Next Thread
Print Thread
#1901532 11/09/21 09:52 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
It will be interesting to see what Belichick cooks up to try to stop our O.
So much is unknown right now with the COVID issue, but even if Chubb is out D’Ernest is still capable of pounding it along the ground.

We might need to see Baker open it up a little more this week, but our identity is still smashmouth. The Steelers did a good job negating our run game, but even if it isn’t working early, keep hammering it.

On D, they don’t have much of a run game, and if we stop that early, we can pressure their QB into mistakes, especially if we continue to play good press/man. He ain’t no Tom Brady is what I’m sayin’.

Intangible: we won a game vs. Cinci when we played with our backs to the wall, to (sort of) quote our coach, and we need to keep playing desperation football.

What are you peeps thinking?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I believe they have a pretty good run game. However, two of their backs are in concussion protocol and their status for Sunday is up in the air.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I just saw they’re 19th-ranked as a rushing team

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Pdawg
I believe they have a pretty good run game. However, two of their backs are in concussion protocol and their status for Sunday is up in the air.

They have about the same chance we do. Haven't seen any RBs in the protocol get out the same week for I can't remember how long. And they have two.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Belichick's claim to fame has always been taking away the one thing you want to do and forcing you to do something else. Lots of coaches try to do it but he's really good at it. So what will he focus on taking away? As much as I do have confidence in D Johnson, he's not Nick Chubb. So does Belichick still focus on our run game with no Chubb/no Hunt? My guess is that right now he's focusing on how to limit our TEs.. so this game might come down to D Johnson running well and Baker going deep more often.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree - TE's are going to be important, as is a Baker roll out. But Johnson did enough in his chance to shine to merit the running game being the priority, our OL is built to run.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
It will be interesting to see what Belichick cooks up to try to stop our O.

Apparently he was in a Wuhan lab a couple of years ago cooking up a plan to stop Chubb this weekend.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: AZBrown
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's a good question. One thing I've always thought in the back of my mind when it came to the Patriots was that they never seemed great at stopping the run. They didn't have to worry too much about it historically because they had Tom Brady and could force other teams to abandon it often.

If you remember our last game against them in 2019, we lost because we beat ourselves, and Chubb fumbled uncharacteristically often. However, a couple of those fumbles came at the end of very, very long runs. Regardless of who's back there, I'd really like to see us come out and punch them in the mouth with our run game.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Defensively, I think the gameplan would be similar to the one we had against Chicago. Lets see how the rookie can handle intense pressure. If it doesn't work, then adjust. As much as I've complained about Woods this year, he's made some good halftime adjustments. I feel confident in our CBs ability to cover well, which counters (to a point) Jones' strength - his accuracy. If he has smaller windows to throw into and he's getting pressured he makes mistakes. I expect a lot of short passes with 3 step drops from Jones. I'm not overly concerned with their run game, but have enough talent to hurt us.

Offensively - well the Pats are second best in the league with respect to passer rating and middle of the league in rushing. I think they focus on stopping D'Ernest and put the game onto Baker's shoulders to beat them. Play action and our TEs will likely be important early. I also think we need to go deep early so they don't stack the box. I do expect Jarvis to have a big game in number of catches. I'd expect we'll see some end arounds and jet sweeps as well if they're keeping D'Ernest in check.

It'll be an interesting game.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This game is on Baker and KS and I think they will be up for it and take care of business

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
This game is on Baker and KS and I think they will be up for it and take care of business

I'm actually starting to think all of our game plans begin with our defense and the O can then feed off of it.
Shut them down, then score.
Get it to where they're not the ones dictating the pace of the game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Woods for the first time really made the blitz a big part of the D game plan last week.

It paid off.

This is a rookie quarterback who has limited mobility. BB will be all over Myles. He will not let Myles beat him.

JOK if playing could tilt this game. It is one thing pre-snap to bring Hill down into the box. That can be read.

JOK coming from OLB position can shoot gaps off Myles double team.

We have to bring pressure. It could lead to tunovers.
=======================================================================

On offense we need Chubb. I hope he can play.

d'Earnest can run but it is not the same.

I expect to see more of the same from Baker and the receivers. Spread it around with use of the TE on 13 set. It can look like heavy run set that we can pass off on.

We have the personnel to win this game. But like most games. It means execution. No penalty's.
Win the turnover game.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
This is a BIG game. The winner will be a legit playoff contender while the loser will be in some trouble. I naturally want my Browns to win every game but because I live in Pats land I especially would love to see us win this game and shut these obnoxious Pats fans up. BB will try to take away our run game because that's what he does; take away the other teams strength. Baker will probably have to win this game passing if we can't run. I'm sure KS realizes this and dials up some different plays to combat this. It will be a tough game for us.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/11/21 11:57 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We can't let a rookie QB beat us.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
2 members like this: BustkeviousMingo, AZBrown
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am glad he has reached that conclusion.

When you watch the strengths in Newsome and Ward. You see guys who excel at press coverage.

JOK can also play man at the second level. He can cover a TE or a slot.

JOK is a key asset because in pre snap you don't know his role.

He can be a blitzer and be lined up press man.

Greedy is also a very good press man guy.

Woods needs to be more aggressive. We were in Cinci and it paid off.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns In over 9400 football games,
No defense, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER lined up,

Like Eric Manginis' coached Browns team did agasint the Patriots, pre snap, and! It confused the Patriots offense, with Tom Brady, circa 2007 or whatever year it was, and I'd ask/hope the Brown will take a moment, to review that game tape.

What did they do?
The Browns, to disguise who was who on the defense, literally had their safeties and linebackers line up, pre snap,

standing belly to back and standing up. Then at the Snap they would break away into their assignments, but, pre-snap, with only about 3-4 players to look at, (because each cluster of 2 players appeared as only one player), it seemed the Quarteback, was unable to know what to do.
And the Browns won that game by a large margin.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
The amoeba defense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Hammer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So he just figured that out ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by waterdawg
So he just figured that out ?

We’ve had coaches who never figured it out (Jim O’Neil) and coaches who figured it out too late (Mangini). I’m just glad Woods seems to have figured things out pretty quickly given all the new personnel.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Patriots 45 Beating the Patriots

Link Copied to Clipboard