim
Ed Mazza
Thu, September 9, 2021, 4:13 AM EDT·3 min read

Former President Donald Trump released a new statement on Wednesday praising Robert E. Lee, even as a statue of the Confederate general was taken down in Richmond, Virginia.

Trump said Lee is considered “the greatest strategist of them all,” a notion that is very much in dispute.

Trump, who has often come down on the side of the Confederacy, also declared that Lee would have singlehandedly won the Civil War, “except for Gettysburg.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-weird-rant-robert-e-081318204.html

Last edited by Jester; 09/09/21 12:19 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Take the statue down, it's the right thing to do.

Some folks argue, how will we know the history if we remove the statues, but seriously, what is the history lesson being learned from the statue?

Is it that if you attempt to overthrow the US government and fail, that you are allowed to walk away, become the President of a college, live out the rest of your days peacefully, and have a statue erected in a prominent place in your honor?

Is that really the lesson we should be teaching?

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
One part of one of these articles that brought up does hit me. These statues displayed up on pedestals within these really nice areas with the landscaping and other architecture all around it.... it suggests deference/reverence towards the people being displayed.

I don't think the statues should be destroyed because it's part of our history. But I also don't think the people that fought to continue slavery should be held in places of honor.

All history should be preserved, but not all history should be put on a pedestal.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
More that the communist one party media in this country thinks its such a big deal to advertise all over the country some statue coming down,
than the actual thing coming down.

Click to reveal..
2. Where ya going to (go number 1.) now?

Legend
Legend
If these statues represent history, it should be ALL of history.
Namely, we should also be discussing when and why these abominations were erected.

learn

something

new

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
One part of one of these articles that brought up does hit me. These statues displayed up on pedestals within these really nice areas with the landscaping and other architecture all around it.... it suggests deference/reverence towards the people being displayed.

I don't think the statues should be destroyed because it's part of our history. But I also don't think the people that fought to continue slavery should be held in places of honor.

All history should be preserved, but not all history should be put on a pedestal.

I agree with you, all history should be preserved but it should be displayed in context.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
At least Lee led the troops that captured that horrible abolitionist John Brown which led to his hanging for freeing slaves. Thank goodness!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At least Lee led the troops that captured that horrible abolitionist John Brown which led to his hanging for freeing slaves. Thank goodness!

Been following Facebook I see...

He wasn't hanged for freeing slaves, he was hanged for an insurrection against a government arsenal in which a number of people died... He was hanged for attempting to steal guns to start a civil war at the exact time that Abraham Lincoln was doing everything in his power to PREVENT a civil war...

Or do you believe that invading and taking a government facility hostage is noble as long as one believes their cause is just?

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
No, I m quite aware of all those things. It was more of something I planted expecting such a response. Because you see, Lee was responsible for leading troops against the The United states of America. You mention "taking over a public facility". I'll see your public facility and raise you invading, attacking and occupying our states. He was responsible for trying to keep slavery. And we have people thinking Lee still deserves a statue.

So let's see, one gets hung and one gets a statue. Hmmmm....

And I mean if you want to talk about insurrectionists, there's Jan 6th. Yes, less deaths, but still. The right wing nuts are holding a rally for them because they call them political prisoners and they've been wronged.

No wonder they think Lee should be praised in the public square.

rofl

Thanks for playing!

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Been following Facebook I see...

He wasn't hanged for freeing slaves, he was hanged for an insurrection against a government arsenal in which a number of people died... He was hanged for attempting to steal guns to start a civil war at the exact time that Abraham Lincoln was doing everything in his power to PREVENT a civil war...

Or do you believe that invading and taking a government facility hostage is noble as long as one believes their cause is just?

So Pitt was fooled by a Facebook article (probably Occupy Democrats)that sent the message he wanted to believe without doing his homework. Imagine that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, I wasn't fooled at all. Try reading the response. You see, Lee was no less guilty of those same things but the south and some far right wingers thought he deserved a statue while they thought Brown deserved to be hanged.

Try to keep up.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
No, I m quite aware of all those things. It was more of something I planted expecting such a response. Because you see, Lee was responsible for leading troops against the The United states of America. You mention "taking over a public facility". I'll see your public facility and raise you invading, attacking and occupying our states. He was responsible for trying to keep slavery. And we have people thinking Lee still deserves a statue.

So let's see, one gets hung and one gets a statue. Hmmmm....

Two historical but separate events. If you think that Lee should have been put on trial and hung, that's a fair point. You should write a letter of complaint to Abraham Lincoln.

Quote:
And I mean if you want to talk about insurrectionists, there's Jan 6th. Yes, less deaths, but still. The right wing nuts are holding a rally for them because they call them political prisoners and they've been wronged.

No wonder they think Lee should be praised in the public square.

Your analogy is flawed.. in this analogy, the Jan 6th protestors who stormed and occupied the Capitol are analogous to John Brown, who stormed and occupied the arsenal, not to Robert E. Lee, who captured him.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was talking about the acts of two separate men and the double standard people hold for similar acts/crimes they committed. Abraham Lincoln has nothing to do with that.

Once again, depending on who committed insurrection dictates the standards and responsibility each one deserves for the same infraction.

These are both examples of how it's not what an individual actually does that determines people's perception, it's who they are and which side they are on.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If we’re so concerned about honoring war heroes, why can’t we just put up statues of guys who received medal of honors from WW2- recent war campaigns?

I just can’t understand how people get so upset about taking down statues of clowns who fought to NOT be American. Who fought to keep their fellow Americans in chains.

People show that much passion over these clowns, yet got the nerve to whine about being called racist.

That would be like me whining over a statue of Louis Farrakhan being taken down and then act confused as to why people call me anti white.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Statue of Confederate Robert E. Lee taken down in Virginia

Link Copied to Clipboard