Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
??? Man I must have missed that or completely forgot about it. smh. Thanks Purp.

I had no idea. Now I have to think of the guy as a POS.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Don’t forget, Clowney is a very good inside defender, so this covers two spots if needed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not positive, but I find it hard to believe that any team has two more imposing physical specimens as Edge guys than the Browns do.

1 member likes this: PastorMarc
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I am going to defend our coaching staff and provide evidence that contradicts mac's claims. I looked into NFL teams with the most missed tackles. The Browns were 23rd on the list, which means that 22 other teams had more missed tackles than the Browns. The Seahawks led the league in most missed tackles and had a whopping 129 more missed tackles than our Browns did.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/which-team-has-the-most-missed-tackles-in-2021

vers... I thought I was rather specific as I pointed out that imo, Clowney could have improved upon his 2021 performance had he not missed some sack and tfl opportunities. Clowney did all the hard work to put himself in position to make some of those big plays but failed to finish, imo. 

I mentioned that Clowney was not the only Browns player who, imo, had issues with their tackling technique...as our dbs and lbs at times whiffed on tackling opportunities that hurt the overall defensive performance. When I see our Browns defense victimized by their own poor tackling and by players at various positions, the Browns coaching staff must take a look at themselves and what they are attempting to teach their defensive students.

Those who point to some "general defensive stats" and use them as an excuse to say (hypothetically) "look how good we were last year"...that is equal to simply ignoring the problem. Every player on the Browns defense can and should improve their game every season and coaches should strive to improve upon their teaching methods to help their players improve. 

I'm more concerned about our defensive unit "making" those critical tackles especially when the game is on the line.  Paying attention to basic techniques can make a difference.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I am not positive, but I find it hard to believe that any team has two more imposing physical specimens as Edge guys than the Browns do.

Game plan/Defensive Ends: Meet at the quarterback.
This should be really fun.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Does anyone feel N.Suh would be a good-pick-up? We can use him in D-Line rotation and he does bring some attitude.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You may have been very specific and I thought I was pretty clear that I disagree w/your take and that coaching was not a problem. Now that that is settled, we can move on.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Suh would help our interior defense. He is older and not the player he used to be, but he can still play at a high level in big games and would add some much needed beef to the interior of our line.

O
Legend
Legend
O
At this point, we should be able to get a good deal on a vet like Suh.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Contract details.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not a cap guy, so I don't know if those numbers are team friendly or just the opposite. I will say that we desperately needed Clowney back and I'm glad he's here.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: OldColdDawg, EveDawg
Legend
Legend
That seriously gives me a great warm, fuzzy feeling inside. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
I saw his interview with Nate Zugura.

He wasn't going anywhere. He wanted to be here. He likes the players, coaches, and people. He is well liked by his teammates.

DW helped because he wants to win. He believes in the team. Knows the defense and likes playing in a true 4-3.

He fits this team. I was hoping we would sign him for two years. I don't know the contract maybe there is an option for next year?

I am damn glad he is on the team. He is disruptive on every play. Sacks get the glory. But watch him come down the backside of the line and snag a runner. He does lots of dirty work. He sets the edge. Having him makes every other player on the DL better.

Myles is a creature. Having Clowney on the other end puts offenses on high alert.

Perrion should fit in a grow fast. Sheldon Day is serviceable. Elliott and Togiai need to bring it. I don't a thing about Taven Bryan. Come camp the DL will be fun to watch.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent

So much so that I'm skeptical. I wouldn't know any better than Rap, but I still find it hard to believe Clowney turned down a bunch of money to come back.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

So much so that I'm skeptical. I wouldn't know any better than Rap, but I still find it hard to believe Clowney turned down a bunch of money to come back.

I don't, because the part left off is which teams were they?

If they were teams with solid rosters that were also positioned for a playoff run, then yes, that would be surprising. However, I suspect those other offers came from teams that were either fighting to get out of the cellar, or struggling to get above .500 and *MAYBE* sneak a playoff appearance..... and, I think the fact that Cleveland is as well positioned as any team to go win it all was enough to offset the couple of million dollars. Those few million basically represent the "this is how much we feel we have to overpay to try to get him to reluctantly come here".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Swish
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

The link outlines Clowney's contract.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jadeveon-clowney-14410/

Berry has been doing this with a lot of contracts but this one seems a bit more extreme in the sense of how many years out this deal is on the books. $8M of Clowney's contract is a bonus but it's been amortized over 5 years. You see this all the time with long term deals but not usually on one year contracts. So, essentially after this year, Clowney's contract has a cap hit of $1.6MM each year from 2023-2026 and carries a dead cap hit of $6.4M next year. Not much ($1.6M) but the aggregate of these sort of contract structures over time could add up. And yes, the cap will most like go up every year and I get that it just that Berry has a tendency to put contracts on the credit card, so to speak.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It tells me that Berry has specific plans for all the money we have available this year, even if it is just to carry it over to next year. We EASILY could have absorbed all $11 million this year and still had leftovers.
I think it also may hint that, short of negotiating a multi-year deal, this is Clowney's last season here, which I think may be a mistake.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

If they were teams with solid rosters that were also positioned for a playoff run, then yes, that would be surprising. However, I suspect those other offers came from teams that were either fighting to get out of the cellar, or struggling to get above .500 and *MAYBE* sneak a playoff appearance..... and, I think the fact that Cleveland is as well positioned as any team to go win it all was enough to offset the couple of million dollars. Those few million basically represent the "this is how much we feel we have to overpay to try to get him to reluctantly come here".

yep. he's got money, and guys like him want to compete for titles. making the money at a certain stage of a career isn't worth it if you're constantly losing. it's still football, and guys want to win and try to become legends.

our defense is in a good position. not great, but keeping Clowney keeps everything going the right direction.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
heck, not even become legends, but maybe just finish out the career with some seasons that feel like they could at least mean something. After a certain point, everyone needs satisfaction and meaning from what they do beyond the base level of finances.

Hell, just a few years back, I was trying to score private contract gigs to deploy and go stand watch at some gate in the middle of any random craphole, or do anti-piracy duty in the Indian Ocean... all because I hated my current job so much that I'd rather risk getting shot at or blown up than deal with the stupidity I was dealing with despite the fact that I had a very comfortable paycheck and stability. So, an extreme example here, but the same holds... even being well compensated has its limits; eventually a person needs more.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: Swish
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Ian Rapoport reported one of the teams offering multi year, more money contracts was the Dallas Cowboys. Not sure where you place them regarding playoff possible teams. I have no idea myself.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Clowney Contract
_____________________________________________________________________________________________(Cut Pre June 1)
Year__Age__Base Salary__ Prorated Bonus_Per Game_____Guaranteed Salary___Cap Number___Cap %___Dead Money & Cap Savings
2022-29___$1,250,000___$1,600,000____$750,000______$1,250,000_________$3,467,647____1.6%____$9,250,000__($5,782,353)
2023_30_______ Void____$1,600,000____ Void_______________Void__________$0___________0.0%____$6,400,000__($6,400,000)
2024_31_______Void_____$1,600,000____Void_______________Void__________$0___________0.0%____$4,800,000__($4,800,000)
2025_32_______Void_____$1,600,000____Void_______________Void__________$0____________--______$3,200,000__($3,200,000)
2026_33_______Void_____$1,600,000____Void_______________Void__________$0____________--______$1,600,000__($1,600,000)
Total______$1,250,000____$8,000,000____$750,000______$1,250,000________$3,467,647

The Browns are charged 3.75M this year against the cap from Clowney's last deal with the Browns that carried a void year for 2022. Clowney signed a 1-year deal but the Browns spread the bonus out over 5-years. If this is Clowney's last year with the Browns, they will be having yearly cap hits of 1.6M thru 2026.

Last edited by steve0255; 05/27/22 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
If they even make the playoffs, they're nearly a lock for a first round exit. They're a nowhere team, imo.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Jadeveon Clowney

Link Copied to Clipboard