Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, he is 31. That could have something to do with it. But he is plug and play for us with no gel time.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I keyed in a few times on Perrion Winfrey and nothing really stood out. I couple times he was late off the snap and seemed slow. Anyone else notice anything?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks I didnt notice much either. i saw some people praise him on twitter, but I didn’t’ see much

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Thanks Cap. Yeah, I watched Emerson's interception. He looks big and strong. Didn't he get beat a few times????

I see Pdawg answered. I agree with what he said.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Well, he is 31. That could have something to do with it. But he is plug and play for us with no gel time.

And Tretter would still be the best center on the Browns roster if he came back tomorrow.

Some may not know this, but Tretter's wonderlic score is higher than most QBs..with a 33 wonderlic.

Last edited by mac; 08/13/22 10:10 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When do we resign Tretter?

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
C
Legend
Legend
C
I wonder if Tretter is blackballed? He has had excellent PFF numbers for quite some time. No way he should be unemployed unless he does not want to play. I haven't heard anything about him retiring.

He’s probably trying to miss most of training camp.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
When do we resign Tretter?

Hopefully tomorrow

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I thought Foristall, Miller Foristall the TE caught the pass from Watson, Foristall had 2 catches, the only positive plays of the first uarter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I really hope Tretter is a possibility. Since hes the player rep for the union, does he have to be rostered to maintain that status?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I watched some of the game today. The Jaguars’ announcers often times couldn’t be bothered to say the names of Browns players who made a tackle of whatever, there were a few guys wearing jersey #s that I couldn’t identify.

Most of our staters on the OL didn’t play, but the announcers overlooked that when talking about his great the Jacksonville run D was playing. They overlooked a lot of stuff actually.

Our punter (don’t know his name) boomed a couple good ones, and I did see Philips make some nice plays. Winfrey has a nice play, busting up the middle to get after the QB, although earlier in this thread someone mentioned he had a tough time of it on some plays.

Nice to see York make all the kicks. Schwartz dropped two easy catches in the first half. He might need to hit the bricks if that continues. Getting tired of him, he best turn it around fast.

It is what it is. I am sure that if it was Browns announcers calling the game, Jags fans would have the same beef.

I agree that Schwartz needs to pick it up in a hurry. The problem is Schwartz is a high enough draft pick that the GM usually isn't willing to cut ties this early, even if it is the right move. I know I wouldn't want to be that rookie who has played and practiced well to be cut knowing Schwartz looked like a bum. I also know I wouldn't want to be Stefanski sitting there telling the kid we were moving in a different direction.

Blown picks happen. No big deal. The big deal is when a team insists on sticking with a blown pick. That can't be excused.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I really hope Tretter is a possibility. Since hes the player rep for the union, does he have to be rostered to maintain that status?

He was re-elected in March to serve as President for another 2-year term, so apparently he does not have to be on a roster. I assuming he would have to retire to not lose his spot as president of the NFLPA.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I wonder if Tretter is blackballed? He has had excellent PFF numbers for quite some time. No way he should be unemployed unless he does not want to play. I haven't heard anything about him retiring.

He’s probably trying to miss most of training camp.

That could be true. He was adamant about the players getting more time off and shortening TC.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/14/22 08:30 AM.
Legend
Legend
Is he available? I know a team that might use him . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, he is still a free agent.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Somebody in the division will snag him this week while the FO brings in some UDFA centers...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Loved the Pick 6. Emerson seem to get more comfortable as he played more....

Overall, Watson didn't play well.. Schwartz didn't play well.... Ford was fun to watch.

First preseason game so I wasn't expecting much....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

The rule is that he must’ve been on a team within the last 12 months.

1 member likes this: Jester
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
I thought Foristall, Miller Foristall the TE caught the pass from Watson, Foristall had 2 catches, the only positive plays of the first uarter.

I'm kind of confused as they definitely interviewed Njoku and asked him how it felt to catch Watson's first pass during the broadcast.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
As others have said, Jerome Ford and Thomas jumped off the screen.

Emerson looked like a rookie until that one play. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks guys

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

I'm kind of confused as they definitely interviewed Njoku and asked him how it felt to catch Watson's first pass during the broadcast.

It was Njoku who caught Watson's pass. I do not think Forrestall came into the game until after Watson left. Njoku and Bryant were out there for the Watson possessions. Unfortunately, so was Schwartz.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"So was Schwartz." Why is he on this group? Why the targets?

Has he done much in camp? Some highlights that went unmentioned? Somebody must love his game to ignore how lousy he has been. SPEED. He is faster to the drop than anybody we have. This is a spot on the roster needs filled with a proven vet IMO. But for pity's sake, don't trust him with the ball until he shows better game. It better be soon.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched the replay and generally agree with most of the comments.

Thomas, Baldwin, Odom, and Fields forced me to look them up or try to remember where they came from. Nice to see someone unexpected show up.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Baldwin was another player of intrigue … he made a few nice plays and we all know we can use all the help we can get at WR

V
Legend
Legend
V
Some of you commented on Thomas and I liked what I saw of his college highlights. He could be a real sleeper.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/15/22 10:22 AM.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Jerome Ford looked as advertised. Acceleration, burst.
But the thing is, this RB room really need another RB?
Emerson showed alot on that INT. He out muscled
The intended target for the ball. Then simply outran everyone
To the end zone.
But most alarming to me was how much of a non factor the
WRs were in the game. The Browns WRs did nothing to
Help the offense.
I though Isiah Thomas looked like he could be a contributing
Player at DE. But let's not overlook how many DEs in
The past looked like the next coming of Jason Taylor
In the preseason and failed when it really counted.
You have factor the level of competition across from him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wasn't Ford's deal that he had all the talent in the world, but just couldn't stay healthy in college?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Wasn't Ford's deal that he had all the talent in the world, but just couldn't stay healthy in college?
Ford a TD machine last year for The Bearcats. He was healthy.
He scored 20 TDs last year. He didn't start till last year.
So his body doesn't have alot of wear and tear on it.
He is a talent . But where does he get his touches at?
I think the Browns should move D Ernest Johnson for
Draft pick or a WR. The thing is, RBs are hard to trade.
The position has lost value in this new Era of offense.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
C
Legend
Legend
C
Thomas played well enough that we won’t be able to get him to the practice squad.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think it's important to remember "who they were playing against". Every preseason we see people getting excited over later round rookies and UDFA's because of their performance without taking into account exactly who it is they're lining up against.

In the preseason, as in this game, the starters, and only a portion of them, play a series or two. At that point you see second and third stringers put into the line up. Coaches across the league gave to determine in very short order who will make the final cuts and who won't. That's exactly why we see this work out the way it does with so much time being given to backups and borderline players. So we're not seeing some of these guys playing against NFL starters. Then there's the fact that the Jags only won three games last season with their starters. So much of what I see people basing their opinions on are some of our youth playing against back ups and sometimes even borderline roster players of a very poor opponent.

This isn't an attempt to undermine that these good performances are a positive sign. I mean when you see someone like Ford perform well against backups and borderline roster players it's a very positive sign that we they least selected player with promise in the 5th round.

But year after year we see people that appear not to take into account who they had that performance against. I understand the enthusiasm but I think people would be best served by keeping that enthusiasm grounded in the reality of the situation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thomas played well enough that we won’t be able to get him to the practice squad.

I am going to try and focus on him over the next two games.

Legend
Legend

I am going to try and focus on him over the next two games.
Me too. He's a handful -- relentless.

Be interested to see what kind of motor he has playing a ton of snaps. Obviously needs some work to be a big-time player, but most of it seems coachable...

ISAIAH THOMAS
OKLAHOMA
EDGE

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
Oklahoma
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Tulsa, OK
R-Senior
HEIGHT
WEIGHT

CLEVELAND BROWNS -- Round 7 / Pick 2

6' 5"
266 lbs

ARMS
33 1/4"

HANDS
10 1/4"

Player Bio
The four-star recruit chose Oklahoma over Alabama and many others after starring at Memorial High School in Tulsa. He played in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2018 (four tackles) and in 11 games the following season (seven tackles, two sacks). In 2020, Thomas tied for eighth in the FBS with 8.5 sacks and garnered second-team All-Big 12 honors playing defensive tackle and end for the Sooners. He was a second-team all-conference pick again as a senior after recording 38 tackles, 11.5 for loss with eight sacks, four pass breakups and three forced fumbles in 12 starts. Thomas opted out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft. -- by Chad Reuter

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein

Long, rangy 4-3 defensive end with pass-rush talent to be cultivated, but a lack of stoutness at the point of attack. Thomas' field movements are a bit gawky and segmented but can also be effective. He combines efficient hands and an instinctive feel for advantageous angles to grease the edge and attack the pocket. He needs to build his lower half to improve rush consistency against physical tackles, though. Thomas' length and pass-rush talent could help him find sub-package snaps while he attempts to develop into a starting-caliber end.

Strengths
Long-levered with patient hands in his rush.
Builds up speed at the turn.
Turns and leans to hide his frame from tackle's punch.
Activates windmill chop, opening the edge at the top.
Flattens and elongates stride to smack a quarterback.
Plays off the block quickly to attack the pocket.
Snap quickness to shoot the gap.
Uses arm-over to pull through B-gap.
Plays with hustle down the field to make a tackle.

Weaknesses
Linear, upright body type with narrow hips.
Rush take-off hindered by short, slew-footed strides.
Lacks power through his counters.
Lacks hip strength to battle through redirect blocks.
Change of direction is somewhat inhibited.
Run blockers can bump and seal him inside.
Rarely controls and sheds quickly at the point of attack.
Arrested in June 2021 on suspicion of driving while impaired and because of an outstanding warrant for failure to appear on petty larceny charges.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1962985 08/15/22 01:43 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I just posted the same report about Thomas in the PFF.

I think he has some qualities to be a situational Edge pass rusher.

Legend
Legend
Oops. Sorry. grin

Just drove back from Ohio... was making my way up the thread list (I always start in the dumpster).

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1962989 08/15/22 01:55 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nothing to be sorry for. I just thought it was cool that we both chose the same article.

1 member likes this: FATE
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
It's preseason.

To go more in depth. Players played poorly that wont in regular season. Players played brilliantly that wont in regular season. Players played that wont in the regular season.

Someone's dad should have played more catch with him when he was younger.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Jaguars 13 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard