Print Thread
#1887875 09/28/21 10:47 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Whew finally a blow out all be it against a good team with a rookie QB.

Baker was a little off in the beginning but most of those he simply was throwing the ball away.

When he needed it he threaded the needle for example OBJ's first
1st down on a 3rd and long early in the first qtr.

I can't believe our first two drives ended in a 4th and short situation and we went for it. I sort of can question the calls on 3rd down and then 4th assuming Ski had it in his mind he was going to use all 4 downs.

The first one the Bears got one first down and were in FG range to take the lead early on. The second a litlle deeper in our territory and 4th and 6 was surprised we didn't go for the FG. anyways we had their number and stopped them.

JOK this kid is one of the best draft picks we have made in a long time. since 1999 we have been tring to find that LB who will stud out JOK is finally that guy. He ws great at his position seeing gaps in the LOS and attacking the openings with positive results vs both Pass and Runs.
The kid can also cover as well.

Our other rookie starting #20 Newsome is the real deal as well. He was responsible for doubling both the Bears score 3 to 6 but also their yardage gained as he was guilty for a long ball PI on the right sidelines. His positioning was good he just had to turn his head and things would have been ok probably an INT

The Bears D was obvious as so were we - Chubb in at RB they played run D 6-9 defenders in the scheme. Hunt in at RB they played more nickel. As it turned out Chubb did pound them and wore them down but Hunt was amazing. He ran with reckless abandon and got 7+ yards on shear will power and effort as he just would not yield. Picking the slightest of openings and attacking them slashing for yardage.

OBJ had his first game back...keep those trickery Jet running plays for Schwarts or DPJ as we just got the young man back from his knee injury, lets keep him healthy.

For the most part OBJ ran good routes and played within himself showing us his amazing hands as he snagged a nice comeback throw...Baker had two nice ones: One to DPJ and the other to OBJ both successful.

Defense I know just one game and against a rookie QB. We have played and lost games against rookie QBS and well lets just say AWESOME IS AWESOME anyway you look at it.

Finally we had an attack scheme that I envisioned for this group. We dominated the LOS Play after play it was like our guys were thinking, "hey we are pretty good" and it was like an avalanche coming down on poor fields. Yada yada 4.3 speed 230 lbs an actual bigger version of Lamar...well this is good news - now we must sustain this positive play especially from our vaunted DL. Garrett seemed to have his lungs open up finally and he seemed to have gotten stronger with each play. CLowney, McDowell all 3 were attacking and destroying the Beaer offense - Again ONE GAME but this was the best I saw from a Browns D maybe like forever. Good job gentleman.

Ronnie Harrison showed some flashes last season but this game was by far his best ever played. I think he felt like he as at Alabama and playing a bottom ACC team.

Well I left a lot out there for what I saw some bad calls to recollect, a lot of great plays as we were not playing in snow or rain - it was a beautiful day...418 total yards for the Browns and only 47 for the Bears...yep you read it right Forty-seven total yards the best defensive effort I have seen from anyone...that was a D that wins championships!!! now improve on it wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker looked erratic at times... especially the beginning, but the Bears front was giving us fits all game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
That was as tough of a front as we'll face all year. I don't see any team giving us more fits than they did.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hicks can still play. That's for sure.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pay close attention to Bakers footwork you'll find the reason for some of the throws he made that had you scratching your head..

Still by and large he played well, but he sorta reverted at times to old habits I am sure the coaches are talking to him about it?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I saw that, too. He leaned heavily on his back foot on a few passes that sailed over their targets. I know that AVP is a big footwork guy, so I have to imagine it was/will be a point of emphasis this week.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Our ability to run the ball is paramount.

The Bear front is excellent. Ask Bitonio, Wills, and Blake.

The Bear defense was laying for Chubb. They were well prepared there.

However, Hunt's plays come from a different angle. Kevin was smart in adapting. He saw how things were and moved to Hunt.

That's the thing. No team other than the Browns can do that.

Odell had a good return. The back shoulder throw to him on the sideline was chemistry in action.

The throw and catch to DPJ made "the drive" happen and that drive was a masterpiece.

The touch throw to Hooper - sweet.

Baker showed game awareness. He saw what was going on with our defense.

He played conservative ball. Don't turn it over. No need for risky shots. Take the sack. Next play. Scramble for a first - slide. He played a mature game.

JOK is a difference maker. In coverage he is like a corner or safety. On like glue. Then go for the strip. Outstanding.

He is not a stack and shed linebacker. When the OL shifts and moves. He uses that against them. He cuts back and uses his explosive quickness to get to the spot. This young man is special.

Myles oh my. He jumps of the screen. A superior talent. Massive skill set. But Myles wants it all. He knows he is the best. But he still plays hungry.

The front four "get off" was something to see.

McDowell is a once in a blue find by Berry.

The Vikings are not Fields and Nagy. Cousins has 8 TD's 0 picks. Throwing a 74% completion rate. They lost two really tight games. They have a talented roster and are well coached.

Once again. I don't believe our run game can be stopped. But I am expecting a close game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me ask you this. If an opponent is ranked #24 against the pass and #5 against the run, do you still propose we rely on the run? Or do you try to expose your opponents weakness and rely on the pass to open up the run?

You see, I've always been a proponent of exploiting the weakness of your opponent. We have great weapons in both the run game and pass game to do either depending on who we are facing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Solid thinking for a solid attack. Sensible and logical. But there is also an old-school approach that wants to challenge the strongest guys on defense, the newer approach to run right at their toughest position player because they may well run you down from behind or pursue incredibly. Some of it was especially against "monster" defenses. Go after the monster and see if it is all the monster it is cracked up to be. It seems counterintuitive, but it is pure football. A team is only as strong as its weakest link, yawn, heard it. But what if you can shatter its strongest link? It follows that you should be able to do many more things to many more people in many ways.
Never underestimate opponents. But do not give them too much credit, especially unchallenged and unearned credit. Prove the monsters are indeed monsters. We didn't manage to win all up and down the line. But we did measure them and wear them down.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess one can choose to accomplish the same goal in the most difficult way possible or they can use an opponents biggest weakness to exploit them.

My example really had nothing to do with overestimating your opponents. What is described is taking the facts and statistics at hand (statistics based on actual NFL performances) to decide the easiest way to exploit their weaknesses.

I mean you can use a hand saw to cut down a tree but it's much easier to use a chain saw.

When you use analytics you try to look at the evidence at hand and exploit those numbers to reach your goal. Taking the hardest approach to accomplish your goal is not the intended purpose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hunt runs like each time he has the ball it will be for the last time.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The offensive game plan is all about matchups IMO.

If they have players in the secondary that are struggling. Sure you go after them.

In watching this Bears game. It was clear that they were loading gaps and cut back lanes.

When Hunt went in. The way we get him the ball and where is different.

Our offense is really hard to prepare for. We use blocking schemes, movement, and formations to disguise the plays. One play comes a certain way. They can run the same look alike play and do something else. Our pre-snap formations are not telegraphs.

Kevin is adamant about turnovers and rightly so. He is undeated when we do not turn it over.

His formula is get the lead. Lean to favorbable matchups to get there. Then wear them down with the run. You have to have the right talent. And, we do.

In the fourth quarter we still have fresh backs. For a defense that is hard to swallow.

I have read comments about Baker that IMO are incorrect. He is doing what he is coached to do.

If Baker was down two scores late and we have to pass. He can do that. If our offense was based upon the pass and we needed 300 yards and four TD's throwing it. Baker has that skill. But the game plan is built upon the strengths of the players.

I love what I am seeing from Stefanski.

So far he has not lost two games in a row. That proves something to me. This guy knows how to game plan.

I agree with you. Do attack weakness. However, you still play to what you do best.

Last edited by bonefish; 09/28/21 04:36 PM.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Baker and his footwork and accuracy go completely off the rails when under pressure. The Bears knew that and took advantage of it and it showed.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
Baker and his footwork and accuracy go completely off the rails when under pressure. The Bears knew that and took advantage of it and it showed.

That's interesting and hopefully something to improve on ... I'd be interested to see that same group of stats for other QB's. I imagine some are a lot better - I'd imagine a lot are equally affected. I think it's definitely an area where 6'1" comes into play and has an impact.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I'd be interested to see that same group of stats for other QB's. I imagine some are a lot better - I'd imagine a lot are equally affected.

thumbsup I was just going to ask that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Let me ask you this. If an opponent is ranked #24 against the pass and #5 against the run, do you still propose we rely on the run? Or do you try to expose your opponents weakness and rely on the pass to open up the run?

You see, I've always been a proponent of exploiting the weakness of your opponent. We have great weapons in both the run game and pass game to do either depending on who we are facing.

Placements don't tell the entire story IMO...

I remember a couple defenses who were godawful against the run.

But the pass defense looked good via placement...

But what was telling was...

what it really meant was that teams didn't need to throw on that Defense and didn't because they could control the clock and rn all up and down the field.

Legend
Legend

Some maybe a little better than others.

However, they pay big money for pass rushers and there is a reason.

I have seen great quarterbacks look bad under pressure.

The best quarterback today is Rodgers. He does things that others can not do.

Mahomes is great and younger. However, he gets away with some junk throws. Rodgers is more accurate. I am not looking at numbers.

Because once you hit a certain level. It is about the plays that can be made.

But when pressure is coming all numbers come down.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888

That's interesting and hopefully something to improve on ... I'd be interested to see that same group of stats for other QB's. I imagine some are a lot better - I'd imagine a lot are equally affected. I think it's definitely an area where 6'1" comes into play and has an impact.

One thing we need to take in to account with the completion percentage is there are number of passes just tossed away.

You don't have as many passes under pressure as you do without, so just chucking away 2-3 balls a game is a large part of the lower percentage. Even 1-2 can show a significant increase in percentage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Additionally, Baker started off bad and then kind of recovered. Those first couple drives of ours (4th downs and all) were kind of a cluster, and Baker looked erratic. His completion % after those first drives was real low, but he did bring it back over the rest of the game.

I think that adds a little context to the numbers.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Indeed, and I should have said decrease in completion percentage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

What is the timeframe of these stats? Is this the first 3 games of this season? Last year? His whole career?

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I agree with you. Do attack weakness. However, you still play to what you do best.

After reading your entire post you seemed to sell the fact we do both the run and the pass well and can adapt to either depending on the opponent and the game situation. Then at the end of your post you seem to indicate to do what we do best. I think we have so much talent in both the passing game and the running game there is no "best".

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

What is the timeframe of these stats? Is this the first 3 games of this season? Last year? His whole career?

The problem with info graphics is there is no point of comparison to other players.

But I suspect that Baker has done better than Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Fields.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Well if he wasn't outplaying a bunch of rookies who all went to pretty bad teams, then I would say that is a pretty big problem.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
they even put the word "analytics" in there without there being any analysis.

In a nutshell, much of these "advanced" stats are just as poor at painting a picture, and just as poorly used, as all the old standard stats.
No statistic, without context, ever tells anyone anything meaningful.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I saw Greg Olsen and thought: "He could be Sam Darnold's Dad. Very similar looking guys.

I saw Billings not get a snap.

I saw Baker & OBJ have some connection...not Higgins-like, but definitely there. OBJ's 1st, 1st down and the back-shoulder throw.

I saw the Bears selling out to stop Chubb, but have little answer for Hunt. Was Roquan Smith spying Chubb?

I saw a Browns D that smelled blood in the water.

I saw Baker start 9/16 and end 19/31. He did just what we needed...albeit with a couple quakers that are unusual for him. I think his shoulder hurts more than he's letting oh.

I saw a FG kicker who left me not a nervous wreck.

I saw way too many OLine penalties.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
they even put the word "analytics" in there without there being any analysis.

In a nutshell, much of these "advanced" stats are just as poor at painting a picture, and just as poorly used, as all the old standard stats.
No statistic, without context, ever tells anyone anything meaningful.

The stat that I would like to see, is Air Passing Yards. (Passing yards - Yards After Catch)

The QB dumps the ball off on a screen, the player runs 80 yards for a TD, well those are all passing yards and it looks like a bomb on the stat sheet.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure what you mean by "Higgins-like" but I have hardly even seen Higgins. So far for the season Higgins has had 4 receptions for 51 yards and no TD's. Baker and OBJ connected for better stats than that in one game.

But I'm certainly hoping based on that one game that Higgins starts looking more "OBJ-like".

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'm not sure what you mean by "Higgins-like" but I have hardly even seen Higgins. So far for the season Higgins has had 4 receptions for 51 yards and no TD's. Baker and OBJ connected for better stats than that in one game.

But I'm certainly hoping based on that one game that Higgins starts looking more "OBJ-like".

I'm just referencing the trust that Baker has in Higgins - not referencing production at this point.

Baker has made some great throws to DPJ as well that shows Baker has confidence in him as well.

Baker makes a lot of "anticipation" throws...oftentimes the Higgins targets are those type of throws. Getting "there" with a guy with OBJ's physical talents will be a great thing to see.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Higgins made some tough catches in the Bears game. His usage has been going up each week, IIRC (granted, tough for it to go down).

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Higgins has never been a huge production guy, but thinking back to last year.. it just seems like when we had a critical 3rd and 8 to sustain a drive, he got targeted a lot in those types of situations. He was definitely a quality over quantity WR and made quite a few clutch catches.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 What I saw Chicago Bears

Link Copied to Clipboard