Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Our Defense scares me. I wish that was a good thing.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Exactly which week should we expect to see some improvement.
Overused cliches does not excuse a bad defensive preformance.

idk? Maybe the week fans settle down and put out the fire on their hair?

Legend
Legend

He blocked a pass. He played special teams. I had two solo and 1.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

His nick name should be jitterbug.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Depit showed up.

Felton will be Landry’s replacement.

Wills played hurt.

The Browns were lucky that Taylor went out.

Baker had 10 yards/attempt. You will win a lot of games with 10 ypa. Anything over 8 is winning football.

Would prefer Felton to get snaps and play, but the bulk should go to Higgins because he ALWAYS shows up in games that he gets opportunities in...

Legend
Legend
Great shot of Felton

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Problem is I don't agree with much there. I don't think he's slow at all. I think we need better receiver play. Landry was hurt but he's not anything special. OBJ needs to come in and take over. He's not very big but he plays much bigger. Schwartz is fast, but it's not going to take many times giving up on a route causing interceptions before Baker gives up on him. We don't have a big bodied WR. We should be using Njoku a heck of a lot more. We aren't going to make it very far if we just run run run.

Post-injury today for Baker I thought he was masterful. He doesn't throw a bad pass and he's got a banged up shoulder. I don't think "just average" quarterbacks complete over 80% of their passes. I get being hard on Baker but he's a stud. He's going to be here a long long time.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

On that sack he LIT UP the QB. I thought for sure we were going to get a flag for hitting too hard.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Felton reminds me of Metcalf! Just doesn't quite have the top end speed. He's fun to watch though!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I figured we’d have some ugly wins and valiant losses, especially early in the season. I didn’t figure that would be exactly the story for the first 2 games. Defense has to find its footing. The talent is there.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was waiting for us to do our usual thing of making a no-name backup QB look like TB2.0. That didn't happen but it was still a little ugly. We let a rookie 3rd-rounder get his feet under him after a shaky start move the ball a bit. We have way too much talent to allow that to happen.

That said, Newsome is really impressive for a rookie corner. And good for Delpit, getting in there and making some noise finally had to feel good. No joke, I cringed when he hit the QB. That poor bastard had no idea he was coming.

I am glad we won, but the D I saw out there was concerning. That anyone is even suggesting the result would be different if TYROD TAYLER stayed in the game is horrifying.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c

If I'm the opposing team, I'm intentionally taking 2 TFL's on 1st & 2nd down.

Why?

Because CLE still can't stop any NFL team that is faced with 3rd & long.

#getoffthefield!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Haha its so true

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
You are spot on device.

A lot of being a qb is situational.
Baker was mature enough to realize in the second half:
1. He was hurt.
2. The running was rolling.
3. Short passing game was rolling.
4. We had no down field threat.
Instead of trying to be Superman, he efficiently guided the browns to victory.

It is hogwash that we have the best receivers in the league. Landry is a number 2 receiver in the league for all the good teams and he is not a downfield threat. Obj could be a number one but either has been injured or not played like it in 4 years. Next year we need to move on from both Landry and obj’s big salaries. We will miss the Landry’s character and team first attitude though. We need obj to become the star again to reach our goals this year, especially if the overhyped defensive ends underachieve all year. To early to tell on Schwartz, but he does not seem to have phyisicality to be a legit nfl deep threat star. He has already cost us a interceptions and killed a drive with a huge drop. Hope I’m wrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

As for being wrong on Baker he's just an average QB right now until he's not.

Sure. This is definitely average when your top 2 WR's are out of the game and hurt. Maybe if Baker can hit 90% completion rate and 15 yards per attempt he will be considered above average?

[/quote]

As for the game - I've tried to be patient with my assessment of Woods last season and this and vs KC.. I get that we had little talent last year and they are gelling this year, but man he has called some games i do not like one bit and alarm bells are going off. I'll take the W and hope they improve, otherwise this is going to be a struggle.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hope this does not limit his ability throughout the year or it gets reaggravated, if there was indeed a torn labrum.

Cleveland Brown quarterback Baker Mayfield left the game in the second quarter after suffering a left shoulder injury. By video, he subluxed his left shoulder while making a tackle after he threw an interception. He went to the locker room where he will get a left shoulder harness/brace. If this were his throwing shoulder he would be out for the game. Him returning to the game doesn't mean he won't need offseason labral repair surgery. Fellow quarterbacks Mitch Trubisky and Trevor Lawrence also underwent offseason surgeries on their non-throwing shoulders.

https://profootballdoc.com/#/

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I just have to say... Our depth is already being tested. That they ground it out and pulled out a win says a lot.

Honestly they should have won the game and should have done it in a more decisive manner. But this is still the NFL and there are no gimmies.

Any given sunday.

As long as they can keep winning and as long as they show the same toughness to grind out wins. THis team is going to eventually gel on the field too.

It takes time.

It's a long season

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I’m actually surprised by all the criticism of Garrett that I see on here. The dude was double teamed on every single pass play that I saw. To the Watt comparison, Pittsburgh helps him out with their scheme. Garrett was doubled, but did Takk or Clowney rise up to help him out in the pass rush? No.

Woods was basically sitting there like “good luck, Myles” until he had some sort of realization late in the fourth that “hey, since they’re so focused on Myles, maybe I should blitz the freaking rookie QB from the other side.” Lo and behold…sack fumble.

The scheming and the adjustments today were horrendous on defense. It looked like our guys were weak on responsibilities and assignments. We were soft everywhere. We didn’t adjust for a rookie QB. I was really disappointed in Woods.

By the way, if you are going to criticize Garrett, what about Ward? He had some rough series. That being said, why the hell was he playing so far off the WR. I thought TT was just going to skinny post us to death.

I am worried about Woods. I just don’t think the guy has it upstairs to match wits with some of the better offensive minds.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Can we talk about David Culley?

I have never seen a more clueless head coach on the day of the game. When he declined the penalty to punt I literally laughed out loud. The Texans could’ve had third and ten and he punted instead. The camera cut to Stefanski and he literally didn’t understand. They then punted the ball straight into the end zone.

At the end of the first half the Texans goal was to run out the clock except they gained a bunch of yards. They ran it again and didn’t use any timeouts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It was confusing.

During one of his players injury, I wish I could’ve heard what he was chewing out his players about.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask
It was confusing.

During one of his players injury, I wish I could’ve heard what he was chewing out his players about.

Think it was for getting into a scuffle while his teammate was hurt

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Going into the week I was pretty confident about this game. Then I listened to Jake Burns’ podcast with the Texans guy. He said that the Texans have the second oldest team in the league. That made my confidence recede a little. The Texans are not a team of a bunch of rookies like we were during the 1-31 stretch. They know how to play.

With that said, we need to be soooooooo much better on defense.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Woods is going to hold this Team back. His schemes, [lack of] adjustments and personnel leave a lot to be desired.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I cant really defend woods. Last season there was only one defensive coordinator who blitzed less times than woods. His defense is basically a glorified prevent defense. He has even said himself that his defense relies on the front 4 to apply most of the qb pressure. So its 4 on 5 at best for our d line. If they use tightends to chip or keep a back in to block its more

Last edited by slick; 09/20/21 12:44 AM.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
O
Legend
Legend
O
jc

First, I did not like the Woods hire, but I'm telling you the D takes more time. It is the same every season. Say by the end of game 5 or 6 we should see midseason form from this D. If it is still ugly then or costs us games, then Woods would have to go if it was my decision.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/20/21 12:49 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Watching the Texans as the game progressed gave me flashbacks to some of the previous Browns regimes. A whole bunch of questionable coaching moves, a defense that had to play above themselves, ridiculous spat of injuries, etc.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c

Post-game thought:

To any Browns fans who are too young to have seen Jim Brown play in the orange & brown, and want to know what that was like: watch Nick Chubb play in the orange & brown right now. This young man has the same combination of power, speed, vision and elusiveness that thrilled fans in the 60's. Defenders rarely get a clean hit on him. Those who do, pay a price for their bravery/dedication. Come 4th quarter, players just don't want to do their jobs against him any more. It's beautiful to watch. 4Q, 5:59: Texans stabbed in the heart. No end zone celebration.

All business.
All work.
All man.

CLE has always been at its best when the offense runs through an effective running game. Today, we saw an ugly, awkward-looking game in many respects. The kind of game Browns fans have seen for the past 2 decades. Difference: today, we saw CLE close out a game on an opponent that used to be closed out on CLE. Saddle up your big hoss, and ride him to 0:00. Baker takes the knee.

I am so thankful that we took a chance on this young man. When I watch him pound the rock, I'm 9 years old again... and the Browns can win every game they play.

Feed the Chubb.
(For that matter, keep Hunt well-fed, as well...)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Watching the Texans as the game progressed gave me flashbacks to some of the previous Browns regimes. A whole bunch of questionable coaching moves, a defense that had to play above themselves, ridiculous spat of injuries, etc.

It was eerie.
I could actually place myself in the shoes of HOU fans during this game. It looked sooooo familiar.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
My thoughts were: We are lucky Texans had to play their rookie QB 2nd half because Tyrod was very good.
Our D is still playing too soft at times, should have blitzed Mills more. Either we need to gel or Woods needs to scheme better...not impressed so far.
Mayfield, Chubb, Felton, Delpit all had good game..even Hooper had a few clutch catches. Wills tuffed it out playing hurt.

Legend
Legend

Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
Malcolm Smith, Mack Wilson, Sione Takitaki, and Elijah Lee with your t4
@PFF
grades defensively.

#Browns won a game by 10 where JJII (42.4), Denzel Ward (45.4), and Troy Hill (48.3) performed metrically poor.

Demetric Felton with a 98.7 grade in 3 offensive snaps LOL.

Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 09/20/21 08:35 AM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I love Teller

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Berry went out and payed Johnson an Hill ( who where at the top of their game ) to play in Cleveland .. They then grade out in the 40's ??? Someone in the Organization must realize they have at least a " situation " in Woods ..

Legend
Legend
I actually keep forgetting that HIll’s on the team

M
Legend
Legend
M
For now....I'm chalking up this defensive performance to needing more time to come together or they simply just had a bad day. That said, this defense played like absolute trash yesterday.

I though Ward played poorly. Wasn't all that impressed with JJ3. Almost zero pressure from the defensive line. Our linebackers sucked outside of Malcolm Smith.

There have been times where a good team with a good defense has allowed a very bad Cleveland Browns team to stay in a game until the end, so I'm not all that worried....it happens. I'm just hoping this does not become a trend and it was just a bad day for the defensive side of the ball.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
Our defense isn't very good.

I saw signs of what it could be.. I'm thinking that two games in isn't enough time to determine anything.

Miles said pretty much the same thing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Coach says it all...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 31 Texans 21 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard