Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1958562 07/25/22 05:03 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
anybody playing this game right now? Getting the crap kicked out of me. This game is so infuriating....and i freaking love it. but i'm level 32 and managed to get to Godrick, but can't beat him. should i go level up more or what?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1958776 07/26/22 08:28 PM
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
I beat the game about a month ago. I am a little weird with RPGs like this, I like to find a good spot to grind and mindlessly level up for hours before I actually start the journey, because I really hate getting stuck on a boss and having to grind when I don't want to. I don't remember the exact level I was at when I beat Godrick but I was higher than 32, probably 50ish if not a little higher. I also had some buddies buy the game which allowed us to team up on a few of the bosses. The game can be infuriating as you said, but overall I felt it was pretty solid.

This was my first game in the FromSoft lineup. I feel the game doesn't do the best job of explaining things to you. My recommendation would be to make sure you are leveling up your weapon as much as possible, that is where you'll see the biggest damage gains (I was more focused on leveling up player attributes).

mike3LT #1958934 07/27/22 12:12 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yea this is my first time playing a game like this as well. i'm slowly finding some areas to grind the runes to level up, still having trouble with the ashes of war and upgrades on weapons however. this game is amazing though, really gotta figure it out, no pay to win, a true open world environment.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1959010 07/27/22 05:09 PM
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
There are a few key areas to grind at that are at least 10x more efficient than some of the others. I won't spoil anything for you, but if you want/need any help let me know. Keep me posted how things are going, and when you take down that Gold Knight that patrols where you first start.

FWIW, I didn't understand ashes of war until very late game, and even then it didn't help me that much. If you really know what you're doing with them I could see it being powerful. I went hack and slash because I lacked the patience to go magic/ranged attack heavy, but one of my buddies who is very familiar with these developers went all in on faith and seemed to really enjoy it. I may do that on a second playthrough if I ever come back to the main storyline. Right now when we do play it we summon each other and lure in other invaders to battle. Unfair, but they know what they are signing up for and it's a lot of fun at times.

1 member likes this: Swish
Swish #1960114 08/02/22 01:34 PM
Legend
Legend
I've been tempted to give it a whirl, but I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to drop $60 on a game when there are so many Free to Play, or much less expensive, games available, lol
I may pick it up during the next Steam Sale.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i feel you, but elden ring is already a shoe in for game of the year.

it's a 60 dollar complete game. no pay to win, no hand holding in an open world game where they walk to every little quest. it brought back that satisfaction games had where you really felt like you put in work playing the game. i dont mind the pay to win games, but its rough to keep my interest when you can just buy your way to elite level gear and mounts. like i started playing WoW way back in 2007, and it was amazing, because you actually have to work with other players in order to do end game content. random loot drops after spending hours in a raid with the tank constantly not pulling aggro correctly, only to down the boss and not get crap lol.

but that built CHARACTER. now you see all these pay to win packages or dudes just buying their characters on ebay.

elden ring is like Diablo 2 for me. you want the good stuff, gotta put that work in.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1960259 08/02/22 06:54 PM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, Division 2 is like that. Ya gotta earn your way.
It's how games should be. I generally avoid games that have micro-transactions for anything other than cosmetics for this very reason.

I'm old school gamer; I want the challenge of the game. I want solid gameplay, not to be "dazzled" by cutscenes and overly-rendered graphics (I'm looking at you Metro: Exodus). If I'm spending more time being a spectator or following a "rail"-like level layout than actually playing a game, then the game sucks.

I reckon I should definitely give this one a shot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Swish
Swish #1960740 08/04/22 07:01 PM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I bought Elden Ring to support the developer. They did a lot of things right. Happy to support a developer that puts out a quality game with no mtx.

This is a good article about it. Favorite line from it:
There's something simply special and pure about Elden Ring, something that many of today's greed-defined AAA publishers increasingly seem to neglect to even consider — first off, make a good video game.

As Elden Ring hits 12 million copies sold, AAA game publishers have hard lessons to learn

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming Elden Ring

Link Copied to Clipboard