Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
1 member likes this: guard dawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ok a little draft sleuthing - In our video of building the Browns we showed our coach acting as the DC for the Shrine game. In a snippet of his practice he went out of his way and told a player that he really was doing well and impressed.

This young man was #99 and had a Notre Dame helmet. I am pretty sure it was Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa. #95 at Notre Dame

It won't surprise me if we get him late rounds

We are signing Clowney???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wasn't able to figure out how to display Kevin Austin's RAS card. But the score is 9.96. He did have a choppy career at ND because of an injury early in his career. He missed some time again around 2019. For the past two years, he's been progressing. Otherwise, I don't see any obvious flaws in his game. This seems very much like a DPJ type of prospect to me.

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: guard dawg
B
Legend
Legend
B

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Thanks for posting that.

RAS score IMO is important. It may not show how a player plays. However, it does show their natural ability to play.

It is an important score to pay attention to.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Sign me up for Leo Chenal.... 250 lb Linebacker that flies like JOK and played at a Big10 school? Yeah, I'll take that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
T
Legend
Legend
T
But aren't there dozens of 250 lb linebackers that fly like the wind every year, and again every other year. I mean that is just the male athlete, athleticism, on it's own, can be found a lot of places, but the love of football, the success in football, and the little things can be camouflaged or disguised so that every athletic guy who hits hard looks the part, but isn't.
It's easy to find another guy who runs and hits. It harder to find the ones who know where to run and how to hit.

( I remember a news report from another city when a player was being cut and the reporter said, "He chose the wrong door and several others beat him onto the jet way as he boarded the plane to leave town."

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Sign me up for Leo Chenal.... 250 lb Linebacker that flies like JOK and played at a Big10 school? Yeah, I'll take that.

Think I'd rather go Brandon Smith from Penn State if that's the prototype you're looking for. Similar size and athletic profile, but longer and younger (though both only 21.) Smith looks more fluid in space to me. Maybe a bit less technically refined, but that's Penn State versus Wisconsin coaching. That and I think Chenal has more buzz, so a team can probably get Smith later.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Interesting.

I have not seen a thing on him. I will watch for him.

Every year someone slips through the cracks. Last year I wanted JOK. As the draft unfolded. I was shocked that he was getting passed over.

I never thought in million years that we would get him where we did.

I bet this year there will be someone in the second round on down that later all will think. How did this guy get past everyone?

The key is to be in a position to take on a player like JOK he had no obvious fit in any defense but could make any defense better, but how? That was the rub we could wait and see and develop to a point but most teams think in terms of perfect fits JOK wasn't that and yeah I would think similar chances will continue to come about.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am a big believer in value.

There could be some positions that Browns fans are not tracking. OT, Safety, linebacker, TE. Most are focusing on wide receivers and defensive linemen.

But if the team has a really high grade on a player and that position is not considered a need. Then your pick comes up and there is this guy sitting there.

Do you just take the highest guy at a position of need? I say no. Take the value pick.

Sure you want to address the need. Come back and do that. Don't turn down a player who is highly ranked because you want a different position.

1 member likes this: Brown to the Bone
B
Legend
Legend
B
I always say take the BPA unless you have absolutely zero need, no upgrades needed, and no room for another player in that position group, and that doesn't happen very often.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Experts like Belichick, Ozzie Newsome, and others have addressed that you draft for the long-term and not the short-term need. That is such a simple and logical way of looking at things. You are obviously going to make some mistakes in drafting, but it's best to build your program like you are going to be there forever. I think some teams make even more mistakes when the prioritize need over BPA because jobs [front office personnel and coaches] are on the line.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think BPA is a very good policy...I also think Need is a PART of the formula towards that calculation. The trick is obviously determining how much weight "need" plays into calculation. Vers makes a great point in drafting for the long term. Another part of that calculation. Depending on the weight you apply those parts of the calculation...the BPA on your board at the time of the pick may or may not be a position of need. I say you still take him. Top of your board.

I am a little confused Peen....In your situation...the team does not have any needs, etc....so why wouldn't they draft BPA in that situation?

It was mentioned concerning JOK that people were concerned how he would fit in their defense and that may have been one attribute of several that contributed to his slide. In thinking about the BPA calculation. Scheme is definitely a part of that. However, I do not think the Browns place a high of weight on that part of the calculation as other attributes. I really think that some of the attributes that have the highest weight are (in no particular order) past performance, physical floor/ceiling, and intangibles such as intelligence, being a football junkie, and coachability. I honestly think the "type" of player is higher on their board than "need"...This is especially seen in the later rounds. Need obviously carries some weight. Greg Newsome and other high picks demonstrate this...But in all honesty...I do think the other traits I mentioned are more important to them. And I think those traits are also higher on their scale than scheme. I think the Browns are more willing to adapt a scheme to players rather than the reverse. Scheme obviously is part of the calculation...I just don't think it is as weighty as other traits.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am a little confused Peen....In your situation...the team does not have any needs, etc....so why wouldn't they draft BPA in that situation?

Maybe i didn't explain it enough, or yeah, maybe you are just confused. wink

I did say it doesn't happen often, and may not apply this year. It can happen at QB. You have your clear #1 guy and your clear #2 guy is young, good, and under contract for a few more seasons. In a case like that you can say you have zero need. If it is a bit later in the draft, you are probably going to pass on selecting some QB who might be at the top of the board. If early in the draft, you are probably going to trade down and not select the QB.

On this team, I don't know if there is a position where we could say there is no need at any position, even QB. We have a clear #1 starter, but then we have 2 guys on 1 year deals and neither has distinguished themselves as a very good QB.

As you alluded to, draft board for teams aren't like looking at the PFF top 150 players. Teams also draft for impact. Impact might not be totally biased for a need but teams do like to get some impact out of drafted players. We may not need a guard, but if the right guy is there who can play better than one of the back-up, that impacts the overall quality of the team. When your team gets better, you are mostly drafting for back-ups and most every position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Sam Williams Edge
Josh Pashcal Edge
Jalen Tolbert WR
Rachaad White RB
Jelani Woods TE
Tariq Woolen (might not count as underrated anymore)

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am so high on Chris Olave that I think he is underestimated. I just hope he doesn't go to the Steelers or Ravens.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by BpG
I am so high on Chris Olave that I think he is underestimated. I just hope he doesn't go to the Steelers or Ravens.

Or any AFC team w/a good QB---and there a bunch of them.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The punter.

The Punter god. Matt Araiza.

There has not been a leg like his since Ray Guy.

This guy can change a field. He has punted a number of 80 yarders. It is nuts watching this guy.

I don't know about how good he is with placement ? But hang time is nuts as well.

It will be something to see where he is drafted.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He most certainly has a strong leg.
There are no videos showing him placing the ball.
Is that because his long kicks are so impressive or that he doesn't have any placement highlights?

The other issue is he takes two long steps.
I worry that in the pros he will be too slow to get the punt off and have too many blocked kicks.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Drake London WR USC

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Most underestimated draft prospect?

Link Copied to Clipboard