Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
At this point the whole process is a disaster.

They may as well put pingpong balls with numbers on them and have a drawing like a lottery.

Robinson was independent and super qualified. She was thorough. She ruled within the structure of the agreement.

Now it has turned into a dart game. What is an appropriate suspension? Unknown.

That is why you hire a person like Sue Robinson.

You do realize the NFL's appeal is also within the structure of the agreement, right? We may not like it, it may not look good. But it is what both sides agreed to follow.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
JMO, but Judge Robinson structured her ruling on the lenient side with the hope that the NFL/Goodell or his appointed representative would review Watson's case. I honestly believe she did not want to have the final say on such a high profile case and this was her way of handing the case back to the NFL for final judgement.

Final step in the process begins with the NFL making their judgement or allowing Judge Robinson's ruling to stand.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Of course I understand.

I made it clear in earlier posts. I am not questioning their right to appeal.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To me it seems she structured it in a way to point out the process isn't good, maybe with hopes that it can bring more objectivity to the whole thing.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The second item is the owner's discipline, namely fines. I think it's pretty shallow to think that because an owner has x amount of wealth, the fine should be based on their wealth. The richest owner in the league is in Carolina and he has a wealth of over 16.7 billion earned outside of football.

I agree. We have this mob mentality against people with wealth. It doesn't matter what they make or how much money they are worth, fines should be based on the infraction....period.

The NFL and NFLPA need to some up with some structure regarding fines. The same infraction for a guy making $2 mil a year is way less than a person making 10 mil a year.

Game suspensions shouldn't necessarily mean a player loses all of his game check for that game. A speeding ticket isn't factored on what a person makes. It is on a set scale. One person isn't going to get a $50 fine and another $300 for similar infractions..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Robinson's ruling was based upon the definition of violent sexual assault and non-violent sexual assault.

She determined base upon the evidence that this was non-violent sexual assault. The stiffest previous penalty for that was 3 games. She doubled that.

However, her premise was based upon "after the fact" it is unfair to determine punishment without previously defining what the punishment would be for non-violent sexual assault.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by mac
JMO, but Judge Robinson structured her ruling on the lenient side with the hope that the NFL/Goodell or his appointed representative would review Watson's case. I honestly believe she did not want to have the final say on such a high profile case and this was her way of handing the case back to the NFL for final judgement.

Final step in the process begins with the NFL making their judgement or allowing Judge Robinson's ruling to stand.

It’s the hope that kills us..

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
The second item is the owner's discipline, namely fines. I think it's pretty shallow to think that because an owner has x amount of wealth, the fine should be based on their wealth. The richest owner in the league is in Carolina and he has a wealth of over 16.7 billion earned outside of football.

I agree. We have this mob mentality against people with wealth. It doesn't matter what they make or how much money they are worth, fines should be based on the infraction....period.

The NFL and NFLPA need to some up with some structure regarding fines. The same infraction for a guy making $2 mil a year is way less than a person making 10 mil a year.

Game suspensions shouldn't necessarily mean a player loses all of his game check for that game. A speeding ticket isn't factored on what a person makes. It is on a set scale. One person isn't going to get a $50 fine and another $300 for similar infractions..

Good points by both. My question about the amount of $$$$ was driven by one or two posters claiming that the $10M Kraft fine wasn't any sort of punishment at all. Despite there being much less to his scandal than there was the 26 allegations and 53 settlements that Watson is dealing with.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

^This^ story could easily have its own thread.

All things considered I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Browns. Only time will tell.

If it had its own thread that would ruin the objective of those trying to derail this one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
j/c:

^This^ story could easily have its own thread.

All things considered I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Browns. Only time will tell.

If it had its own thread that would ruin the objective of those trying to derail this one.

At least you are honest.

3 members like this: jfanent, FATE, MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P

They may as well put pingpong balls with numbers on them and have a drawing like a lottery.

Robinson was independent and super qualified. She was thorough. She ruled within the structure of the agreement.

You must not understand the process agreed upon by the NFLPA. This appeal by the NFL is 100% a contractual part of that agreement. People need to stop acting like it isn't or that somehow the NFLPA didn't agree to it. And that's what any judge will look at when considering an appeal of and finding by Harvey. The players agreed to it. The NFL is in no way violating that agreement and the NFLPA will have to show just cause that they did.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, if the JG topic had its own thread it would derail this thread about watson by those attempting to do so. Did something that simple confuse you?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It’ll be interesting to see how long the NFL strings this along. In doing so how much time will the team invest in giving first team reps to a guy that may or may not play at all this season. It’ll also put off acquiring JG (if that’s actually being considered by the FO) until later. Punishing the Browns further by not having him in camp to learn the playbook and get to know his teammates.

The NFL has no need to hurry is all I’m saying.
(If this were the Pats or the Boys it’d be done already. That I feel pretty assured of.)

…But because Browns… in all ways… this has been the Brownsiest of all Browns off-seasons.

Yay team!!!

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
The Browns are being persecuted like the Jews I tell ya!

Come on man.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Please just be a huge fine. No more games. I know that won't happen, but I still root for the Browns and that is what is best for the team and its fans.

Legend
Legend
Either I did not make myself clear or you missed the entire point.

In no way did I imply that the NFL was not entitled to appeal per the CBA.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Like I have been saying, 10 games and a $10 mill fine will get the get the job done, imo..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: rockdogg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just ignore the trolls. You made yourself clear.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Just ignore the trolls. You made yourself clear.

That does not seem clear. But to your point maybe he should ignore you.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888

Good points by both. My question about the amount of $$$$ was driven by one or two posters claiming that the $10M Kraft fine wasn't any sort of punishment at all. Despite there being much less to his scandal than there was the 26 allegations and 53 settlements that Watson is dealing with.

Maybe, but again, to my point, what Kraft is worth shouldn't have any bearing on what the NFL levies against the guy. I will say that with owners it may be a little different in that game suspensions don't mean squat. He is still the owner, their being suspended doesn't impact the team or fans in any way, and as for money, the owner can decide to take a $10 mil bonus next year to make up for a $10 mil fine this year if they want. Well, probably not, but I think you get my point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
The difference in the offenses should make a difference. This isn't an apples to apples comparison. Never in the history of the NFL has anyone, be it an owner or a player had 53 lawsuits settled based on their sexual behavior towards females. This is totally unprecedented. Which I expect the fine and suspension will also be.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mgh888

Maybe, but again, to my point, what Kraft is worth shouldn't have any bearing on what the NFL levies against the guy. I will say that with owners it may be a little different in that game suspensions don't mean squat. He is still the owner, their being suspended doesn't impact the team or fans in any way, and as for money, the owner can decide to take a $10 mil bonus next year to make up for a $10 mil fine this year if they want. Well, probably not, but I think you get my point.

Why do you fall for his crap? Not one person said that Kraft said that "the $10M Kraft fine wasn't any sort of punishment at all." Hell, Kraft wasn't even fined. He's telling yet another lie so people will admonish another poster and I think everyone knows who that poster is.

It would be nice if we could talk football in this forum instead of this teenage girl BS.

V
Legend
Legend
V
FWIW:

Legend
Legend
To clarify.

Robinson's ruling was based upon the definition of violent sexual assault and non-violent sexual assault.

She determined based upon the evidence that this was non-violent sexual assault, and DW violated that. The stiffest previous penalty for that was 3 games. She doubled that.

However, her premise was based upon "after the fact" it is unfair to determine punishment without previously defining what the punishment would be for non-violent sexual assault.

The process now:

I hope this helps to make myself more clear.

C
Legend
Legend
C
At some point the team has to start giving Brissett all the reps with the first team, right?

M
Legend
Legend
M
My bad - I was on a delayed flight and on my phone. It was Snyder that was fined $10M, not Kraft. And it was absolutely Vers that tried to make out that the $10M fine was nothing to Snyder.

As for the insults and sexuality put downs from the same poster .... pretty sure the guy with 53,000 posts has posted more on this topic than anyone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
At some point the team has to start giving Brissett all the reps with the first team, right?

I would suppose so. However, I think it would be once a decision is either settled on or the NFL rules on its own. If the latter, I'm assuming the NFLPA sues and he potentially plays Week 1, therefore Watson getting the work now makes sense. If the former, I think that is when the decision would be made to work in Brissett with the first team.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V

You would think so, unless they know something we don't know.

Just wishful thinking. LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
The difference in the offenses should make a difference. This isn't an apples to apples comparison. Never in the history of the NFL has anyone, be it an owner or a player had 53 lawsuits settled based on their sexual behavior towards females. This is totally unprecedented. Which I expect the fine and suspension will also be.

Still hung up on numbers i see.

At this point it doesn't matter. I'll just wait for the final lowdown. The longer I go I am starting to feel the NFL is starting to jerk my team around with all the delay.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
It would be nice if we could talk football in this forum instead of this teenage girl BS.

A Ref on this very board explained that to you and you said thank you. But I think most people knew that wouldn't be good enough for you since you didn't get your way.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

M
Legend
Legend
M

I honestly feel like the Browns know Brissett is bad - they don't want to showcase how bad he is, and we will be obtaining Jimmy G. Some sill see that all playing out as business as usual and the FO doing what they need to do ... I'll see it as further proof the whole DW trade was badly managed and a bad trade - that's assuming we don't make the playoffs and DW misses 10+ games - a threshold I have stated from the beginning as the make/break suspension for the trade.

** Vers posted a training camp video of Watson and Brissett the other day. We had highlights of Watson throwing a bunch of passes. Brissett's "Highlights" were him doing footwork exercises. I've not paid a ton of attention but I am still yet to see footage of Jacoby throwing in camp and I've read more than 2 reports of how poor his passing has been.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/12/22 03:38 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
She knew knew exactly what she was ruling on. The problem it seems some people are having is that they don't seem to understand that the NFL has no set games as to what they can rule on a suspension. Never before has the NFL handled such a case where there were 53 settlements paid out by such egregious, predatory conduct. Sue Robinson's words, not mine. Even though it was obvious for anyone being objective beforehand. I know it doesn't seem to sink in for some people that Robinson was merely the first part of an agreed upon process. All of your verbage changes nothing. What you call "the process is now" was always the process agreed upon. It's the same now as it was from the very beginning.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by FrankZ
To me it seems she structured it in a way to point out the process isn't good, maybe with hopes that it can bring more objectivity to the whole thing.

I am inclined to agree with you and she stated as much. While I believe the NFL is correct that the sentence is too light for what was done I think the better way to do it was address change after the fact.

Let's be honest, the idea that what Watson did would set a precedent of 6 games sounds really bad any way you look at it. The NFL really does need to take a big picture view of discipline proactively.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Yes because numbers matter.

Since you can't find any precedent even close to this all you can do is try and discount the numbers. Then there's the fact she found watson to be predatory, his actions egregious and he is a liar. And those aren't numbers.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

V
Legend
Legend
V
Looks like a settlement might be forthcoming. Even Florio has flip-flopped for the umpteenth time. LOL

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Either I did not make myself clear or you missed the entire point.

In no way did I imply that the NFL was not entitled to appeal per the CBA.

Your post sounded like it is complaining that she was following the process and the NFL is not. So perhaps not as clear as you might think but thanks for clarifying.

BTW if you think the NFL is being unfair, a large variety of people would lose their jobs for much less that the issue Watson caused, can we agree on that?

Last edited by LexDawg; 08/12/22 03:56 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Yes because numbers matter.

Since you can't find any precedent even close to this all you can do is try and discount the numbers. Then there's the fact she found watson to be predatory, his actions egregious and he is a liar. And those aren't numbers.

Here's a number for you... 4

That's how many cases were used in the NFL case.

Only 4.

There's your number.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson: Getcha Popcorn

Link Copied to Clipboard