Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
Thats called confirmation bias.

That's called progress. It just seems it will take some longer to figure it out than others.

Progress implies a progress. One data point is not a progression.

You are experiencing a thing called confirmation bias where you make a limited number of data points fit your model, and remove any (first two games) that don't.

Hopefully there is progress and we see a stout defense against a team that actually has a play caller that is completely inept.

I think Kitchens would have called a better game for the Bears yesterday, walking in off the street, after a nap, while eating taco.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Soooo, I see JOK was the highest rated LB in the NFL for week three. Nice.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
If you weren't a part of it then why say anything? Some of them have had the good sense to take my advise and shut up.........

I still think you're a no nothing too BTW..........hahaha thought that was funny and I did it da....................

People tend to get defensive when the name calling starts. Maybe you should have named names. Actually you shouldn't have been name calling.

I, like Frank have had reservations about this defense and that led to some questions about Woods. I don't see anything wrong with talking about it. Now I'm not calling for his job so I don't consider myself being a no nothing full. Was I happy with what I saw on Sunday? Absolutely! Do I still have worries? Yes. I will wait and see what kind of schemes we run the next few weeks to decide on how I feel about Woods.

I have no issue with a discussion about anything it was when the discussion went to firings and that this issue lies with Ski that set the hairs on the back of my neck on end.

When the talk turns to undoing the progress we have made I get testy, please excuse me. Then it and we fall back into the trap that held us captive for decades and you bet I will stand up to it every single time.

If there was ever an internal enemy of this team and its fans it was firings I hated them even though I thought some were justified I am so happy to leave that in the past and I certainly have no desire for it to ever return I prefer people retire after getting us a few Lombardi's.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
One thing we have to remember. I don't think much of our talk has any impact on the players or coaches and how they go about doing things.

Only idiots listen to idiots.

I am not calling any one of us idiots, or maybe I am calling all of us idiots because as fans we really don't have an objective view.

Just read gameday chat or listen to comments at the bar while watching the game. One minute this or that guy sucks and needs to be benched at minimum, if not just cut outright and told to start walking home.

A few minutes later, "I love that guy!"

In most cases it is just fickle fans. In some rarer cases they are trolls trying to agitate. Either way, don't worry about it.

It is what it is and always will be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The underlying message coming from the press last week was perhaps Woods should look for other work. Did they say fire no but the message was pretty clear then fans here started either outright saying it or hinting at it.

This is how it starts I have no stomach for it and we all have witnessed firings that have started in the fan base and in the media.. So it's pretty important from where I sit to stamp it out before it ever gets started.

Oh and don't tell Mac that the Browns don't read his posts or look for his approval for the scheme they run it will truly upset him.....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If you weren't a part of it then why say anything? Some of them have had the good sense to take my advise and shut up.........

I still think you're a no nothing too BTW..........hahaha thought that was funny and I did it da....................

Because you are (and have been) clearly responding to me. I've tried several times to make my point clear, but you seem hell-bent on this weird chest-beating "my team" shtick.

I think the larger point of why would I respond to someone that brings so little to the conversation is a valid one, but it gets on my nerves when someone comes in blowing small comments out of proportion, and then responds with insults when they don't even have a firm grasp on basic spelling and grammar. It's like red to a bull, I guess.

And I don't think a single person has read your comments and just "shut up". They might have been confused, but you're not the arbiter of what can and can't be posted on a public message board (God help us if you were).

Last edited by oobernoober; 09/28/21 09:04 AM. Reason: clarification and add

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Thats called confirmation bias.

That's called progress. It just seems it will take some longer to figure it out than others.

It is progress. IMO, the D did most (if not all) of the things I was bummed they didn't do vs the Texans. They harassed a rookie QB and clearly outplayed an obviously overmatched opponent. What's more, they carried the O until they got their feet under them. I think that last part is a significant step for the D (playing well and getting stops when the O isn't quite pulling their weight).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
he was really, really impressive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's fair. I'll admit that between the opening kickoff and the end of the game, I have flung to various extremes before calming down after the game is over.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hope it is progress and not an anomaly.

The next game will be telling.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I'll be very interested to see how the D shows up to this game. We have a QB in his 10th year and a very good run game. Stefanski should be able to impart some of his wisdom and experience regarding the Vikings onto Joe Woods (I guess you could say the same in reverse for Mike Zimmer).

There are a lot of elements for Woods to consider and I'll be curious to see what we implement come game time.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Zimmer know Ski, but he doesn't really know our personnel like Ski does.

Ski knows Zimmer AND their personnel.

Advantage: Ski

Their OLine isn't as bad as Chicago, but their LT and Center have pretty poor grades on PFF. They have Dalvin Cook, though, so our Run D will definitely get tested early and often.

IF we can handle the Run game, then taking away Justin Jefferson, Tyler Conklin, and Adam Thielen will be a bit easier. The thing is: we have the horses to get it done. It's just a matter of the guys suiting up and doing it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Earlier you mentioned data points. Well let's look at "actual data points". You are only looking at game results.

Was the secondary coverage tighter? Yes.

Was the blitz used more often? Yes.

Were pressures and sacks up? Yes.

These were the major data points you complained about previously. So stop pretending like it wasn't a vast improvement in different phases of the defense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
They did not suddenly "Gel" yesterday even though some posters will proclaim that they did. If one does need to "Gel", the difference isn't something that's noticeable between one week and the next...it's over a period of time.

Woods dialed up a different/better/more-aggressive D than he did in games 1-2...something the critics (like myself) had/have been clamoring-for. He "blitzed" at least 300% more than in week two. His backfield was much more aggressive. Both "changes" allowed the LBs to make plays for the first time since who-knows-when. The results were nothing short of terrific. Kudos to him...I hope he keeps it up.

I totally agree with your post with one exception. Who said they had "suddenly "Gel"..ed" yesterday?

Nobody I've seen. All I've seen said was that they showed improvement yesterday. A lot of improvement as you pointed out yourself.

I myself had stated they would have to learn to crawl before they could walk in this defense with so many new moving parts. That things would be added as time went on. Well yesterday they started taking their first steps.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wouldn't mind us digging deeper into what happened between the Texans game and the Bears game in terms of our secondary. Did the Texans have a faster, overall, WR corps that we were worried about (just spitballing a possible example)?

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
he was really, really impressive

I read somewhere that he had the highest one game rating of any LB since late in the 2019 season.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say it was a combination of things. When you face a QB the mold of a "Mahomes" who can avoid pressure and make something out of nothing you may tend to try and keep someone like Hill in front of you. Giving up the underneath stuff rather than take a big risk of being burned over the top.

I don't think you play every team the same way. You play verses their personnel. People can say what they like, but had we not gifted the ball to Mahomes three times in the fourth quarter we wouldn't have lost that game.

I haven't really looked that closely into the Texans game. But nothing about their QB and WR's gives me that same feeling. You do have to take into account that Tyrod scrambles a lot but I don't see that as impacting coverage.

I think we are just implementing more on defense as time goes on.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ive watched Minnesota quite a bit because I have Cook and Thielen. They are a very good offensive team, especially at home on turf. They can put up 30+ very easily. I expect a high scoring game Sunday.

Conklin has come on strong for them, which is another concern

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Earlier you mentioned data points. Well let's look at "actual data points". You are only looking at game results.

These were the major data points you complained about previously. So stop pretending like it wasn't a vast improvement in different phases of the defense.

If I hadn't been reading DT for a few years it would be shocking just how dishonest you are.

Throughout this thread you've given this excuse that the defense needs to 'gel' and that it'll take time. Your implication is that we'd be looking at several more games before this defense is where it ought to be.

Now you want to chastise a poster who recognizes the anomaly of a defensive performance and is only pointing out the next step is to start to show consistency.

Clearly no one could rightly expect such a performance every week, but if this past Sunday did anything for this thread was prove the point that posters such as myself and many others have been making: the defense this year under Woods has been underperforming what it is currently capable of.

EVERYTHING this defense did this weekend is what WE'VE been saying Woods needs to call and what YOU'VE been telling us is unrealistic to expect any time soon.

I get trying to play it safe against the Chiefs, but there is no reason even half of what we saw against the Bears wasn't brought against the Texans.

Woods called a great game this past weekend. I think everyone hopes he continues to do so.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Were you examples better because we played a Bears team without an OLine, no real receiving threat, no real running threat and a game plan that would have embarrassed any other play caller in the leauge?

Dude, your need t be right after one great game by our defense is ridiculous. They had 2 luke warm games where they couldn't get off the field. Now that they had a 9 sack game you act like they are the greatest defense in NFL history.

You can't "wait and see" after 2 games that don't meet your point of view then suddenly jump up and down after one game that does. You have a confirmation bias, you know they are the greatest so you see it.

I saw a team that showed improvement against inferior talent and a game plan out of the Bears that was made for getting their new QB killed.

Hopefully the destroy the Vikings too. That would then be a trend, what you have now is an anomaly.

But this will be the last time I respond to you. You need to be right, you need to show us how smart you are and you need to let everyone know you are wonderful. Enjoy beating your chest instead of having an adult conversation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It really has nothing to do with "how smart I am". It's more about how illogical your argument is. But i didn't expect you to get that part either.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It will be several more games before this defense is where it's supposed to be. I've already explained that. They just took a step forward.

But in your zest to throw out some rant I never expected you to actually follow the thread.

Your character assassination is something I expected from you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

People tend to get defensive when the name calling starts. Maybe you should have named names. Actually you shouldn't have been name calling.

I, like Frank have had reservations about this defense and that led to some questions about Woods. I don't see anything wrong with talking about it. Now I'm not calling for his job so I don't consider myself being a no nothing full. Was I happy with what I saw on Sunday? Absolutely! Do I still have worries? Yes. I will wait and see what kind of schemes we run the next few weeks to decide on how I feel about Woods.

I have no issue with a discussion about anything it was when the discussion went to firings and that this issue lies with Ski that set the hairs on the back of my neck on end.

When the talk turns to undoing the progress we have made I get testy, please excuse me. Then it and we fall back into the trap that held us captive for decades and you bet I will stand up to it every single time.

If there was ever an internal enemy of this team and its fans it was firings I hated them even though I thought some were justified I am so happy to leave that in the past and I certainly have no desire for it to ever return I prefer people retire after getting us a few Lombardi's.

I can understand getting upset. I read the game day thread (at least part of it) every week. That thread is so toxic with negativity and calling for heads. I assume you are talking about some of those people, not someone like Oober or Frank.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I specifically avoid the gameday threads. I'll read just about everything else, and I have never put anyone on ignore. The gameday threads are too much, though.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And to be fair - I from time to time get caught up in the hysteria of the moment. I'd hate to see how the board itself gets, so I avoid as well.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I didn't make a list so if they step forward and start defending it I assume they were one of the ones????

Like I said and will say I have no issue with discussions on any sort to[pic or issue, but firings set me off. This may sound strange but I sorta think we all should be upset with it.

The adults here understand what firings have meant to this team.... Lets hope non of us has a serious conversation on this topic any time soon ah?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" The adults here " ....

O
Legend
Legend
O
It's not that I don't understand where you're coming from. I do. IMO, the ridiculousness that has to go into a post where the conclusion is Woods (or anyone on this team, really) should be fired is just that. I just kinda take that as a commonly understood assumption. So from that common ground, your defending Woods and my criticism is kinda coming from the same place (in a way).

Similarly, I completely agree with you about the gameday threads. That's why I can't go in there at all (and I seem to have a pretty high tolerance for that).

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
For lack of a better place to put this:

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Did anything come from his recent off-the-field incident?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Apparently not, lol....

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The underlying message coming from the press last week was perhaps Woods should look for other work. Did they say fire no but the message was pretty clear then fans here started either outright saying it or hinting at it.

This is how it starts I have no stomach for it and we all have witnessed firings that have started in the fan base and in the media.. So it's pretty important from where I sit to stamp it out before it ever gets started.

Oh and don't tell Mac that the Browns don't read his posts or look for his approval for the scheme they run it will truly upset him.....

bttb...you seem to be accusing some of "somthing" that you manufactured within your own little world.

Just whom is it your accusing of calling for Woods to be fired? In this thread, which DT member are you accusing?
In this thread, just who said they wanted Woods to be fired?

As for who might be reading the DT message board... since the DT message board is free (open to read forum), "ANYONE" can read the board or anyone can "do a search" on a subject of interest and they might very well be reading a thread that was first posted on the DT message board!

The reality is, we might be surprised at whom reads this message board...DT has been around a long time.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You weren't suppose to read this... rofl

I am sure the Browns don't make a move without reading your posts and getting your stamp of approval, wink wink.......... rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I am sure the Browns don't make a move without reading your posts and getting your stamp of approval, wink wink.......... rofl

b2b...running your mouth, suggesting and accusing others of something "you manufactured" from within your head...

...YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO BE CALLED OUT !

Doing your best "RUN FOREST, RUN" impersonation, understand that Woods needed to make some changes to the defense..and he did exactly that.

Looking ahead to the Vikings, don't expect another defensive performance like the Browns had against the Bears. The Vikings are a much better team than the Bears and Woods will need to continue to make defensive changes in the way he attacks the Vikings offense.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac

b2b...running your mouth, suggesting and accusing others of something "you manufactured" from within your head...

...YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO BE CALLED OUT !

Doing your best "RUN FOREST, RUN" impersonation, understand that Woods needed to make some changes to the defense..and he did exactly that.

Looking ahead to the Vikings, don't expect another defensive performance like the Browns had against the Bears. The Vikings are a much better team than the Bears and Woods will need to continue to make defensive changes in the way he attacks the Vikings offense.

rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the fallacy is the conclusion that you play the defense the same way no matter your opponent rather than adjust the defense according to your opponents strengths and weaknesses. The "one size fits all" is no longer an approach good coaches use in the NFL.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the fallacy is the conclusion that you play the defense the same way no matter your opponent rather than adjust the defense according to your opponents strengths and weaknesses. The "one size fits all" is no longer an approach good coaches use in the NFL.

You can't say things like that to Mac he is a special advisor to the Browns and of course all of us................... rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
Everybody throws their opinions around on here. Some thought the defense would be a finished product from week 1. But I won't mention any names. wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
last game, regardless of who we played, is a huge confidence booster for our defense.

nobody is expecting a 9 sack game every week. but 2-4 sack game is definitely doable, and QB hits are often just as valuable as sacks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Pit...I have no idea what you are suggesting when it comes to the claim that "someone" involved in this conversation believes in a defensive philosophy that "one size fits all".

I have attempted to point out the need for Woods to vary the Browns defense and to stop playing a soft zone that looks like some sort of prevent pass coverage by our CBs.

Both Mahonnes and Tyrod Taylor took advantage of the soft defensive coverage of our CBs. Anyone who reviewed the video could clearly see that there was a need to change up the coverage so that our CBs didn't continue to get burned.

Any defense that becomes predictable in their coverage is asking to be exploited and abused by our opponents QBs and OCs. The Browns clearly have the talent to mix in an attacking defensive style of pass coverage to keep our opponents guessing.

Varying the defense and utilizing the defensive talent on the Browns roster is what I've been asking for. Let's hope it continues.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DEFENSE still wins championships...

Link Copied to Clipboard