Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
This is actually quite likely, and as much as Baker would probably hate it, it's his best opportunity to showcase himself for future suitors.

I do have a small worry that the coaching staff wouldn't necessarily run things to allow him to fully light things up because the potential down side and worst-case scenario for the FO is if Baker comes in and lights it up and then gets traded or is sat when Watson comes back from suspension, and Watson falls flat or otherwise struggles.

prp...first, I'm not sure how legit this article is...

...second, I know you are right about it being a good opportunity for Mayfield, but I have a hard time believing that the Browns are seriously considering such a request. It might be a ploy to see if the Browns can get Mayfield to refuse such a request knowing it might give the franchise legal grounds to suspend Mayfield if he refused.

If the story is legit, Mayfield and his agent need to be cautious, imo. I don't know how the Browns regain Mayfield's trust, but since he is under contract, it might not be a wise move to refuse such a request from the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lord let's hope it doesn't come to it, BUT if it did: For $18.9M.... I don't care how butt hurt BM is - I don't care what he thinks, or feels ... and if KS and BM had a falling out sit them at a table and talk until it''s resolved and ground rules for the season are set .... but for $18.9M, get over yourself and start playing for your next contract.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Again, you supporting this guy playing without addressing the civil suits against him before playing is so sad. With every post you solidify your opinion that football is more important than the women's complaints.

How about this, steve. Since you think I am such a terrible person, perhaps it is best we don't speak to one another again? I have offered that deal to two other posters, but they have declined. What say you? Do you want to fight or how about we just go our separate ways and not engage in further conversation? I do not like your accusations against my character and instead of responding in kind, I would prefer we no longer converse.

Vers, this is not Let's Make a Deal. You appear to be a lil upset whenever anyone questions your posts. You are the one that took this to the next level by posting:

This is pure opinion, but I feel that if Watson had been traded to Atlanta or New Orleans, their respective local media and fan base would never have made as much stink as our dumb-ass fans and local media has about the situation. Our own people are actually lobbying for a stiff suspension. Sometimes, I think Browns fans are the dumbest fans in the league and local media is right there w/them. Look at this board. We actually have people working very hard to get others to trash Watson and the team. Absurd. And I can't wait for the next "Analytics, Had Enough Yet" thread.

Just because I totally disagree with your Watson loving azz support under any condition doesn't make me a dumb-ass fan or any other fan that disagrees with you. I'd be willing to bet that there's a heck of a lot more Browns fans that are freaking embarrassed and ashamed that the Cleveland Browns are even considering playing Watson in any capacity with these allegations hanging over his head. It's a disgrace to the city, the team and shows a total lack of compassion for the women in question. Unlike you who couldn't give a crap as long as Watson can play, I want what is at the moment an innocent Watson to have his day in court to address the charges levied against him before he takes a single snap for the team I support. Nobody has to lobby to get others to trash Watson, him and his lawyers are doing just fine with that on their own.

For a guy that spends most of his day assassinating anyone's character that disagrees with him, it takes some pretty big nads to be complaining about attacks on your character because they are now calling you out. AMAZING

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mgh888
Lord let's hope it doesn't come to it, BUT if it did: For $18.9M.... I don't care how butt hurt BM is - I don't care what he thinks, or feels ... and if KS and BM had a falling out sit them at a table and talk until it''s resolved and ground rules for the season are set .... but for $18.9M, get over yourself and start playing for your next contract.

I'd rather we not have to play Baker, but totally agree with your sentiment. Browns 1st. If we need you and we pay you, you play. Hopefully really good.

Legend
Legend
I can't think of a scenario where it would be in Baker's better interest to refuse to play. He had a VERY down year last year with the injuries; this would be an opportunity to not only show teams that he's healthy, but able to play at a level above what was shown in 2021.

Still, I don't think the team will do it.
It makes sense if they want to win games during an extended suspension, and if the team decided to go that route, it's pretty much a no-brainer that Baker would play, I think, but I would expect the team to prefer to roll with the much lesser Brisset than allow for any chance of Baker looking good and then Watson potentially falling flat coming off the suspension (and the year away before that). That scenario would literally be the ultimate "it's so Cleveland" thing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I do have a small worry that the coaching staff wouldn't necessarily run things to allow him to fully light things up because the potential down side and worst-case scenario for the FO is if Baker comes in and lights it up and then gets traded or is sat when Watson comes back from suspension, and Watson falls flat or otherwise struggles.

I think there is zero chance any coaching staff would sabotage their own career in order to make a player look bad.

And I get called out by a multitude of posters for suggesting that Atlanta and New Orleans fans would have been less harsh on their team signing Watson than Brown's fans. LMAO

I agree on the sabotage part. It would be stupid and grounds for dismissal.

I am not sure about the fan and media reaction. We only really know about the experience as Browns fans. It's hard for me to put myself in to the shoes of a Saints fan because I haven't lived it my whole life, nor have followed the New Orleans sport media so I don't have any history on who they are and how they tend to report.

I will say that given our history over the last 23 years, the media in Cleveland usually does angle towards the negative because history shows that usually produces the more accurate outcome. That doesn't mean that is how it is going to be, it just means that they are people and like to be on the correct side of history with their opinions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
There was a reason why I mentioned Atlanta and New Orleans and not Carolina. I heard reports from Kimberly Martin stating how excited their respective fan bases were about the possibility of signing Watson. She said something about them dancing in the streets of Atlanta. Somehow, that morphed into "would it be different in any other NFL city;" ..."it would have been worse in other cities;" and finally "...only the local media made it a story." Misquoting is a real thing on here. Then, about a half dozen gang up one one poster and perception becomes reality. I saw them doing it to you in the political forum when you made the statement about religion, morals, etc and you were misquoted and about 6 guys jumped down your throat. Two of those guys participated in both situations. I actually defended you in that post because I can't stand the gang mentality that is lame form of social media bullying.

With that said.......I will stand by my original claim that the outrage would not have been nearly as bad in cities like Atlanta and New Orleans. And I will stand by my claim that a man should not be punished w/out a fair trial. And all the personal attacks will do nothing to change my mind and will only further my resolve.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/06/22 08:21 AM.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The following is from Peter King's Football Morning in America. I'm only posting the two segments that deal with the Browns but if you want to read Peter King's take on all 22 of the the individuals he writes about, click the link below...it is a good read. The first two individuals King mentions pertain to the Browns.

FMIA: The 22 Most Influential NFL People This Season Includes Sean McVay, Trey Lance and an Amazon VP

link

Haven’t done what I’m about to do for a while, but I thought it might be fun and generate some good discussion.

Who are the 22 most influential NFL people in 2022? (I cheated. I did a bonus person, number 23.)

I tried to mix the business of the sport with the sport of the sport. They’re all in here: eight from the playing field (and a ninth player for a specific reason as the bonus person) six from the league office, two coaches, a media guru, a media kingmaker, four owners (one new, one reviled, two mega-men), 20 men, two women. There are surprises at numbers six and 10, but not surprises to me.

The landscape of the game is changing. I’m sorry that the eight players of 22 are all quarterbacks, but I tried to make an argument for Aaron Donald or Davante Adams or Tyreek Hill, but I couldn’t find it in my heart to put a Donald, say, in the 22 most significant figures of football in 2022. Quarterbacks rule. Argue with me: peterkingfmia@gmail.com will be the repository for your arguments.

Here is my list of the 22 most influential NFL people in 2022:

The Lead: 22 Influential
1. Roger Goodell, NFL commissioner
Throughout a tenure of major growth for the league—Goodell will mark 16 years in office on Sept. 1, nine months shy of predecessor Paul Tagliabue—the commissioner has survived storms, some of his own doing. He’s got three major ones coming this year: presiding over the presumed appeal of the presumed sanction to Cleveland quarterback Deshaun Watson; what do with the owner driving the Washington franchise into the ground, Daniel Snyder; and how to adjudicate the inter-owner brawl over who pays the $790-million bill in the settlement over the Rams relocation from St. Louis. Messes abound.

We had all assumed Goodell, 63, would be riding off into the sunset from the high-pressure gig by now. But he doesn’t really want to do anything else. Those who know him say he wants to stay in the job past the end of his current deal (March 2024). I’d expect an extension of three to four years in the not-too-distant future. But, I’m told, that extension will expire before the next CBA negotiations, so his successor, a total mystery right now, can have a couple of years to get used to the heat of the job.

2. Deshaun Watson, Cleveland quarterback
Watson will be more in the news for his legal troubles than his football exploits. It’s already happening, which was the easiest 2022 NFL prediction of this entire season to nail after Cleveland traded for him and signed him to a fully guaranteed five-year, $230-million contract. Jimmy Haslam will find that this contract—the biggest guaranteed contract in the 102-year history of professional football—may one day be the key to the Browns winning an NFL title. But for now, it’s the distraction that keeps on distracting. Two weeks ago it was a sordid HBO Real Sports story with two of the 22 women accusing him of sexual assault in civil suits. Last week, it was a 23rd woman coming forward to sue Watson, with graphic and quite disturbing charges about three encounters with the quarterback—which Watson’s lawyer denied.

It’s hard to imagine the NFL’s disciplinary process won’t result in a long suspension of Watson, or some suspension this year and perhaps more next year after the civil suits have been adjudicated. I am still amazed that Haslam showed so much faith in a man with 22 (now 23) women accusing him of sexual misconduct.

Last point: Some franchises with nowhere near the Haslam family fortune (Mike Brown’s Bengals and Dean Spanos’ Chargers) have quarterbacks who are months from negotiating huge contracts with young quarterbacks who have had Watson-type impact. The Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert deals could be nightmare contracts to negotiate, thanks to Haslam’s bizarre largesse.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I find it hard to believe the Browns would be willing to bring back Baker after all the shenanigans he has pulled. Teams move on from players all the time and the players keep their mouth shut. Not Baker. Letters and pod casts where he blamed coaching changes, players not wanting to win, etc and how he felt disrespected by the organization. Players like Matt Ryans and Jimmy G have accomplished much more in their careers and did not utter a peep. If Watson is indeed facing a long suspension, I wonder if the Browns might consider Jimmy G once he is healthy? He is about 3 weeks away from throwing. He is beloved by his teammates and will be an "adult" in the locker room.

I could be dead wrong about whether or not the Browns would bring Baker back, but I think it would be a horrible move on different levels. For example, if Baker struggles again, the new movement will be to fire Stefanski. There are just too many people who won't come to grips w/the reality of Baker Mayfield.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Two questions:

Did OBJ reduce his salary last year to around $7.25 million last year in order to secure his free agency?

Would Baker be wise to agree to a reduced salary in order to help him find a new home?

Legend
Legend
Not applicable. OBJ made it clear he was going to sit on the floor in the middle of the room and pout until he got his way. Baker is not going to be granted free agency so there is no option for that in order to "find a new home".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tedy Bruschi was just on Get Up and said that if Watson is facing a long suspension [8 games] that he thinks the Browns and Baker need to put aside their feelings and work things out because this is such a talented roster and it's about winning. I respect Bruschi for his intelligence and the fact that he was a leader on a team that won multiple Super Bowls. Dan Graziano said he thinks too much water is under the bridge and that he doesn't think the two parties can work things out. We'll see......

I guess the biggest thing is how long will the suspension be? Bruschi thought 8 games was a lot. Yet, crfs seemed to indicate it would be much longer. He is usually dead-on w/these types of predictions.

Legend
Legend
Just two comments regarding the post.

Watson contract.

"The Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert deals could be nightmare contracts to negotiate, thanks to Haslam’s bizarre largesse."

Ah gee, that hurts so much. What a crock. Contracts are a negotiations between agents and owners. Contracts should be guaranteed that is why you sign a contract. If I were a player of course I want the contract guaranteed.

Synder in Washington is every bit as problematic as Watson. Yet it is hardly talked about? The story is about a entire culture inside a franchise all of it was about sexual harrassment. No juicy details?

The Kraft story got buried quick?

Peter King I listened to him on Florio's show. IMO he is full of it. His take was Haslam made the worst decision etc. Please. 13 teams were interested. Four teams made pre-qualified offers. So, spare me about Haslam and Cleveland.

I do not want to minimize what did or did occur in the Watson case. The allegations are serious. However, way worse has gone on within the NFL.

There is a line between non-violence and violence.

There is a difference between a felony and a misdemeanor. There is a difference between criminal charge and civil case.

Perspective should be kept in mind.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c:

I find it hard to believe the Browns would be willing to bring back Baker after all the shenanigans he has pulled.

Ok...enough is enough...I'm throwing the BS flag here:

"...all the shenanigaqns he pulled..." What shenanigans have been anywhere near as damning to the organization as the courting of DW with his 24-and-counting accusations? If the mindset of the Org is such that it can put up with humiliation from the new face of the Org, then what Baker has done his entire life is like peeing in the ocean.

Teams move on from players all the time and the players keep their mouth shut. Not Baker. Letters and pod casts where he blamed coaching changes, players not wanting to win, etc and how he felt disrespected by the organization.

Baker commented exactly ONE TIME about playerS moving on. Your sentence implies that there were many players who moved on and Baker couldn't keep his mouth shut about it...when it happened ONE TIME many years ago. Here is what he said about Duke Johnson when Baker WAS ASKED to comment on whether the Duke situation was awkward: "It's not awkward. No. It's self-inflicted. It is what it is. That's not awkward for anybody else in this building. He's got to do his job. He said he's a professional, I hope he does his job." There is absolutely nothing in his response that merits the continued bashing of the guy. You regularly post as if he told Duke to go to heaven and then spoke up every time someone moved on. There ^ is the quote. You are either lying about it or purposely deceiving others to bend to your agenda. IT HAPPENED ONE TIME!!!!

"Letters and podcasts where he blamed..." More deceit or lies. There was absolutely nothing of the sort in the letter...not letters with an S at the end...letter...where he blamed anyone for anything. I know you were a teacher so there is no way you wrote that without trying to trump up your point. The letter was harmless. Regarding the podcast, not podcastS: He actually DID have (4) head coaches in (3) years...there is no disputing that. His first coach is the worst coach in NFL history. His star #1 WR never wanted to be on the team...certainly not at all for 2021...and we are no strangers to players going through the motions for the $$$. Lastly, how could he NOT feel disrespected by the Org? Nothing he said was untrue...they might have been better left unsaid...but using the truth as a way to bolster your hatred for the guy has been called out.

Players like Matt Ryans and Jimmy G have accomplished much more in their careers and did not utter a peep. If Watson is indeed facing a long suspension, I wonder if the Browns might consider Jimmy G once he is healthy? He is about 3 weeks away from throwing. He is beloved by his teammates and will be an "adult" in the locker room.

Well...Jimmy G has played for exactly (2) head coaches in his entire career. One is the GOAT...the other is your favorite coach in the whole wide world. I'm not going to bother to look up Matt Ryan's coaches. I can't imagine either guy staying quiet while a lesser QB is anointed the starter...or when their star receiver's Daddy posts on Instagram why his boy is the victim of the QB...let alone the other BS Baker has had to endure. Through the entire OBJ debacle, Baker didn't say a word. But you will never, ever type that.

I could be dead wrong about whether or not the Browns would bring Baker back, but I think it would be a horrible move on different levels. For example, if Baker struggles again, the new movement will be to fire Stefanski. There are just too many people who won't come to grips w/the reality of Baker Mayfield.

So Baker will get Ski fired if the team fails with Baker at the helm...got it. Classic drive-by shooting...again. Take up bandwidth bashing Baker (again) and then slip in a little football talk at the end.

Baker has a lot of warts...but those ^ are made-up BS twisted into something they weren't.

3 members like this: Hoodly, Tackman, PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FATE
Not applicable. OBJ made it clear he was going to sit on the floor in the middle of the room and pout until he got his way. Baker is not going to be granted free agency so there is no option for that in order to "find a new home".

I don't recall a quote from OBJ about sitting in the middle of the floor and pouting until he got his way. I may have missed it. I do recall a quote from Baker about it being best for the two parties to part ways. I recall him saying there were teammates who did not want to win and instead were playing for their retirement fund. I don't recall OBJ blaming coaching changes. I do recall Baker doing so.

Seems to me that Baker has been far more demonstrative than OBJ ever was.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, you are resorting to personal attacks to make your point. Take a freaking hike.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Never mind.

You should stick with that post. Probably your best on this subject. We all say things that require a "NEVER MIND"

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
There seems to be some disagreement about what Baker actually said during his podcast and words like liar are being thrown around. Here is a video of a discussion between two former NFL guys about Baker's podcast. The video also has clips of Baker's podcast where he actually did make those comments. Watch for yourself and tell me who the liar is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Would Baker be wise to agree to a reduced salary in order to help him find a new home?

I did not think this was an option because the 5th year option was exercised and it is fully guaranteed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not sure, Frank. I heard Keyshaun Johnson talking about that is what Baker should do.

Even if it was permitted, I am not sure if Baker should go that route. It's his money and he isn't obligated to give it back. I was just thinking along the lines of trying to find a new home ASAP.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Mike Florio is, but no, not the rest of the national media. Hell, while multiple teams were vying for Watson's services, the national media was excited about which team would win the right to trade for him. It's our own fans and media that have led to witch hunt.

Trying to act like you didn't actually say it wasn't the national media is hilarious. This is and has always been a national story. You claimed it wasn't and then tried to deny you said it. Are you sure you don't want to give us another lecture about class?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
'' The Kraft story got buried quick? ''

Yeah, number 18 on that list of most influential NFL people got caught getting a happy ending massage too but police obtained the video illegally so the charges were dropped. Maybe Watson should get Kraft's lawyer.

V
Legend
Legend
V
If anyone is simply interested in the comments Baker made about players not wanting to win comes at around the 7 minute mark of the video I posted a little while ago. I don't even have any idea where WSU got the "moving on" comment? I never said that.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
24th Lawsuit Is Officially Filed Against Deshaun Watson

Last Updated 11:56 AM, June 6, 2022 EDT – Mike Florio
link

As expected, a 24th lawsuit has been filed against Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson.

The paperwork officially has been submitted. Attorney Tony Buzbee issued the following statement.

“Today we filed the twenty-fourth case alleging sexual misconduct against Deshaun Watson,” Buzbee said. “The allegations made in this new case are strikingly similar to those made by many of the other victims. Lost in the media frenzy surrounding Deshaun Watson is that these are twenty-four strong, courageous women who, despite ridicule, legal shenanigans, and intense media scrutiny, continue to stand firm for what is right. Setting aside the legal wrangling, the complicity of the NFL, or the failures of the criminal justice system, the resounding story that should be told here is that these women are true heroes. I will say again, our entire team is incredibly proud to represent these women, and we look forward to the day when we can lay out their cases in detail in front of a jury.”

PFT has obtained a copy of the complaint. We’ll be reviewing it and summarizing the allegations later today.

If Watson’s lawyers, Rusty Hardin and Leah Graham, issue a statement in response to the latest complaint, we will post it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am so amused that whenever anything about Watson's suspension comes up the Baker Haters are lightning quick on this board to get more bashing in on Mayfield. I mean come on, Mayfield saying he had 4 head coaches and multiple coaches in 3 years was, wait for it - TRUE. That some players are in it for the money and not the team, wait for it - TRUE. That he felt disrespected because the Browns told him one thing and now are doing another - uh oh, TRUE. That he wrote a thank you letter to the fans - the shame. There's no way in hell the Browns can accept having that type of player on the field. Let's just suck it up and wait for Watson to serve his suspension. After all, he's a grown up with 24 civil suits against him for sexual harassment, abuse, and solicitation. That's way more tolerable as a team and organization than that cancer Mayfield! LOL

2 members like this: Tackman, mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just in case someone still claims this is a local story or only Florio is talking about this outside of the Cleveland media and fans. Number 24 as was predicted just last week.

Deshaun Watson hit by 24th lawsuit from another woman accusing him of sexual misconduct

A 24th woman has sued Deshaun Watson and accused him of sexual misconduct in 2020, marking the second time in a week that a new lawsuit has been filed against the quarterback after all the others were filed in March and April 2021.

Watson has denied wrongdoing, but the recent spate of new allegations has clouded the beginning of his run as the new star of the Cleveland Browns, a team that recently gave him a record guaranteed contract of $230 million over five years.

In the newest lawsuit filed this week in Harris County, Texas, a massage therapist in Houston said she gave Watson two massages at her apartment in August 2020 and that he masturbated in front of her and ejaculated during the second encounter.

The woman said she left the room and ran into the bathroom to clean Watson’s ejaculate off her.

“Watson offered no apology or explanation for his conduct,” the lawsuit stated. “He instead got dressed, paid plaintiff $150 via Cash App and left. Plaintiff was left humiliated and traumatized. Shortly after the massage, plaintiff called her close friend to tell her what happened. They both were mortified by Watson’s conduct. There were no further massage sessions. She shortly thereafter quit massage therapy.”

The woman's lawsuit stated that "even though she was always professional

with Watson, as she has been with every client, she at times blames herself."

Her suit states she suffers from depression and anxiety and has had difficulty sleeping after the encounter.

The woman’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, also represents the other 23 women who have sued Watson. He issued a statement Monday:

“Today we filed the twenty-fourth case alleging sexual misconduct against Deshaun Watson," the statement said. "The allegations made in this new case are strikingly similar to those made by many of the other victims. Lost in the media frenzy surrounding Deshaun Watson is that these are twenty-four strong, courageous women who, despite ridicule, legal shenanigans, and intense media scrutiny, continue to stand firm for what is right. Setting aside the legal wrangling, the complicity of the NFL, or the failures of the criminal justice system, the resounding story that should be told here is that these women are true heroes. I will say again, our entire team is incredibly proud to represent these women, and we look forward to the day when we can lay out their cases in detail in front of a jury.”

The other lawsuit filed last week alleges he had three massage encounters with a woman in 2020 who said he exposed himself to her, touched her between the legs, requested sex and asked to be touched in his private areas. Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, told USA TODAY Sports that the latter woman “has no believability by anyone who knows her” and has had a “vendetta against Deshaun for a year and a half.”

The other lawsuits filed in 2021 generally say Watson contacted women on social media for massages and then exposed himself to them, caused his genitals to touch them without their consent and in some cases tried to coerce them into oral sex.

The NFL has been investigating the allegations and could suspend him if he is found to have violated the league’s personal conduct policy. Watson, 26, has not been arrested or charged. Hardin has said the women are all lying and and blames the women’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, for what he says is being “willing to say just about anything to get more publicity.” Hardin also said Buzbee sees Watson as a “potential payday.”

Hardin said three of the plaintiffs engaged with consensual sex with Watson, which the women dispute in their lawsuits.

In March, two separate grand juries in the Houston area declined to indict Watson on criminal charges after being presented with 10 combined complaints filed by women against Watson. The civil cases continue and are not going to trial until March 2023 at the earliest.

Watson was with the Browns Monday morning at their golf outing in Rocky River, Ohio.

Asked about the 24th lawsuit , Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said, "With that, we're just trying to be respectful of the process and let that take care of it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...cleveland-browns-quarterback/7470996001/

To the mods, I hope the words used to describe watson's disgusting behavior are not in violation of the rules. It's a shame that the conduct of one of our own players falls into that gray area. If they are against the board rules, my apologies.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought the title of the thread was The Browns starting QB? Are you saying we are only permitted to talk about Watson's legal issues on this thread in the Pure Football forum? Btw--------I did not bring Baker back up until others suggested the possibility of him starting again for us next season. You may think you can control what I respond to, but that does not mean you can impose your will upon me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
I am so amused that whenever anything about Watson's suspension comes up the Baker Haters are lightning quick on this board to get more bashing in on Mayfield. I mean come on, Mayfield saying he had 4 head coaches and multiple coaches in 3 years was, wait for it - TRUE. That some players are in it for the money and not the team, wait for it - TRUE. That he felt disrespected because the Browns told him one thing and now are doing another - uh oh, TRUE. That he wrote a thank you letter to the fans - the shame. There's no way in hell the Browns can accept having that type of player on the field. Let's just suck it up and wait for Watson to serve his suspension. After all, he's a grown up with 24 civil suits against him for sexual harassment, abuse, and solicitation. That's way more tolerable as a team and organization than that cancer Mayfield! LOL

That's a long list of heinous character flaws no?

But if you try to get off the team every season you are a Brown. If you get your dad to release a video chitting all over another player - that's cool .... We want THAT guy back. And .... the guy with 24 sexual abuse allegations ??? We gonna give him a free pass cause nothing is proven, it's just a bunch of accusations.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I wonder if the Baker Gang will start to trash Myles Garrett because he said it wasn't his job to determine Watson's guilt and he also tried to recruit OBJ to come back to Cleveland?

M
Legend
Legend
M
For anyone like me that prefers reading to watching.... here's a good chunk of the Baker podcast. What's so funny - this "HUGE STORY" about Baker and what he said about players more interested in earning $$ than winning ... I goggled several versions of that phrase and this "HUGE STORY" doesn't show up anywhere. Here's my search and below it was the best hit, maybe someone else can find news and "print" media on this? But it doesn't actually cover the "HUGE STORY".

https://www.google.com/search?q=Baker+Mayfield+guys+more+interested+in+paycheck+than+winning+podcast&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS959US959&sxsrf=ALiCzsYEaH1vqEhNCJwjgNPhxWYTC1RUsg%3A1654535492255&ei=RDWeYsiRD-H9wbkP54SS6Ak&ved=0ahUKEwjIw6KCqZn4AhXhfjABHWeCBJ0Q4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=Baker+Mayfield+guys+more+interested+in+paycheck+than+winning+podcast&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6CAgAELADEIYDSgQIQRgBSgQIRhgAUNoFWP8QYL8SaAFwAHgAgAFSiAHxBJIBATiYAQCgAQHIAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ike-me-but-i-have-to-earn-their-respect/

Toward the end of the 90-minute interview, Mayfield was asked if he was excited to get guys to rally around him in a new locker room. The quarterback made it clear that his process isn’t going to be about trying to get guys to like him.

“I’m not going to force it. I’m going to be myself,” Mayfield said. “Because I feel like I tried to force it when things on the field weren’t going well, like in the past couple of years. I feel like I’m going to go in there and be myself, because that’s worked for me in the past. I’m going to go in with the same work ethic and mentality. And if they don’t like me, that’s fine. But when I step on the field and I play as confident as I am and what I think I’m going to do on the field the next time I get a chance to do it, I’ll earn the respect of the guys who didn’t appreciate it from the beginning.

“And if I’m worried about getting them to like me, what am I doing? They don’t care if I like them either. They want their quarterback to win. They’re trying to get a paycheck. If their team wins, they get paid. So the guys who don’t really personally like me, that’s fine. But I have to have their respect. And the way I do that is just working my ass off, being myself. Because you can get sniffed out in a f—ing heartbeat if you’re fake. They’ll sniff that out quick.”

Mayfield wasn’t asked about the report from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen that the Browns wanted “an adult” at quarterback — a comment Browns owner Jimmy Haslam denied making. But the quarterback did acknowledge that he’s working on improving at leading professional teammates in the locker room.

As Mayfield put it, one of a quarterback’s most important jobs is to get everyone to stave off complacency.

“It’s like, how can I get the best out of people that are making a s—t-ton of money?” Mayfield said. “Because I could always motivate people when we weren’t making money. That was easy. I could get in their face, I could do all that because, you know what, we were on the same playing field.

“You get a pension after four years, you get benefits and all that. So how do you motivate people who are at that point that have already reached it? That’s the biggest battle for me right now. I can motivate myself. I know how to do that. I haven’t done it, always, correctly. But I know how to do it. How can I get it out of everybody else? Because that’s a leadership perspective of being a quarterback. I have to get everybody else around me to be better than they really think they are.”

Mayfield added “a bunch” of his energy is going into his leadership, in part because he knows how he’s perceived and portrayed through the media matters for his teammates and their families.

“When they go home at night, they’re going to talk about how my quarterback acts,” Mayfield said. “And he better be a responsible guy that actually cares about them as human beings — not just winning. And how do you galvanize that? And that’s a huge issue.”

At this point, no one really knows where Mayfield’s next destination will be or when he’ll get there. But whoever he plays for could be getting a quarterback with a renewed appreciation for leadership and how much it matters as a team’s QB1.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

I wonder if the Baker Gang will start to trash Myles Garrett because he said it wasn't his job to determine Watson's guilt and he also tried to recruit OBJ to come back to Cleveland?

No, you'll just keep trashing Baker.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A couple of things to those w/an open mind. I did not once compare what Baker said vs the allegations against Watson. That was manufactured yet again by two posters. A conversation came up about Baker being the starter for the Browns if Watson serves a lengthy suspension. One poster argued that the Browns mistreated Baker. Others argued that Baker should play no matter what. I voiced a concern that the Browns might not want Baker after some of the things that went down. I was called a liar and a deceiver on some of the things I said. I provided a video that shows Baker making the comments that I referenced. I did not lie. I did not compare what Baker said vs Watson's charges. I don't know if the charges against Watson are true or not. I do know that I heard Baker make the comments he made. There can be no disputing those comments no matter how many times people try and change the narrative. Secondly, who ever said it was a "huge story?" No one. Another lame attempt to mislead other posters.

M
Legend
Legend
M
You keep saying that what Baker said is a HUGE deal and that players won't ever forgive him for talking about other players who care more about the $$$ than winning. I am pretty sure every poster who has been paying attention for the last 3 or 4 weeks since whenever the podcast was will testify to that ... you have bludgeoned Baker to death with that. If you've mentioned it once I bet you have mentioned it - honest to god - 20 times. So you are now saying that it's not a big deal? Not a huge story?

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I thought the title of the thread was The Browns starting QB? Are you saying we are only permitted to talk about Watson's legal issues on this thread in the Pure Football forum? Btw--------I did not bring Baker back up until others suggested the possibility of him starting again for us next season. You may think you can control what I respond to, but that does not mean you can impose your will upon me.

As you learn more information about Watson does it make you feel more certain that Watson will start the season as the Browns starting QB..?

Each of us has our own thoughts about how these cases are going to impact on who is going to start for the Browns. I happen to believe the information that became public in just the last couple of weeks has greatly damaged the possibility that Watson will be our starter. Now, depending on how the NFL views the latest information could be a determining factor in how long Watson is going to sidelined.

Make no mistake about it ...vers... some of the information brought contained in the legal cases is likely to affect the Watson suspension...can't separate the two issues. But, keep in mind, I don't care about Watson's legal issues..I care about how Watson's alleged conduct affects who is going to be the Browns starting QB.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c:

A couple of things to those w/an open mind. I did not once compare what Baker said vs the allegations against Watson. That was manufactured yet again by two posters. A conversation came up about Baker being the starter for the Browns if Watson serves a lengthy suspension. One poster argued that the Browns mistreated Baker. Others argued that Baker should play no matter what. I voiced a concern that the Browns might not want Baker after some of the things that went down. I was called a liar and a deceiver on some of the things I said. I provided a video that shows Baker making the comments that I referenced. I did not lie. I did not compare what Baker said vs Watson's charges. I don't know if the charges against Watson are true or not. I do know that I heard Baker make the comments he made. There can be no disputing those comments no matter how many times people try and change the narrative. Secondly, who ever said it was a "huge story?" No one. Another lame attempt to mislead other posters.

You're a funny guy. For a guy that has posted 20 or 30 times that the character issues exposed by Mayfield's time in Cleveland and reaction to being backstabbed by the Browns has resulted in a hate at the level the other Browns players would never want him back is not changing your narrative. Then saying more than 20 to 30 times that golden boy Watson's character is welcomed with freaking open arms by not only every player on the Browns but would be by any team in the league even though he has now (and counting) 24 civil suits against him claiming sexual harassment, abuse, and now clearly solicitation. That my friend, without saying it, is making a comparison between the two players in any simple-minded person.

You continue without hesitation to bash Mayfield even to the point that you question not only his football ability but his character going forward with any other team. Yet you refuse to talk about or even consider that there may be a large portion of not only the Cleveland Browns team but the entire NFL that thinks that Watson is a freaking scumbag and that if the civil claims have any credibility, they wouldn't be caught dead playing with such a person.

Contrary to what you may think, there are people that believe abusing a woman is very bad. Someone who abuses 24 or more women is freaking disgusting. I'm willing to bet that there are current Browns players that are disgusted to see Watson on the same field as them. If you don't believe that then I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you because you are living in a totally different world than normal people. Guess what, there's more to life than freaking football. Football doesn't give you a moral pass because you happen to be good at a game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Remember former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle? (spelling) iirc? That high forehead having smiling face, he seemed to love football and worked to see the game remain a piece of artwork that was appreciated for the beauty it had. We could use another Pete Rozelle type for NFL commissioner, but they don't come along every day.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mac

As you learn more information about Watson does it make you feel more certain that Watson will start the season as the Browns starting QB..?

Each of us has our own thoughts about how these cases are going to impact on who is going to start for the Browns. I happen to believe the information that became public in just the last couple of weeks has greatly damaged the possibility that Watson will be our starter. Now, depending on how the NFL views the latest information could be a determining factor in how long Watson is going to sidelined.

Make no mistake about it ...vers... some of the information brought contained in the legal cases is likely to affect the Watson suspension...can't separate the two issues. But, keep in mind, I don't care about Watson's legal issues..I care about how Watson's alleged conduct affects who is going to be the Browns starting QB.

Not sure what your post has to do w/what I said, but I'll play. It looks like he is going to be suspended. However, it is not my job to determine a man's guilt or innocence when I don't have all the facts and it is a he said vs she said case.

On the other hand, I have heard w/my own ears what Baker said. There is also a difference between a court of law and a locker room. Some of us can make that distinction and others are unwilling to do so. That is the choice we all are entitled to. However, I am not going to get into an exchanging of personal insults w/posters who clearly want for that to be the outcome. Also, I am not going to run and hide from expressing my opinions if those same posters use unsavory tactics to shut me up.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...cleveland-browns-quarterback/7470996001/

To the mods, I hope the words used to describe watson's disgusting behavior are not in violation of the rules. It's a shame that the conduct of one of our own players falls into that gray area. If they are against the board rules, my apologies.

His disgusting behavior? Has it been proven that it happened yet or do you assume it has to be true? If it did happen, was it consensual? Is she lying? There ARE massage therapists who do offer services like this at the end of a massage, whether you want to believe it or not.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
A
Legend
Legend
A
So, if I have this right, YOU are allowed to bash a quarterback, but if any one disagrees with you, they're trying to shut you up?

You can have an opinion, but if someone has a different opinion, they are wrong?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Originally Posted by cfrs15
My guess is that the NFL hammers Watson, similar to what the MLB did with Trevor Bauer, and he’s gone until 2023. If that happens then the trade is a disaster.

That's kind of what I'm wondering/thinking right now. IF it happens, look at the assets that we probably could/would lose before the 'savior' ever plays a down.

And, I just highly doubt if DW IS banned for a year or more, that Baker would have any interest in playing this year.........

As time goes on, we'll find out more on ALL fronts.

I look at it like this, what does the NFL have to lose or gain by throwing the book Watson vs going easy on him. This has nothing to do with guilt or innocence or due process. The NFL is a private enterprise, they can mete out rewards and punishments as they see fit, when they see fit and deal with the fallout. I know there’s an independent judge but ultimately the league can do what it feels it really needs to do.

Throw the book

Pros:
-The look tough and in tune with public sentiment/outrage.
-The problem “goes away”. Literally, he’s not around for a long time and they stop getting constant questions. The whole thing can just die down for while. This is the biggest gain for them IMO.
-By making the Browns look like fools, maybe they soften the ridiculous precedent that was set with that contract.

Cons:
-They’re going to have to mix it up with the players union.
-They raise the bar for punishment of player that commit future infractions. I think they’d rather not be in the behavior policing business and the nfl thrives when talent is on the field, not banished to Siberia.
-While the Browns are not among the league’s favorite at the moment, they do know that putting Watson out for more than a year is going to seriously tank one of the league franchises. They’re generally not in favor of hurting the individual franchises.

Go easy

Pros:
-Maybe they take some lumps in the short term but they stay out of the behavior policing business. Keep the product on the shelves.
-Hurts the Browns less.
…Can’t think of any others

Cons:
-It continues to balloon as a national story and turns into a “cultural moment” or turning point that they would officially be on the wrong side of. The ridiculously rewarding contract coupled with the light punishment creates enough outrage that it pushes past a cultural tipping point. This is the biggest risk issue IMO
-They’ll be expected to go easy by franchises and players on future stuff, the other side of the precedent coin.

Am I missing anything?

When I look at this as a risk matrix, I see a big punishment coming. I just hope the Browns act with more anticipation than they did in all this so far.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 06/06/22 06:25 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns starting QB...

Link Copied to Clipboard