Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Congrats bone!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good for you Bone. I understand what you and your family are going through. I'm in that situation with my wife but we keep fighting. Take care and congrats!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Good for you Bone. I understand what you and your family are going through. I'm in that situation with my wife but we keep fighting. Take care and congrats!!

I will be saying a prayer for Mrs. Homewood dog to get better. Joking to the side i wish you all the best as well.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Maybe my expectations are just higher than yours.

In game one with so many new moving parts you may be right. I mean having someone to throw the ball to that is open is also a part of what happened. I just had more realistic expectations for game 1.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
[quote=WSU Willie]... for game 1.

I think it's also good to put the reminder out there that it's a 17-game season. This loss won't cripple us.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

I have two grandsons.

One just turned 15 and joined the Navy ROTC program as a freshman.

His brother will be nine tomorrow. I live with them.

I cherish them. The gemstones of my life right now.

My grandsons Mom will turn forty next month. My son is 36.

A day never passes when I don't reflect upon how fortunate I have been.

The past is history. Tomorrow a mystery.

Today is a gift. That's way they call it the present.

Stay well.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
* I don't recall hearing Newsome's name at all.

This is why....

I'm surprised Reid didn't target the rookie more in this game. I suppose even if Ward was on T. Hill, you still target him.

Even if he wasn't on Hill, they still have Hardman.
This is a damn good sign for our secondary in 2021 and beyond.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
[quote=WSU Willie]... for game 1.

I think it's also good to put the reminder out there that it's a 17-game season. This loss won't cripple us.

I realize that...shoot...I didn't expect to win that game until it started to unfold in front of me.

My issue is twofold:

#1 - We had the same issues last year with lesser talent...dramatically lesser talent. We were "told" that Woods can't run the defense "HE" wants with last year's personnel.

I have issues within that issue. #1 coach the players you have and scheme what they can do. #2 If it "takes awhile" to get it...it's too complicated.

#2 - If it will still "take awhile", then W.I.T.H. did the starters not play together until the opener? As I've opined...the "gel" excuse is complete BS and - if that's an issue - it's on Woods.

Game 1 looked a lot like games 1-16 last year...that's my issue.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Maybe my expectations are just higher than yours.

In game one with so many new moving parts you may be right. I mean having someone to throw the ball to that is open is also a part of what happened. I just had more realistic expectations for game 1.

I understand. But when you only get home twice, you can't cover Kelce and Hill for as long as Mahomes was given...against rookies at C-RG-RT no less.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Prayers for her that she will be free of the disease that afflicts her, and comfort and strength for both of you, and your family.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The past is history. Tomorrow a mystery.

Today is a gift. That's way they call it the present.

That's beautiful.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This was explained before the game and I'll try again. There is a huge difference between man blocking and zone blocking. One is very simple and one is quite complex. It's not as if people weren't warned about that.

We have many new moving parts on this defense and this was game one.

I posted many, many times that this D would take time to learn to play together as a unit. Of course there was a lot of opposition posted that did not agree. You see, you can learn a playbook. That's actually the easiest part. But when you are thinking about what it is you're doing it isn't natural.

Only through playing actual downs and games on the field can you get to the point that what you're doing no longer becomes mechanical but instinctual. That doesn't happen in the first game with so many new moving parts.

Mahomes, IMO is currently one of at least the top three QB's in the NFL. He has made so many great defenses look lost it's ridiculous.

This defense basically went through an entire rebuild as it pertains to players. I saw exactly what I expected to see. For fans who expected to see some finished product straight out of the gate, they were disappointed.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Can not take credit for that.

I heard once and took it to heart.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thank you Brown and YTown I appreciate the prayers and thoughts. My wife started Immuno therapy yesterday and the Doctors are optimistic it will help keep the cancer from returning. Fingers crossed.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll hesitantly agree with you regarding our Dline play. I personally didn't see all the DE's running into each other quite like you are saying, but I do find it disappointing that those guys seem to routinely play undisciplined when up against QBs that we KNOW you can't just run after them as fast as possible. You have to contain them first and go for the sack after. I thought we saw this way too much last year vs Lamar... not that we didn't get him on the ground a ton but more that we allowed him to break contain too much (IMO). IMO, this is more a discipline/coaching issue than anything else.

For the back-end, I think more time is needed to play better against the likes of KC. As I've said before, KC week1 was a tough draw. Over the next few weeks I think you'll see the D come together really well.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

For fans who expected to see some finished product straight out of the gate, they were disappointed.

I don't think this is really the issue. I think most of those fans were expecting to see something different than last year. I believe there is an argument to be made on both sides of whether or not there was anything different.

I think the talent level of our secondary was a clear improvement. JJ3 and Denzel had some beautiful PBUs, and IIRC they got their hands on the ball at least twice for potential INTs. JJ3 if he looks back just steps before INTs that ball Hill scores on. The secondary as a whole IMO didn't look so blatantly out of position every play like last year.

Communication on the field within the DEF was much better.

I asked on a couple threads what the role of our LBers is supposed to be. I had the exact same question last year.

DLine is a mixed bag for me. Statistically I think our DEs had a really good game, but to me it was our DTs that seemed to be having more of an impact.

That said, I think they handled the run pretty well.

I certainly wouldn't agree with anyone calling to fire Woods but I would like to see some adjustments. I get we're relying on generating pressure from our front 4. Myles registering 8 pressures may be good enough against most QBs, but guys like Mahommes its not. You have to get to him. This frustrates me because sometimes you need to bring a 5th guy and in light of our LBers don't seem to have any other job....

One last area that I think is a fair discussion although I don't know what or if there is a correct answer for it, is when I hear from the announcers that the Chiefs run Hill over the top with Kelce underneath 38% of the time. My initial feeling is that if its that predictable and the talent level in our secondary is legit... maybe they shouldn't be killing us like that. I don't know. Maybe they are just that good to be that can't miss Madden play. Maybe the plan was to let it happen but keep the emphasis on not letting them in to the endzone. Who knows.

Having said all that.. I do think our defense is going to chew up most lesser offenses in the league this year.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
100 million dollars 0 sacks .
i may have lost yesterday but I DAM sure would have hurt KELCE,HILL,AND MAHOMES.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
100 million dollars 0 sacks .
i may have lost yesterday but I DAM sure would have hurt KELCE,HILL,AND MAHOMES.

You raise a great point!

Hardly any pressure on Mahomeys and Hill and Kelce were barely touched.

If you can't cover them at least tackle the HELL out of them. Make them feel a shot instead of pattycakes!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mahomes was hit a lot

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw 2 friendly sacks and a couple of nudges.

It's like the NFL told the Browns not to touch their 2nd favorite player.

We all know who their favorite player is.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This was explained before the game and I'll try again. There is a huge difference between man blocking and zone blocking. One is very simple and one is quite complex. It's not as if people weren't warned about that.

We have many new moving parts on this defense and this was game one.

I posted many, many times that this D would take time to learn to play together as a unit. Of course there was a lot of opposition posted that did not agree. You see, you can learn a playbook. That's actually the easiest part. But when you are thinking about what it is you're doing it isn't natural.

Only through playing actual downs and games on the field can you get to the point that what you're doing no longer becomes mechanical but instinctual. That doesn't happen in the first game with so many new moving parts.

Mahomes, IMO is currently one of at least the top three QB's in the NFL. He has made so many great defenses look lost it's ridiculous.

This defense basically went through an entire rebuild as it pertains to players. I saw exactly what I expected to see. For fans who expected to see some finished product straight out of the gate, they were disappointed.

Let's talk about the DLine performace...since that is what I keep harping on...

I've explained the issue before and I'll say it again (see how annoying that condescending BS can be?)...

The Chiefs entire OLine is new from last year...an entire re build as you stated above. They are playing rookies at C-RG-RT...they figured out how to "play as a unit" before game #1. Why couldn't our DLine do the same?

Woods did not expose diddly on that Chiefs line...our million $ guys were stymied all day long. Joe Jackson has the same # of sacks as MG...probably more if MG shared his with Clowney.

If we are to give Woods slack because it "takes awhile", then he should have played the starters SOME in the pre-season. It can't go both ways.

I'm not ready to fire Woods...but he will make his own seat warm if the DLine continues to look average - along with the rest of the D - with the studs he was handed.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

PFF Browns defensive grades vs Chiefs:

Malik McDowell was highest graded on defense: 83.0
Denzel Ward: 74.4
Greg Newsome: 72.6

Link has the rest of the defensive grades.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09...eplaceable.html

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'll hesitantly agree with you regarding our Dline play. I personally didn't see all the DE's running into each other quite like you are saying, but I do find it disappointing that those guys seem to routinely play undisciplined when up against QBs that we KNOW you can't just run after them as fast as possible. You have to contain them first and go for the sack after. I thought we saw this way too much last year vs Lamar... not that we didn't get him on the ground a ton but more that we allowed him to break contain too much (IMO). IMO, this is more a discipline/coaching issue than anything else.

For the back-end, I think more time is needed to play better against the likes of KC. As I've said before, KC week1 was a tough draw. Over the next few weeks I think you'll see the D come together really well.

I agree. I am concerned that we have two alpha dogs who are too hungry for the sack...thought that about MG last year...and the play of the two of those guys was either poor coaching (scheme?) or poor discipline as you pointed out.

Those two will eat all day against the Texans and TieRod...but Woods better tighten that crap up before the next tough game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
How can we continuously trot Mack Wilson out there … 40?!

Malcolm Smith .. 29?!

Those are putrid

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
There was pressure on almost every play for Mahomes. Our guys were bringing it.

For those saying that Woods needs to make adjustments without even knowing what the DE's assignments were to begin with, other than "get sacks, omg!", just what adjustments are you clamoring for?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Mahommes juking out Wilson and walking the ball into the EZ was all I needed to see from Mack. Dude is all talk until the games are for real. For like the umpteenth time, the dude is finally (for real this time) turning the corner in the PS only to go out there and get smoked by a QB (Mahommes is elusive, but he's no Lamar).

Wu can't take his starter spot soon enough, IMO.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Round of prayers all around. His Will. Healing if possible, strength if not. Comfort regardless.

Wishing blessings for all of you. There are no little victories. Blessings in abundance. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
There was pressure on almost every play for Mahomes. Our guys were bringing it.

For those saying that Woods needs to make adjustments without even knowing what the DE's assignments were to begin with, other than "get sacks, omg!", just what adjustments are you clamoring for?

Its not enough to just get pressure on Mahommes. You have to get to him.

What adjustments? How about whatever adjustments led to the late game sack by Myles and Clowney? but just a little sooner? How about bringing a 5th guy a bit more often? I saw JOK blitz from the safety position which didn't really work.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You can’t blitz Mahomes from that depth … too easy to react. Gotta stack the line and make him guess who’s coming at him

E
Legend
Legend
E
I was thinking about why we didnt blitz much. Mahomes gets rid of the ball REALLY fast. So, if we blitzed it would be difficult to get to him and we would leave WR/TE open. That would backfire.

I hope we get more pressure against the Texans. Tyrod isnt as challenging. If we dont, I'll be wondering why.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

Play I noted in today’s pod. They knew upfield influence would happen & trusted Pat to slide/escape. #Browns had no clear plan for dealing w that. Blitzed JOK from depth (Can’t do that). Either contain 15 with condensing the pocket or spy him. 28 spying would be perfect here.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1437841799503093760

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Should have kept Sheldon Richardson. Our Dline gets a lot of pressures but I'd like to see what our pressure to sack ratio is and what it compares to other teams. To me it seems like our DEs only try to get by the OT on the outside using speed and leverage they very seldom seem to bull rush or use a swim move to go inside the OT and this allows the QB to step up in the pocket.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I re - watched the first half .. The KC OL did an amazing job handling our front four : Kudos to them !.. If Wilson see's the field again you will know just what kind of shape our LB core is in.

Example : Third and four and KC is on our side of the 50 .. Wood's decides he is going to blitz our safety #56 .. No disguise , he is right on the line .. The scheme has #4 Walker trying to cover Hill .. Woods has LB's running every where trying to decide who to cover. KC's Coaching staff worked him over , period .

P
Legend
Legend
P
Man blocking isn't "playing as a unit". That's zone blocking.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
lol, you can tell exactly when safety was like, "oh $&!#".

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Man blocking isn't "playing as a unit". That's zone blocking.

So you are saying that a man-blocking OL doesn't "play as a unit". Ok...we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Re-built OL with 3/5th ROOKIES got their job done...million $ DL did not get their job done. Woods was out-coached..his rope is getting shorter and shorter.

When game analyzers start pointing out what was obvious to armchair DCs on a message board...you might have a problem.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Chiefs 33 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard