Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Best I remember Bernie did not have what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl either. I do not remember anyone being so idiotic as to say we did not get to the super bowl because of Bernie. Apparently we blame the qb now. I don’t think we have gotten smarter.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
JC

Glad the drama is over and don’t have any ill-will towards Baker. It was obvious that he wasn’t going to be here this season so it was best to cut ties.

I’m much more concerned with how the Watson situation plays out now.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
Also, I hope people aren't ignoring the elephant in the room.

Stefanski and his play calling is still a problem. Something needs to be done about that.

Agree.. I feel like some of his play calling intentionally didn't play to baker's strengths... I'm hoping his play calling improves..

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent
I don't think it's a gimme that Baker starts. Do you think he's just going to be handed the starting job?

I think he'll beat Sam Darnold out.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FrankZ
As part of settling lawsuits the accusers agree to drop the accusations, and waive the right to further legal proceedings. They are not longer pointing their fingers at him. They are no longer saying he did anything. in a legal complaint. They can still think whatever they wish in their own heads, but they aren't going to continue to have a legal complaint against him. Those 20 complaints are settled and gone.

You seem to not understand that, but you think you get to speak for everyone. Next time try speaking only for you.

So he paid them off and the facts changed? Weak sauce.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Mayfield is not a QB that can get a team to a SB. That's been proven

Rookie year - on a 1-31 team.
2nd year - Freddie Kitchens.
3rd Year - a missed call from going to the Championship Game.
4th Year - injured.

There's a lot to criticize Baker's performances on. Proclaiming the book is written is more than asinine.

I liked and agree.

But like many books, if it starts out dull and uninteresting, many times if gets put down to never be finished.
No doubt this is a big chapter for Baker.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Moved to proper thread

Last edited by oobernoober; 07/11/22 08:10 AM. Reason: there are whole threads for this

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
J/C
I'm just here waiting for the season to begin!!! i absolutely cannot wait to come back here to watch all the people CRYING after Baker destroys the CLOWNS week 1...
All the while getting paid 10 million by the Clowns to do it.....

An alternative opinion might proceed along these lines. I cannot wait to come back here crying about Baker's supporting cast and that the Panthers need to fire their coach after the Browns sack him a few times and Baker throws a 4th quarter interception that effectively ends the game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
J/C
I'm just here waiting for the season to begin!!! i absolutely cannot wait to come back here to watch all the people CRYING after Baker destroys the CLOWNS week 1...
All the while getting paid 10 million by the Clowns to do it.....

An alternative opinion might proceed along these lines. I cannot wait to come back here crying about Baker's supporting cast and that the Panthers need to fire their coach after the Browns sack him a few times and Baker throws a 4th quarter interception that effectively ends the game.

Well Baker is on a team whose talent level is ranked 20-23 teams below Cleveland's (ESPN, SI, PFF). If the Panthers are still in the Game by the 4th Q it might say a lot regardless of who ends up winning.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
This game's not going to tell us anything (if Baker starts). Both teams have new qb's with tons of off season obstacles and distractions. There are a lot of wrinkles to iron out before things settle enough to form an opinion.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The Browns Are The Ones Who Look Childish

Monday on 2 Pros and a Cup of Joe, Jonas Knox, Brady Quinn and LaVar Arrington react to the Browns seemingly taking parting shots at Baker Mayfield as Jason Lloyd of the Athletic reports he was "widely viewed as childish and immature" during his time in Cleveland.

Brady Quinn: "I'm on the side of Baker here. If you're gonna call him being immature, it almost seems like whether it's Jimmy Haslam, whoever else is behind it leaking this stuff out, that's more of the immature move here. These two sides have been going their separate ways for a while now, so what's the need for the parting shots? The last thing you want is for him to come back and beat you week one."

Jonas Knox: "What an awful offseason for that team. Just terrible through and through the way they handled all of that. Because where they're at with Baker Mayfield, that's their doing because they let it get out publicly that they were going to go meet with Deshaun Watson."

LaVar Arrington: "You have other owners around the league calling you morons. Relax on parting shots like that. You could do without. Clean up your image, don't make it worse. Take the high road."

https://foxsports1070.iheart.com/fe...gASbAn7R-l2JFhnKj4kZbRvQlc5uWCcQXuxUkWkQ

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

Monday on 2 Pros and a Cup of Joe, Jonas Knox, Brady Quinn and LaVar Arrington react to the Browns seemingly taking parting shots at Baker Mayfield as Jason Lloyd of the Athletic reports he was "widely viewed as childish and immature" during his time in Cleveland.

Brady Quinn: "I'm on the side of Baker here. If you're gonna call him being immature, it almost seems like whether it's Jimmy Haslam, whoever else is behind it leaking this stuff out, that's more of the immature move here. These two sides have been going their separate ways for a while now, so what's the need for the parting shots? The last thing you want is for him to come back and beat you week one."

Jonas Knox: "What an awful offseason for that team. Just terrible through and through the way they handled all of that. Because where they're at with Baker Mayfield, that's their doing because they let it get out publicly that they were going to go meet with Deshaun Watson."

LaVar Arrington: "You have other owners around the league calling you morons. Relax on parting shots like that. You could do without. Clean up your image, don't make it worse. Take the high road."

I agree 100%. It just makes them look worse and worse.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: Floquinho
All Pro
All Pro
Something is seriously wrong with the Browns FO. They just can’t let a week pass by without making a fool of themselves.

Rule number one in every management textbook. Never ever downgrade former employees. Never. Smart people moves on, idiots need to have the last comment.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The 'adult in the room' leak sounded like a rank-and-file member of the org leaked that out. That said, I agree. It's a bad look. You can't be cutting someone loose like this for the (alleged) reasons stated and then follow up with these leaks. Berry and Co need to plug them leaks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I disagree, Baker's juvenile behavior has been in the open for all (who don't have their head in the sand) to see. Not to mention the speculation of who the Atlantic might be quoting is just speculating without a source.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Floquinho
Something is seriously wrong with the Browns FO. They just can’t let a week pass by without making a fool of themselves.

Rule number one in every management textbook. Never ever downgrade former employees. Never. Smart people moves on, idiots need to have the last comment.

Let me quess, you're a Bengals fan.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
What is it that the Browns said AFTER the trade? Did the comments from those like Lloyd and Ridenour come because they just talked to the Brown's FO? I doubt it. I think it was something that was known for a long time.

What kills me is how some still can't admit despite all the information out there that proves otherwise is that Baker isn't even close to who you thought he was. There are tons of stats, film study, and character issues that point otherwise. And instead of blaming Baker, some of you blame everyone else.

2 members like this: Rishuz, FL_Dawg
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
In 2020..Baker's magical year and career highpoint
Under no pressure he was rated 5th
Under pressure his rating was 27th.
The 3rd biggest dropoff in the NFL

Held the ball for 3.05 seconds . One of highest in the NFL

In one score games in the 4th q. He is 31st rated QB since

Passer rating in the final 4 mins of a game. 17.8

19 career 4th q. INTs. Since 2018. Most in the NFL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What is it that the Browns said AFTER the trade? Did the comments from those like Lloyd and Ridenour come because they just talked to the Brown's FO? I doubt it. I think it was something that was known for a long time.

What kills me is how some still can't admit despite all the information out there that proves otherwise is that Baker isn't even close to who you thought he was. There are tons of stats, film study, and character issues that point otherwise. And instead of blaming Baker, some of you blame everyone else.

Imagine calling one self a Browns fan on one hand, and with the other hand hoping for the worst outcome for Watson and this team, because of their twisted loyalty for a mediocre former QB.

It beats all I ever seen.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Rishuz
P
Legend
Legend
P
Making excuses why it's okay for the Browns as an organization to act just like Baker is not attractive. But I guess once you've walked off the edge you may as well go all the way with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
There can be a lot of he-said vs she-said on the Baker/Browns issue, but the fact that his trade value was almost zero is the strongest indicator of who he is as a player and teammate. The idea of the Browns having no leverage is ridiculous. What leverage did the Texans have over teams in the Watson situation?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Baker's stats for the last half of 2020 and the first 1.25 games (prior to injury) of 2021 were easily top 10 material. Can he still be that guy? We will see;

Film study by guys like Jake Burns certainly suggest that Baker has trouble reading defenses at times...whatever was schemed up to cover that issue in 2020 apparently stopped working after the injury. Not at the start of the season...but AFTER THE INJURY. Did he regress mentally? Or was the injury part of the regression? Anyone who has ever read a breakdown by Jake Burns sees that Baker struggles reading the defense at times - and too often apparently for the FO to wait and see if it gets better.

So...you think DW is the victim of a witch hunt and who took the year off pouting over the HC hire...but Baker has character issues. My goodness.

Re: the bolded statement above...you have no idea what "some" think about Baker...or anything else for that matter. I can't think of a SINGLE poster on this board who thinks Baker is without fault. Pointing out the issues with WR cancer/injuries, OL injuries, and Baker's injuries are NOT excuse-making...those are things that actually happened. You get all riled up because you are afraid that non-bashing of Baker will make you look bad for your QB evaluations - which are no better or any worse than anyone else on this board.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Imagine calling one self a Browns fan on one hand, and with the other hand hoping for the worst outcome for Watson and this team, because of their twisted loyalty for a mediocre former QB.

It really does seem that there are a few here that have such an incessant need to win an argument that they are hoping for the Browns to fail just to say "I told you so".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: CapCity Dawg, FL_Dawg, Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P

It really does seem that there are a few here that have such an incessant need to win an argument that they are hoping for the Browns to fail just to say "I told you so".

Sadly his response which you quoted above is a lie first perpetuated by Vers and now being perpetuated by others. Most of us have a wife, a sister, a daughter or daughters or know females who have been treated in similar ways. All it really has to do with is hoping that a predator gets his just desserts. Downplaying and lying about the motivation of those deeply concerned with the way men have been allowed to get away with the abuse of women is a sad statement from those doing so.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: IrishDawg42
All Pro
All Pro

Both of you totally miss the point why the FO get criticized.

Baker isn’t part of the Browns organization any longer in case someone has missed that. Whatever happens most sensible supporters wish Baker the best in his future career. That’s what mature people do.

Unfortunately the Browns FO don’t have the self confidence enough to move forward without being petty. A simple thing like putting your focus on the future is seemingly beyond their competence. Sadly. That’s why they’re criticized.

O
Legend
Legend
O
... or that the Browns have WAY bigger things to worry about than a QB they just traded.

-PrplPplEater
2nd String
2nd String

What is out there other than the OBJ's father situation? This is a serious question since you bring it up a lot. What else has he done since joining the Browns. Don't quote me the drunk thing from college or the planting of the flag. What did he do IN THE LOCKER ROOM that you keep mentioning?

I can pull things that have been reported about Baker getting this team fired up about winning when he arrived. They didn't have that before then. Once he got here, he was the trumpet in the offensive locker room and Garrett was the trumpet in the defensive locker AFTER Mayfield started doing it. Garrett was extremely quiet his first season. To the point that he said he was putting his head down and letting the veterans do the talking. 2 years later, he is now the voice on that side of the ball.

I'm not saying this to say they made a mistake getting rid of Baker, they need a QB, not a cheerleader, but saying he was this disaster in the locker room is erroneous I believe. I challenge you to show me reports, other than OBJ, where he did anything other than show the team how to win. at 1-31 when he arrived, that is something they sure as hell didn't know how to do. There are a couple of "reports" that Landry and/or Clowney wouldn't be back if Mayfield was the QB, but nothing from either player acknowledging anything of the sort. Landry never had anything but good to say about Mayfield until the OBJ issue. That ONE issue is what spurned all of the locker room talk.

Regardless, he is in Carolina now, so the Browns won't have to worry about his maturity level any longer, they just need to keep Deshaun on a leash and not allow him to make his own appointments of any kind. If he needs something, run it through the Browns.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I will it now as I said it then. I don't think Baker had a consistant work ethic
Baker was not a film room type of guy. Nor was he the kind of guy to stay after
Practice and work with the WRS TES .
Maybe some of the guys on this team felt Mayfield didn't work hard enough
Maybe if he worked on his game as much as worked at playing Halo
He would still be a Brown

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
I will it now as I said it then. I don't think Baker had a consistant work ethic
Baker was not a film room type of guy. Nor was he the kind of guy to stay after
Practice and work with the WRS TES .
Maybe some of the guys on this team felt Mayfield didn't work hard enough
Maybe if he worked on his game as much as worked at playing Halo
He would still be a Brown

Hey - GM .... can you shed any light onto the validity of any suggestion that Baker was not a hard / consistent worker? I'd really love to have this notion confirmed or dispelled.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Jason Lloyd wrote an article with one paragraph (from memory) saying Baker was hard to coach and divided the locker room.... it was like two sentences out of a lengthy article. Jason lloyd has been willing the Browns to move on from Baker virtually since he was drafted. So take it for what it is worth. No-one was quoted. Of course - if the locker room WAS divided it meant some were in Baker's camp - which is a narrative talking heads are trying hard to eliminate. There was that clip the other day with Bucky falsely saying no team mate had said anything positive about Baker.

I have not seen and do not know Ridenour. But it's funny to see said poster claim he finds it hard to believe posters don't accept "all the information" out there. It's on record by multiple sources on multiple occasions covering multiple seasons - OBJ never wanted to be here, tried to get traded every off season, told stud free agent(s) not to come to CLE, was telling opposing sidelines 'Come Get Me' ... and he was running the wrong routes. . . yes said poster invented a narrative that Baker ran im out of town, OBJ is the good guy and he'd take him back. Can't make it up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sadly his response which you quoted above is a lie first perpetuated by Vers and now being perpetuated by others. Most of us have a wife, a sister, a daughter or daughters or know females who have been treated in similar ways. All it really has to do with is hoping that a predator gets his just desserts. Downplaying and lying about the motivation of those deeply concerned with the way men have been allowed to get away with the abuse of women is a sad statement from those doing so.

I would venture to guess that your wife and daughters would never, and are not unlicensed (wink, wink) massage therapist who would go to a motel room set up by the Texans for "massages" on players.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Making excuses why it's okay for the Browns as an organization to act just like Baker is not attractive. But I guess once you've walked off the edge you may as well go all the way with it.

Right back at you...

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
What is out there other than the OBJ's father situation? This is a serious question since you bring it up a lot. What else has he done since joining the Browns.

Are you being serious? Did you happen to miss the comments by Lloyd? By Marla Ridenour? The comment by the Brown's player about not throwing OBJ the ball even in practice? The "adult" comment from someone on the Browns? The calling out of Duke Johnson? Comments from reporters about him being immature and arrogant? The calling out of Stefanski twice last year? The comments about his teammates not wanting to win? Him trashing Hue after the latter was fired? Blaming the changing of coaches? The fans booing him? Feeling disrespected? Saying he would consult his family and agent and then decide whether to play or not while not consulting the Browns? The comments from multiple reporters that teams were leary of him because of how he might or might not be accepted in their locker rooms? Etc, etc.

If you just want to argue.........argue. But please don't act like you haven't read about these things. I don't think Baker was a "disaster" in the locker room, but there were issues. And his skill as a QB were not to overcome them. Aaron Rodgers seems like a jerk, but he is great.

Also, I don't care if you agree w/me. Feel free to choose to ignore all of the above and continue to like Baker. That is fine by me, but I don't want to fight about it. You express your opinions and I will express mine.

2nd String
2nd String
What is out there other than the OBJ's father situation? This is a serious question since you bring it up a lot. What else has he done since joining the Browns.

Are you being serious? Did you happen to miss the comments by Lloyd? By Marla Ridenour? The comment by the Brown's player about not throwing OBJ the ball even in practice? The "adult" comment from someone on the Browns? The calling out of Duke Johnson? Comments from reporters about him being immature and arrogant? The calling out of Stefanski twice last year? The comments about his teammates not wanting to win? Him trashing Hue after the latter was fired? Blaming the changing of coaches? The fans booing him? Feeling disrespected? Saying he would consult his family and agent and then decide whether to play or not while not consulting the Browns? The comments from multiple reporters that teams were leary of him because of how he might or might not be accepted in their locker rooms? Etc, etc.

If you just want to argue.........argue. But please don't act like you haven't read about these things. I don't think Baker was a "disaster" in the locker room, but there were issues. And his skill as a QB were not to overcome them. Aaron Rodgers seems like a jerk, but he is great.

Also, I don't care if you agree w/me. Feel free to choose to ignore all of the above and continue to like Baker. That is fine by me, but I don't want to fight about it. You express your opinions and I will express mine.

For every unquoted comment you are talking about from a talking head. I can give you another source who talks about his passion to win and pushing others to do the same.

Reading about everything on the internet, you need to understand something, this is REALLY important, no one is held to write the truth, some things are not really true, but embellished to get us all to click on the website to read it. That is how they get paid, getting you and I to click. They don't get paid for truths. They don't get fired for writing something that is only 10% accurate, it is written, it is quoted by 20 other people that get paid for you to click on THEIR website and the cycle continues. If it isn't exactly truthful, who cares, they move on to something else for their next deadline and no one is held to a higher standard because EVERYONE does it. The 20% of "reporting" that actually matters wouldn't pay the bills.

What I was referring to was actual instances, actual quotes, etc. They don't exist. Comments can be made by anyone, but in a lot of cases, they are opinions and/or fabricated to get us to click.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I will say that quite a few of the things I posted came right from Baker's big mouth. However, believe as you wish.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

Is this about some new comment that I somehow missed or this this simply rehash about things supposedly said shortly after the news broke that we were looking to sign Watson?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Are you being serious? Did you happen to miss the comments by Lloyd? By Marla Ridenour?

Did I hear a comment by people who weren't on the team nor in the lockerroom. Heresay...did NOT come from Baker's mouth.

The comment by the Brown's player about not throwing OBJ the ball even in practice?

I've not heard that one before. WR runs his own routes and wanted out as soon as he got there. I wouldn't throw to him either...did NOT come from Baker's mouth.

The "adult" comment from someone on the Browns?

No one will own up to who said that...my guess it was Haslam. The entire front office wasn't professional in any of this debacle. They don't get a free pass either...did NOT come from Baker's mouth.

The calling out of Duke Johnson?

He did NOT "call out" DJ. He was asked a question in Training Camp where DJ just recently asked to be traded. Is it ok to ask to be traded or not?

Comments from reporters about him being immature and arrogant?

Comments from reporters? You have to be kidding. I'll trust comments directly from Nick Chubb, Greg Newsome and our new 7th Rd pick.

The calling out of Stefanski twice last year?

Announcers who were former players called out Stefanski too.

The comments about his teammates not wanting to win?

That is NOT what he said and you know it. Spin.

Him trashing Hue after the latter was fired?

Hue was absolute trash. Speaking the truth is bad when it's thrown at one of your man-crushes like Hue - the most respected offensive coach in the league. rolleyes How many times did we read THAT drivel?

Blaming the changing of coaches?

Again...he's not allowed to speak the truth? Changing coaches is one thing...four HCs in three years is another. Context matters.

The fans booing him?

Yeah...most players appreciate that as well.

Feeling disrespected?

How could he not feel disrespcted?

Saying he would consult his family and agent and then decide whether to play or not while not consulting the Browns?

Regarding whether to play in a meaningless game with 1/2 the fan base saying "he" should have shut it down much, much earlier. Which is it? Warrior or selfish turd?

The comments from multiple reporters that teams were leary of him because of how he might or might not be accepted in their locker rooms? Etc, etc.

More "comments" from others speaking out of hand..at best? Reporters...teams...etc etc. Please.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I will say that quite a few of the things I posted came right from Baker's big mouth. However, believe as you wish.

Very few of those things came directly from Baker's mouth and many other "things" you posted are wildly out-of-context.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I stand by everything I said and it's obvious to me that you are once again twisting things to protect Baker. This will be my last comment to you during this exchange.

2nd String
2nd String
I disagree, Baker's juvenile behavior has been in the open for all (who don't have their head in the sand) to see. Not to mention the speculation of who the Atlantic might be quoting is just speculating without a source.
He's 27 years old, tell me you didn't make bone headed decisions at that age. The FO has been around the block more than once, so there is no excuse for taking parting shots like that.

Last edited by Southwestdawg; 07/12/22 07:56 AM.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Traded to Carolina

Link Copied to Clipboard