Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
The bottom line with Hunt is that he is our most valuable trade chip. He is a luxury in Cleveland on a team that will never enjoy his true upside. That fact makes him way more valuable to another team where he can be a star in the backfield, a weapon elsewhere, and see way more snaps. Other teams may see him as a possible workhorse who's skill-set approaches "elite".

He will be the first high-value player to go in a trade as this team needs to acquire future assets to keep the low-pay, high-production wheel turning. That's the only way to balance the books with all of these high-priced contracts... jmo.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Fate, that is fine in theory, but RBs don't fetch a lot in return. Unless, of course, BOB was still in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Well, whoever's in Houston, here's a chance to right the wrongs of your past. 3rd rounder now and a 5th in '24.

I don't know, situation dictates assets. I think the Browns would be pretty firm on a 3rd as compensation.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
The bottom line with Hunt is that he is our most valuable trade chip. He is a luxury in Cleveland on a team that will never enjoy his true upside. That fact makes him way more valuable to another team where he can be a star in the backfield, a weapon elsewhere, and see way more snaps. Other teams may see him as a possible workhorse who's skill-set approaches "elite".

He will be the first high-value player to go in a trade as this team needs to acquire future assets to keep the low-pay, high-production wheel turning. That's the only way to balance the books with all of these high-priced contracts... jmo.

Agree with everything you said - but I also agree that RB's don't bring a return in trade value. I think Hunt has more value as sensational back up to Chubb who is more valuable as a negligible drop off option to Chubb than the draft pick we'd get in return, no matter how bare the draft capital cupboard is. The exception might be as a package deal with Baker if it means we can get something significant for Baker.

* Edit - I don't see a 3rd rounder for Hunt. I'd take that for certain.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/17/22 06:21 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I wouldn’t ( no offence).

It’s not easy to replace a versatile back like Kareem. He’s worth more than a third, and I don’t really care what the draft analytics say.

We’ve seen him, more than once, help to wear a defence down in the third/early fourth quarter, then step aside while Nick finishes them off.

I don’t even think of him as a backup, I think of him as a vital part of our RB room, a complementary piece to Chubb who can block, catch the ball and run with authority, and is a warrior who loves being a Brown. We trade him, we are inhaling something funny.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: AZBrown, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. We probably can't even get a 3rd for him, but I wouldn't even trade him for that if there was a team willing to do so. I don't think getting another guy like Emerson is better than Hunt. I actually think Hunt is a better all-around back than Chubb. He's a better blocker, receiver, and in short yardage. He is also less prone to be stuffed behind the LOS. I am not saying he should play more than Chubb, because the latter is far more explosive and a threat to take it all the way on any given play than Hunt is. I just think it would be dumb to trade him.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok...trade Chubb.

Only kidding. I'd still offer both Hunt and Johnson a contract on June 1 when you have the cash. The guy that signs is the guy I would keep and trade the other.

I think the rook has a future, and to be honest, I think Kelly would be a good back in the league.

I think sometimes we just fall in love with players. I get that, but to me it is a waste to keep a starting type guy on the bench. I'd rather trade the player, especially when we are down a 1st rounder the next 2 drafts.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
peen, many teams go w/two backs. We are one of them. I think it is wise to keep both Chubb and Hunt. I think we may lose Johnson. I have never understood the fascination w/trading away good players that some folks have. We had a similar discussion on here not too long ago about D. Ward. I am not asking you to agree, but understand, I am not going to agree w/you that trading Hunt for a 5th, 4th, or even a 3rd round pick is smart and good for the team.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree for a 4th or 5th rounder. #rd? maybe...I guess it might depend of how high we think it could be.

Nothing says it couldn't be a player for player swap.

At any rate, it is all speculation and opinion. I guess the only opinion that matters is what Berry and a few others think.

I will also add that maybe it doesn't make all that much sense for this year, but we will be playing football for a few years down the road. It makes sense for that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't call it a fascination lol.

I'm certainly not saying "we gotta get rid of Hunt!"

Value is in the eye of the beholder, and this team isn't giving him away. But...

There is virtually no way Hunt is here beyond this season anyway.
Team is in the red in the "assets" column.
He has more upside to other teams who may pay a premium.

And there is half the season to decide before the trade deadline. If we're 2-6 and Deshaun is just suiting up... Hunt is already wearing a different jersey.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wouldn't call it a fascination lol.

Poor word choice on my part. LOL Now, don't be like Pit and make a big deal of me choosing the word "campaigning" and lose the essence of the message. wink

We did have a discussion on Ward not too long ago and it centered around trading him. I was very opposed to that idea. Thankfully, Berry gave Ward a nice deal and he'll be a Brown for years to come. I hope Berry keeps our good players and I think Hunt is one of them. Not asking you to agree or anything.......just stating my case. It's kinda cool to disagree w/others w/out all the drama that is prevalent in other forums.

B
Legend
Legend
B
For the record, i would like to keep him. I also don't want to lose a player of his ability with nothing in return.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

I used a complete sentence in quotes. Not a word choice. Either you didn't comprehend that or are trying to manipulate what actually happened. Are you drinking while posting again?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I hear you. I love Hunt. I love the nightmares DCs have when facing the two-headed monster. I would love the idea of an extension.

I think we know, he knows, and the whole league knows, he'll get a more lucrative contract if he reaches free agency and moves to another team. Next contract is probably (just guessing without this season's crystal ball) about 2 years/ 15M. The Browns can't won't afford that if we still have a healthy Nick Chubb and other horses in the stable. I think they drafted Ford for another stab at opening that possibility.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but we're a team that values the upside of getting "something" before a player hits the turnstile, we've said it out loud numerous times. It's right there on "the chart"... the Browns Guardrails. Now, we've been burned twice in a row, with OBJ and Baker (screwing up and selling low... can't get much lower than getting nothing). And then we STB with Landry.

I just think they're going to be more proactive towards getting assets on the back end of contracts if they don't think the player will be here going forward. This could be draft assets, this could be a trade for a player in an area of need, exactly when we need. We'll see how the first half of the season plays out and the value we'll place on getting nothing again vs the upside of Hunt's production for the second half of 2022.

L
Legend
Legend
L
You and peen both make a good argument, solid points.

We’ll see what happens, as always, but one other thing to consider is that Kareem might - MIGHT - take a hometown discount. But I also think D’Ernest is good, and even Kelly flashed. But they haven’t proven to be a back of Hunt’s calibre. Either way, this was a good little discussion.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: FATE
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Jerome Ford, running back, selected with the 156th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard