Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
On a hunch, I checked if orange and brown talk podcast, local plain dealer reporters, would let me regress back and listen to the post game of last years game against the Raiders. It did. So, here are some ponts.

The Browns were 5-3 after the loss, the game was the game before the bye week for the Browns.

Myles Garrett was very limited with a hurt knee. There were BuKu drops by Browns receivers, and the Browns offense sputtered. It was after OBJ's injury he did not play, iirc.

The Raiders won the 2020 game, in Cleveland 16-6, the scoreing was by quarter, iirc, .. 0,6,0,10 raiders,
and 0,3,3,0 Browns, at some point it was 6-6 in the 3rd quarter.

The Raiders dominated time of possession 37:43 to 22:17.
There was a Jarvis Landry Touchdown that got taken away by the refs??

D'Ernest Johnson had 2 carries for 6 yards.
Nick Chubb did not play. ?

Austin Hooper did not play. ? Higgins only one catch for 14 yards.
(This is a Review of the 2020 Raiders at Browns game 16-6 loss for the Browns)
Run Defense, they were complaining for, about, ....
about tackling by the front 7, the linebackers, and mentioned by name were Ogunjobi, Sheldon Richardson, and Jordan Elliott.

With 4:02 before the half, to go in the first half, the Raiders took possession, had a field goal scoring drive and did not give the ball back to the Browns before the half, ish.

" Healthy Myles would have helped, but Carr does have quick releases."
"Gruden, and his defense called a masterful game"

Njoku big drop, Kareem Hunt drop, I think Landry was mentioned with a drop.

Harrison Bryant was forced into a fumble. (must have been first half, next Browns drive the Browns only got a Field goal)

Browns were outscored 0-10 in the 4th quarter.

"hard to create momentum and stay loose" (offensively) when they were on the sideline for so long.
Wyatt Teller may have been out.

Also, THE WEATHER, it was very windy , cold, maybe snowy, very much was a factor.
----------------

No reason to live in the past, but there is a reason to REVIEW< and learn from what this same opponent did last time, that made the Browns look like one of their worst outings of the entire 2020 season.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
It was one of our worst games last year. Unfortunately, we’ve had a lot of poor games this year. Waller being in/out will be a big deal too IMO.

Lately their offense has been predicated on Renfrow and jacobs. He’s like Cooper Kupp light.

Good point about the drops and fumble … forgot about those until you mentioned it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Last year the weather sucked and they ran it down our throats. I don't expect that to happen again.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I believe that was one of the three "weather" games last season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Going into last years game, the Raiders were supposed to have a succeptible defense, yet when the game played out, the Browns had the ball on offense so little, we really didn't get to see if that were true or not.
The 2020 Raider game.
Baker Mayfield 12 for 25 122 yards, 6 rushes for 29 yards. (so 13 incomplete). (Now I wonder if he had a big gainer to up that average or if most of his scrambles were positive plays.)
Kareem Hunt in the 2020 game, 14 rushes for 66 yards, 4.7+ ypc. and 2 catches for 7 yards.

Raidrs Qb, Derek Carr in that game last year was 15 for 24 for 111 yards and a touchdown. so 9 incomplete.

The Browns didn't seem to force any turnovers from where I could reread yet. (I'm sure Raiders fans once let me know they are as an organization convinced if the Raiders, look for, to go into, any game, if they can get a Plus 5 margin in combined sacks and turnovers, they think their team will win 90+% of the time.
So the Browns should be aware of that in this years matchup, I don't know the sacks in the 2020 game or if either team reached the +5 or greater combined ratio of sacks and turnovers vs the other team.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
REMEMBER 2018!!!! September 30th 2018. Browns Raiders.

The Browns appeared to have the game in hand up 42-34 in a Baker Mayfield and Myles Garrett year,? with no time to play and a first down.
the Referees' measured a first down WITH THE STICKS! remember, and it was a 1st down, only have to take a knee and win.

And the referees then, reviewed it, and found some phantom way to say Carlos' Hydes' elbow was down 4th and inches.
the article says, though the video appeared to show, he actually had the First down.
the Browns then coach decided to punt, and the Browns lost after a Td, and a 2 pt, and an overtime, on a field goal.

Yeah, Those Raiders, Those officials.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/controve...dens-first-win-since-2008-001300936.html

.. smh, and I was looking for highlights from the 2007 range... game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I remember that game well. We GOT SCREWED. There was another game that year when the refs blew the whistle after we recovered a fumble and were on our way to a TD. They said they blew it because they couldn't see the ball if I remember correctly. We should have won both those games and didn't because of the officiating. Our record would have been 9-6-1 instead of 7-8-1 and would have gotten us in the playoffs. That other game was against Baltimore.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/14/21 05:23 PM.
Legend
Legend
We need to play two first-half periods in the game, so we avoid some crazy competition to give it away on defense versus an offense refusing to score. We have wilted in the clutch. Survived a few, but the refs can be enough to sink this ship.

How about a no doubter? We need to get after it and dodge the flags.

Unleash the Elves!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Our D needs to continue to play well for this game. On O I would run the ball and mix in safe passing plays. Just continue to move the ball and help our D stay fresh. We need the D to play as well as they have in any game this year.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Raiders 16 Reviewing last years Raider game

Link Copied to Clipboard