Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Patent-pending technology developed with Purdue University

The automaker and Purdue University are co-developing a charging cable for use with high-power charging stations that could recharge an electric vehicle's battery in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank, which typically takes about five minutes

The cable features a unique liquid cooling system that can phase the liquid into vapor, which improves its ability to dissipate heat.

"Today, chargers are limited in how quickly they can charge an EV’s battery due to the danger of overheating. Charging faster requires more current to travel through the charging cable," Michael Degner, senior technical leader, Ford Research and Advanced Engineering, said.

"The higher the current, the greater the amount of heat that has to be removed to keep the cable operational."

The most powerful stations currently in use can charge an electric car to 80% in 20 to 40 minutes and new cable designs will be required to increase the speed as battery and charging network technology improves.

A timeline for the rollout of the new cable has not been announced, but a patent application has been filed to protect the intellectual property.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-invents-cable-charge-electric-cars-5-minutes

As the technology continues to advance it won't be long until people start running out of excuses of why EV's won't work.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is a game changer when it becomes available. The only other thing that I worry about is if the power grid can accommodate the surgeon electric usage. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will be but we already have problems now with the power grid in certain states.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Pdawg: Well since we are supposedly trying to fix infrastructure for the future, maybe they factored that in...

jc PIT

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/19/21 05:16 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for posting. Pretty cool stuff. One nice thing about electricity is its versatility as opposed to petroleum/gas. There is a lot of potential improvement for both the expediency of the charge itself, like you mention, but also the ability to charge. Look at phone chargers for instance. They went from big clunky plugs to platform type charging. I wonder if there will ever be some type of infrastructural ability to put charge back in the vehicle as it's driving, to at least prolong the length the vehicle can actually go before it needs to stop for a legitimate charge. It'll be interesting to see how things progress from here forward, and I'm sure will continue to do so far after I'm gone.

I actually pulled the trigger and am getting an EV. I ordered it a couple months ago and it's due to be ready over the next month. Need to put a 40 amp in the garage somehow soon and I now have three electricians who haven't called me back, haha.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
That's why as much as so many seem to object to it, an infrastructure deal was so critical. 73 billion is going to upgrade our electric grid. I'm not going to try and predict whether that will address the entire problem but it should certainly go a long way to help address it.

I think as Americans we are all after the same goal. Energy independence from foreign nations. After decades of trying to drill our way out of the problem it's obvious that approach isn't going to work. While this is a relatively new way to approach it, with every EV that goes on our streets that's less foreign oil we're dependent on. So we can continue to go down the path of futility we've been on for decades or we can take a new and cleaner approach of creating American jobs, with American workers, using American electric.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I do understand there will be people, that no matter what obstacles EV's overcome, they will just not get on board with it. But to me that's not the objective I would like to see be achieved here. I'm simply hoping for enough of them to be on the road over the next decade or so that we are no longer held hostage by OPEC and the big oil companies. We're never going to achieve that unless we see oil rigs in every national park and place of beauty in our nation. And even then I highly doubt it would ever be accomplished. To me EV's are the only legitimate option at this juncture.

Great to hear you are buying one. When you get it please keep us informed of how you like it and the positives and negatives of owning one.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Will do. When I test drove it, I was heavily impressed. Hopefully that continues.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
I want an EV... I want one badly,,,,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Something to bring some hope. If enough are on the road, something will be figured out.

I guess the next big hurdle will be how many charging stations become available and how soon? The five minute charge sounds great. What won't be so great if you have to wait in a line 6 cars deep before you can use one of the chargers.

Sooner or later it will be like going in to a gas station. It will be that interim period that could be a problem for many people. At least for me, a hybrid is the best option. I am trying to find one that i like. The problem is you can't find many cars to buy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I think that there will be an awkward transition period, both in terms of trying to figure out the best path forward and in terms of previous powers that be not wanting changes to take place.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Something to bring some hope. If enough are on the road, something will be figured out.

I guess the next big hurdle will be how many charging stations become available and how soon? The five minute charge sounds great. What won't be so great if you have to wait in a line 6 cars deep before you can use one of the chargers.

Sooner or later it will be like going in to a gas station. It will be that interim period that could be a problem for many people. At least for me, a hybrid is the best option. I am trying to find one that i like. The problem is you can't find many cars to buy.

As of this September;

"How many EV charging stations are in the US?
The United States currently has a total of nearly 43,000 public EV charging stations and around 120,000 charging ports, according to U.S. Department of Energy data. Of those, the vast majority are Level 2 chargers.Sep 1, 2021"

I'm assuming that a charging port is like a gas pump..

Walmart has over 11,000 stores in the US.. Virtually all of them have several charging ports...

Basically, I think we are well on our way to having two things.. Greater range on EV's and ways to charge them up out on the road..

Now if they were only available.. Geez\

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL @ you little "environmentalists"

Gas forever baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend
Legend

Well, we're about to find out how quickly America can get up to speed because of the infrastructure bill that was just passed. Part of the reason that the pace of EV progress has accelerated was because of the EV proposals that were 44's 2009 stimulus bill. Solar prices began dropping, more r&d was enacted, new companies popped up (with more competition, thereby further driving down the prices associated with implementation. My guess is that 46's BIF will similarly give a shot in the arm to this initiative.

Here's how I would roll it out: first and foremost, I'd marry it to America's other most recent bigass project (By Eisenhauer): I'd install them at every comfort station along every single interstate highway in the nation Next, I'd offer incentives to Big Oil to install them at their franchise stations. First, maybe only one or two, but as the demographics shift, Big Oil should see the handwriting on the wall and use their size advantage to morph from 'Big Oil' to 'Big Energy' (I talked to Std. Oil execs about this 40 years ago, and advised them to get out front with this. Whoever is first to make this part of their 21st c survival plan will reap the benefits). Third, I'd interface with nat'l and local electric utilities to incorporate these stations as they build out the rest of the grid to 21st c standards. It will be easier (and less painful) to build them in early, instead of trying to retrofit them into a system that could have been built with these stations included from the start.

When I think of how many EV's would still mostly be slow-charged overnight in peoples' garages and driveways, the task of distributing charging stations wide doesn't seem quite as daunting. Most folks are local drivers anyway, and wouldn't need a 5-min charge.

One important detail: fast-charge and slow-charge should use the same connex. There should be no 'war of formats' like we had with VHS/BETA or refillable butane lighters with all those interchangeable tips (remember those?). There should be a universal industry standard from the start. Folks need to be able to make this transition with a minim of drama and hardsjip.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
I want EV divers to consider what happens if they are in a deluge downpour.
Once, it only takes once. Once someone was in Florida, after nightfall, on a two lane road, not yet clear on the directions, gotta check the garmin. and it started to rain, and when it rains there, the water doesn't drain like some might be used to up here.
So I want EV enthusiasts, to experience, a total driving rain from the sky, And, the constant deluge from the bottom of the roadway splashing up at the same time.

Then, I want EV drivers to understand, (but they wont), how much your EV will control your ability to just do anything.

Your car will need software updates, Your car will be enslaved to the nearest power cord. Your car will demand you become a battery maintenance technician. Your car will not work in the cold, or the hot, or the wet, or the mud, or the breeze. You will be a slave to your cars wishes.

Your car will not just be a car, your car will be asking you to login, and then enter a password, and then demand a software update, and then your car will tell you your car is no longer supported until you update to a newer more expensive car. Then you will not be able to drive on certain roads because they are only for newer operating system cars?

Electric cars are so stupid. Someone actually had an electric car from radio shack many years ago.
It was 1/12th scale. It's battery would charge in 1 hour, it only took one hour for the battery to charge, the rechargeable battery that would be a good to use battery for a whole 13 months.

And of course it only gave 8 minutes of performance for that 1 hour charging time. And you could never get it wet. And it often crashed because of the electrics failing. Many of those crashes would have been fatal if it were not a little toy car 1/12? or 1/10th scale.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
[quote]
One important detail: fast-charge and slow-charge should use the same connex. There should be no 'war of formats' like we had with VHS/BETA or refillable butane lighters with all those interchangeable tips (remember those?). There should be a universal industry standard from the start. Folks need to be able to make this transition with a minim of drama and hardsjip.

This 120%, it's vital. Settle on what works best and make every manufacture adapt. Let them do the heavy lifting according to the mandate. Let's bring back the word DEFACTO with this and all new technologies, consumers are sick and tired of sorting through bull$#*! when we are the ones paying the tab.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SuperBrown

Yeah baby,,, Gas forever... also bringing back Buggy Whips...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
I want EV divers to consider what happens if they are in a deluge downpour.
Once, it only takes once. Once someone was in Florida, after nightfall, on a two lane road, not yet clear on the directions, gotta check the garmin. and it started to rain, and when it rains there, the water doesn't drain like some might be used to up here.
So I want EV enthusiasts, to experience, a total driving rain from the sky, And, the constant deluge from the bottom of the roadway splashing up at the same time.

Then, I want EV drivers to understand, (but they wont), how much your EV will control your ability to just do anything.

Your car will need software updates, Your car will be enslaved to the nearest power cord. Your car will demand you become a battery maintenance technician. Your car will not work in the cold, or the hot, or the wet, or the mud, or the breeze. You will be a slave to your cars wishes.

Your car will not just be a car, your car will be asking you to login, and then enter a password, and then demand a software update, and then your car will tell you your car is no longer supported until you update to a newer more expensive car. Then you will not be able to drive on certain roads because they are only for newer operating system cars?

Electric cars are so stupid. Someone actually had an electric car from radio shack many years ago.
It was 1/12th scale. It's battery would charge in 1 hour, it only took one hour for the battery to charge, the rechargeable battery that would be a good to use battery for a whole 13 months.

And of course it only gave 8 minutes of performance for that 1 hour charging time. And you could never get it wet. And it often crashed because of the electrics failing. Many of those crashes would have been fatal if it were not a little toy car 1/12? or 1/10th scale.

Do you make posts like this to prove your insanity?

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Infrastructure Bill: 7.5 Billion toward nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ationwide-network-of-500-000-ev-chargers

Can you imagine people saying the same thing about gas stations when the car was invented? I certainly can.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

That might work well for you until charging stations are everywhere and gas stations get hard to find. And no matter how many times you throw a tantrum about it, that time will be coming.

[right wing rhetoric rebuttal]Sadly you love to label it environmentalists because you're too blinded by your politics to understand it's American Patriots that are promoting the United states be energy independent and no longer depending on the middle east for foreign oil. Step up and be a patriot instead of continuing to spend billions going to Muslim countries. Do you like funding the terrorists? Why does Supernrown promote funding terrorism?[/right wing rhetoric rebuttal]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

That might work well for you until charging stations are everywhere and gas stations get hard to find. And no matter how many times you throw a tantrum about it, that time will be coming.

[right wing rhetoric rebuttal]Sadly you love to label it environmentalists because you're too blinded by your politics to understand it's American Patriots that are promoting the United states be energy independent and no longer depending on the middle east for foreign oil. Step up and be a patriot instead of continuing to spend billions going to Muslim countries. Do you like funding the terrorists? Why does Supernrown promote funding terrorism?[/right wing rhetoric rebuttal]

Actually, as I've shown, they pretty much are just about everywhere... At least wherever there is a Walmart

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Yeah, I think that there will be an awkward transition period, both in terms of trying to figure out the best path forward and in terms of previous powers that be not wanting changes to take place.

I think most know it is inevitable. The transition period will be the problem for me. My wife and I are retired and take a lot of road trips. If it is say 1500 miles or so, we like the journey and drive. I don't want to have problems finding adequate charging stations and I want it convenient. I want it easy to find and don't want to wait a excessive period of time.

Thus, a hybrid best fits our needs. If we were still working and still owned a primary residence, I'd put a charger in the garage as you said you are and good to go with at least 1 vehicle. You can't do that when renting an apartment is what we have decided best fits our needs at this stage of life.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Well, we're about to find out how quickly America can get up to speed because of the infrastructure bill that was just passed. Part of the reason that the pace of EV progress has accelerated was because of the EV proposals that were 44's 2009 stimulus bill. Solar prices began dropping, more r&d was enacted, new companies popped up (with more competition, thereby further driving down the prices associated with implementation. My guess is that 46's BIF will similarly give a shot in the arm to this initiative.

Here's how I would roll it out: first and foremost, I'd marry it to America's other most recent bigass project (By Eisenhauer): I'd install them at every comfort station along every single interstate highway in the nation Next, I'd offer incentives to Big Oil to install them at their franchise stations. First, maybe only one or two, but as the demographics shift, Big Oil should see the handwriting on the wall and use their size advantage to morph from 'Big Oil' to 'Big Energy' (I talked to Std. Oil execs about this 40 years ago, and advised them to get out front with this. Whoever is first to make this part of their 21st c survival plan will reap the benefits). Third, I'd interface with nat'l and local electric utilities to incorporate these stations as they build out the rest of the grid to 21st c standards. It will be easier (and less painful) to build them in early, instead of trying to retrofit them into a system that could have been built with these stations included from the start.

When I think of how many EV's would still mostly be slow-charged overnight in peoples' garages and driveways, the task of distributing charging stations wide doesn't seem quite as daunting. Most folks are local drivers anyway, and wouldn't need a 5-min charge.

Ultimately that is what is going to happen. Current gas station locations will become charging stations. Exxon isn't going to go out of business.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by dawglover05

I think most know it is inevitable. The transition period will be the problem for me. My wife and I are retired and take a lot of road trips. If it is say 1500 miles or so, we like the journey and drive. I don't want to have problems finding adequate charging stations and I want it convenient. I want it easy to find and don't want to wait a excessive period of time.

Thus, a hybrid best fits our needs. If we were still working and still owned a primary residence, I'd put a charger in the garage as you said you are and good to go with at least 1 vehicle. You can't do that when renting an apartment is what we have decided best fits our needs at this stage of life.

Yeah, apartment complexes and renting is a harder question to deal with. I did notice at my in-laws' condo that they now have four spaces that are dedicated for EVs, with the charge ports attached now. The issue I have there is the amount of companies that run the charge ports. Every one of them wants you to download their app. I don't really want to download six gagillion apps and create an account with each one to charge my car when I'm not at home. We'll see.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I don't know how it would work out so well for people who don't own their home. For me, the appeal for electric vehicles is because I'd probably never have to use a charging station as it would be charged at home overnight. Depending on the range achieved at the time I finally buy an e-vehicle, we might hang onto a gas car for those longer trips.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
If our country got its head out of its ass and did a serious upgrade on our electrical infrastructure, it’s be easy for a lot of people to make the swap to electric.

Gas vehicles will still be the majority for a while, but it’s a good start. Walmart, target, and meijers has electric pumps in the parking lots already. Set new standards for new houses/divisions to included electrical boxes/hubs than can support an optional Elyria plug in hub.

I mean that’s instant job creation and pure capitalism right there.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
F
Legend
Legend
F
The thing with EVs is that the majority of people would not need a "Station" as the average person could slow charge at night for their daily commute. It would be those taking longer trips or living in places where they can't have their own charger, that would be using station charges and such.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's where I'm at. We still have our mini-van that we'll take on longer family trips, but we'll try to make the Y our every-day car to commute, and possibly take to Cleveland.

Say, do you happen to know any decent electricians in our neck of the woods? laugh

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I have an excellent electrician. I'll PM.

Hold-up, though. Did you get the Y?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks! And yes, sir.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I guess some missed that the infrastructure bill addresses upgrades of our electric grid, will provide for over 500k charging stations and Ford along with other manufacturers will have a five minute charge.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
There is more in the BBB plan too.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I was simply trying to address the parts that spoke directly to their, what seemed to be major concerns.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Polestar EV's

Look how far we've come. The last polestar I'd heard of went by the stage name 'Cherry Turnover, ' and got all the money up in the club...

Last edited by Clemdawg; 11/22/21 06:50 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Ford invents cable that can charge electric cars in about 5 minutes

Link Copied to Clipboard