This is my favorite part of football. Hit youtube link

O
Legend
Legend
O
Watson: "It starts with the run game"
Warner: "... and then you got those 2 TEs"
NFL (thinking about the rest of the Browns roster): "Oh dear God..."

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Excellent video. I hope the refs will allow a Watson thread w/just football talk.

I'm very excited to finally have a qb that makes good reads pre-snap and can also read coverages. For years, we have had to listen to our WRs, such as OBJ, not being in the right place. That was such a ludicrous argument. As anyone can see, the receivers have options on their routes. Usually three choices. Our qb was terrible at reading coverages and unable to throw w/anticipation. That is no longer the case. I would not put Watson in the class of guys like Drew Brees in regards to recognizing defenses pre-snap and reading coverages post-snap, but he is pretty damn good at it. He certainly a huge upgrade from Baker in that regard.

There are more things I want to talk about w/Watson, this supporting cast, and scheme, but I'll wait to see if the thread gets hijacked or not.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I watched about half of it (until he started working at the board)... and I didn't see a single snap with Watson under center. Thoughts (re: Chubb/Hunt/our run game)?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This video points out the importance of communication between qb and receivers.

There are many nuances. What can seem like a simple play can actually be very complex. Route precision off the option can lead to completion or incompletion.

The Browns roster is not yet set. However, the addition of Cooper means a lot. He is an excellent route runner. That experience is priceless.
Jarvis brings that as well. DPJ has come a long ways for a guy selected where he was. But it would be nice to add that vet.

Berry is working. IMO he is all over chemistry in the passing attack. My interest is where the Browns are going as a team not where we have been.

Last edited by bonefish; 04/06/22 10:20 AM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s relevant here…

Doing a little looking, Watson’s record against the AFCN…
Bengals 1-1
Browns 2-1
Steelers 0-1
Ravens 0-2

I threw out the Browns’ games stats as I was only looking at common AFCN opponents.
Watson’s stat line against the AFCN is as follows…

In the 5 games he’s plays our foes he’s gone 101/149 which is a 67% completion rate. He’s thrown for 1157 yards, equating to 231.4 yards per game. He’s thrown 6 TDs to his 3 interceptions.

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Of note, Watson's stats are with his supporting cast with Texans....all indications are he's coming to a WAY BETTER offensive team. Stats don't lie, but close observation/judgements must be made. Watson or Baker....not close.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I watched about half of it (until he started working at the board)... and I didn't see a single snap with Watson under center. Thoughts (re: Chubb/Hunt/our run game)?

Chubb averages more yards per carry from shotgun than under center.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s relevant here…

Doing a little looking, Watson’s record against the AFCN…
Bengals 1-1
Browns 2-1
Steelers 0-1
Ravens 0-2

I threw out the Browns’ games stats as I was only looking at common AFCN opponents.
Watson’s stat line against the AFCN is as follows…

In the 5 games he’s plays our foes he’s gone 101/149 which is a 67% completion rate. He’s thrown for 1157 yards, equating to 231.4 yards per game. He’s thrown 6 TDs to his 3 interceptions.

Let's take a quick look at some context. In the 2020 game against Baltimore, the Ravens ended with a ~10 minute advantage in time of possession. There's not a lot Watson can do from the sideline. His defense forced zero turnovers, while Coutee lost a fumble. The only person with rushing yards not named Watson was David Johnson with 34 yards. The Ravens ran for ~230. Watson doesn't play defense.

In the game against Pittsburgh the next week, there was a ~13 minute difference in time of possession. Houston had 29 rushing yards. Pittsburgh had 169 rushing yards. The Texans' defense once again forced no turnovers. It's hard for a QB to win a game from the bench.

The 2020 Texans defense was 27th in Points allowed and forced the least Turnovers in the NFL by a large margin with only 9 the entire season. The Texans had only 1466 rushing yards on the season, second fewest in the NFL. Watson had 444 of those yards on the ground. (all numbers from pro-football-reference.com)

He should get a lot more help from the defense and running game here.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
QB won/loss record is irrelevant. I also don’t see how a 2019 41-7 loss to Baltimore, when they had a completely different defense, is relevant to Watson’s future performance when he’s on a completely different team.

Legend
Legend
I agree/w this. QB W/L record really isn’t a great indicator of their performance, especially when they have such poor talent along the OL and key areas.

Kinda like a pitcher’s W/L record.

He’s going to have the best team he’s ever had this year, granted he isn’t suspended

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm an old fart now but I still love to learn. Loved that session. For me it was the closing discussion about after making the throw to look around at other routes/WRs and see what is going on and put that in the bank for possible use in the near future. I really never thought of that before - I mean it happens and you see and mostly rely on you WRs communications but to actually do it yourself as a QB is excellent. I don't coach anymore. If I start walking again I hope to coach again, play golf again. first things first - Walk more than just from the couch to the bathroom which is a struggle right now. Percocet helps me so much. Sorry didn't mean to get into that TMI zone. but thanks for listening...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
QB won/loss record is irrelevant. I also don’t see how a 2019 41-7 loss to Baltimore, when they had a completely different defense, is relevant to Watson’s future performance when he’s on a completely different team.

If the w/l record for a QB was so important then we could have just gone after Jimmy G.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wishing you well in your recovery, tab.

One of the on the field things that I want to focus on w/Watson is something that I think that some fans overlook. Quarterbacks can look good when they have all day to throw, have open receivers, have a coach who schemes to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses, have a running game and a play caller that puts them ahead of the chains, are not relied upon to win games in crunch time, etc.

However, there are only a handful of QBs who can actually elevate the play of their supporting cast. They can make poor receivers look acceptable, average receivers good, etc. They can overcome a poor play call w/their ability to improvise. They can overcome a great defensive play call with their quick recognition of what is transpiring on the field. They can overcome being behind the chains and either pass or run for a first down on 3rd and long, which obviously extends drives. They can put their team on their back in the clutch, while others have sweaty palms and tight backsides in those situations. They can somehow rise to the moment. Nowhere was that more on display than in the Buffalo/KC playoff game this past year. Incredible performances by two great QBs.

I bring this all up because I believe the Browns now have that QB. Watson has all of those positive traits that I was speaking of. I also believe the Browns FO and coaching staff realized the same thing and that is why they are sticking their necks out and emptying their wallets to acquire Watson. He is a difference maker.

Later, I would like to talk about how Watson is going to be a good fit in our current scheme, which in my mind is among the best in the entire NFL.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I only posted his stats as a point of conversation. Of course I understand he’s not playing with the Texans’ squad anymore.
I wasn’t posting it as a condemnation or as a praise. I was just curious how he’d fared against the AFCN up to this point in his career. So I did the research, and shared the results.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Same boat here, Eo. Hope you do great. May each day be better than yesterday. Painkillers are not a food group. Be as well as possible, and fight the good fight!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I agree/w this. QB W/L record really isn’t a great indicator of their performance, especially when they have such poor talent along the OL and key areas.

Kinda like a pitcher’s W/L record.

He’s going to have the best team he’s ever had this year, granted he isn’t suspended

I have said for years if a QB throws for 400 yards and 4 TDs, the last TD with 50 seconds left on the game to go ahead 38-34 and the defense gets torched for a last minute score and loses 41-38, he does not get credit for a game winning drive. If the defense picks off a pass for the win, the same QB gets credit for a last minute game-winning drive and is hailed wihtout doing anything differently. A lot of Qbs get reputations for being 4th quarter gamers. Two years ago when Baker beat Cincinnati with 11 seconds left on the pass to DPJ, he was hailed. Joe Burrow , who completed a go ahead TD pass with less than a minute to go in the same game (at least I think is was less than a minute) gets very little mention. I think wins are not always the best way to determine that. If QB wins by 17 points but the D forces 3 TOs, 2 of which lead directly to TDs and special teams block a punt or returns a kick for a TD, the QB could play a very pedestrian game, but hey, he won the game.

Referring to the "drive game" the Browns held Elway's offense to 13 points for 55 minutes. IF Bernie had produced and the lead was 28 or 31-13 Elway leaves that game a loser. Dam Marino never won a Super BOwl and only played in one IIRC, but he was amazing. JUst soem thoughts I have always had on QBs and how they are looked upon.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Watson: "It starts with the run game"
Warner: "... and then you got those 2 TEs"
NFL (thinking about the rest of the Browns roster): "Oh dear God..."

It’s funny, too, because the RBs featured in that film were 2 RBs that we let go of to focus on the ones we currently have.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That video was awesome. I LOVED how he was able to breakdown his processing of each of the plays. He was challenged by Kurt, but had a response for every question with great description of his reading of the defense in each situation. Impressive.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
What stood out to me, is how fast he processed things. The second, was his ball placement. His intelligence was evident, and you can tell he puts in the time to study film, and understands what he is seeing. One other thing I noticed, was the ease in which he throws the ball. It looks effortless. I got a feeling, him and cooper are going to work good together. I also see Njoku being used way more than ever before. This guy is the real deal.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I agree. His release looks easy. He has that kind of smooth movement overall. His last season was exceptional.

And that team was not a good team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M

I think that's an outstanding article. Not only does it show how hard it is to land a FQ in the draft ... if also has a pretty fair review of Baker's situation. Asterisk is fair.

Watson is probably a little clearer than the asterisk that he has been assigned - guy is a top 4 or 5 QB in the NFL with the caveat :

IF he plays well in cold weather, which is still a legit question because his past performance in bad weather has not been as consistent/great as elsewhere.
IF he steps right in and plays to the same level he appeared to be playing at before sitting out a year. Everyone should fully expect him to - but there is some small risk.
IF the civil cases against him don't somehow impact his career more significantly than say a 6-10 week ban.
IF he doesn't repeat his antics in Houston and decide he no longer wants to play for the Browns. I'd think as long as the Browns are winning and showing competency this shouldn't be a factor, but again, there is a small risk that needs to be acknowledged.

Purely from a draft capital perspective and talent acquisition perspective - I think looking at the article shows that Watson comes relatively "cheap" provided all the small risks don't have a more significant impact than they apparently should.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The following is a really good article from PFF on just how good Watson was the last time he played in the NFL. You won't be able to view the videos, but it is still a great read for those who like to talk about football.

Galina: Why Deshaun Watson was the NFL's best quarterback in 2020

By Seth Galina
Feb 15, 2021
As much as we all try to separate the performances of different positions from their teammates in order to isolate production, players with stronger surroundings will always fare better than those without.

We’ve spent the past month praising Aaron Rodgers for his MVP 2020 season and bowing down to Tom Brady for his playoff run to a seventh Lombardi Trophy. And why shouldn’t we? Those two were the highest-graded quarterbacks of the entire 2020 season. They deserve praise. One could even argue that Rodgers’ season was one of the great quarterback campaigns of the PFF era (since 2006).

Of course, both signal-callers played on teams that allowed them to showcase their talents. Brady’s Buccaneers happened to boast a top-five defense to continually keep him ahead of the game in terms of field position and game state. Plus, he had the best receiving corps in the league.

Rodgers was given opportunities to find open receivers via Matt LaFleur’s wide-zone and play-action scheme, and he had arguably the best receiver in the league in Davante Adams. It’s hard to go back and look through the list of the great quarterback seasons of the past 15 years and find examples where quarterbacks did not have other elite factors going in their favor.

That’s why I’m ready to make the argument that Deshaun Watson was not only the best quarterback of 2020, but also that he had the best season of the past 15 years — and maybe ever.

Absolutely nothing went the Texans' way last year, and Watson still routinely played at an elite level. Former Houston head coach and general manager Bill O’Brien traded his team's best receiver, yet Watson played better than ever before. O’Brien was fired midseason, but it didn’t phase the quarterback. He played with a terrible defense, a terrible running game and no star receivers and put up the 19th-best regular-season passing grade of the PFF era (91.2). He’s one of 29 quarterbacks to finish a regular season with a 90.0-plus passing grade.

Those 29 quarterback seasons are generally regarded as the greatest individual campaigns of the past 15 years. Tom Brady’s 2007, Peyton Manning’s 2013 and Patrick Mahomes’ 2018 are all included in this group alongside Watson’s 2020.

Better surrounding factors allow a quarterback to stay away from negative plays. Being down in games forces the quarterback to attempt more difficult passes. Not having a running game puts the quarterback in more ominous down and distances. Not having receivers who can separate forces the quarterback to hold on to the ball.

And yet, Watson torched the league despite having nothing going in his favor.

We can start with the overall records for each of those 29 quarterbacks. If a signal-caller is having an elite year, chances are his team is doing well. Twenty-six of the 29 quarterbacks’ teams won at least 10 games that season. The quarterback is the most important factor, but you can assume that other factors were involved to get to that plateau of wins.

Twenty-eight of the 29 quarterbacks’ teams finished the season at .500 or above. The only team to finish below that threshold is the 2020 Houston Texans and their four wins. Better quarterback play has resulted in wins more often than not. Watson, even while being a part of this elite club, did not have any team support.

For starters, he didn’t have much of a defense. The Texans finished 31st in defensive expected points added per play in 2020. Only the 2006 Indianapolis Colts defense was worse from a league ranking perspective, as they finished 32nd the year that Manning carried them to a Super Bowl win.

Worst defense EPA ranks among 29 QBs with 90+ season grade in PFF era
QB Defense EPA Rank
25. Tom Brady, 2011 28th
26. Patrick Mahomes, 2018 28th
27. Andrew Luck, 2016 29th
28. Deshaun Watson, 2020 31st
29. Peyton Manning, 2006 32nd
Watson is also part of a group of 10 players who notched 90.0-plus passing grades despite their defenses finishing below 20th in the league in EPA. Philip Rivers’ 2010 season in San Diego topped the list, as the Chargers' defense finished second in the league that season.

The Texans also couldn’t run the ball. They finished 31st in 2020 in EPA per rushing play. The next worst unit was the 2019 Seattle Seahawks, who finished 28th in the league while Russell Wilson still produced a 90.0-plus grade. In fact, in 17 of the 29 seasons, the rushing EPA per play of the elite quarterback's team was in the top half of the league. At the top is Manning's 2007 Colts rushing attack, which finished first that year.

When it comes to surrounding talent in the passing game, Watson doesn’t fare as poorly but does find himself in the bottom-third in a couple of categories. The Texans' team pass-blocking grade ranked 19th among the 29 seasons. Aaron Rodgers’ 2014 season was at the top with a 92.1 team pass-blocking grade. And unsurprisingly, Rivers’ 2018 season was at the bottom with a 59.7 cumulative grade.

The 2020 Texans team receiving grade was 20th in this group. Andrew Luck’s 2016 season saw the Colts finish with a 75.5 receiving grade, the lowest in the sample, while the 2016 Falcons and Matt Ryan’s great season finished at the top.

From a macro scheme perspective, we can look at play-action rate and screen rate to see how protected these quarterbacks were. Play-action passes, whether they be RPOs or otherwise, tend to define the reads for a quarterback and create distractions for defenders that a regular dropback does not.

PFF has play-action data going back to the 2012 season, and Watson again comes in pretty low. For this, I used league rank in terms of percentage of throws that were off play action because of how play-action rates have risen throughout the NFL over time. The 2020 Texans sat at 28th in the league this season in play-action rate. Only Brady’s 2020 season and Ben Roethlisberger’s 2015 season were lower relative to the league at the time. The 2016 Falcons finished first in the NFL in play-action rate that year.

PFF's screen data goes back to 2011, and it provides similar results. Watson’s Texans placed 21st in the league in screen rate — 17th-lowest of the 23 players in this selection. Rodgers' 2020 season had him throw the second-highest rate of screens in the league, while Rivers’ 2018 was last at a league rank of 29th that year.

Watson’s 2020 season is at or near the bottom in almost all team categories. River’s 2018 campaign is rough from a scheme and offensive line perspective, but he played with a top-10 running game and defense. Luck’s 2016 season and Wilson’s 2019 campaign are almost as rough as Watson’s 2020.

A big part of PFF grades is the opportunity to have negative plays. If you are 2007 Tom Brady throwing to Randy Moss, your opportunity for negative plays is small. If you are 2016 Matt Ryan, who is not being asked to perform straight dropbacks often, your opportunity for negative plays is smaller. Rodgers playing behind David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga and Corey Linsley in 2014 limited the pressure he faced, and therefore, there was less of a chance to have a negative play.

It’s not to say those seasons aren't great — they are, undoubtedly — but Watson’s season, without any semblance of team help and still grading at that incredible level, might be the most impressive.

I’m less concerned with the supposed scheme issues than the talent surrounding Watson. The complaints about lack of play-action chances are definitely founded in reality. With Bill O’Brien coming from coaching Tom Brady, that’s the scheme he brought with him to Houston. No one complains when Brady’s coaches don’t call play action enough for him, because he can drop back and complete passes without it at an elite level.

That’s what happened with Watson this year. He didn’t need play action. Watson was the third-highest graded passer without play action, screens and RPOs this season, behind only Rodgers and barely behind Mahomes. Could the Texans have gone away from the “all-stick route” offense? Maybe, but Watson was playing at such an elite level that he was getting completions on any concept drawn up for him. These macro scheme complaints don’t really hold up when talking about the elite players in the game. Does Jared Goff need play action? Yes. Did Watson require it? No.

Did this stop me from making the same complaint? Also no.

Watson has always had this level of play in him, but like so many other quarterbacks, performing at such a level for an entire season proved difficult over his first three years in the league. Specifically, Watson's floor games of past seasons completely vanished in 2020. Over the first three years of his career, Watson had 12 games where his passing grade dipped under 60.0. He had no such games in 2020. And getting his turnover-worthy play percentage down to 2% from 3.6% in 2019 was part of that.

In the Texans' Week 3 matchup against the Steelers, Watson engineered a superb two-minute drill that showed everything he’s about right now. The Steelers would end the season ranked second in defensive EPA per play, and Watson tore them up. Getting the ball back with 1:14 left in the first half at their own 25, the Texans took five plays to get into the endzone, with Watson going a perfect 5-for-5.

We start with a quick hitch route to Brandin Cooks. Watson really could throw to either tight end Darren Fells or Cooks. On this concept, with the cornerback off, you are reading the first low defender. He immediately buzzes outside, which opens the throw to Fells, but Watson never believes he can get out fast enough to get under Cooks' route, either. He throws as soon as he finishes the end of his drop and puts the ball on Cooks' outside shoulder, where it should go.

On throws that we chart and bucket as “stick” throws, Watson’s adjusted completion percentage jumped from 76% over the previous two seasons to 92% this past year. His grade on those attempts was good enough for second-best in the league. He took what was given to him and kept the chains moving.

The Texans try to start picking up chunk yardage, so they call their sail concept hoping to find Randall Cobb in some space. The Steelers end up in Cover 3, but with the flat defender getting wide immediately off the snap, Cobb settles into the void instead of staying on the run to the sideline. The read for Watson is to quickly check if the outside receiver can win on his deep route and then to read that same flat defender for a high/low with Cobb and the running back.

Again, with the flat guy so wide, it creates space for Cobb to sit into. Watson reads it the same way and delivers into the void. He hammered Cover 3 this season to the tune of a 93.0 grade, which ranked second-best in the league during the regular season.

The Steelers are starting to get nervous and show like they are going to pressure Watson and play man coverage behind it. They end up rushing only four while playing man with a low-hole defender. Watson is looking to his right early in the drop and sees the player covering Fells run and open a window for Cooks on the in-breaking route.

The problem is that the Texans' offensive line has trouble picking up a stunt along the line of scrimmage, forcing Watson to come off his spot. When he’s ready to throw again, it looks like that low-hole defender spooks from throwing to Cooks, so he takes off into an opening and gets outside the pocket before finding Fells on the sideline for another first down.

Plays like this are where Watson really took his game to another level. We’ve always known he can move around outside the pocket, but he was throwing dimes when on the run in 2020. His grade improved from 67.6 on “scramble drill” plays in 2018 and 2019 to 94.5 this season, which led the league.

Again, the Steelers decide to blitz and play man coverage. Watson opens his dropback by looking to his right, but the man coverage on his wide receiver and the outside leverage on Fells by Cameron Sutton eliminates those two routes.

Watson moves his eyes to the left and finds Cobb again, this time on an in-breaking route, for another first down. Watson has always been good at these throws we chart as “horizontal leads.” He produced the third-highest grade in the league on these types of throws beyond 10 yards. He also led the league in the regular season on throws that we chart as “next read” — where his eyes had to work back across the field.

The touchdown throw is a beautiful drop in the bucket to Will Fuller V. The Steelers are showing man to man with one-high safety before the snap, and as long as that safety doesn’t fly over to the sideline, Watson is going to take his shot to Fuller. In rhythm. Beautiful throw. Six points.

This was Watson the whole season, even if the wins and traditional box score stats didn’t come with it. He took his game to the next level, and it’s why whenever you see potential trade packages for him, the return is astronomical.

If this is who Deshaun Watson is going forward — not a one-hit wonder — there are maybe four teams in the NFL that don’t need to take a look at him. Watson was the best quarterback in the league in 2020, and he arguably had the best season from a signal-caller in the past 15 years.

2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, FATE
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is what PFF said about Watson before the start of last season when they were grading QBs.

5. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
Surrounded by the league’s second-least efficient running game and second-least efficient overall defense last season, Watson was arguably the best quarterback in the NFL. Couple that with the Texans trading away his top-five receiver and firing his head coach, and Watson clearly put the team on his back.

The most impressive thing about his 2020 campaign was how rarely he made mistakes in structure and how consistently he created positive plays out of structure. He played well from a clean pocket and under pressure while also taking care of the football. Watson had 42 big-time throws to only 14 turnover-worthy plays after making 27 turnover-worthy plays in 2019.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here are some of his passing numbers from 2020.

PASSING YARDS 4823

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS 33

INTERCEPTIONS 7

His numbers put him in the "Elite" category in PFF grading. His rushing grade was just Very Good. Passing grades were in the low 90s and rushing grade was upper 80s. That is incredible considering he did it w/such a poor team.

A
Legend
Legend
A
All I will say is he damn well better be elite.

I want no excuses if he's not. 230 million guaranteed. If he's not "elite", he sucks.

Gets injured? I don't care if he's playable....gets injured? He'd still better be elite. Gets suspended this year, or even next year? He'd better be elite.

No excuses.

I see people giving Jarvis excuses because of injury.

Nah, Watson best be elite, and not a crap pile that wants a new coach after 1 year.

Pressure is on Watson. Be elite. Anything less is a failure.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
All I will say is he damn well better be elite.

I want no excuses if he's not. 230 million guaranteed. If he's not "elite", he sucks.

Gets injured? I don't care if he's playable....gets injured? He'd still better be elite. Gets suspended this year, or even next year? He'd better be elite.

No excuses.

I see people giving Jarvis excuses because of injury.

Nah, Watson best be elite, and not a crap pile that wants a new coach after 1 year.

Pressure is on Watson. Be elite. Anything less is a failure.

I'm curious as to what you have seen in Watson's game that doesn't say he is elite? Do you think that so many teams were willing to give up 3 first round picks plus more for him despite the civil cases that are looming doesn't suggest that they think he is elite? I'm not fighting, but I didn't realize that folks were still wondering if he is elite or not. I thought the NFL world had already established that he was elite.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Operative word: Was.

Translated, may have been.

He needs to put up. Aside from the guaranteed money, he needs to show it on the field. Period.

1 member likes this: mac
A
Legend
Legend
A
I should go a bit farther. Baker had a very good year, 2 years ago.

Watson hasn't been in the last year.

Baker got killed by some on here, despite his injuries. Fair enough, although stupid.

Watson gets 230 million, guaranteed, and he hasn't been in the nfl the last year, yet people are hyping him as the coming of Christ.

I guess we'll see, eh. Maybe this year, or maybe next year depending on the suspension that is more than likely coming.

However, I want no excuses if if stinks it up, whenever he might play. According to some, he's a perfect qb. We'll find out, if, when he plays. Again, don't make a damn excuse for him. If he's elite, he'll be elite.

V
Legend
Legend
V
However, I want no excuses if if stinks it up,

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will decide what my take is. Btw, no one had more excuses made for him than Baker. Have a nice night.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Incorrect, but you have a good night also.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Do you think that so many teams were willing to give up 3 first round picks plus more for him despite the civil cases that are looming doesn't suggest that they think he is elite?

How does anyone know if any of the other teams offered three 1'st round picks for him? We know several teams made initial inquiries. We know that at the end there were maybe four teams seriously in the running to get him. We have no idea if or how many of those teams actually stepped up and offered three first round picks. I guess the term "so many" varies from person to person.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In the Sporting News trade tracker: The Texans reportedly approved all trades prior to Watson meeting with teams, meaning that the Saints, Panthers, Browns, and Falcons all put together trade packages that meet Houston's asking price. Earlier in that thread, it was posted that it was made public that Houston's asking price was 3 first round picks.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: FATE, FL_Dawg, Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
So four teams then. And I must ask, did they meet the demand of three first round picks? I mean we all know watson had a do not trade clause. You're saying and claiming "meaning that teams" met that three first round licks asking price. The asking price isn't always what you get. It could just as easily mean those four teams were making offers the Texans were willing to accept and not that all of them offered three first round picks. It could have been a combination of picks and players for all any of us, including you know.

What Houston was asking was certainly well known. What these four teams were offering is not. You see, they also had to come up with teams that watson might be willing to be traded to. That tends to make your options far less than what you may be asking for. All we know is that four teams made offers good enough that Houston would have accepted their offer. Everything else is speculation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, I was watching Get Up one morning and Sheft, Graziano, and one other guy all said that those teams agreed to Houston's asking price.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Do you think that so many teams were willing to give up 3 first round picks plus more for him despite the civil cases that are looming doesn't suggest that they think he is elite?

How does anyone know if any of the other teams offered three 1'st round picks for him? We know several teams made initial inquiries. We know that at the end there were maybe four teams seriously in the running to get him. We have no idea if or how many of those teams actually stepped up and offered three first round picks. I guess the term "so many" varies from person to person.

The Texans stated their demands and said they would only trade to those teams who met the minimum trade criteria. Once they knew the teams that would, then they gave permission for teams and Watson to talk for him to decide which team he wanted.

Watson could void a trade but he couldn't force the Texans to trade him. Houston handed him the list of teams to whom they would agree to a trade.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Then I guess we're back to what one thinks "so many teams" means.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Watson’s by far biggest challenge will be to stay focused and not let outside noice affects him. No social media. No response to questions about his legal issues, just past it to his lawyer whenever he’s in a Browns uniform. The old saying that say let your performances do the talking is still the best advice for a high profile player in his position.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson Play Breakdown

Link Copied to Clipboard