Legend
Legend
V

1 member likes this: IrishDawg42
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's time for everyone, including the NFL, to put this behind us and play the games. JMO

Legend
Legend
Factors that worked for him were: "First-offender ..."

I find it somewhat odd to invoke "first offender" while coupling it with a decision involving dozens of offenses, lol

More power to ya, Sue, but it does sound kinda silly.

I continue to maintain my prediction that the NFL is going to just let it roll as-is. The ONLY way I see Goodell stomping on this is if they were never happy about this whole arbitration thing for punishments in the first place. Barring that, I think they want the impression of this new system to be on of validity and fairness and they won't step on any toes at all in its inaugural case.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Things I found interesting

-She did not say that "he did do these things"...She consistently used the term "circumstantial" concerning the evidence.
-She also did not like the extremely broad definitions within the 3 allegations of breaking the conduct policy...most of which are not written down.
-I think on the first count of sexual assault (and this is just me) I get the feeling she didn't think he "assaulted" anyone, but was abiding by a broad unwritten term used by an NFL Exec.
-But I think she did feel that the pattern established that greater than 50% probability on all three points.
-I am surprised to hear that none of the 4 were licensed therapists. We knew some of the alleged 60 were and some were not. The reason this surprised me is the incidental contact aspect of things. With non licensed people, there is a greater chance of a misunderstanding. With that said, none of us will know if it was incidental or not...we can only suspect.
-Upon the second count...again an extremely broad definition...And as far as the working environment aspect...If you believe the incidental contact was not incidental...then yes, general, "nonsafe" working environment protocols definitely apply. So it is logical for her conclusion on the second count. But I have to tell you...if the symptoms they are complaining about are valid for an unsafe working environment...I have a case against every employer I have ever had.
-The third count may have a broad definition, but in many ways it is by design as what is acceptable can change over time. But it is also the one point I felt would be easiest to prove. Having been found probable of breaking the first two points. The third is a no brainer.
-Concerning the discipline...I find it strange that she made no mention concerning the disparate discipline between the players and owners. Especially since she had been allowing such broad interpretations on the definition on the 3 counts. She stuck to player to player comparisons.
-Her points concerning prior suspensions and the notification to the players being too loose for what constitutes the behavior and how it will be disciplined I thought were very poignant.
-Lastly, I was a little let down as I didn't think there was very much to this document...given all the hoopla around it. And I also am a little disturbed(not the right term, but will have to do) On the focus of the Prosecution evidence and not so much the Defense argument. There was some...but in comparison to the NFL's info...hardly anything...

I believe 6 games is/was spelled out for first time offenders...and as such she ruled not by Kangaroo Kourt of Opinion, but against how the Collective Bargaining Agreement is written.

I really think that if you are upset in EITHER direction...Then you should blame the CBA...and not Robinson

I was really waiting to hear her opinion...I was hoping for more insight....but we didn't get that. As such I believe things are "probably" (since the term is important in this case) in the middle as they usually are...I think it probable he was using some of these instances for sexual gratification. I think it more than probable he did not physically assault, violently assault, nor coerce, anyone. I believe in some cases there was misunderstandings, in other cases there were people just looking for money, and in some cases he made an unwanted advance. The biggest issue (and I think I agree with the judge on this) is the pattern. I am struggling as to whether I would necessarily call it "predatory". Is going to a bar to try and pick up someone, predatory? It is not quite the same thing..I know...But he also can't just go out to a bar and try to pick up someone. So it could be argued that he tried to do it another way. AT this time I can't say

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
100% impressed with Robinson and her handling of this case. She's the right person for the job.

She worked completely within the framework of conduct definitions and expected punishment.

There was never any excuse for suspending Watson for more than six games given the language of the contract.

I absolutely love that she pointed out serious problems with the structure and how they need to be fixed going forward.

Most notable is that she is forced to work within the bounds of all of the NFL's "on the fly" definitions. I think she's pointing out to both parties that there are issues with this process that must be addressed going forward. And also that the league should have no right to amend punishment guidelines without players being warned of that in advance.

Similarly, the concepts of “unfairness” and “selectivity” demand notice in this case.
Although I have found Mr. Watson to have violated the Policy, I have done so using the NFL’s
post-hoc definitions of the prohibited conduct at issue. Defining prohibited conduct plays a
critical role in the rule of law, enabling people to predict the consequences of their behavior. It is
inherently unfair to identify conduct as prohibited only after the conduct has been committed,
just as it is inherently unjust to change the penalties for such conduct after the fact. As I’ve
noted above, the NFL is a private organization and can operate as it deems fit, but the post-hoc
determination of what constitutes the prohibited conduct here cannot genuinely satisfy the
“fairness” prong of the standard of review or justify the imposition of the unprecedented sanction
requested by the NFL.

I hope this was enough warning to the league that she feels strongly that they have no leg to stand on by imposing a punishment beyond six games.

They should just forego the expected sh*tshow portion of their next move and tip their hat to her fair, impartial, governance of their contract language.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
3 members like this: Hammer, Versatile Dog, PETE314
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

yep, because being a creep isn't illegal.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

I find it somewhat odd to invoke "first offender" while coupling it with a decision involving dozens of offenses, lol

I continue to maintain my prediction that the NFL is going to just let it roll as-is. The ONLY way I see Goodell stomping on this is if they were never happy about this whole arbitration thing for punishments in the first place. Barring that, I think they want the impression of this new system to be on of validity and fairness and they won't step on any toes at all in its inaugural case.

But in the eyes of Robinson, there are 4 cases, not 24. The NFL presented only 4 cases. Not sure why they did that, but that is what they chose.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by cfrs15

So according to this, DW is a rapey predator. She was just limited to the precedent of punishment. It wouldn't surprise me either way if the league accepts this or goes for more games on the suspension. That entire report was damning to Watson. Lack of credibility, described as showing predatory behavior, no remorse, having committed numerous sexual assaults, intentionally exposing himself and touching them with an erection... He also used his status as an NFL QB to get them in private. It seems Watson is exactly who I and a few others have been saying he is. I am happy that she put the no outside the organization massages in his punishment because he seems to have a fetish or addiction to this AND JUST MAYBE there are 230 million reasons for him to not get into more rapey trouble here. He may be the next Gordon in that way, who knows?

But overall I'm happy the report answered some questions and that WE ALL now know for sure who DW is. We can root for the team we love and inevitably for DW, knowing the truth is out and he was found guilty by NFL standards, with safeguards in place to keep it from happening here. If it does happen here, he will be GONE. I can live with that knowing I think he is a true POS but is going to QB this team for the foreseeable future regardless of what I think. I can reconcile my feelings knowing that at least he has been punished to some degree as well as feeling that due to his youth, he should get a chance to redeem himself on a very short leash. But I have to admit, knowing he is a rapey sexual predator will always be in the back of my mind.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/01/22 03:49 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by cle23
Originally Posted by Dave
The process involving the NFL's ability to review and increase Judge Robinson's penalty to Watson is the process the NFLPA agreed to with the new CBA, so its hard to see how a federal court is going to intercede on their behalf if they sue the NFL after its first implementation. In other words, this is what you signed on for.

The same agreement said that owners/coaches/club execs would be held to a higher standard than players. How has that worked out? Literally zero punishment for any of them besides Snyder, and even his was much more lenient.

Did the NFLPA go to federal court to sue over insufficient punishment of owners?? No, they did not.

This is a separate issue, with a punishment being levied, which can now - by CBA agreement - be increased by the league.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L

But in the eyes of Robinson, there are 4 cases, not 24. The NFL presented only 4 cases. Not sure why they did that, but that is what they chose.

That can be on the NFL. Watson's actions led to over 50 settled lawsuits, if the NFL chose to only pursue 4 that can be on them. We now know his punishment from the NFL and how it will impact the Browns. I feel a bit more comfortable that Watson has to have the team arrange all his sessions now, except we most likely will screw that part up too.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I really think that if you are upset in EITHER direction...Then you should blame the CBA...and not Robinson

I think this new system w/having a Disciplinary Officer is better than the old system. But, I agree that the system has a ton of flaws in it.

I did not think that Watson deserved 6 games. However, I'm not going to go off on Judge Robinson. I think she tried to be fair given what she had to work with. The NFL's history on these types of issues is all over the place and it's hard to fix that in one swoop.

I think what we can do is use her first decision as the foundation for establishing precedence moving forward. New cases can be compared to this particular case. I also think the league and the NFLPA can tighten up some of the language of the Discipline section of the CBA the next time it is negotiated.

Put this to bed. There will be some initial outrage and Watson will never live this down. It will follow him the rest of his life, just like the allegations against Ben have followed him to this very day. Things will allay over time but never completely dissipate. What's really important is that he does everything in his power to live a good life moving forward. He can become an advocate for worthy causes, such as women's rights.

Punishment is a tool to caution those who are thinking of exhibiting poor behavior. However, it does not provide a cure for one who has already committed the undesirable behavior. Acceptable behavior has to come from within and w/the support of others who encourage and help develop a person on their quest to live a life well served. He's 26 and not a hardened criminal. There is plenty of time for him to accomplish great deeds away from the football field.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
So officially the Browns QB is a sexual predator? Despite what some wish to claim?

This is judge Robinson's ruling....

Mr. Watson’s predatory conduct cast “a negative light on the League and its players,” sufficient proof that he violated this provision of the Policy

In her ruling she says watson's conduct was predatory. The entire case surrounded sexual misconduct.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

At the end of the day, not even that matters.

Watson could have 700 people complaining. That would not change the fact that he is a first-time offender of their conduct code. Their language dictates more extreme punishments for repeat offenders. We, of all fans, should know that... Josh Gordon was in a position where a marijuana seed could result in a lifetime ban, if the commish saw fit. That's the way the contract language works, and framework for first-time offenders is clearly spelled out.

Like it or not, that's the letter of the law here.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Interesting how she described the court settlements as "paying restitution". Some seemed to see it much differently than she did. Restitution seems like a reasonable conclusion considering she found his acts to be predatory.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Swish
yep, because being a creep isn't illegal.

But it appears being a sexual predator isn't either. Right?

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Although Mr. Watson allegedly worked with more
than 60 massage therapists during the 15-month period beginning in the fall of 2019 through the
winter of 2021, the NFL only investigated the claims of the 24 therapists suing Mr. Watson for
damages. Of these 24 complainants, the NFL investigators were only able to interview 12; of
those 12, the NFL relied for its conclusions on the testimony of 4 therapists (“the therapists”), as
well as interviews of some 37 other third parties and substantial documentary evidence.

Hey wait, she forgot to include the exhaustive investigation done by the Browns prior to pursuing Watson!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PETE314
-I am surprised to hear that none of the 4 were licensed therapists.

THREE of the four were licensed therapists.

"Of the four massage therapists who are the subject of the Report, only three were licensed and operating their own
businesses; the fourth therapist was working towards her licensure."

B
Legend
Legend
B
So officially the Browns QB is a sexual predator? Despite what some wish to claim?

You guys read in to it any way you want. If 6 games isn't a strong enough punishment, then he probably wasn't much of a predator. He got what the judge felt he deserved based on the evidence.

Now Goodell can levy a stricter penalty if he wishes. That is going to cause a problem. If he does, the NFLPA will sue. They will try to show the commissioner issues penalty with prejudice as it pertains to the players and the owners. The lynchpin to that argument will be an independent, former federal judge gave her opinion that the commissioner elected to ignore.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
You don't need to read anything "into it". All you have to do is read it.....

Mr. Watson’s predatory conduct cast “a negative light on the League and its players,” sufficient proof that he violated this provision of the Policy

This isn't complicated nor do you need to read anything into it.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep, it's easy to tell who didn't bother to read the ruling or who could not understand the words in the ruling.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't feed the trolls.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Just take your L Vers. Calling us trolls for telling the truth is a very cheap look. And I'm ready to move on from all of this. He is exactly who we said he was.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/01/22 03:56 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

This is judge Robinson's ruling....

In her ruling she says watson's conduct was predatory. The entire case surrounded sexual misconduct.

So what is it you are trying to prove here? I am not sure where you are going with this. I am not sure that you know where you are going with this.

Is this about the wording? Maybe the suspension? The judge who wrote the words also issued the penalty so it is logical there is no disconnect between her wording and the suspension.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by LexDawg

That can be on the NFL. Watson's actions led to over 50 settled lawsuits, if the NFL chose to only pursue 4 that can be on them. We now know his punishment from the NFL and how it will impact the Browns. I feel a bit more comfortable that Watson has to have the team arrange all his sessions now, except we most likely will screw that part up too.

He has settled 23, not over 50. The Texans settled, but there was nothing released on who or why that was, thought it was obviously in relation to Watson.

Legend
Legend

Some may argue that there is a distinct difference between the adjective "predatory" and the noun/ phrase "sexual predator". Especially since one is generally associated with violent acts. Insisting that Robinson called Deshaun a "sexual predator" is a bit of a stretch imo.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Ahhhh...thanks for the correction...(towards the licensure of the therapists) That makes much more sense then...

Last edited by PETE314; 08/01/22 04:03 PM.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE

Some may argue that there is a distinct difference between the adjective "predatory" and the noun/ phrase "sexual predator". Especially since one is generally associated with violent acts. Insisting that Robinson called Deshaun a "sexual predator" is a bit of a stretch imo.

When she said he was guilty of sexual assault as defined by the NFL, then called his behavior predatory, she was saying exactly that; DW is a sexual predator.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/01/22 04:02 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't feed the trolls. That group is wrong on almost every single issue. They are the Washington Generals of this board.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The process involving the NFL's ability to review and increase Judge Robinson's penalty to Watson is the process the NFLPA agreed to with the new CBA, so its hard to see how a federal court is going to intercede on their behalf if they sue the NFL after its first implementation. In other words, this is what you signed on for.

The same agreement said that owners/coaches/club execs would be held to a higher standard than players. How has that worked out? Literally zero punishment for any of them besides Snyder, and even his was much more lenient.

Did the NFLPA go to federal court to sue over insufficient punishment of owners?? No, they did not.

This is a separate issue, with a punishment being levied, which can now - by CBA agreement - be increased by the league.

They didn't because the NFLPA has no authority over the owners or their punishments. But I guarantee if they extend the suspension to a season, or indefinite, that the NFLPA will file a lawsuit. They would use the precedent from the owner punishment to show Watson's punishment is excessive given the language of the CBA. Applying the CBA more harshly to the players than the owners, even when it is expressly written that the owners will be held to a higher standard, is what would cause the lawsuit.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Don't feed the trolls. That group is wrong on almost every single issue. They are the Washington Generals of this board.

LOL....true dat

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
O
Legend
Legend
O
lmao at you. You will say anything that serves your agenda, even in light of being proved wrong by Robinson's report. The simple thing you are missing is that he only got 6 games and none of us that I've seen so far are saying anything about him deserving more. So we are not the unreasonable trolls you want to make us out to be. We just wanted the truth and now it's out. You were duped again.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

So, what's the bottom line? He got suspended for 6 games. Period. Who cares what the language said/insinuated. Geesh, people looking to argue, that's all.

He got a 6 game suspension. The end.

3 members like this: jfanent, Rishuz, Ballpeen
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by LexDawg

He has settled 23, not over 50. The Texans settled, but there was nothing released on who or why that was, thought it was obviously in relation to Watson.

Let me clarify for you.

As I stated "Watson's actions led to over 50 settled lawsuits". Due to his actions the team had to settle 30 lawsuits themselves, correct? Now you say he has settle 23 himself. 30+23 is over 50 right?

But but but Watson didnt settle 30!

Correct, the team had to settle 30 because of his actions though and his third charge was Conduct that Undermines, or Puts at Risk, the Integrity of the NFL So even if he hadn't settled the ones directed at him his NFL team had to settle 30 lawsuits brought against them because of his actions.

Last edited by LexDawg; 08/01/22 04:15 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well let's look at what the term sexual predator actually means instead of what people think or take it to mean.....

A sexual predator is a person who seeks out sexual contact with another person in a predatory or abusive manner.

Now let's look at what Robinson said....

Robinson made it plain in her ruling that watson was searching out sexual contact with women who were not expecting that. She called his actions predatory and this is certainly of a sexual nature.

I think anyone having trouble understanding that, it is of their own doing.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/01/22 04:16 PM.

Legend
Legend
Good post.

IMO the process was faulty from the start. Myles got six games for assault that could have had a much more serious outcome than it did.

Hunt got eight games.

We all know what happened with the owners - nothing.

Robinson listened to DW for 3 days. Went thru every shred of evidence presented. "She" was the agreed upon arbitrator a retired federal judge.

All but one case remains. People have been compensated. Justice? A decision by a qualified person has been made.

Time to move on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This isn't one of them and I think even you know that. Watson was labeled a predator by the judge in her decision. People who won't own up to that are the one's making themselves look like fools here.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
j/c

So, what's the bottom line? He got suspended for 6 games. Period. Who cares what the language said/insinuated. Geesh, people looking to argue, that's all.

He got a 6 game suspension. The end.

rofl

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson Suspended 6 Games

Link Copied to Clipboard