Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Has any QB ever retired mid-season???

Probably but not sure if it was voluntarily.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It appears that he is going out in the style of Unitas and Namath.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Has any QB ever retired mid-season???

Probably but not sure if it was voluntarily.

In 1984 New Orleans QB Ken Stabler retired after week 3. He came into the week 3 game to replace the injured starting QB and played horribly.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
j/c

I'd guess that if the Steelers still look bad midway through the season and the rest of the AFCN continues on the current trajectory that Ben gets a relatively minor "injury" that will keep him out quietly the rest of the year and he'll end up retiring.

I get coming back to prove you still have it after the start they had last year...but Ben stuck around a year too long. Obv HOFer and really wish we would have drafted him way back in the day, but i'm soooo ready for him to be gone.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
T
Legend
Legend
T
Scenario is set. NFL could EASILY see one or two, 11 win teams in the AFC not able to qualify for the playoffs.
While the AFC South winner could get an automatic bid with only 9 or fewer wins.
This could be exacerbated depending on the health of Running Back Derek Henry.

Further highlighting a need for a change in the current rules, simply to require a division winner reach a certain winning percentage, or not be trailing all other wild card teams' winning percentages by an agreed upon amount in order to gain the automatic playoff berth.

Legend
Legend
Let’s look at the AFC … it’s brutal. The Ravens last two wins have been killers for us.

I see these 8 teams as true playoff contenders as of now:

Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs
Broncos
Ravens
Browns

The Ravens last two wins have been killers for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
So I saw the graphic after their game yesterday... Ravens scored exactly 1 TD in their win. The rest were FGs, and they needed their (very very good) kicker to break the record for longest FG to win it.

Ravens seem to be existing entirely on "LET'S DO THIS", but that can't sustain them the entire season. Eventually, their playmakers are going to have to make plays.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs
Broncos
Ravens
Browns

Did you have a Steelers fan count for you?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
OOBER,

I think you're right that the Ravens are winning simply on rallying behind Lamar. However, they have been decimated by injuries, and should start to get some guys back, so the current MO doesn't have to be sustainable. A loss yesterday, though NFC, would've really been nice. Oh well. We're gonna have fight to earn our playoff spot, and that's alright.

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs
Broncos
Ravens
Browns

Did you have a Steelers fan count for you?

HAHA i meant to add Titans and Bills .. i assume they are going to run away with their division

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
On the other hand I’m loving it.
I hope he goes out on a historically bad season. Not just for him but by all NFL history standards.
That said I hope they win at least 6 games so they’re out of the running for top QBs in the draft. I then hope they spend the next decade floundering at the position. Enough they long for the Kordell Stewart years.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
So I saw the graphic after their game yesterday... Ravens scored exactly 1 TD in their win. The rest were FGs, and they needed their (very very good) kicker to break the record for longest FG to win it.

Ravens seem to be existing entirely on "LET'S DO THIS", but that can't sustain them the entire season. Eventually, their playmakers are going to have to make plays.

They also have been getting a pass on procedure issues. A lot of flags that should be thrown are not. For example, on that winning FG, the snap was a couple of seconds after the play clock hit 0.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I counted ten. Injuries may prove to be the real opponent with this longer season. rolleyesdevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
I hear Lamar hasn’t practiced for two days because of his back. Hmmmm

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Besides hurting himself with a stupid TD stunt it is the simple process of a QB who becomes a RB on every down.

Lamar run ball.
Lamar get tackled very hard over and over again.
Sometime Lamar tackle himself.
= End of career.

Legend
Legend

I wonder if they would make a play for Watson?

Actually I thought they were going to go after Darnold.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Besides hurting himself with a stupid TD stunt it is the simple process of a QB who becomes a RB on every down.

Lamar run ball.
= End of career.

He doesn't take many big shots, that's why he hasn't been hurt so far. But eventually it is going to catch up with him. Defenses want to hit him, and you got to believe that if given the chance, they are going to hit him hard.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Lamar run ball.
= End of career.

He doesn't take many big shots, that's why he hasn't been hurt so far. But eventually it is going to catch up with him. Defenses want to hit him, and you got to believe that if given the chance, they are going to hit him hard.

You absolutely takes big shots and will continue to.

Here is 10 minutes worth...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you stand back and think for a moment and you run the Ravens front office..

Hold up sorry I had to make you throw up in you're own mouth but follow along.

You run the front office and you have to get Jackson under contract do you do it?

Here is what I think, I don't sign him for franchise QB money as a QB he just isn't that good if left with only the ability to throw the ball he stinks.

As a runner he is great but after 5 years of taking the pounding he is exposing himself too he just isn't going to have a normal QB shelf life.

I actually would try to trade him and I certainly would be developing someone to take over when he gets a serious injury and I think that clock is ticking so far so good for him but it's coming and the last thing I would want is a contract with millions in guaranteed money and no QB to show for it. He is a poor risk IMO I pass..

JMHO

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

That is a tough call.

I have mixed feelings about Lamar. He wins.

No, he is not a great passer. But he scares defenses. You have to look at his total numbers and contributions.

TD's, rushing numbers, passing numbers, wins.

Long term? No easy answer.

My guess is the Ravens go all in. They sign him to a big contract. They know him. They have won with him.
I believe they will still build around him.

Would I do it?

Quarterbacks are hard to find. He is a proven winner.

My question is can he win a Super Bowl? I don't know.

Will he get hurt? How long will he be effective?

Ravens have to figure that out.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's definitely a predicament. He runs a lot, but he doesn't take too many direct shots. Definitely takes more than a guy like Brady takes though.

He's one of those guys that will just run roughshod over teams during the season. The problem is when he makes it to the playoffs. Every year, they seem to have that one playoff game where they (he) just completely fall apart.

If they back up the Brinks truck for him, they won't be able to retain the same level of talented veterans they have elsewhere on the team, especially on defense.

It'll be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

That is a tough call.

I have mixed feelings about Lamar. He wins.

No, he is not a great passer. But he scares defenses. You have to look at his total numbers and contributions.

TD's, rushing numbers, passing numbers, wins.

Long term? No easy answer.

My guess is the Ravens go all in. They sign him to a big contract. They know him. They have won with him.
I believe they will still build around him.

Would I do it?

Quarterbacks are hard to find. He is a proven winner.

My question is can he win a Super Bowl? I don't know.

Will he get hurt? How long will he be effective?

Ravens have to figure that out.

I sure am glad he isn't working for us.

Every single point you make is valid, then there is the risk reward part and I simply don't see it with him.

They will be all in on a QB that is a hit away from serious injury. It's not like every other QB in the league isn't exposed to the same dangers they are but he is easily a very high risk investment.

When you talk about signing a QB to the dollars he is in for your talking about the kind of investment that can set your organization up for long term success or failure.

If he gets hurt and can't play you have so much invested in him his contract will keep you from looking in another direction.

I think when the smoke clears Baltimore will find themselves in the same spot they were with Flaco... Which makes me smile BTW.

Then assuming that at some point he has to rely on his ability to throw the ball, he stinks as a passer he just does. He seems to see the field but he can't accurately deliver the ball it's not in his DNA...

The thing I will say which is a bit off topic is the Browns are built to beat him and really any running QB, with the team speed we have he will find it difficult if not impossible to roll up the numbers he has in the past on us.

Will the pounding we put on the Ravens' cause them to think twice about Jackson's contract I sure hope NOT....

I truly believe we will hammer the Ravens when the time comes.

I see the race for the division coming down to Cleveland and the Bengals and they just aren't on the same level with us.

There is a changing of the guard taking place in the AFCN with us being the class of the division. I think I like it better that way?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
I don't think I would want to, but if you're their FO, how do you not? You'd be crucified and eviscerated if you don't, but you aren't going far if you do.
For better or for worse, they've hitched their wagon to Lamar.

Of course, they could play obtuse in negotiations and just be difficult; give the appearance of attempting to negotiate without actually being reasonable about it until he gets PO'd and decides to hit FA.
He'd make a killing on the FA market, but it would also mark the beginning of his Veteran Journeyman phase. Let's face it, he isn't one of those QB's that will be with their team for 12-15 year and ride off into the sunset still a member of that same team.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you can slice it and dice it any way you like. He started his first game in November of 2018. During that time the Ravens won the division twice and finished second in the division once making the playoffs all three years.

You sign him and he will make big bucks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

One thing that has not been brought in regards to Lamar.

The entire offensive scheme is built for him.

What happens if he misses games or a season?

Their backup quarterback is Tyler Huntley???

I don't think he has played a down in the NFL. I have never seen the guy play.

There are no two Lamar's.

So you are all in with Lamar. How do you run their offense without him? Well, you can hand it off. But nobody is going to run like Lamar.

I think that is a big problem. They don't have a "normal quarterback" with a regular type scheme.

If things go bad for them and Lamar. It could bury them for quite awhile.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

One thing that has not been brought in regards to Lamar.

The entire offensive scheme is built for him.

What happens if he misses games or a season?

Their backup quarterback is Tyler Huntley???

I don't think he has played a down in the NFL. I have never seen the guy play.

There are no two Lamar's.

So you are all in with Lamar. How do you run their offense without him? Well, you can hand it off. But nobody is going to run like Lamar.

I think that is a big problem. They don't have a "normal quarterback" with a regular type scheme.

If things go bad for them and Lamar. It could bury them for quite awhile.

You got it and that is my point.

I sure am glad we do NOT have this issue. In spite of the fact that Baltimore has done very well with him he is a high risk and I don't care how many times you get by with him eventually someone is going to square him up and lay the type of hit on him he won't get up from it's a risk I am glad we don't have.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

F
Legend
Legend
F
I think Baltimore knows what they have and are working that horse as much as they can until they have to return it.

I think they know his shelf life is short, and will probably franchise him 1 or 2 times and let him go.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I hope our defense can take him on. On paper it can, but I'm anxious to see how it translates to the field.

Obviously never want to see anyone get injured, but I'd just love to see a guy like JOK give him a good bell-ringing shot that he remembers. If there's anyone on our team that could do it, I think it would be him.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
I think Baltimore knows what they have and are working that horse as much as they can until they have to return it.

I think they know his shelf life is short, and will probably franchise him 1 or 2 times and let him go.

It's strange you mention franchise him cause that is how I would handle it. Might cost a few million more but when he goes down you simply pick up and move on.......

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

Lamar's mother is his agent.

I wonder how this will be handled.

If they franchise him it may sour things?

In addition salary money for him will eat lots of cap.

They don't have a developmental guy.

The Ravens have been a well run origanization. Seeing how they handle this river crossing will be interesting.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Most of this Lamar talk is delusional.

Dude has carried his team to wins since day 1. He needs to keep improving as a pocket passer to be a long term SB contender, but in the right here and right now, he's an elite player at the QB position. It doesn't matter that his threat to run is a large part of his passing success...it's a bottom line league.

As far as paying him, you cannot predict injury. We would've all paid Luck and look what happened. My biggest concern on paying him would be comparing the rate his passing is likely to improve to the rate his running is likely to degrade. That's it. And on that basis, I'd probably go beyond tagging him, but would like to keep the extension short. Maybe another 2-3 years. If he continues to be great, you pay more over time, but you are more protected than in a Mahomes-type deal.

Also, the backup Huntley a similar style player, not elite runner, but better thrower. They would do fine with him in short (<5 game) stretches.

Browns fans are born with it...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kind of along the lines you're talking about, this year will be great to see what Lamar is actually worth. Their Oline isn't looking too great right now, they're down a couple RBs and key pieces on D. IMO, those losses impact the real key strengths of that team, so if Lamar can put together at least a decent campaign under those conditions, it would be a far better argument for dropping the big bucks on him than past seasons where he beat up on teams when playing with a lead.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Hardly delusional.

He is a division opponent. His contract is up. The Ravens picked up his fifth year option which will cost them $23m next year.

Right now the 2019 MVP currently ranks 46th in average salary among quarterbacks. He earns less than dudes such as Nick Foles, Jacoby Brissett and Joe Flacco.

What happened to Cam Newton? He had a similar path.

A decision will have to be made. This season with all their injuries may not go well. He will be forced to play hero ball. With more carries comes more risk.

So next year he should play. This year depending on how it goes should give the Ravens more data to consider.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Hardly delusional.

He is a division opponent. His contract is up. The Ravens picked up his fifth year option which will cost them $23m next year.

Right now the 2019 MVP currently ranks 46th in average salary among quarterbacks. He earns less than dudes such as Nick Foles, Jacoby Brissett and Joe Flacco.

What happened to Cam Newton? He had a similar path.

A decision will have to be made. This season with all their injuries may not go well. He will be forced to play hero ball. With more carries comes more risk.

So next year he should play. This year depending on how it goes should give the Ravens more data to consider.

I saw the comment earlier Bone.

I think it's delusional to not consider the very real possibility that Jackson will at some point get hurt badly. Or to consider what losing someone you might invest heavily in only to never play because of injury.

Finally would you sign a RB to a five year 40 Million per year deal with 100 million guaranteed? I think Jackson's shelf life is going to be more similar to a RB then it will be a QB and if you run the Raven's you had better think this out real well or you could hamstring your organization for a long time.

When people have time to digest the entire contract situation with Jackson it's not all cut and dried IMO, even if I am delusional. rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I think Jackson's shelf life is going to be more similar to a RB then it will be a QB

I think this is pretty close. I think the numbers will be for a QB, but the timeframes they're willing to take that gamble will be akin to a RB.

So, like a QB on a per year average, but they won't be banking on him too much longer than a three year extension, even if the contract is a four or five year deal (extended out for CAP purposes)

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
That plays to the owners favor. I have felt that is part of the thinking.

It's a lot easier to have a QB like Lamar who can throw OK and really run the ball. The long term costs will go down and it is easier to stock a back-up or two who play a similar game so you don't have to change the game plan if the QB gets banged up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Let’s look at the AFC … it’s brutal. The Ravens last two wins have been killers for us.

Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs
Broncos
Ravens
Browns

The Ravens last two wins have been killers for us

If the Ravens and Browns get in: by rule, one of the AFC west teams would have to be kicked out.
(its not a rule! but it is an undeniable! because of divisional winners getting auto bids and only having 3 wild cards,) so. Which team do you see getting kicked out.
Browns?
Ravens?
or An AFC West Team, and which one? ...
(so basically one of those 6)

because an AFC South team, (titans, colts, jags, Texans)
and an AFC East team, (Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Jets) are both guaranteed an automatic bid to the winner of their division.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
If I had to guess, I’d say Denver is the most likely team to be left out

T
Legend
Legend
T
Until any team in the NFL shows they can stop that dumb quarterback in maryland. It may take 13-14 Wins for the Browns to win the division.
Even if they split with dumb purple team.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Hoping our D will help him retire early at Rats. We may well need some help from some other teams. But it should be the two of us for this division.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC North News and Notes 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard