Print Thread
#1913055 12/21/21 09:44 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I saw was a competitive game with us against all odds. Our defense did what it could except on 3rd downs we also seemed to collapse.

I saw Chubbb runing no where and then all of a sudden a fire was lit and he just didn't run he bursted on the scene and we were able to bring a mix of small passes and then a chuck on a long one. An early drop by DPJ down the right sideliinses as he was wide open and the throw a tad easey but a pass right in the chest of DPJ . That brought us down a notch. Mullens actually gave his all and did not throw an INT - lot of heart from hi as he stayed in the pocket and got creamed but made the throw of course just not deep enough to do any damage.

I noticed right off and throughout the game Mullens could not run at alllhis legs would give out on him as you can see his kinee buckle as he tried to run. But over and over again our defense kept on playing strong. We reallly missed our starting DT and Takk along with Clowney out - One guy penetrating just didn't help and then Garrett would not try to penetrate as Carr would let go of the ball early and if it was a run they would just run off tackle B gap or even C gap as garrett would penetrate only to create a big spacr ofr them to run through - for the most part we stopped the run but I didn't like the soft zone we played on 3rd down passes knowing full well how Carr would have to get rid of the ball early and we just didn't come up and attack the throws coming, instead we would let them catch the ball and get the first.

So third ddowns killed us. On oh I'm saying, no yelling just keep on running the ball and take that extra down (4th) and run for the first. Why not all we were doing wwas giving them the ball anyways let us at least make a game out of it and run 4 downs and eventually they would crush under that pressure of course occasionally throwing a pass here and there off of play action but get a big space in the middle for our TE Njoku and Harrison who by the way both made great plays on 3rd down, I think kHarrison on 4th down or maybe both I just know they were successful.

It was nice to see Higgins getting the ball thown to him and he would catch it with sure hands. . In that 4th quarter we got the running attack of wearing them down but too little too late as this is what I was asking for from the beginning - wearing them down and letting our defense win the game was the way to go but we just didn't choose to wear them down. Stilll it was a miracle we were in the game at all. Losing on a last second FG was terrible especially with the way we let them get some soft deep throws without us playing tight we just let them catch that ball on that last drive with hardly any opposition and big chunks of yardage.

We should have been on top of the AFC North but didn't get there. Pain tooo much righ now physical and mental. got to go let me know what you saw out there.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I saw a team blow it like usual to end the season.

Legend
Legend
Special teams is often considered last as a unit.

Looking around at not just our loses but the wins and loses of other teams. Take Justin Tucker off the Ravens and count the loses.

Add a legitimate kicker to the Browns and we are in first place.

We could have won with a first down. We could have won with a stop.

But we lost because the kicker is expected to make that kick in that situation.

Mullins delivered. He is a third string quarterback for reasons. But on fourth down and goal from the six. He delivered.

I could single out players like MJ Stewart but that is not fair. He is a third string safety.

We were missing 8 starters to covid plus players that were injured. That is damn near impossible to overcome with how close NFL teams are.

When Greedy got the pick. I thought we had them. It is easy to say "they should have done X." But we failed to get a single first down.

Of course you had to punt. You can't go for it in that situation.

The defense did blitz when the Raiders had the ball. Credit to them. They made it happen and made the kick.
They scored a touchdown and made three field goals.

We didn't make our field goal. And that lost the game.
=======================================================================================

In order for the Browns to win the division and advance in the playoffs.

We must have better special teams. We must have a field goal kicker that we can count on to make kicks that win games not lose them.

Legend
Legend
I saw an undermanned team that Damn near beat a team with virtually a full compliment of their starters.. This game is one that I thought no way could we win it.

I saw a team as prepared as it could be under the circumstances. If anyone thinks that the coaching staff and the player personnel depts aren't worthy of the high praise they received last year, just look at what they were able to do in one weeks time..

Am I disappointed we lost? Of course. But damn, I was also impressed with how they played.. It proved to me that we have the right folks at the top and it's just a matter of time and yeah, a little luck before we turn this around.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
It was nice to see Higgins getting the ball thown to him and he would catch it with sure hands.

EO...It seemed to take the whole first half to figure out that Chubb is better at running a sweep and allowing him to make the choice of where he cuts back. Chubb can run between the tackles but you better have the blocking to open a hole or create a lane to run in.

It was good to see Higgins out there and for one thing, he's not afraid to go over the middle. Hopefully Higgins can get on the field with Mayfield at QB.

I was very disappointed at Ward and JOK's attempt at tackling the Raiders #87 with 0:25 seconds on the clock...both acted as if they didn't want any part of tackling the guy and he ran another 5 yds for a first down when the Browns #35 ran him out of bounds with 0:22 seconds left. That was enough to pick up the first down and stop the clock...helping to give the Raiders enough time to run another play, getting closer for the FG then leaving 3 seconds on the clock to kick the FG

Had Ward and JOK tackled the guy, there was a good chance he would have been inbounds allowing the clock to continue to run. Did that play cost the Browns the WIN...imo, yes it did. I hope the coach runs that play over and over for those two guys to watch the lack of effort they gave with the game on the line. If Ward and JOK are afraid of getting hurt then they should get the hell off the field.

Some have claimed that the Browns are soft on defense...this one play is a defining moment for the Defensive coaches and the players they are supposed to be coaching. Coaching is "teaching"..."teaching" the game of football, STARTING WITH THE BASICS...TACKLING AND BLOCKING !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: Frenchy
Legend
Legend
I saw us come out and do exactly what the Raiders expected us to do, try to run Nick Chubb into the teeth of their defense and then try to throw 4 yard passes, the only deep throw we attempted early was there, he just dropped it. Once they took the reins off of Mullens and started to let him throw the ball down the field, surprise, running lanes started to open up.

I saw the Raiders protect Carr with 6 blockers on most plays because they knew if they could hold off the rush long enough, our depleted secondary would break down. Credit to the secondary for not giving up many big plays and keeping things in front of them. It felt, for much of the game, like they were gouging us for 7 or 8 yards on simple runs on first down and that we were giving them every pass they wanted under 8 yards.... yet when I checked the score, they had only scored 10 points...

I saw us, in a game where we were fighting against all odds, put ourselves in a position to win and absolutely REFUSE to take any chances that could have won us the game. It's like we would rather face almost certain death by 1000 cuts, because that's what the analytics say, than for SOMEBODY to take a chance and if it doesn't work, have to answer for it.

I saw our special teams cost us yet again. I get the punter, the dude is like 45 years old and was signed 2 weeks ago out of necessity, but our FG kicker has just fallen apart. He was 15/15 on XPs and 9/9 on FGs after about 6 games, since then he's 14/15 on XPs and 6/12 on FGs. He has missed at least one kick in 6 in of our last 8 games. When you are playing a bunch of close games in the middle of a playoff run, having your FG kicker be 50% isn't going to cut it.

Overall, I saw a team that was as prepared as they could have been, a team that played with good intensity, a stadium that was rocking, and a game that was winnable... and a staff that just couldn't pull the trigger when the win was in their sites.

yebat' Putin
2 members like this: Hammer, FATE
Legend
Legend
I was very disappointed at Ward and JOK's attempt at tackling the Raiders #87 with 0:25 seconds on the clock...both acted as if they didn't want any part of tackling the guy and he ran another 5 yds for a first down when the Browns #35 ran him out of bounds with 0:22 seconds left. That was enough to pick up the first down and stop the clock...helping to give the Raiders enough time to run another play, getting closer for the FG then leaving 3 seconds on the clock to kick the FG
It looked, for all the world, like they thought he was just going to step out of bounds and they were going to let him.... then he didn't and he split them for extra yardage.

Hit him, maybe get a fumble, prevent the first down, try to keep him in bounds. He's not a QB. Just a bad decision.

yebat' Putin
2nd String
2nd String
DITTO Mac

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Yea, this is BAD and inexcusable

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well just like the QB in College that faked a slide and no one wanted to hit him. I am assuming the 3 Browns players were trying to avoid the 15 yard hit out of bounds and the Raider player stayed in bounds.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
That play was BEYOND angering. I was so mad at the flippant and nonchalant effort

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I saw the opponent's receivers always separated from defense (we were lucky they dropped so many balls) and our own receivers unable to get open at all. They force the QB to make a perfect throw every time. I saw a kicker miss what would have been the difference, weeks after putting us on notice that we needed an upgrade. I saw some hungry guys, Mullen, Day, Moffatt and Gustin who seemed to be trying harder than the stars. Finally, I saw the other team kill us with imaginative play-calling while we were agonizingly predictable.
We should use our first four draft picks on wide receivers. Maybe two will pan out. We have no one right now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I came as unglued as I have all Season on our last possession . Third and we need 3 . We have not been able to gain yardage running Right all game. What does Van Pelt do , run right . I have witness my share of bad paly calling from the Browns this year , but that one took the cake !

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hadn't heard of this. This was hilarious.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
i have heard people moan about play calling since I first began watching football.

"Why did he call that play?" "Why didn't we run the ball?" How could you go for two in that situation?"

"Third and 5 and we run? Are you kidding me?"

It has been and will always be. However, bear in mind the coaches have way more information to base a call on than we do. I am not saying they are always right. Of course not because it never works whatever the call all the time.

I called pitches as a baseball coach from the bench. You make the call and hope for the best. But you make the call with a lot of information.

So, I accept the plays called. I don't always agree but I accept the calls because I know they have more information available to them than I have.
===========================================================================================

What I have a hard time accepting is field goal kickers missing kicks when the distance is within his range, the field conditions are decent, and they get a good snap and hold.

I can not excuse our kicker missing that field goal last night.

He has to make that kick. It is not like he has to beat another player. He doesn't practice having a player knock the ball from his hands. He doesn't have to contend with anything but the ball if all else is "within reason."

Believe me I know it is not easy. But they are paid to do that one task. They are on a roster because they have shown the ability to make those kicks. They are paid a lot of money. Of course they want to make the kick. And it must feel terrible to miss a game winning kick.

But this is professional football. You have to make that kick.

To a degree the GM is also responsible. They know the importance. NFL games are often close and many are decided by 3 points or less. If you have questions about your kicker. Or, lack faith in them. You have to find a guy who you trust. It is to damn important.

That game was hard fought. We had players playing from the practice squad who have not started a game. It is amazing that we were in a position to win.

Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe that's the way the cookie crumbles. Or, the way it goes sometimes. BS. Make the damn kick.

If I had a line on another guy who I could get. He would be gone today.

1 member likes this: Hammer
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by The Big G
I saw the opponent's receivers always separated from defense (we were lucky they dropped so many balls) and our own receivers unable to get open at all. They force the QB to make a perfect throw every time. I saw a kicker miss what would have been the difference, weeks after putting us on notice that we needed an upgrade. I saw some hungry guys, Mullen, Day, Moffatt and Gustin who seemed to be trying harder than the stars. Finally, I saw the other team kill us with imaginative play-calling while we were agonizingly predictable.
We should use our first four draft picks on wide receivers. Maybe two will pan out. We have no one right now.

Yep...you could copy that post and put it in darn near every game this year...and much of last year.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by waterdawg
I came as unglued as I have all Season on our last possession . Third and we need 3 . We have not been able to gain yardage running Right all game. What does Van Pelt do , run right . I have witness my share of bad paly calling from the Browns this year , but that one took the cake !

We've had trouble running right all year with the revolving door at the RT position. Running right (again) at that time reeked of the play-caller trying to "out-smart" the other team...catch 'em off guard...as opposed to trying to find a play that might work based on what we can and can't do and the D's apparent resolve to stop the exact damn play that we ended up running.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by DaveyD

Moffatt looks back at Ward with a WTF shrug. We are a weak and weak-minded defensive team...and it starts with our (2) Pro Bowl "leaders". One "leader" pats LJ on the butt after he beats us with a total BS play (while Clowney slams his helmet on the ground in disgust) and the other guy purposely whiffs on a tackle that could have changed the game (while the PS guy looks on in amazement).

It starts with their mentality folks...we need an alpha leader or two on the defensive side of the ball...and today we do not have one...actually quite the opposite. Couple our defensive "identity" with a play-not-to-lose DC and we get exactly what we have.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think it's all about the expectations of what you expect the team to do. It starts at the top and mediocrity of any kind must NOT be accepted. That goes for every facet of the game.

I know this isn't college but I'll use Ohio State as my example. It's not okay to lose if you're at OSU, it's unacceptable. Players, coaches, whoever get time to fix something; mindset, play on the field, scheme, philosophy, if you can't do it then you're out! We'll get someone who can call plays and perform at a higher level. This type of standard can also be seen in the gold standard organizations such as the Yankees and Patriots hroughout history.

1. You also can't be afraid to make examples of players. That nobody is bigger than the team. If they cause a distraction or underperform they're gone! The Browns did a good job of this with OBJ, although they let it go on for WAY WAY too long. Why hasn't Chase McLaughlin been cut yet? I would have cut him that night, maybe Monday. Why is he still on the team? You need to show that kind of play won't be tolerated. If you want to play for the Cleveland Browns you need to be better than that.

2. It's a business. Sometimes I get the sense that the guys we have running things are too nice. I'll throw the journalists of Cleveland in there too. Everyone can see that there's something weird going on with our offensive philosophy! It's not rocket science. We don't stretch the field, are way too conservative, predictable. Some people on the staff may be very nice individuals but that doesn't necessarily make them good football coaches. I think all good coaches have somewhat of a killer instinct and so far I've never seen that from Kevin Stefanski. You should want to crush the opponent, put your boot on their throat, win, enforce your will. Gregg Williams was the last person on the coaching staff that had this type of fire and we chose to dismiss him for some reason....?

I keep thinking back about the episode I saw on the TV show "A football life" for AL Davis. I want his type of mentality with a football team, that the game is almost an exercise in military tactics. The team isn't going to wait, sit back, take what the defense gives them. We're going to take it for ourselves.

Bottom line, we're too nice.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by redddog
I saw a team blow it like usual to end the season.
I saw the game, you saw the game, I saw them have one chance to win it with 2:00 minutes to play and nose dived, on a choice to punt? A choice to punt is not even something that happens, success or failure, on the field. First place or Last place in the div. was on the line.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

Moffatt looks back at Ward with a WTF shrug. We are a weak and weak-minded defensive team...and it starts with our (2) Pro Bowl "leaders". One "leader" pats LJ on the butt after he beats us with a total BS play (while Clowney slams his helmet on the ground in disgust) and the other guy purposely whiffs on a tackle that could have changed the game (while the PS guy looks on in amazement).

It starts with their mentality folks...we need an alpha leader or two on the defensive side of the ball...and today we do not have one...actually quite the opposite. Couple our defensive "identity" with a play-not-to-lose DC and we get exactly what we have.

That play, by #21 CB Ward and #28 LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah...cost the Browns the game...might also cost the team a chance to make the playoffs and a chance play for a shot at the Super Bowl. Every goal the Browns set for themselves at the beginning of the season was on the line and two of our star players decided that it was not their job to tackle the Raiders backup TE, #87.

You can't win with player who are AFRAID TO TACKLE.

I do know that Mack Wilson would have taken down the Raiders TE...but Mack Wilson is not one of the nice guys that our analytical management and coaches prefer.

Can't win with soft management and soft coaches, either.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

That play, by #21 CB Ward and #28 LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah...cost the Browns the game...might also cost the team a chance to make the playoffs and a chance play for a shot at the Super Bowl. Every goal the Browns set for themselves at the beginning of the season was on the line and two of our star players decided that it was not their job to tackle the Raiders backup TE, #87.

You can't win with player who are AFRAID TO TACKLE.

I do know that Mack Wilson would have taken down the Raiders TE...but Mack Wilson is not one of the nice guys that our analytical management and coaches prefer.

Can't win with soft management and soft coaches, either.
No one is afraid to tackle. C'mon.

Dude didn't get shoved out of bounds by the first player, everyone in the world knows he needs to get out of bounds. Bad play, not laziness or anything like that.

Extra five yards when the 47 yard FG split the uprights and was good from 60. Hardly a "cost the game" moment or anything like that.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't know about being afraid to tackle...but...Ward had the angle there to make the tackle and attempt (at least try) to keep the TE in-bounds and he didn't want anything of the sort. I don't think his touching the TE would have counted in a game of two-hand touch.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Raiders 16 What I saw LV Raiders game

Link Copied to Clipboard