Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's unfortunate.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You seem to tend to speak for 12 jurors in every case. That's not the way it works. Jurors decide verdicts and the weight the evidence holds or does not hold is at their sole discretion. These are civil cases. All you need to do is convince a jury something is more likely than not to have happened. 22 witnesses claiming the same type of incident was perpetrated by the same defendant will certainly be a strong factor considered by a jury in a civil case. Unless of course you actually believe watson's defense can undermine the character of all 22 women in the eyes of a jury.

I know that. I am glad you finally understand.

In any event, they will still need evidence and more than their word.

For every person on the jury who thinks like you and has their mind made up, there will be as many or more who need to see some proof before ruling for the plaintiff(s).

Some of us take things seriously and believe in the premise that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

In the end, it is probably headed towards a settlement. It's what Watson needs. The what the girls and their attorney want.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Along these lines, I think the defense will have a much better chance of winning a trial if they can take one at a time. Unless the prosecuting side is allowed to "cross pollinate" between different cases/trials, it would be easier for the defense to poke holes in stories if they're tried one at a time.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
I feel very conflicted by recent events with the Browns. Like you, I'll still watch, but I doubt I'll care very much about the outcome. I even realize there's a "flaw" in my approach to my fandom. Its probably naive as hell, but I kind of need to like a player to root for them. Maybe it was willful ignorance up until now, but I can't get past this guy's alleged behavior. If people want to call that virtue signaling, or me being on my high horse, I don't care. Where is it written that we check our ethics at the door to be a Browns' fan?

This is where I'm at. I'll add that I feel really dumb. I don't know if he's guilty or not, but if he is I'm going to feel very conflicted between accepting/condoning what he did in the name of my fandom... and that makes me feel dumb because NFL is just grown men playing a game (at the end of the day).

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You seem to tend to speak for 12 jurors in every case. That's not the way it works. Jurors decide verdicts and the weight the evidence holds or does not hold is at their sole discretion. These are civil cases. All you need to do is convince a jury something is more likely than not to have happened. 22 witnesses claiming the same type of incident was perpetrated by the same defendant will certainly be a strong factor considered by a jury in a civil case. Unless of course you actually believe watson's defense can undermine the character of all 22 women in the eyes of a jury.

I know that. I am glad you finally understand.

In any event, they will still need evidence and more than their word.

For every person on the jury who thinks like you and has their mind made up, there will be as many or more who need to see some proof before ruling for the plaintiff(s).

Some of us take things seriously and believe in the premise that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

In the end, it is probably headed towards a settlement. It's what Watson needs. The what the girls and their attorney want.

Do you really think any of us others wants a unfair verdict or that we want that he will be buried with hate and shame if he’s totally innocent. Honestly?

I have daughters who’re both older and younger then Deshaun and every time I write about his situation on this board I’m torn between what’s right or wrong when sharing my thoughts. It’s impossible to have a strong opinion without being intellectual dishonest in one way or another. Either we’re legally correct, and that’s perfectly ok, or we take the morally right direction but expose our self against arguments like “legally innocent until proven guilty”.

There is no perfect solution that covers all angles because it’s so much more then just legal technicalities or just having conflicted moral doubts.

The more I read and think about this the more I land in a standpoint that a financial settlement is the best sweet spot to move on without creating more controversy. Then when it’s done we all have to live with that there is no perfect verdict, no perfect solution or a happy ending to this. We’re all winners and losers in our arguments and conclusions.

This is a young black man with all the shameful history of injustice and double standards that follows men with his background. Don’t believe for a second that I’m not aware of this and that’s trouble me. Would I have judged Baker the same way? Trying to put blame on Deshaun Watson without any “hard” proof and only rely 22 women’s testimony doesn’t make sense, but the opposite that not believe in these women doesn’t make sense either.

Legally guilty or not my feelings are the same and I simply don’t want to end up in a position where I must chose. That’s why a settlement is also my personal preferred solution.

O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, the legal side of the conversation and the moral/ethical conversation are almost two separate discussions, for a couple reasons.

Legally, a lack of evidence doesn't mean NOTHING happened.... and a sorta inverse of that is that just because there are 22 accusations doesn't mean he's guilty (legal definition). On top of that, even if NONE of the lawsuits rises to the level that has him sweating in a courtroom, that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is cool with cheering him on on Sundays.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: Floquinho, Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
You and I obviously disagree that if several witnesses testify to watson's behavior and the character of those women can not be impeached, that won't convince a jury that watson is more likely guilty than not. Each witness is a form of evidence. That's the burden in a civil trial.

You seem to think that if say for example, 15 women whom the defense can show you no background that will convince you that nothing in their past makes their word questionable, jurors will not take that heavily into account. You along with others seem to think there needs to be some overwhelming body of physical evidence in a he said/she said civil suit. Evidence you already know does not exist.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry, I haven't read the conversation, just wanted to make a point.

During the owner's meetings it was reported that the league was really angry about the Browns/Watson contract being backloaded to allow him to not suffer financially if he is suspended THIS year. By kicking the can down the road, the league defeats that move. If they suspend him in a future season, it will cost him more than if they had gone with a standard contract.

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 04/12/22 09:43 PM. Reason: adjust wording

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Satire but not so far from the reality.......

Clause Voiding Guaranteed Money In Event Of Injury Sustained During Sexual Assault

CLEVELAND, OH—Stressing that the team needed to safeguard their financial interests should their new quarterback miss games, Cleveland Browns officials confirmed Monday that Deshaun Watson’s contract includes a clause voiding his guaranteed money in the event of an injury sustained during a sexual assault. “Like all NFL contracts, Deshaun’s includes language regarding typical club protections, including our right to withhold payments should he miss game time due to hurting himself by engaging in a potentially hazardous activity, like basketball, skydiving, or forcibly abusing someone,” said Browns general manager Andrew Berry, adding that the team didn’t want to be on the hook for Watson’s $230 million salary if he breaks his hand punching a woman. “We’re excited to have a player of Deshaun’s caliber leading our football team, but we also need our players to put the team first, and refrain from participating in any off-the-field activities that carry risks, like riding a motorcycle or restraining a massage therapist. What if he experiences a head or eye injury because he’s locked a woman inside a room and is holding her down and she injures him trying to flee? What if he strains his groin trying to force a woman’s hand to touch his penis? That’s something that we as the Cleveland Browns organization need to protect ourselves from. We understand that players have lives and aren’t going to stop doing everything they want, but they need to know that these activities can carry financial consequences.” When reached for comment, Watson’s agent, David Mulugheta, said that he strongly advised his client against landing in hot water with the team by posting any Instagram pictures of himself skiing, riding a moped, or committing sexual assault.

https://www.theonion.com/deshaun-watson-s-contract-includes-clause-voiding-guara-1848795168

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Hah!
I often wonder just how far from satire the Onion really even is these days

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nothing like having your favorite team drug through the onion patch. How embarrassing as a fan.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Watson trade off the field III

Link Copied to Clipboard