Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I read some good things about Thomas after the Jags game. I also read some things and watched some videos after we drafted him in the 7th round. I thought I saw some some qualities of a situational Edge rusher in him. He has some length and a nice physique for the position. I don't think he has the girth to hold up as a starter, but he could be effective when used on passing downs. We know that all teams sub their d-linemen a lot so he could get some opportunities if he makes the team. I thought he displayed some good speed coming around the edge and used his hands pretty well. He's pretty explosive. I also think his overall evaluation was hurt because Oklahoma would move him inside for part of games. He simply doesn't have the heft to play inside, but he was a good soldier and did it to help the team. I am going to keep a close eye on him over the next two preseason games.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is a scouting report on Thomas. Keep in mind I am not suggesting he ever plays inside or is an every-down player. Just a guy who comes in to rush the passer and provide some speed on the Edge.

ISAIAH THOMAS
OKLAHOMA
EDGE

Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Oklahoma

HEIGHT: 6'5"
WEIGHT: 266 lbs
ARMS: 33 1/4"
HANDS: 10 1/4"

Prospect Grade
Traits Or Talent To Be Above-Average Backup

Player Bio
The four-star recruit chose Oklahoma over Alabama and many others after starring at Memorial High School in Tulsa. He played in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2018 (four tackles) and in 11 games the following season (seven tackles, two sacks). In 2020, Thomas tied for eighth in the FBS with 8.5 sacks and garnered second-team All-Big 12 honors playing defensive tackle and end for the Sooners. He was a second-team all-conference pick again as a senior after recording 38 tackles, 11.5 for loss with eight sacks, four pass breakups and three forced fumbles in 12 starts. Thomas opted out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft. -- by Chad Reuter

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
Round 6

NFL Comparison
Josh Sweat

Overview
Long, rangy 4-3 defensive end with pass-rush talent to be cultivated, but a lack of stoutness at the point of attack. Thomas' field movements are a bit gawky and segmented but can also be effective. He combines efficient hands and an instinctive feel for advantageous angles to grease the edge and attack the pocket. He needs to build his lower half to improve rush consistency against physical tackles, though. Thomas' length and pass-rush talent could help him find sub-package snaps while he attempts to develop into a starting-caliber end.

Strengths
Long-levered with patient hands in his rush.
Builds up speed at the turn.
Turns and leans to hide his frame from tackle's punch.
Activates windmill chop, opening the edge at the top.
Flattens and elongates stride to smack a quarterback.
Plays off the block quickly to attack the pocket.
Snap quickness to shoot the gap.
Uses arm-over to pull through B-gap.
Plays with hustle down the field to make a tackle.

Weaknesses
Linear, upright body type with narrow hips.
Rush take-off hindered by short, slew-footed strides.
Lacks power through his counters.
Lacks hip strength to battle through redirect blocks.
Change of direction is somewhat inhibited.
Run blockers can bump and seal him inside.
Rarely controls and sheds quickly at the point of attack.
Arrested in June 2021 on suspicion of driving while impaired and because of an outstanding warrant for failure to appear on petty larceny charges.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-thomas/32005448-4f20-3380-956c-20a822995517

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
It would be great for that DLine if he can contribute, and another feather for Berry's cap if he can get meaningful production from a 7th round rookie.

The odds are strongly against what he did in the one preseason game translating consistently to the regular season, but it's worth hoping for.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
That looks familiar!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think you did a better job of formatting it than I did.

Legend
Legend
lol You're in a better place than I am, bro. I'm "on the spectrum" when it comes to that stuff... it's a curse, not a gift.

It's fun to read about football and players again. Thanks for posting.

I liked this kid when we drafted him (I actually think we had a very good draft), love the upside from the 7th round. I also really like that he has Winfrey here as an Oklahoma teammate. Too rooks fighting to make the transition can at least relate to and challenge each other.

Sixth round. banghead

Last edited by FATE; 08/15/22 02:50 PM. Reason: I'm dumb

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, hopefully there will be more football talk moving forward.

Here is a highlight video of Thomas. I know that the plays are highlights, but I think it is pretty easy to recognize the guy's length, quickness, speed, arm usage, angles, and explosiveness.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This might be blasphemy, but I actually liked Thomas' tape over Winfrey's.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Nice thread, thanks for posting. I’d say he needs to bulk up a little and do a lot of footwork drills, from reading that. But I’m no personal trainer, I’m just a guy.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
He certainly looked the part last week. I was intrigued by how disruptive he was

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I thought that we got a steel when we drafted Thomas. He has done nothing to cause me to think that he will not make the final cuts. This is really a perfect situation for us cap wise going forward too, with MGs' contract due to escalate and having two DEs' on rookie contracts.

I would draft him in pff Draft simulator if he was on the board after the fourth round, so I expected him to be gone by the time he fell to us in the 7th.

On a side note: I think that Winovich is on the proverbial bubble, and has been out played by Isaac Rochell for that Veteran DE backup role.

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think it matters until the regular season arrives.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Isaiah Thomas: Situational Edge Rusher?

Link Copied to Clipboard