Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Love him or hate him, he's definitely on of the greats in Cleveland media history... RIP, Mr Know-It-All.

Mike Trivisonno, longtime Cleveland radio talk show host, passes away at age 74
"Triv" was a fixture on WTAM 1100 for more than 25 years.

Credit: Twitter/The Triv Show
Author: Dave "Dino" DeNatale
Published: 4:08 PM EDT October 28, 2021
Updated: 4:34 PM EDT October 28, 2021
CLEVELAND — He was called “Mr. Know It All" and "The Voice of Cleveland." Others just referred to him as “Triv.”

But if you’ve listened to Cleveland radio for any amount of time, you knew the name of Mike Trivisonno. The longtime afternoon host on Newsradio WTAM 1100 passed away on Thursday at the age of 74.

Trivisonno's passing was confirmed on WTAM 1100 by station program director Ray Davis on Thursday.

Trivisonno began his radio career not as a host, but as a frequent caller on Pete Franklin’s Sportsline show on WTAM (the station was known as WWWE at the time). It was Franklin who dubbed him as "Mr. Know It All." By 1987, Trivisonno was given his shot on the airwaves on WNCX 98.5 FM as a contributor, then later as a full-time host.

He became the host of Sportsline on WWWE in 1994. At that time, the show aired from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. In 1996, his show was moved to afternoon drive, where it remained for the next 25 years. Sportsline evolved into simply “The Mike Trivisonno Show,” and Triv evolved into more than just a sports talk host. As the years progressed, he began tackling politics, civic issues, and current events, in addition to sports.

During his career at WTAM, Trivisonno was voted “Best Talk Show Host” by Scene Magazine and The Achievement in Radio Awards. The Cleveland Plain Dealer named him the “Voice of Cleveland,” Cleveland Magazine named him “One of Cleveland’s Fifty Most Interesting People,” and he was a 2003 NAB Marconi finalist for “Personality of the Year.”

Trivisonno was also passionate about supporting for local charities. He raised over $5 million dollars during his career, including Coats for Kids, whom he hosted his annual “Vegas Show Benefit” in support of.

Trivisonno was born in East Cleveland and attended Mayfield High School. He is survived by his wife Tami and three children.

"Although “The Voice of Cleveland” has been silenced, his impact on Cleveland will be felt and heard for years to come. All of us here at WTAM send our love and support to his family during this difficult time. We will bring you more details as we receive them, including information on memorials," WTAM wrote it its tribute to Trivisonno on social media.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l.../95-160ce3af-ee53-4816-818d-c9a093727043

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
D
Legend
Legend
D
I met Mike in Winter Haven, Fl on one of our trips to Indians' spring training about 20 years ago. He was outside with the other lepers (smokers) and I was out there with him. My wife, Debbie always introduced herself to celebs when she saw them, and so we struck up a conversation with Mike and his producer at the time, Mark Schwab. I was struck by how shy and soft spoken he was, in contrast to his on-air brash and opinionated persona. His show wasn't really my cup of tea, but I liked him. Rest in peace, Mr Know-It-All.

Legend
Legend
Hearing about his passing is sad.

I have not lived in Cleveland since high school. I went to Mayfield High.

In fact I was in the same grade as Mick which is what he was called then. We were friends to a degree.

Not close but for sure we knew each other. In fact in 11th grade we got in a fight in study hall and we were both expelled.

It did not go well for him. However, after the fight since we were both thrown out of school. We went up to the Coliseum which was a indoor sports complex with bowling alley's, a pool room, a swimming pool, dance hall, and a miniature golf course.

His one eye was completely closed. We sat down and talked and we left it behind.

I never knew about his radio career until my brother told me. My brother still lives in Cleveland.

My brother is seven years younger and did not know about that fight. He went to a card game about ten years ago and Mick was there. He was introduced to my brother. When he heard the last name. He asked if he was my brother. The story came out and Mick said I sucker punched him.
My brother said I was not a person who would do that.

That is not what happened. The truth is we were in a hall outside of the lunch cafeteria. He was with a group sitting at a table. I was at another table with a group. Somehow we looked at each other. He said "what the **** you looking at?" I answered "what?" He responded
with a **** you and your mother."

He dove towards me and ran into a straight left into his eye. He went down. And not to much more happened besides a few more punches. We were sixteen.

That kind of thing was somewhat common. It was surprising that after all that time. He came up with the sucker punch lie.
It of course does not matter. We were teens.

My brother texted me of his passing. I am sorry for his family and sad for his passing.

D
Legend
Legend
D
‘He won’t be forgotten’ - Mike Trivisonno remembered as influential Cleveland radio talk-show host

Oct. 28, 2021

By Marc Bona, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Longtime talk-show host Mike Trivisonno was remembered warmly as an influential colleague, great friend, wise guy and charitable donor Thursday afternoon after news of his death was reported.

Trivisonno was 74.

Radio and sports personalities on WTAM broke up while offering memories about their colleague, who wouldn’t pass up a poker game and supported many charities, including Coats for Kids.

“He could talk to anyone,” said morning host Bill Wills, who with Trivisonno formed a dual daily radio presence – Wills anchoring morning talk and Trivisonno patrolling the afternoons. “He could be a curmudgeon – ‘get off my lawn!’ He hated paying taxes; I can hear him now. But he was one of the kindest souls. If a guy needed a buck, he was there.”

Throughout his career, the station reported Trivisonno raised more than $5 million for local charities.

Born on the east side of Cleveland, Trivisonno was a caller before going into radio. He started his radio career in 1986. Early on, he covered sports but eventually moved into politics and other news topics. He was known for his outspoken and often conservative stances on issues.

“I’m a dumb dago from the east side of Cleveland with a 10th-grade education,” he was fond of saying.

“He was the smartest 10th-grade dropout I ever met,” said Cleveland city councilman Mike Polensek, who also was interviewed on the air. Polensek is a Democrat, Trivisonno was a Republican, and the two remained friends.

“He won’t be forgotten,” Polensek said.

In an interview, longtime sports radio host Greg Brinda recalled meeting Trivisonno years ago. At the time, Brinda was sports director at WERE, and sister station WNCX was seeking a morning sports guy.

“They didn’t want a sportscaster; they wanted a fan to talk about sports,” Brinda said. “And they said, ‘Do you know of anybody?’ I said, ‘Yeah, Mr. Know It All – this Mike Trivisonno guy has been calling talk shows, first with Pete Franklin and then he’s been calling me. He’s been doing this a long time. I think he’s the ultimate fan.’ … We got in touch with him and hired him.”

A cause of death was not given. Trivisonno did a show Wednesday, Brinda said, and he seemed OK.

“As a broadcaster he understood an audience and fostered it to the point where it became very large and loyal,” Brinda said. “That’s not easy to do in radio.” He added in the last 15 to 20 years Trivisonno had transitioned out of sports talk almost completely, save for the occasional Monday-morning chatter about the Cleveland Browns.

“I’m just proud to have him as a friend,” former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar said on the air, calling today “tragic.”

“You could trust him, and equally important you knew where you stood with him,” Kosar said.

Tom Hamilton, who calls Indians games on WTAM, said Trivisonno was “a guy to go in a foxhole with, that’s for sure.”

Gov. Mike DeWine even Twitted: “Fran and I are very saddened to heart of the death of Mike Trivisonno. Triv was one of a kind – a man who would ask tough questions but who also had a big heart.”

“I think his body wasn’t big enough to hold the heart that he had,” said John Adams on air, noting the void that will be left. The Indians fan known for his bleacher drumming at games added: “Who can take the place of Mike Trivisonno?”

In addition to supporting numerous charities, he owned Trivs, a restaurant in Strongsville. And he was passionate about radio. He would ask questions and swap opinions with anyone – politicians, sports-team executives, fellow radio personalities or Joe and Jane Six-Pack.

He also made news occasionally. Previously a heavy smoker, Trivisonno filed a class-action lawsuit against the tobacco industry in 2001 trying to outlaw tobacco sales in the United States; the suit subsequently was dismissed. In 2012, Trivisonno made a critical comment about sharing the road with cyclists. The comment led to a letter of protest to Clear Channel Media, and the company offered free airtime and discounted billboards promoting bike safety.

In recent years, Trivisonno rang out a mantra with his incredulous acknowledgment of “living in a world I don’t understand.”

Fellow hosts said on-air Thursday he would ad-lib many of his commercial spots, a challenging thing to do live and rife for missteps. But Trivisonno could pull it off, they said.

He was a huge listener of radio, Wills said, and knew the simple secrets to success in the industry: He worked hard, and he was himself.

“People would ask, ‘What’s he like?’ ‘That’s him!’… he’s an incredible story, an incredible man,” said “stunned” colleague Mike Snyder on the air.

That be-yourself persona translated to ratings.

“Pure and simple, ratings and sponsors equal success, and he had both of them,” Brinda said.

“The microphone was his joy,” WTAM program director Ray Davis said on air. “It really was his thing that he loved to do more than anything because he could give his opinion and put on a show.”

Snyder added: “This is a great radio town. … Whatever the Mount Rushmore is in radio in the city of Cleveland, Mike Trivisonno is right there on the forefront.”

Trivisonno’s first wife, Linda, died of cancer in 2009. He remarried and leaves his wife, Tammy, and children Michael, Michelle, Anthony and stepson Colin.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertain...tial-cleveland-radio-talk-show-host.html

Legend
Legend
After all these years it is interesting to read about the mark he left in the radio world of Cleveland.

We used to see each other here and there after that incident (I guess it was 10th grade). And we got along.

After high school I went to junior college in California. Later came back and graduated from Kent.

Then moved away never to return other than to visit family and friends.

It is nice to hear that he accomplished so much. He was for sure an all Cleveland guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Triv was a big CLE radio personality. Iconic.

I was not a regular listener by any means, but tuned in to hear Triv piss and moan every now and again. It's been years since I listened.

He was better when he covered sports, but much of that was lost when WTAM lost their broadcast rights to the Browns and he turned to politics. It was a natural progression to prolong his career.

A memorable moment was in 2013 when Mike Lombardi was making the radio rounds (after being hire by the Browns) and Lombardi called into the Trivisonno Show and Triv said right off the bat, "Let's be real clear, I don't like you." Followed by an awkward chuckle by Lombardi, to which, Triv replied, "No seriously, I do not like you after what you did to Bernie."

Legend
Legend
RIP TRIV

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Mike Lombardi was making the radio rounds (after being hire by the Browns) and Lombardi called into the Trivisonno Show and Triv said right off the bat, "Let's be real clear, I don't like you." Followed by an awkward chuckle by Lombardi, to which, Triv replied, "No seriously, I do not like you after what you did to Bernie."
That's what made people love him -- bold and audacious. You never had to wonder if Mike was being real. He was 100% real and 100% raw.

Over the years, and as the sports talk was replaced with politics, he became less of a "must hear", but it was still almost a religion to tune in once in a while. And there was never any doubt that he had total command of the room and the audience. Even his silly idiosyncrasies still would give you a chuckle one hundred times over. "You're not on the air, you're in the air!" He will be missed.

How 'bout the long tradition of incredible sports media personalities in this town though? We've been blessed, and it's played a large part in the passion of this fan base.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its been a rough year in Cleveland radio circles. Long timers like Les Levine, Joe Tait, Michael Stanley, and now Triv, all gone. Its sad.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Triv was able to find a medium that connected to alot NE Ohioians.
But there many sides to Trivisonno.
His dad was well connected to the Cleveland Mob. Mike was able to take
Those connections and they served him to suit his purpose
His son at one time had a nice lucrative bookmaking business which was
Parlayed into Trivs in Strongsville.
Triv made people think. Thats not easy to do.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Man spewed brain poison
Amazing giving to kids
Complicated dude

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As a kid I could pick up WWWE on my AM radio at night.

Loved Pete and was a constant listener. His battles with Triv were must hear radio. Sadly those days are over.

All we have now is that fat Adam the Lib and Dustin No Brains Fox.

RIP Mike

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Mike Trivisonno passes at 74

Link Copied to Clipboard