Next Thread
Print Thread
#1940445 04/24/22 06:20 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
It's getting bad, and the worst part about it is, as coaches and fans (mostly fans, as coaches know without umpires/officials that are trained, there won't be games).

He, all you without much to do, get licensed, go officiate games. It's easy to know the rules when you're OUTSIDE the fence, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/youth-softball-umpire-says-she-111022916.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Youth softball umpire says she was punched in the face by a mom: 'It's getting worse and worse.'
Chris Bumbaca, USA TODAY
Sat, April 23, 2022, 8:52 PM·6 min read

Word travels fast in Ellisville, Mississippi, and Kristi Moore didn't want her children to hear the news from somebody else. So she called her 17-year-old daughter and explained why she'd be walking through the door with serious injuries to the left side of her face.

Hours earlier on the evening of April 9, Moore became one of the latest victims of violence unleashed by a parent against an official at a youth sports game, according to police. Days after the incident, Moore shared a photo of her black eye and bruised face on social media that went viral, setting off a discussion about abuse umpires and referees face.

The worst part wasn't the swelling around her left eye or the pain in her ear. It was the reactions of her daughter and 13-year-old son.

“They took one look at me and started crying,” Moore, 47, told USA TODAY Sports.

"Mom, we don't want you to do this," they told her. "We don’t want you to get hurt."

SPORTS NEWSLETTER: Sign up now for daily updates sent to your inbox

While Moore was umpiring a softball game in the nearby town of Laurel for 12-and-under girls, a mother of one of the players became unruly and screamed profanity across the field. The situation escalated when the mother challenged one of Moore's calls at second base.

“That she was going to (expletive) me up,” Moore recalled. Moore told police later that Kiara Nichelle Thomas threatened her several times, according to a copy of the Laurel Police Department incident report obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Moore told Thomas, 32, of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to leave the field. Thomas was the second person Moore had ejected from the premises. When she refused, Moore told the team's coach that the game would be forfeited if Thomas didn’t leave. A coach told Thomas to leave, Moore said. She did, but not before threatening Moore again, per the incident report.
Kristi Moore has been an umpire for 10 years and serves as the head umpire in Mississippi for the United States Fastpitch Association. She suffered a black eye as a result of an attack after a 12-and-under game she umpired Saturday.
Kristi Moore has been an umpire for 10 years and serves as the head umpire in Mississippi for the United States Fastpitch Association. She suffered a black eye as a result of an attack after a 12-and-under game she umpired Saturday.

After the game, Thomas returned and approached Moore, who said she instructed Thomas to step away, according to the incident report.

Then came the punch. The strike caused a black eye, cuts and scratches underneath Moore's right eye.

According to the report, Thomas was immediately informed the police were being called. She fled the scene but a parks and recreation employee snapped a cell phone photo of the black Chevrolet Crossover Thomas drove, including the license plate number.

A department officer pulled over Thomas at an intersection at 7:18 p.m. Thomas was arrested on one charge of simple assault, Laurel police chief Tommy Cox said; Moore identified her by photograph. Booking photos showed her wearing a "Mother of the Year" shirt, and she was released on bond.
Days after the attack, swelling near Moore's left eye remained.
Days after the attack, swelling near Moore's left eye remained.
Umpiring treatment 'getting worse and worse'

During her umpiring career, there has always been traditional heckling, said Moore, the umpire in charge in Mississippi for the United States Fastpitch Association. She's been calling youth games for about a decade.

“It’s just getting worse and worse,” she said. Threats of violence are routine. “Something has to be done about this. It’s not just softball, baseball. It’s every official.”

National Association of Sports Officials president Barry Mano would like to see the organizations in charge, in this case the United States Fastpitch Association, take more of a lead. USFA founder and national director John Cain said "our whole USFA umpire staff has been supporting her."

"She's done a great job of bringing this to the spotlight," Cain told USA TODAY Sports by phone. "It takes a lot of courage."

Cain called Moore for the first time 13 days after the assault. Cain said the team Thomas' child played on has been banned for the entire season under the organization's zero-tolerance policy.

Mano attributes the rise in harassment of youth sports officials to a less civil society.

"And we’re more pressure-packed," he told USA TODAY Sports. "Then we get involved with sporting events. This is sort of a classic case. We have a perpetrator being a fan slash mother, who’s upset, and decides to cold-cock an umpire. That’s sort of how this happens.”

This sort of assault, Mano said, doesn’t happen at the professional or collegiate level. It's rare during high school events.

“But it’s really these levels, like the one in Mississippi, that we see the biggest problem,” he added.

A viral video that circulated recently showed a coach tackling an umpire after he was ejected for arguing at a youth game in Texas. The umpire was taken to the hospital.

“It’s kind of to the point now, you’re dreading going, because of parent and coach’s behavior. It’s not just for the officials, it’s for the kids," Moore said. "This is not OK, to be exhibiting this behavior in front of the children.”

"It's going to take an adult population that has to get serious," said Mano, who founded Referee Magazine in 1976.
Discouraging violent behavior through the law

States such as Alabama, Delaware, Florida and Nevada classify assaults of sports officials as felonies, according to NASO. Others have imposed fines eclipsing $1,000 to discourage violence.

Moore would like to see the Mississippi state legislature, which doesn't have such a law on its books, become active in protecting youth sports stewards.

Codifying sports officials as a "defined class" would provide a necessary deterrence, Mano said.

“There’s such a lack of respect for authority … what kind of example is being set for these kids when we resort to violence because we don’t like a call in a ballgame? It’s totally unnecessary," Moore said. "Something has to be done to enforce stricter laws and punishment for this kind of behavior.”

Abuse from parents and fans has a lasting impact on youth sports and those who officiate kids' games. NASO conducted a survey in 2017 with 18,000 respondents answering a variety of questions. It found that the primary reason individuals stop officiating, Mano said, “is this bad behavior.”

Mano said that referees sign up with the presumption that everybody will act reasonably during youth games.

“And it turns out that presumption is wrong,” he said.

Moore isn't sure if she will ever go back to umpiring. She found somebody else to cover the two recreation league games she was scheduled to ump this past week. The emotional wounds need to heal as much as the physical ones.

“I can’t say I’ll never get back out there," Moore said. "But I’m not ready to at this point.”

https://www.wnewsj.com/sports/201154/column-amid-increasing-abuse-officials-flee-youth-sports#:~:text=Moore%20was%20punched%20in%20the%20face%20less%20than,when%20they%20heard%20of%20the%20assault%20of%20Moore.

No sense quoting the entire article - read it at the link.

It's no wonder that, in ohio alone I've read some 1,300 quit in the last year. That's baseball and softball. In ohio, that would be the equivalent of 15 umps per county. And there was never "too many" umps to begin with.

I do softball. Every morning, I, and the other umps, get e-mails asking/begging for umpires. For that evening!

If I wanted, especially this year with the weather, I could do games M-F, and double, sometimes triple headers, on Sat.

The "new" umps? They last a game or 3 and say "screw that. I'm done." And the older umps? Same thing.

Ugly fan behavior and/or coach behavior is killing the sports of baseball/softball. Won't be long until basketball is included. Or soccer, really. Volleyball?

Stupid fans that don't know the rules, but are "tough guys/gals" are ruining kids sports, from 12u on up to varsity.

Players, for the most part, are great. A few coaches are bad. I've got 1 team that I simply refuse to do games for.

Fans? Idiots. Had a deputy, when I got to my vehicle, say "I was watching you walk out. " I said "I'm glad you were here."

Had a fan..................literally screaming at me over this: Runner at third. (softball - in softball you can't leave the base before the ball leaves the pitchers hand)....pitch. Runner takes off for home. Line drive to the shortstop. OUT. Runner was half way home. Short threw it to third, third basegirl caught the ball, stepped on third. "OUT"

Fan was going crazy. "There wasn't a tag!!! She never tagged her !!!! YOU SUCK".

Coach came out. "Uh, did you call her out on the tag? Cause there wasn't a tag." "No, I called her out because it was a caught fly ball, be it a line drive, and the runner was halfway to home. She never tagged up. On a caught fly ball, runner needs to be on the base before she can advance."

I'm 53....getting ready to just be done with it, as are many others I know. Oh well. It will only hurt the kids. Parents.....

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's the society we live in and I place a lot of blame on the media. All these BS articles that are so one-sided, encourage a lack of accountability, and encourage finger pointing. I could go on, but it would be too political. I can sympathize w/the umps and officials and I feel there is no place for that type of harassment in youth sports.

Legend
Legend
I have a great respect for anyone who decides to officiate because it’s a pretty thankless job, especially at the lower levels. I’ve seen some of them get berated for just making calls.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the main problem (beyond the insanity of waiting for a youth ump in the parking lot and committing assault) is that people don't understand the totally different situation between pro officials/umpires and the volunteers/hobbyist ref/ump that's out there for kids games. Also (IMO) this is just another symptom of the insanity that is kids sports nowadays.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Agreed. However, it's happening DURING a game way too often. H.S. level, on down, by fans, and even players in the case of basketball, especially.

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
No joke. I got an e-mail yesterday. "Are you available for 4-11-2023?"

And just tonight, 2 different e-mails (sent out to all umps in the 5th district) about scheduling 2024 games!!!!

This is how dire things are, at least in softball. I know baseball is the same.

The 2023 game I was specifically asked about? I said "yeah, put me down, but I don't even know if I'll be alive."

Trying to schedule a whole season for 2024, today? nah, not doing it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
While I am in complete agreement on the shame of umpires facing abuse from fans is horrible, I do think this is hilarious and this ump has a rep of sucking.

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
yeah, that's Angel Hernandez. He's known as a terrible ump, for good reason.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Just prior to my first response on here, I had come out of the youtube rabbit hole watching videos of terrible ump calls/ejections, and that was the main reason I wrote my response the way I did.

The likes of Hernandez and Joe West earn every single ounce of grief they get. Honestly, I'm shocked neither of these guys have ever been on the receiving end of a roid-rage right hook. Youth sports are a totally different animal, even though it's the same job/position.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Angel Hernandez is notoriously bad. Almost like he wants to be a joke at this point.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
The lack of officials is terrible.

I have my choice of 3 different games tomorrow, and 2 different games Friday. Saturday, I could choose between 2 different double headers.

I've already agreed to a game for 2023 - a YEAR from now. I told the A.D. "yeah, I guess I can do it. I don't know if I'll be alive, though."

And today, an A.D. asking for umpires for 2024!!! Not a typo.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
The lack of officials is terrible.

I have my choice of 3 different games tomorrow, and 2 different games Friday. Saturday, I could choose between 2 different double headers.

I've already agreed to a game for 2023 - a YEAR from now. I told the A.D. "yeah, I guess I can do it. I don't know if I'll be alive, though."

And today, an A.D. asking for umpires for 2024!!! Not a typo.

Proof positive about how rude our society has become.

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Done with work today. Got an e-mail (and when I say I got, I mean all of the 5th district ups got), asking for an umpire tonight, for a varsity game. 1 1/2 hours away. Some umps in the 5th would be over 2 hours away, and some would be closer.

Oh, the 1 ump that had agreed to it got hurt and can't do it.

Yes, varsity softball, with only 1 ump. OHSAA is allowing that now. Not that long ago, OHSAA required 2, class 1 umpires. (class 1 is the top tier). Then OHSAA went to allowing games, varsity games, with a class 1 behind the plate, and a class 2 on the bases. Then they went to "Okay, class 2 umps can do the plate", and now they are at "screw it, do the game with 1 ump."

Won't be long before it'll be like 12 u games..........."hey, dad in the stands, can you come out and ump?"

And yes, I'm a class 1, and no, I'm not driving 1 1/2 hours. Plus I have other things to do tonight.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Won't be long before it'll be like 12 u games..........."hey, dad in the stands, can you come out and ump?"

And yes, I'm a class 1, and no, I'm not driving 1 1/2 hours. Plus I have other things to do tonight.

That's wild. My youngest son, now 13U, has had two umps in every game since 12U. Two umps always in tournaments even when in 11u.

I agree with you, no way would it be worth driving 1.5 hrs for essentially pizza money. Parents and coaches definitely ruin it for the kids. Too much money involved in today's youth sports and too many disillusioned parents that think their kids are going pro. Youth sports has become a billion dollar business.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I played baseball in high school. Short stop and pitcher. I know the game.

Coached football, basketball, and baseball while I was teaching at various points. Obviously, as I moved up the tree as a football coach, I had to get out of baseball and basketball. I later scouted for a collegiate scouting service.

After I retired from all that to follow my kids who both played on Travel teams and AAU teams in both basketball and baseball/softball, I ended up coaching an AAU traveling team for my son's baseball team. Parents were a pain in the ass even though we only lost 3 games in three years. I said hell w/it and took over for my daughter's traveling team. God, that was awful. The parents were so freaking dramatic. Completely selfish when their children were considered. These were 17 and 18 year old girls. i tapped out after a year and then they got a very real dose of reality about the importance of coaching.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
My daughter played high level travel softball for 6 years, I played baseball for alot of years, I know the game, and I always thought about umpiring when she was done but no thanks because of the craziness.

Legend
Legend
As far as abuse of referees in all of the sports my son played, baseball was by far the worst. The part that really got me, were the kids following their coach's and parent's lead by being disrespectful to the officials. From what I saw and heard at the complexes he played at, girls softball was also bad. I coached and my son played youth hockey, and believe it or not, hockey parents were probably the least abusive toward the refs and coaches, (in the NW OH area, anyway). Some of the wrestling parents would get out of hand. There were obnoxious football parents, but they were far enough away from the action it didn't have the effect that it does in other sports.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
When I played lacrosse in high school (Cleveland area) we always had to call the ref 'sir'. Always seemed really awkward doing that when hockey was kinda the opposite.

-PrplPplEater
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
It's tough to go from varsity and j.v. ball to doing 12 u, which I did last night.

It's tough. After the first inning, I told the coaches the strike zone just got a lot bigger. They were fine with that.

But when the ball rolls in, or when it goes over your head, you just can't call a strike.

I was paired with a person going through the classes, according to that person. They were "almost done" with the classes. Wow, if that is the future of umpires, softball will be dead in Ohio. This person, doing the bases, didn't even know where to line up. I'm not special, I'm not great, I question myself often. Just 2 nights ago I called a guy that has been an ump for 20 years (I only have 6 years) to ask him a question about an incident I had at a game.

The state needs more umpires - baseball and softball, and more ref's for all sports. Games are getting cancelled due to a lack of them, especially baseball and softball.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Umpiring/officiating

Link Copied to Clipboard