OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
We gotta get that guy !

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The poster child for draft eligible players sitting out bowl games.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I've read that he has fallen out of favor in Quinn's defense.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jaylon Smith released: 4 ideal destinations for Pro Bowl linebacker

The Dallas Cowboys shocked the NFL world Tuesday evening by releasing Pro Bowl linebacker Jaylon Smith roughly 26 months after they signed him to a massive contract extension.

A second-round pick of the Cowboys back in 2016, the 26-year-old Smith overcame a devastating lower-body injury in his final collegiate season with Notre Dame to morph into a stud linebacker.

From 2018-20, Smith started all 48 games for the Cowboys. That span saw him record a combined 254 tackles, 18 passes defended, eight sacks, four forced fumbles and two interceptions. He earned Pro Bowl honors in Big D back in 2019.

Despite some regression when it comes to coverage, Smith is still relatively young and provides a ton of upside for teams in need of linebacker help. Below, we look at four ideal destinations.

Kansas City Chiefs land Jaylon Smith

To say that Kansas City has struggled on the defensive side of the ball through the first four games of the season would be an understatement. The team is giving up an eye-opening 31.3 points per game. It has also allowed opposing tight ends to record a league-high 348 yards.

Related: Ranking NFL defenses heading into Week 5

Smith wouldn’t be an immediate fix in defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo’s system. But he would help big time. At the very least, he could be an upgrade over rookie second-round pick Nick Bolton, who has been a part of their struggles this season.

Jaylon Smith signs with the Atlanta Falcons
Those interested in Smith wouldn’t simply be limited to contending teams. As noted above, he still offers a tremendous amount of untapped potential. Perhaps, the backer just wasn’t a fit in defensive coordinator Dan Quinn’s system.

Either way, he’d make a ton of sense for Atlanta. The Falcons have yielded 11 passing touchdowns against zero interceptions on the season. Foyesade Oluokun and Brandon Copeland simply are not working out next to fellow former Pro Bowl linebacker Deion Jones. This makes too much sense.

Washington Football Team nets Jaylon Smith
We’ve seen this story repeated over and over again. A big-name player is surprisingly released by a team, only to sign with a division rival. While we don’t know the backstory to Smith’s release in Big D, we do know he’d be an upgrade in the nation’s capital.

Related: NFL Week 5 power rankings

Washington’s defense has been among the most-disappointing units through the first four weeks of the season. Many expected it to be the best in the league. But Ron Rivera’s squad is giving up 30.5 points per game. Rookie first-round pick Jamin Davis has struggled. Cole Holcomb doesn’t seem to be much more than a replacement-level player. Perhaps, Smith takes a chance that Rivera could turn around his career. After all, the head coach has had success with fellow linebackers Thomas Davis and Shaq Thompson in the past.

Jaylon Smith returns to native Indiana

A native of Fort Wayne and product of Notre Dame, there’s a chance that Smith opts to return to his home state as a way to resurrect his now-fledgling career. A homecoming of sorts for the remainder of the season to see if he can up his value as a free agent next March.

It’s not like the Indianapolis Colts are set at linebacker next to Darius Leonard, either. They rank in the middle of the pack in scoring defense and have yielded an absurd 82% catch rate to tight ends. Smith would help solve that for a team that’s desperate following a 1-3 start to the campaign.

https://sportsnaut.com/jaylon-smith-free-agent-destinations/

I have to think AB is at least taking a look, the talent is there.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have released linebacker Jaylon Smith, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The move comes as a surprise because Smith has not missed a game in his career and the Cowboys are on the hook for his full $7.2 million base salary. The team had some trade discussions earlier in the season, according to sources, but a deal never came to fruition. By releasing Smith now, the Cowboys are free from the $9.2 million base salary in 2022 that was currently guaranteed only for injury.

Team owner and general manager Jerry Jones met with Smith on Tuesday to discuss the team's decision, according to a source.

Smith signed a five-year, $64 million extension in 2019 that included $35.5 million in guaranteed money. Before this season's opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Smith started every game he played from 2018 to 2020 and was named to the Pro Bowl after the 2019 season.

This season, Smith did not start any of the first four games. He was credited with 19 tackles and played in 148 of 264 snaps.

With first-round pick Micah Parsons making a huge impression early, the Cowboys were comfortable with the move, even with the financial ramifications. Leighton Vander Esch started Sunday's win against the Carolina Panthers, and the Cowboys are expected to have Keanu Neal back from the reserve/COVID-19 list this week. They also have rookie Jabril Cox and Luke Gifford at linebacker on the active roster.

The Cowboys selected Smith in the second round of the 2016 draft despite a serious knee injury suffered in his final game at Notre Dame that scared off many teams. The Cowboys were confident Smith would return in part because one of their team physicians, Dr. Daniel Cooper, performed the surgery and quelled fears about permanent nerve issues.

Smith took to the field in 2017 and started six of 16 games and finished with 99 tackles, one sack, four tackles for loss, four quarterback pressures, two pass breakups and two forced fumbles. He moved into a full-time starting role in 2018, and he recorded at least 120 tackles in each of the past three seasons.

He had his best year in 2018, which included a 69-yard fumble return for a touchdown. He recorded 14 tackles in six different games, but his movement and coverage ability seemed to drop.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3234...th?platform=amp

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My question is he a true free agent, or subject to a waiver claim?

If he is a free agent I would be interested in him. I watch a lot of Dallas games and I like him.

I have a good friend that is a Dallas fan.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I think his contract seems to be a detrimental issue?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think his contract seems to be a detrimental issue?

If he is released, the contract is void.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Stephon Gilmore just released … WOW

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1st String
1st String
Take him. Make it happen Berry!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I would bet not.

Malcom Smith is grading out higher this year, and we just got Anthony Walker back.

Hopefully, he lands somewhere else in the NFC.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Usually when Albright suggests a team or teams interested in a player, it's backed up with some level of knowledge. I'm not saying the Browns will sign him or even Cleveland is a front runner, but this guy doesn't blindly through darts w/o some insight to a situation.

We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
my guess is that he just looked at how much Cap space we have and that we're a contender. I don't think he considered that Jaylon Smith wouldn't likely actually upgrade us.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Stephon Gilmore just released … WOW

He was traded to Panthers

1st String
1st String
Report: Jaylon Smith finalizing deal with Packers
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2197568

The Green Bay Packers are finalizing an agreement with linebacker Jaylon Smith after the Dallas Cowboys shockingly released him, a source told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The two sides are expected to complete a deal Thursday morning, according to Rapoport.

Dallas severed ties with Smith on Tuesday despite owing him the remainder of his $7.2-million salary minus offsets. The Cowboys attempted to trade him before the release.

Smith made the Pro Bowl in 2019 but has declined since then. He lost playing time this season after Dallas signed Keanu Neal in free agency and drafted Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox to reinforce its linebacker corps.

Smith, 26, has tallied over 100 tackles over the last three seasons and has 18 tackles in four games in 2021. He'll reportedly join a Packers defense that has surrendered the sixth-fewest yards in the NFL this season but lacks speed at the linebacker position.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's happening....they're making room for OBJ! tongue

Legend
Legend
can he play right tackle?

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
O
Legend
Legend
O
never mind.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/02/21 09:14 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Lol. Double never mind...

Last edited by FATE; 11/02/21 09:18 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
the more I’ve watched clips the more I’ve realized our safeties have really underperformed. Harrison and Delpit aren’t good right now

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jaylon Smith Released

Link Copied to Clipboard