Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1942432 04/30/22 08:32 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I know that there will be a lot of replies about talking heads and blah, blah, blah. But, it's fun to grade drafts and is not intended to be taken as a "given." I pretty much agree w/a lot of this, especially teams like Baltimore, KC, Indy, New England, and the Rams.

2022 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams: AFC powers, Eagles are big winners

By Ryan Dunleavy
April 30, 2022 6:47pm Updated

Here are The Post’s immediate 2022 NFL Draft grades for every team, with a curve instituted for the first-, second- and third-round picks, and an emphasis on quality and value.

No. 1 Baltimore Ravens
Grade: A+

Key Picks: Kyle Hamilton (S, Notre Dame), Tyler Linderbaum (C, Iowa), David Ojabo (LB, Michigan), Travis Jones (DT, Connecticut), Daniel Faalele (OT, Minnesota)

Analysis: Forget positional value. The Ravens drafted four with first-round traits over the first 76 picks. Hamilton and Linderbaum were two of the easiest high-end evaluations, and they slipped to No. 14 and No. 25, respectively. Second-rounder Ojabo likely will miss his rookie season (torn Achilles).

2. New York Jets
Grade: A

Key Picks: Ahmad Gardner (CB, Cincinnati), Garrett Wilson (WR, Ohio State), Jermaine Johnson (EDGE, Florida State), Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State), Jeremy Ruckert (TE, Ohio State)

Analysis: No franchise is more synonymous with fans booing its selections. But the Jets drafted the top cornerback, top receiver, top running back and a top-four edge rusher on most boards. Past trades bore fruit by providing the assets to move up for Williams (No. 26) and Hall (No. 36).

3. Kansas City Chiefs

Key Picks: Trent McDuffie (CB, Washington), George Karlaftis (EDGE, Purdue), Skyy Moore (WR, Western Michigan), Bryan Cook (S, Cincinnati), Leo Chenal (LB, Wisconsin), Joshua Williams (CB, Fayetteville State)

Analysis: Can’t win shootouts forever, so the Chiefs were overdue to upgrade all three levels of defense. Mission accomplished with five of their first six picks, including the two first-rounders. Moore won’t be Tyreek Hill, but he’s destined for big numbers in that offense.

4. Philadelphia Eagles

Key Picks: Jordan Davis (DT, Georgia), Cameron Jurgens (C, Nebraska), Nakobe Dean (LB, Georgia)

Analysis: Notorious trade-fleecing GM Howie Roseman traded pick No. 18 for Pro Bowl WR A.J. Brown. He found ready-made replacements for aging Eagles greats in Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce, and he took the third-round injury risk on first-round talent Dean when others wouldn’t.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers
Grade: A-

Key Picks: Kenny Pickett (QB, Pittsburgh), George Pickens (WR, Georgia), DeMarvin Leal (DT, Texas A&M), Calvin Austin (WR, Memphis)

Analysis: Extensively studied all quarterbacks and got their top choice — the game-ready Pickett should make a seamless in-city adjustment — without trading up from No. 20. The Steelers have a long history of uncovering mid-round receiver gems. Leal was a preseason first-rounder who struggled.

6. Seattle Seahawks

Key Picks: Charles Cross (OT, Mississippi State), Boye Mafe (EDGE, Minnesota), Kenneth Walker III (RB, Michigan State), Abraham Lucas (OT, Washington State), Coby Bryant (CB, Cincinnati)

Analysis: Desperately needed a big draft. Only took trading QB Russell Wilson to get the offensive line upgrades he long desired. Could start two rookie tackles. If coach Pete Carroll wants to go back to ground-and-pound, he found the right back. Mafe and Bryant are Seahawks-type defenders.

7. Atlanta Falcons

Key Picks: Drake London (WR, USC), Arnold Ebiketie (EDGE, Penn State), Troy Andersen (LB, Montana State), Desmond Ridder (QB, Cincinnati), DeAngelo Malone (EDGE, Western Kentucky)

Analysis: Throw those red-zone fades after pairing leapers London and Kyle Pitts as the past two years’ first-rounders. Two pass-rushers in the first three rounds was smart. Stole the second quarterback, Ridder, at No. 74 to play a similar style to starter Marcus Mariota.

8. New York Giants
Grade: B+

Key Picks: Kayvon Thibodeaux (EDGE, Oregon), Evan Neal (OT, Alabama), Wan’Dale Robinson (WR, Kentucky), Joshua Ezeudu (G, North Carolina), Cordale Flott (CB, LSU), TE Daniel Bellinger (TE, San Diego State), Dane Belton (S, Iowa)

Analysis: GM Joe Schoen played the order of his first two picks shrewdly, getting Thibodeaux before the drop-off at edge when everyone assumed offensive tackle first. Neither Day 2 choice is a favorite to start on a team with a lot of holes, though. Bellinger and Belton addressed major needs.

9. Detroit Lions

Key Picks: Aidan Hutchinson (Edge, Michigan), Jameson Williams (WR, Alabama), Josh Paschal (Edge, Kentucky), Kerby Joseph (S, Illinois)

Analysis: The state of Michigan rejoiced when Hutchinson slipped to No. 2 overall. QB Jared Goff rejoiced at no threat to his job. Echoes of Detroit drafts gone by with a bold receiver pick, trading up 20 spots for the burner Williams (still sidelined by a torn ACL).

10. Indianapolis Colts

Key Picks: Alec Pierce (WR, Cincinnati), Jelani Woods (TE, Virginia), Bernhard Raimann (OT, Central Michigan), Nick Cross (S, Maryland)

Analysis: Maybe the best collective Day 2 haul, which was important without a first-round pick. Pierce and Woods should stretch the field for Matt Ryan, and the slightly older Raimann (24) is better than several tackles picked ahead of him.

11. Arizona Cardinals
Grade: B

Key Picks: Trey McBride (TE, Colorado State), Cameron Thomas (Edge, San Diego State), Myjai Sanders (Edge, Cincinnati)

Analysis: With the top six receivers off the board, the Cardinals traded No. 23 for WR Marquise Brown, who is reunited with his college QB, Kyler Murray. Took two swings at replacing departed free-agent pass-rusher Chandler Jones and grabbed the No. 1 tight end.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Key Picks: Logan Hall (DL, Houston), Luke Goedeke (G, Central Michigan), Rachaad White (RB, Arizona State)

Analysis: Not many starting jobs available here, but Hall — the first pick of the second round — fills one as long as Ndamukong Suh remains unsigned. Goedeke, a former tackle, could compete for another after the surprise retirement of Ali Marpet.

13. Buffalo Bills

Key Picks: Kaiir Elam (CB, Florida), James Cook (RB, Georgia), Terrel Bernard (LB, Baylor)

Analysis: This approach is just about slotting pieces into a championship-contending puzzle. Elam was a late riser who plays sticky man coverage. The Bills can’t keep counting on QB Josh Allen as their primary rusher, but Cook is more of a receiving playmaker than a bellcow.

14. Houston Texans
Grade: B-

Key Picks: CB Derek Stingley Jr. (CB, LSU), Kenyon Green (G, Texas A&M), Jalen Pitre (S, Baylor), John Metchie (WR, Alabama), Christian Harris (LB, Alabama)

Analysis: Made five of the first 75 picks, but went against the grain twice when taking the first player at two positions: Stingley over Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner and Green over Zion Johnson. Nick Caserio is another Patriots-raised GM who is going to raid Alabama coach Nick Saban’s talent cupboard.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars

Key Picks: Travon Walker (Edge, Georgia), Devin Lloyd (LB, Utah), Chad Muma (LB, Wyoming), Luke Fortner (C, Kentucky)

Analysis: After spending $265 million in free agency, took opposite strategies with two first-rounders: Big swing on the unproductive Tavon Walker’s athletic potential at No. 1 overall. Lloyd is a proven game-wrecker — and sleeper Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate — and will play alongside another rookie in Muma.

Travon Walker
The Jaguars welcome No. 1 overall pick Travon Walker.
AP
16. Minnesota Vikings

Key Picks: Lewis Cine (S, Georgia), Andrew Booth (CB, Clemson), Brian Asamoah (EDGE, Oklahoma), Ed Ingram (OG, LSU)

Analysis: Trading down with rivals Lions (Williams) and Packers (Watson) was a strange strategy. Using three of the first four picks on defense was not. The secondary is a major concern after recent draft failures at those spots.

17. Cincinnati Bengals

Key Picks: Dax Hill (S, Michigan), Cam Taylor-Britt (CB, Nebraska), Zachary Taylor (DT, Florida)

Analysis: Surprise! No offensive linemen with any of the first three picks, resisting the urge to trade up within range for either of the top two centers. Hill blitzes, covers the slot and patrols deep as one of the draft’s most versatile defenders.

18. Tennessee Titans
Grade: C+

Key Picks: Treylon Burks (WR, Arkansas), Roger McCreary (CB, Auburn), Nicholas Petit-Frere (OT, Ohio State), Malik Willis (QB, Liberty)

Analysis: Traded WR A.J. Brown and wound up with a Brown-comparison in the physical Burks. Raw talent Willis, a projected first-rounder who slipped to No. 86, is in a good spot because he can sit at least one season behind Ryan Tannehill. Rebuilding sooner than they want to admit?

SEE ALSO

Jets’ top picks need to mirror long-term success of 2000 draft class
19. Los Angeles Chargers
Grade: C+

Key Picks: Zion Johnson (G, Boston College), JT Woods (S, Baylor)

Analysis: Strategy has been the same in free agency and the draft for two years: protect Justin Herbert. The drop-off was steep after two guards — and the Chargers nabbed the second. Woods was a reach in a deep safety class.

20. Chicago Bears
Grade: Kyler Gordon (CB, Washington), Jaquan Brisker (S, Penn State), Velus Jones Jr. (WR, Tennessee)

Key Picks: C

Analysis: Think the Bears identified a weakness? After trading away what would’ve been No. 7 overall to get QB Justin Fields last season, they used their first two picks in the secondary. Jones boosts the return game, but what else does he provide?

21. Dallas Cowboys
Grade: C

Key Picks: Tyler Smith (OT, Tulsa), Sam Williams (OLB, Mississippi), Jalen Tolbert (WR, South Alabama)

Analysis: Dallas is going to Dallas. Boom-or-bust Smith continues the rebuild of the NFL’s best offensive line last decade. Red flags overlooked for Williams, who had a sexual battery charge dropped but can fill the pass-rush void after a free-agency mishap with Randy Gregory.

22. Denver Broncos

Key Picks: Nik Bonitto (Edge, Oklahoma), Greg Dulcich (TE, UCLA)

Analysis: Traded No. 9 overall and tight end George Fant as part of a bigger package for QB Russell Wilson. Dulcich is a fresh start and Bonitto provides pass rush — Von Miller didn’t come back in free agency — inside the NFL’s best QB division.

23. Green Bay Packers
Grade: C-

Key Picks: Quay Walker (LB, Georgia), Devonte Wyatt (DT, Georgia), Christian Watson (WR, South Dakota State), Sean Rhyan (OG, UCLA)

Analysis: Have not picked a first-round offensive weapon during QB Aaron Rodgers’ 17-season career. Bold trade up to get Watson early in the second round, after taking the pair from college football’s best defense. Walker was a one-year starter. Wyatt is a character concern.

24. Cleveland Browns

Key Picks: Martin Emerson (CB, Mississippi State), David Bell (WR, Purdue), Alex Wright (EDGE, UAB), DT Perrion Winfrey (DT, Oklahoma), Cade York (K, LSU)

Analysis: Strange trade from No. 44 down to No. 68 after not having a first-rounder. Out of the running for a lot of more promising receivers by the time their first of three third-round picks was made. Winfrey was Senior Bowl MVP.

25. Las Vegas Raiders

Key Picks: Dylan Parham (G, Memphis), Zamir White (RB, Georgia)

Analysis: Like when the bride and groom forget to eat at their own wedding, Las Vegas hosted a spectacular event but the Raiders only participated with one of the first 120 picks. A backup lineman and third-string runner?

SEE ALSO
bill belichick and cole strange
Patriots’ Cole Strange 2022 NFL Draft pick was so very Bill Belichick
26. Carolina Panthers

Key Picks: Ikem Ekwonu (OL, North Carolina State), Matt Corral (QB, Mississippi)

Analysis: Would’ve benefited more from trading down at No. 6 and drafting QB Kenny Pickett in the mid-first round. Instead paid a steep price to move up for Corral in the late third. The homegrown Ekwonu projects as a perennial Pro Bowler who could’ve gone No. 1 overall.

27. Miami Dolphins

Key Picks: Channing Tindall (LB, Georgia), Erik Ezukanma (WR, Texas Tech)

Analysis: Had to make the most of the fewest picks of any team in the draft (four). The rangy Tindall went a ways toward capitalizing.

28. New Orleans Saints

Key Picks: Chris Olave (WR, Ohio State), OT Trevon Penning (OT, Northern Iowa), Alontae Taylor (S, Tennessee)

Analysis: Increasing sense of urgency. Traded up from No. 16 to No. 11 after earlier trade for a second first-rounder. All that invested capital and no quarterback? Olave is productive without great hype. Penning has Terron Armstead’s big shoes to fill. Taylor produced a “Huh?”

29. San Francisco 49ers
Grade: D+

Key Picks: Drake Jackson (Edge, USC), Tyrion Davis-Price (RB, LSU), Danny Gray (WR, SMU)

Analysis: No pick in the first round gave the 49ers time to overthink their three Day 2 picks, the last two of which felt like reaches. Jackson’s success could depend on keeping his weight up. Still haven’t been able to find a trade partner for QB Jimmy Garoppolo.

30. Washington Commanders
Grade: D

Key Picks: Jahan Dotson (WR, Penn State), Phidarian Mathis (DT, Alabama), Brian Robinson Jr. (RB, Alabama), Sam Howell (QB, North Carolina)

Analysis: Credit for trading down for No. 11 to No. 16 before reaching for Dotson. Washington stayed put with its other two picks, and both Alabama stars felt like reaches, including the one-year starter Robinson.

31. New England Patriots

Key Picks: Cole Strange (G, UT-Chattanooga), Tyquan Thornton (WR, Baylor), Marcus Jones (CB, Houston), Bailey Zappe (QB, Western Kentucky)

Analysis: If any other coach/GM made these picks, he’d be ridiculed into the hot seat. Strange (No. 29) and Thornton (No. 50) both went two rounds earlier than their consensus grades. Jones is a dynamic offense/defense/special teams weapon. Who gets the last laugh?

What do you think? Post a comment.
32. Los Angeles Rams

Key Picks: Logan Bruss (OL, Wisconsin), Decobie Durant (CB, South Carolina State)

Analysis: No one values draft picks less than the Rams, who didn’t make their first until No. 104. At least coach Sean McVay produced a viral moment laughing when the Patriots picked.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Going to rant for a moment. Not only did Art take the Browns from us, but he took Ozzie Newsome who was as beloved and respected as any Brown I can remember. The guy was a tremendous team builder and excellent at managing the draft. The new GM, whose name escapes me, learned under Ozzie, and has continued to conduct marvelous drafts. I might be wrong, but it seems like Baltimore kills the draft every freaking year.

Legend
Legend
Ours is so hard to grade without a 1st round pick. Include Watson and its a different story.

I think we did a decent job on the surface. I felt like day 3 was our best in terms of value.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The trade down at #44 was an incredibly bad decision in my opinion. I get the value chart thing, but you had some guys w/extremely high grades available. To make matters worse, the Ravens selected Ojabo w/the very next pick. We are going to rue that decision for a long, long time.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I should add this..........I do get your point about adding Watson. We should not overlook that. Thanks for bringing that up.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The trade down at #44 was an incredibly bad decision in my opinion. I get the value chart thing, but you had some guys w/extremely high grades available. To make matters worse, the Ravens selected Ojabo w/the very next pick. We are going to rue that decision for a long, long time.
I agree w/this too. The trade was too far back, especially with so much value (or perceived value) on the board. I would have preferred to take Pickens or Ojabo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Draft grades… whatever. Does anyone check back on draft grades from previous years? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

That said, re the drop from 44, I think you just can’t take the analytics out of these guys. Everything I read in the last few days was that this draft’s value was tubby in the middle, rounds 3-5. So while there were some excellent picks to be had at 44 there was just more later and more picks in the “meat” of the value is the analytical thing to do. This was a year to just get more bites of the apple. My guess anyway.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Draft grades… whatever. Does anyone check back on draft grades from previous years?

I guess you could look at how some teams continue to win year after year and how their players perform and other teams and their players do not, even though the teams w/better records are drafting later than the others. Maybe start there?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I get the trade back, didn't think it was worth it myself. BUT what was dumbfounding was the first pick. He could have been had much later IMO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As of right now, the silliest thing that Berry has done was to trade/sign for Watson without having a place for Mayfield to land.

That makes the draft look terrible, as Mayfield was not turned into a choice.

And we have 2 more years of no first rounders.

When you consider that, F-

Especially when Garapolo is also available.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Denial.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It looks like this draft was geared toward the future
I don't see one player drafted that is going to make a immediate impact
On this team. Well maybe York
Not understanding why this front office Is reluctant to draft a WR in RDs 1 and 2.
Other teams understand the impact a WR drafted in RDs 1 and 2 can have
Just ask the Bengals.
The Browns continue to bargin bin shop for WRs. Bell isn't going to cost alot
Michael Woods will be a cheap pricetag.
The Browns window is closing for a SB run. Yet no urgency from Berry in this draft
Still waiting for the homers to declare this draft the best in all of the NFL

Last edited by Iluvmyxstripper; 04/30/22 09:40 PM.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Not sure why the KC love - was decent, but not all that.

Baltimore, Jets, Philly and Seattle did great overall. Houston and Jacksonville had solid drafts too

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seems about right.

I think that we passed over good talent (got cute) so that we could say that we ended up with future 4th and 5th round picks.

Pick 68 w/ Emerson I think was not only a reach, but I have my doubts that he will ever be able to cover any comebacks or curl routes, because he sure couldn't in College.

Then to add insult to injury ... we proceed to pay $2.25M to trade our slor CB for above mentioned 5th round pick.

Pick 78 was a good pick. but would have been redundant if we had taken an EDGE w/ #44.

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think the Troy Hill trades' influence on the decision to draft Martin Emerson has to be included.

For that reason alone, I think whatever grade you give the Browns 22 draft it must be at least slightly less than the Browns 2021 draft.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Didn't hate the trade back when I saw the value. Disappointed in the fact (mostly as a fan) that we were already without a 1st round pick, that made it seem a little odd to trade back.

At the end of the day, the trade back netted:

CB Martin Emerson
DT Perrion Winfrey
K Cade York

I saw more than a couple posters say they would have been fine with Winfrey at 44. I know damn well if he was drafted at 44, most comments would be "immediate starter at area of great need". So, in a sense, we "got our guy" (although we took a rather circuitous route to get it done lol), and added a couple more.

Maybe the F.O. looked at their board and knew they needed a few more stabs to get multiple players they wanted at great value?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked the draft picks. Reason is the Browns don't need any pro bowl players out of this class.

AB has been linked to finding good talent in the later rounds. I believe he did.

Solid players who seem to be tough, and in this division that's what the Browns have been lacking. Good solid tough players.

Fans set sites on who they like and if that player gets passed by, well we all know the feelings !

I like the picks !

The Browns have their starters, These guys will hopefully fill the spots as needed, and we all know having good back ups are as good as having good starters !

As the saying goes "you need competition to get the best out of a player "

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Going to rant for a moment. Not only did Art take the Browns from us, but he took Ozzie Newsome who was as beloved and respected as any Brown I can remember. The guy was a tremendous team builder and excellent at managing the draft. The new GM, whose name escapes me, learned under Ozzie, and has continued to conduct marvelous drafts. I might be wrong, but it seems like Baltimore kills the draft every freaking year.

You are absolutely correct. The Ravens pretty much kill it every year. They are some of the best in the league. Envious.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Not understanding why this front office Is reluctant to draft a WR in RDs 1 and 2.
Just ask the Bengals.
The Browns window is closing for a SB run. Yet no urgency from Berry in this draft

I guess trading for Coooper isn't evidence we value top receivers? I know some may not agree, but trading for players is the same as drafting players. You are bringing in new talent to your team. No matter the means, it is all the same IMO. As far as i am concerned, Cooper is a 5th round pick this year.

What would that do to our draft grade?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1942520 05/01/22 07:25 AM
Legend
Legend
There are many factors that have to be considered in the draft.

Especially when trades are involved. We traded 3 first rounders for DW. We traded a fifth for Amari Cooper.

We got two proven stars before the draft began. One the quarterback who is a top five quarterback. Cooper was the fourth pick in the first round and 2x pro bowler for a fifth rounder.

A++

The draft picks are nothing till they play. That goes for every player in the draft. Check back in three years.

You don't hand out grades in school for the year before class starts. Sorry. I know people like looking at grades but it makes no sense to me.

There will be players that we know nothing about who will become stars. There will be others who people believe will be stars that will not be stars.

Legend
Legend
Grade...... Incomplete

Check back in three years.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1942534 05/01/22 08:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Grade...... Incomplete

Yep Incomplete….it’s nearly impossible to give a decent grade for a few years. Especially this year.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I've seen grades of C- to A- for us. Who really knows? I'd give us a solid B for what it's worth and that doesn't include Deshaun.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I get much more out of "Offseason moves" rankings than I do for the draft.

Legend
Legend
We need an additional grade IMO. "Nasty" is what we have lacked. We need some Hacksaws. We got "out-nastied" in a few wars last year, some because of injuries, but some because of sheer difference in intensity. We have some intense newbies. A little psycho might be good for this D. I really don't care who wins us games or where BM ends up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Ballpeen #1942547 05/01/22 09:38 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Just ask the Bengals.

I guess trading for Coooper isn't evidence we value top receivers? I know some may not agree, but trading for players is the same as drafting players. You are bringing in new talent to your team. No matter the means, it is all the same IMO. As far as i am concerned, Cooper is a 5th round pick this year.

What would that do to our draft grade?
Yeah bringing in Cooper for a 5th was a savy move. Dallas had to unload money and the Browns
Needed a proven vet in the WR room. But after Cooper who moves the needle?
Bell could be a solid moves the sticks guy in time...DPJ is too inconsistant
Schwartz offers speed that's it. Grant might push him off the game day active list.
I think the WR room is better than last years. But it lacks that game changer

This draft was truly constructed with the future in mind . With the positions they addressed
I give the Browns front office B..but did the players drafted help close the gap
In the North?

bonefish #1942549 05/01/22 09:50 AM
Legend
Legend
Listening to the media graders is strange.

Maybe I missed something. I have not heard all of them. Jets seem popular. They had three firsts a second, third, and three fourths.

I have not heard anyone mention. The Browns got a top five quarterback and a proven number one receiver from trades in this draft??

We know little about the drafted players except one. Cade York. He can kick long field goals and is accurate.

York kicked the three longest field goals in LSU history and converted 15 of 19 field goals of 50 or more yards in his career, which is also a program record. He completed most of them in the big, loud and intimidating stadiums in the SEC and is ranked second in LSU history with 54 career field goals.

Kicking in the pros does not change from college. Good field goal kickers win lots of games in the NFL.
Had the Browns been good on special teams this past season, they might have made the playoffs. As it is, they were bottom three in the league.

So, when it comes to what is actually known. IMO the Browns had the best draft.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I put this in my opening paragraph. "it's fun to grade drafts and is not intended to be taken as a "given.'"

Not sure why people would read and respond to a thread about draft grades if they deemed it so unimportant? Then again, if our grade was high, it would be gospel.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
To expand........it's annoying that multiple people complain about posting football content, yet don't say a word about the continual personal attacks on this board like you are the biggest whiner on the board; reveal your identity, and dedicating multiple insults DAILY that have nothing to do w/football.

Anyway, here is what PFF had to say about the Brown's draft.

CLEVELAND BROWNS
R3 (68) — CB Martin Emerson, Mississippi State
R3 (78) — EDGE Alex Wright, UAB
R3 (99) — WR David Bell, Purdue
R4 (108) — DI Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma
R4 (124) — K Cade York, LSU
R5 (156) — RB Jerome Ford, Cincinnati
R6 (202) — WR Michael Woods II, Oklahoma
R7 (223) — EDGE Isaiah Thomas, Oklahoma
R7 (246) — C Dawson Deaton, Texas Tech

Day 1: The Browns’ first-round pick went to the Texans as part of the Deshaun Watson trade.

Day 2: Martin Emerson may prove to be a better player in the NFL than in college, where he was miscast in a system that didn’t quite play to his strengths. He has elite length for the position and could make a real name for himself in press coverage, but he struggles in off coverage and in space. He snagged just one interception in his college career despite facing 130 targets.

Alex Wright was one of the best-graded edge rushers in the nation in 2021, earning a 90.4 PFF grade at UAB after two solid years and a consistently improving pass-rushing grade. He had 51 pressures and some of the most dominant reps of any prospect. He has real size and power and has flown under the radar throughout the process.

Bell is slow and fell down boards as a result, but he still was a super productive wideout in the B1G. He attacks the ball well and has great physicality at 6-foot-1, 212 pounds. He isn’t a dynamic player by any means, but he does enough of the little things well to come in and produce early in Cleveland.

Day 3: Winfrey started his college career at Iowa Western Community College for two years before transferring to Oklahoma. He made an impact as a penetrator with an elite first step to get upfield. However, he was often miscast in Oklahoma’s defense, playing 236 snaps at nose tackle despite being on the slimmer side. The former Sooner joins a team that has already selected an edge rusher and a cornerback in attempts to strengthen their defense.

Draft Grade: B

Here is the link for it and you can read about what they think of all the other teams, too.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-grades

Legend
Legend
I think a lot of people are just expressing their opinion on draft grades?

It's hard to put much stock in a writer you've never heard of passing out "grades" for 32 teams an hour after the draft.

Someone posted "this guy gave us an A" in another thread. I clicked and scrolled... and scrolled... looking for anything below a B for any team. Went back and counted -- he gave 24 of 32 teams a B+ or better!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
The screenshot came up and said that since 2016 the Browns had drafted more WR.s than anybody. Well,
1. That is a random long ago time frame to make a point.
2. The point is absolute nonsense (Barbara streisannd) because:

Except for Wr Corey Coleman, which was way back about a (hundred nfl years) ago, name any of the others who were top 6, or even top 7 projected Wr's that the Browns drafted going into those respected drafts.

Not even top 8, or Name the 1 that was top 9. See the Browns, could have done a similar scenario with perhaps their offensive line and this boards crowd would be all over them for not having drafted any OL before the whatever round 5th, 6th, 7th, whatever, it may as well be if you consistently let 10-11-12 players at the same position get selected before you (mosey- meander- lollygag-, get around to-,) finally waking up and seeking a player at that position for your own team.

Even though that screen shot said the Browns had drafted more Wrs since 2016 than just about anybody,
I believe the opposite point is the more relevant one.
I'm quite certain that this is the 3rd consecutive year.
That before the Browns selected a WR, that at least 11, (I want to say 10-12, or more up to 13) Wr's were selected by other NFL teams in each respected draft,
ALSO the browns themselves, selected at least 2 other players themselves before they would allow themselves to (be bothered), to address the WR position with their own picks in any respected draft. LEts look
2022: (traded away) (traded down) (Cb Emmerson at 68 overall) edit: (de wright #78)( Wr Bell at #99) (other) (kicker) and (rb), (Wr Woods at #202)
2021:(db), (linebacker) (traded away) (Wr Schwartz at #91 overall) (others- 4 picks) (Wr Felton at #211)
2020: (OL) (safety) (DL) (LB) (Harrison Bryant the TE/wr at #115) (center) and (Wr DPJ at #187 overall)- the final pick of that year by the team.
2019: In 2019 they used the 1st round pick on a trade for OBJ, but he wasn't part of the players entering the league from college, and that is part of the point>
2019: (trade for OBJ, Wr 1st round) (CB,) (LB) (SS) (LB), (kicker), (OL) (CB)
2018: (Qb) (CB) (OL) (RB) (DE) (WR Antonio Callaway #105 overall) (Lb) (Wr D. Ratley # 175 overall) (DE?)

That is 5 years, (half a decade, a 20th of a century of players entering the league).

So the Screenshot saying the Browns have drafted more wr's than anybody since 2016, making a point, a false point, a propaganda spin that tells the wrong story Was making the exact WRONG POINT

The Browns are not over addressing the WR position. They are neglecting to address the WR position and doing so Consistently!
By failing to use any top pick
failing to get any impact players
failing to acquire any of the top 5, top 6, top 7, top 8, or top 9, or top 10 Wr's (top 11), top 12) WR's coming out of college and joining the NFL in any given year.)

( Because they were thunderstruck that Corey Coleman didn't work out? That was about a lifetime ago.)

IMO. The consistent plan of trying to pretend they are getting pots of gold at the ends of these rainbows, is contributing to the Browns inability to score points at the ends of games.

But at least that screenshot that said the Browns have drafted more Wrs than anybody since 2016, was attempting to make a point contradictory to the truth.
(that the Browns are overaddressing the position, Because the Browns are Not!)

Last edited by THROW LONG; 05/01/22 10:36 AM. Reason: forgot de Wright at #78

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
GMdawg #1942571 05/01/22 11:33 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Grade...... Incomplete

I'm generally of the same opinion. With the Browns we do have 2 players that are part of our draft haul and we can say that on paper they were great acquisitions - "about" 1/3 of DW came with this years first round pick. Last time he played football he was elite. Cooper came with a 5th round pick and if there is a better player selected in this year's draft in the 5th round I would be highly surprised/impressed.

And while it is too soon to grade any of the players - JETS and Ravens both stand out as looking to have really added some quality. But then they took players that I thought extremely highly of so ... maybe it's just confirmation bias !!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
To expand........it's annoying that multiple people complain about posting football content, yet don't say a word about the continual personal attacks on this board like you are the biggest whiner on the board; reveal your identity, and dedicating multiple insults DAILY that have nothing to do w/football.

Like this?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C

I think we netted two immediate impact guys:

Winfrey and York

Emerson has a chance to be that, but it will be interesting to see how they use him/Newsome/greedy

The rest are probably just developmental guys. I didn’t love the Bell pick because he’s not a high end athlete for the position, but he could find a niche

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
J/C

I think we netted two immediate impact guys:

Winfrey and York

Good call - I forgot about York ... he has the **potential** to be as big a signing as any rookie signing for the Browns this year. I'll wait till I see him do it on the NFL stage ... but , yeah, can't be overlooked.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Since the Browns didn't have a pick until the third round, why would anyone be surprised we were ranked with a lower grade in the draft than teams having picks, sometimes even multiple picks in the first two rounds? Just seems like a logical conclusion to me.

You see, nobody knows how these drafts will actually play out years from now. But the reality is the NFL draft is big business. These people get paid to rank players before the draft and give draft grades based on those rankings when the draft is over. They aren't taking into account the trades you made before the draft. All they are doing is grading what transpired during the draft. The grades are ranked strictly upon your draft picks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns Draft Grades 2022: How national analysts graded the picks
Updated: May. 01, 2022, 11:10 a.m. | Published: May. 01, 2022, 11:10 a.m.

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Despite trading away their first- and second-round picks, the Browns added nine new players to the roster during the 2022 NFL Draft. We asked Browns fans to grade each one, and the results were ... mixed.

The Browns’ first pick of the draft, cornerback Martin Emerson in the third round, was given a C by voters, with nearly 80 percent of the vote opting for C, D or F. Other C grades included edge Alex Wright (third round) receiver Mike Woods II (sixth round) and center Dawson Deaton (seventh round).

The highest grade went to kicker Cade York, a fourth-round pick given an overwhelming A (70 percent) by voters. They also gave an A to defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey (fourth round).

Everybody else received a B. It’s a group that includes receiver David Bell (third round), running back James Ford (fifth round) and edge Isaiah Thomas (seventh round).

But that’s what Browns fans think. What do national draft analysts think? We rounded up their grades and what they had to say about the Browns’ 2022 draft.

Chad Reuter, NFL.com

Grade: B.

Reuter’s take: The trade for Deshaun Watson sets the direction of the franchise for the foreseeable future, as the Browns gave up three first-round picks as part of the deal. Cleveland has its quarterback, but I believe the price was too high for Watson, who is currently facing 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual assault and misconduct, as well as potential discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy pending the outcome of an ongoing league investigation. On Day 2, Emerson, Wright and Bell all met needs and provided good value at premium positions. The Browns can count receiver Amari Cooper as part of their Day 3 haul, which was a good start. Getting the aggressive, quick Winfrey at the three-technique spot in the fourth round was a steal, as was selecting his teammate, Thomas, as a power end in the seventh round. York went a bit earlier than I expected, though he showed a nice leg on field goals and kickoffs at LSU. Ford, an Alabama transfer, is vastly underrated.

Nate Davis USA Today

Grade: A-.

Davis’ take: Mid-round DE Alex Wright (Round 3), WR David Bell (Round 3), DT Perrion Winfrey (Round 4) and K Cade York (Round 4) could all pay off right away. And don’t forget they essentially surrendered a fifth-rounder to get WR Amari Cooper. But this draft and future ones will ultimately be defined by what QB Deshaun Watson, and all the baggage he comes with, provides to this franchise.

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News

Iyer’s take: The Browns used their early draft capital to get Deshaun Watson and didn’t get more by choosing not to deal Baker Mayfield during (the draft). Emerson and Wright were shaky initial depth picks, but Bell and Winfrey were incredible need values for Andrew Berry. They also copycatted the Bengals and solved their big kicker issue with York. It’s a true middle-class haul.

Conor Orr, Sports Illustrated

Grade: B+.

Orr’s take: This year will be a significant test of the Browns’ process as a front office. Paul DePodesta and the scouting department have gotten roughly six years of data and experience to try and ferret out what makes a good football player and what is necessary to win. The results so far have yielded a single playoff win, far more than the Browns have enjoyed in the past but probably less than the average general manager from a non-analytical background dart throwing at Mel Kiper’s Big Board. That said, this draft is full of some players who can come in and play quickly. Winfrey is a favorite here .... The violent defensive tackle has some really impressive anticipatory skills against the run and a knack for pushing his way into the backfield. This is a year for hybrid run-stuffing/pass-rushing tackles and Winfrey is one of the best. A lingering question: Did Cleveland do enough at wide receiver?

Staff, Pro Football Focus

PFF’s take: Martin Emerson may prove to be a better player in the NFL than in college, where he was miscast in a system that didn’t quite play to his strengths. He has elite length for the position and could make a real name for himself in press coverage, but he struggles in off coverage and in space. He snagged just one interception in his college career despite facing 130 targets. Alex Wright was one of the best-graded edge rushers in the nation in 2021, earning a 90.4 PFF grade at UAB after two solid years and a consistently improving pass-rushing grade. He had 51 pressures and some of the most dominant reps of any prospect. He has real size and power and has flown under the radar throughout the process. Bell is slow and fell down boards as a result, but he still was a super productive wideout in the B1G. He attacks the ball well and has great physicality at 6-foot-1, 212 pounds. He isn’t a dynamic player by any means, but he does enough of the little things well to come in and produce early in Cleveland. Winfrey started his college career at Iowa Western Community College for two years before transferring to Oklahoma. He made an impact as a penetrator with an elite first step to get upfield. However, he was often miscast in Oklahoma’s defense, playing 236 snaps at nose tackle despite being on the slimmer side.

Mark Maske, The Washington Post

Maske’s take: The Browns depleted their draft resources in the Deshaun Watson trade and have failed to find a taker for Watson’s predecessor, QB Baker Mayfield. It’s questionable whether they managed to get proper value with their third-round choices of CB Martin Emerson, DE Alex Wright and WR David Bell. Using a fourth-rounder on a kicker, Cade York, is interesting. He better succeed.

Luke Easterling, DraftWire

Easterling’s take: The Browns didn’t make a pick until the third round, but they made up for it once they finally got on the clock. CB Martin Emerson Jr. is a long corner who was a solid value in that range, while EDGE Alex Wright is massive and underrated. WR David Bell isn’t a burner, but he’s a well-rounded pass-catcher who can make an immediate impact as a third rounder. The fourth round was both feast and famine, as the Browns stole a top-60 player in Winfrey to fill a huge need, but reached for the first specialist off the board in York. It wasn’t a big need, but RB Jerome Ford was a sneaky value pick in the fifth round.

Mel Kiper, ESPN

Kiper’s take: David Bell dropped because of his speed -- he ran a 4.65-second 40 at the combine -- but he put up huge numbers at Purdue. He could be a nice target on curls and crossers because of his sure hands. I expect Cleveland to be in the market for veteran receiving help after the draft, but Bell could fill a role as a rookie. Martin Emerson is an outside press corner, defensive end Alex Wright has long arms for his 6-foot-5 frame and has some upside as a pass-rusher, and Cade York is my top-ranked kicker. Perrion Winfrey is a nice value pick; I thought he could go 50 picks earlier. As a 3-technique tackle, he can wreak havoc against centers and guards. I bet his Oklahoma teammate Isaiah Thomas will make the team as a rotational edge rusher too. It’s tough to get starters without picks until Round 3, but I thought Cleveland did a good job with what it had.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-national-analysts-graded-the-picks.html

Last edited by Jester; 05/01/22 01:20 PM.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Jester #1942618 05/01/22 02:04 PM
Legend
Legend
This is just a overall question.

Last year the Jags drafted Trevor Lawerence. Every media and analyist grade was A+.

The Browns traded for Deshaun Watson. His last year playing in 2020 in the NFL was considered was one of the best years ever by a quarterback.

He was part of this draft. He cost 3 first rounders plus. Pickett was picked 20th as the first qb drafted.

Lawerence and Pickett were last two quarterbacks taken first. Both of them right now are incomplete because they have either not played or only played one year. Watson has played three years. All three years were Pro Bowl years.

Before the draft the Browns traded a fifth rounder for Amari Cooper. He was the former 4th overall pick in 2015.

Will any fifth rounder be as good as Cooper?

What team made decisions to improve their team the most?

bonefish #1942620 05/01/22 02:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can say that all you like. But they didn't draft watson. And they didn't just give up this years first either. We didn't draft Cooper either.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1942622 05/01/22 02:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Both were a part of this draft. We gave up a fifth for Cooper?

We traded 3 first rounders plus for Watson? How is that not part of the draft? Pick 13 was Jordan Davis.

If we didn't make the trades we would have had the picks? All of the other trades were part of the draft?

So I don't know were you are going?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Draft Grades

Link Copied to Clipboard