Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A federal jury has returned a partial verdict in a civil case about whether the white nationalist organizers of the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville four years ago conspired to commit racially motivated violence that left one person dead and scores injured.

Judge Norman Moon announced Tuesday that the jury considers that it has arrived at a verdict in this case.

The jury was not able to reach a decision on whether the defendants had, under an obscure federal statute, conspired to commit racially motivated violence. It did conclude that they had committed conspiracy under state laws and awarded plaintiffs a total of about $25 million in damages.

The jury sent a note to the court saying that it had deadlocked on the first two claims — the reliance of the case on the "KKK Act," an 1871 statute designed to protect African Americans from the Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups — and whether the defendants conspired to commit racially motivated violence.

According to the note from the jury. "We have unanimously decided on claims 3,4,5,6. After reviewing final jury instructions and decided claims 1 and 2 at length, we are deadlocked. We do not believe this will change."

The case centered on leaders of the "alt-right" rally in August 2017, that featured mobs chanting "Jews will not replace us," while encircling counter-protesters on the University of Virginia campus, wielding and in some cases throwing burning tiki torches as they marched.

Nine plaintiffs — made up of current and former Charlottesville residents — were seeking to prove that their constitutional rights were violated when the defendants entered into a conspiracy of racially motivated violence, and they were asking for compensatory and punitive damages for physical and emotional injuries.

In total, 14 individuals and 10 organizations were defendants in the case, including notorious leaders of long-established hate groups.

The jury, which was made up of four women and seven men, deliberated for three days and heard from 36 witnesses over nearly four weeks of testimony.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charlo...0C4DXieJMlfTJHSTtNBGAtpDrxQqfEk-Q7wdqhEU

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm really curious where this goes from here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Me too. I never followed this trial. I didn't even know it was going on. It will be interesting to find out where the bar was set as it pertains to the evidence that was needed to establish this conviction.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was actually talking about the $25m. If someone came up to me and said I owed them $25m or whatever (deserved or not), I'd probably just laugh at them. Based on the little that was mentioned in that article, I'd be surprised if any of that settlement actually gets paid out, much less goes to the plaintiffs after the lawyers get theirs.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, with 14 individuals and 10 organizations as defendants, I imagine the lawyers did their due diligence and found the deep pockets from jump. Else, this is about shutting them down and embarrassing them by bankrupting them. But I don't see the grand wizard (or whatever) of the KKK freaking out over collection calls from an attorney's office. I also don't see many hate groups having attainable funds sitting around in accounts that law enforcement could sweep. It will be interesting, but I don't think anyone will ever be paid either. However, as long as that judgement and penalty hang over their heads, they will never legally be able to own anything of value outright without fear of it being seized. Bank accounts, investments, real estate, vehicles, basically anything valued higher than what you can keep in a bankruptcy is fair game if they really want to go after them. I COULD SEE seizure of cars, homes, other real estate, and all financial institution accounts.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/24/21 12:04 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The defendants don't have the money. The idea is to make sure that they will never have any money to engage is their fringe activities.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
The case centered on leaders of the "alt-right" rally in August 2017, that featured mobs chanting "Jews will not replace us," while encircling counter-protesters on the University of Virginia campus, wielding and in some cases throwing burning tiki torches as they marched.

"Jews will not replace us"? Begs the question, what idiot is feeding these people this crap?

How does anyone with a brain arrive at this statement? What drives all this hate?

Ya gotta ask, who's behind all this hate that's being spewed?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
These were “very fine people”.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Jury awards $25 million in Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally civil case

Link Copied to Clipboard