Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1921005 01/22/22 09:07 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
people like to take a single line of MLK's " i have a dream" speech and use that to justify their own seflish agenda.

i wonder if anybody on this board have actually heard the entire speech, or any of his other speeches and writings.

start at 29:50, cause i already some of you don't want to hear the truth about MLK's legacy. so listen to this speech of his, and then ask yourselves: have any of you ever told somebody to lift themselves up by their bootstraps?

i await the responses to my specific question, and why. cause everything MLK said their is 100% fact.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1921033 01/22/22 12:05 PM
Legend
Legend
To answer your question.....yes I have, but not in those exact words. I've told people (when warranted) to get their crap together, to stop wallowing in their own self pity and to stop blaming others for their misfortune. I also pointed out and assisted them in using the resources available to help them do just that. Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge and a small accomplishment to realize they have the power to be successful. Fortunately, I am in a position to see many success stories of people who have overcome great obstacles.

As far as this video goes, I find it appalling that people use snippets of MLK's speeches and writings for political gain....on both sides of the aisle. Youngkin, DeSantis and Trump using MLK as ammo against critical race theory is as disgusting as people committing crime in the name of Jesus Christ. It's moronic to think that this won't infuriate the opposition and people of color. Maybe that's what they're aiming for? I'm fed up with politics, I just don't care anymore. MLK was a brilliant radical, someone whose message was desperately needed to spearhead the equal rights movement, not to further political agendas.

Last edited by jfanent; 01/22/22 12:07 PM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1921035 01/22/22 12:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jfanent
MLK was a brilliant radical, someone whose message was desperately needed to spearhead the equal rights movement, not to further political agendas.

And it's no less needed today than it was then. The problem being anyone trying to further equal rights today? It gets labeled as political.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
jfanent #1921173 01/22/22 09:06 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Using MLK as ammo against critical race theory? CRT is Hate!
MLK, would not, if he could, allow his name to be used to further hate, not even if that hate was directed against white people.
" It's dumb to think this won't infuriate the opposition and poc" ??

If people, get infuriated when people stand up against their hatred and racism, as is the case when people stand up against CRT,
Because standing against CRT, taking a stand against CRT is taking a stand against hatred and racism.

So if other people, get infuriated when right, correct thinking people, take a stand against their racism and hatred, than that is a they problem.
CRT is hate
CRT is racism.
CRT there is no place for it in this country!

MLK was against hate
MLK was against racism
MLK was a Godly man!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1921258 01/23/22 11:35 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
The entire truth about our nations history isn't hate. It's truth. Whitewashing history by calling it hate is perpetrating we teach our children propaganda. You know, like they do in Russia and China. You and your kind propose we teach the white version of history.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
THROW LONG #1921269 01/23/22 12:08 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
MLK, would not, if he could, allow his name to be used to further hate, not even if that hate was directed against white people.

If people, get infuriated when people stand up against their hatred and racism, as is the case when people stand up against CRT,
Because standing against CRT, taking a stand against CRT is taking a stand against hatred and racism.

So if other people, get infuriated when right, correct thinking people, take a stand against their racism and hatred, than that is a they problem.
CRT is hate
CRT is racism.

MLK was against hate
MLK was against racism
MLK was a Godly man!

So you can make a rant post dropping CRT this and CRT that, with Fox talking points… But do you have a clue what CRT even is? What do the initials stand for, WITHOUT GOOGLING IT? Here is a link to a mostly impartial 100% true article about CRT. Please read it until you grasp it. It's one of the better articles I've read on the CRT debate, highlighting both conservative and liberal stances, while also discussing examples, the pros, the cons, and flaws of each as well as how it will impact us going forward.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/23/22 12:12 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Swish #1921281 01/23/22 12:28 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Swish
people like to take a single line of MLK's " i have a dream" speech and use that to justify their own seflish agenda.

i wonder if anybody on this board have actually heard the entire speech, or any of his other speeches and writings.

start at 29:50, cause i already some of you don't want to hear the truth about MLK's legacy. so listen to this speech of his, and then ask yourselves: have any of you ever told somebody to lift themselves up by their bootstraps?

i await the responses to my specific question, and why. cause everything MLK said their is 100% fact.

Socially, you are getting more progressive by the day. thumbsup Oh and that video destroys their arguments, so thanks for sharing. I learned a few things I probably forgot OR was never taught. wink

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/23/22 12:28 PM.

jfanent #1921286 01/23/22 12:58 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent
To answer your question.....yes I have, but not in those exact words. I've told people (when warranted) to get their crap together, to stop wallowing in their own self pity and to stop blaming others for their misfortune. I also pointed out and assisted them in using the resources available to help them do just that. Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge and a small accomplishment to realize they have the power to be successful. Fortunately, I am in a position to see many success stories of people who have overcome great obstacles.

As far as this video goes, I find it appalling that people use snippets of MLK's speeches and writings for political gain....on both sides of the aisle. Youngkin, DeSantis and Trump using MLK as ammo against critical race theory is as disgusting as people committing crime in the name of Jesus Christ. It's moronic to think that this won't infuriate the opposition and people of color. Maybe that's what they're aiming for? I'm fed up with politics, I just don't care anymore. MLK was a brilliant radical, someone whose message was desperately needed to spearhead the equal rights movement, not to further political agendas.

MLK's message applies to a lot more than just the equal rights movement. It challenges us, as a people, to endeavor to treat each other better. It challenges us to see our nation through the eyes of oppressed Black American's experiences. He attempted to rid the world of a racial ugliness that could be the flaw in our democracy that eventually ends it. Seeing this twisted into justification for even more racism or racial ugliness, we concur, is moronic and infuriating. BUT, I have to say, this American attitude that when we get sick of something we can just be done with it is total BS. Turning your back on problems like this, ignoring or avoiding it, only helps spread it. I'm as disgusted as anyone, fed up and want to be done with the BS too. But I understand this is a critical time to be POLITICALLY ACTIVE, with one party willing to throw away democracy for their views and biases. I won't live in a fascist country, nor will I accept White Supremacy Politics or policies as an American National Standard. What the hell has happened to the right that we even have to be talking about crap like this? Just twenty years ago, both sides would be appalled at what the right has become today. So much idiocy has happened on the right in such a small window of time, it's no wonder why the average white American buys into the rights racial lies. Thinking you are under assault for being white in America, because minorities want a fair shake, is just nuts if you ask me.

Swish #1921299 01/23/22 01:40 PM
Legend
Legend
"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Still looking."

40YEARSWAITING #1921302 01/23/22 01:48 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Still looking."

The irony of you quoting that should be lost on nobody. Thanks for proving one of the points Swish made.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
40YEARSWAITING #1921308 01/23/22 01:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So are black people in America.

#gmstrong
40YEARSWAITING #1921314 01/23/22 02:12 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Still looking."

The content of your character has been weighed, measured, and found lacking, right here in PP. So, your wait is over.

THROW LONG #1921331 01/23/22 02:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

CRT is hate
CRT is racism.

MLK was against hate
MLK was against racism
MLK was a Godly man!

"“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn.”

-Martin Luther King Jr.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1921333 01/23/22 02:45 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
He can't comprehend those words.

Clemdawg #1921334 01/23/22 02:51 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not only are whites " not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance ", they're actively blocking attempts to educate their children about the topic by calling such education "hate".

#gmstrong
Swish #1921339 01/23/22 03:14 PM
Legend
Legend
It's exactly why I used the quote that I did. And I chose to use it in response to that particular post because context matters.

Last Saturday, I got this text from a very good friend:

"Please keep Black Folks lifted up in prayer this weekend as we endure butchered MLK quotes from those who would rather see us dead.
It's very exhausting. And we deserve better."

PitDAWG #1921343 01/23/22 03:43 PM
Legend
Legend
they're actively blocking attempts to educate their children about the topic by calling such education "hate".

To which I'd say:
"If this child was strong enough to survive it, your child is strong enough to learn about it."

[Linked Image from timeforkids.com]

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
OldColdDawg #1921430 01/23/22 09:40 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I can't understand why so many Black and Brown people are trying to get into the country. Don't they know how horrible it is for them here?

Dawg Duty #1921434 01/23/22 09:47 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
But they get to loot, vandalize, burn down property, sell children and drugs. And vote while they do it!

No Craps Given
Clemdawg #1921463 01/23/22 10:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Even that iconic Illustrator of Middle Americana, Norman Rockwell agrees with me.
...and he did it on one oil-on-canvas panel. He entitled his opus:

"The Problem We All Live With."

He created this work in 1964.

It is not a large piece of work. It's roughly 3' X 5'. But it precisely captures an historic moment when Human Justice overcame tyranny. It was exactly as large as it needed to be, to express the artist's intent.

"And a little child shall lead them..."

Some White Americans actually got/get it.
If you won't listen to me and Swish, consider listening to someone who looks like you. They are actually out there. And they see what's been happening since Day One.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

1 member likes this: GMdawg
Dawg Duty #1921503 01/24/22 01:29 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Holy hell that’s a despicable conversation you have going there.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Duty #1921511 01/24/22 04:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
I can't understand...

Three words that explain all we need to know about you.

1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
dawglover05 #1921535 01/24/22 10:20 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by dawglover05

Considering the source, it’s on brand.

[Linked Image]
EveDawg #1921558 01/24/22 12:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sure glad white people don't do that. And then there's mass shootings.....

#gmstrong
PortlandDawg #1921569 01/24/22 12:45 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Originally Posted by dawglover05

Considering the source, it’s on brand.

I see a lot of snarky replies But no answers.

I'm disappointed I didn't get a rofl emoji from Pit. that's what he uses when he can't answer.

Swish #1921575 01/24/22 01:13 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My observation was not snarky. You stated that people - with a rational inference to African and Latinx decent from third world countries - want to come to this country as a presumed justification that there should be a contentment with the current state of affairs.

Eve then responded with a generalization that the same group of people you mentioned are looters, rioters, property burners, who sell drugs and children. I would widely posit that a great majority of people would find that type of conversation between - what I presume to be two white people - to be despicable.

You didn't ask a question, by the way - but to give you an answer, if you are earnestly seeking one (which I highly doubt you are) - I do not think the atrocities and poor situations of migrants coming to this country justify our own shortfalls, nor should it ever mean that people should just be happy with a situation where institutional inequality exists, nor should it mean that we as a whole should look at improving ourselves.

The greatness of our country does not come from saying "At least we're better than than other countries." Our greatness comes from resetting our own bar and constantly challenging ourselves to be greater than we already were. We have been struggling - if not worsening - in that sector lately.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Duty #1921586 01/24/22 02:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what I use when a post is so stupid it doesn't deserve a reply.

#gmstrong
dawglover05 #1921591 01/24/22 02:11 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some people these days think that trying to overthrow our elections and being no better than third world countries are now the standards we should compare ourselves to.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Swish #1921600 01/24/22 02:42 PM
Legend
Legend
This is not surprising. I've watched people on both sides of every political argument do this with the Bible for decades.

I have watched and listened to the dream speech several times and watched multiple others online. Watching them is much better than reading transcripts.

have any of you ever told somebody to lift themselves up by their bootstraps?
Yes, but usually it was somebody who was experiencing a temporary setback in life, not somebody who had never owned a pair of boots. Though I will admit that my opinions on this have shifted significantly over the last 15-20 years, thanks in no small part to my conversations with good folks like you and clem and a few others.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1921626 01/24/22 04:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have stopped looking at people solely by race, as I have found that it really does not matter as much as their character...

Southern California is a much more diverse area, and our office is pretty much a cultural collage of ethnicity.

Good or Bad is not defined by race, and it is over simplistic to view it that way.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

PitDAWG #1921639 01/24/22 05:26 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You and Portland are pretty tough computer guys.

Dawg Duty #1921665 01/24/22 08:17 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Pit will have a meet up with you. Since you want to insinuate that they are cowards… And don't try that with me.

Dawg Duty #1921751 01/25/22 12:17 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You and Portland are pretty tough computer guys.

Sounds like you're the one trying to be. I've always been one to say what I think in person as well as on a computer. Better luck next time.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus MLK

Link Copied to Clipboard