Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1964302 08/21/22 04:46 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Not sure if this thread is always started by one poster or not. My apologies if it is. Just let me know and I won't start it again.

My thoughts:

First and foremost. The defensive line play was terrible. I did not see one guy who looked good. I'm sure Wright will get some love because he did slip a few blocks and make some tackles, but he did a terrible job of setting the edge. The interior guys were horrid. Winfrey was easily contained and never had a counter move. Perry and Logan were pathetic. The DEs were bad, too. Rochell and Odom. Gag. I am very concerned w/out DT play. This simply can't happen.

The only LBer who impressed me was #42, Tony Fields. He isn't great, but he's a football player. The other dudes...Harvey and #56 stink.

AJ Green was okay. The rest of the secondary had some good and bad play.

The offensive line that played w/Dobbs, our second string guys, actually looked pretty good. Hudson did pretty good, but the guy who impressed me the most was Dunn. He played some center and quite a bit at guard. He got to the second level multiple times.

Dobbs looked very good. His arm looked way better than I remember. We know he's smart and athletic. I was also impressed by his pocket presence and throwing the ball on time. Rosen looked okay at first, but there was clearly a timing issue w/his receivers right at the end.

We have 5 really good backs. It's kinda hard to believe. peen has been high on Kelly and the guy looked good to me. Very good vision and always is going forward. Ford looked good, too.

I feel a little better about our receivers after today. We might get a couple of guys who can compliment Cooper and DPJ.

The TEs had a couple of good moments, but underwhelmed and had a couple of dumb penalties.

The kicker looks to be the real deal.

Bottom line: I like what I saw for the most part, but the DTs are a huge, huge concern. We have to upgrade there.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think David Bell looks like a veteran already. We had another WR or two make plays, , which might mean we can cut Schwartz because he dropped another one.

Dobbs will be the backup to Brissett. It’s hard to tell sometimes with all the backups playing, but he looked crisper than Rosen.

We will be cutting a good RB such as Kelly, if we can’t trade him.

We got gashed up the middle in the first half.
Just a few quick initial thoughts without reading anyone else’s.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Glad to see Josh Dobbs doing well

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah agree about Dobbs with his pocket presence and intelligence. Hell, I wouldn’t mind if he started over Jacoby, if it came to that.

gmstrong

-----------------

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Dobbs showed some big time athletic ability on that 34 yd tightrope down the sideline
RBs did a nice job of bouncing to the outside for 1st down runs
Josh Rosen looked very average today.not understanding the love he got last week
The dline wasn't firing off the LOS and getting low
I watched a Eagles WR do something that Anthony Schwartz can't do
Get behind a secondary by 5 yds and come up with a big time catch
Again the defense failed to create Turnovers like last year.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We lost by a missed field goal. Sound familiar?

Not knocking York. I think he’ll be great and win more than he’ll lose.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The DT’s were horrid. I don’t know how much Togiai played but I’m praying it wasn’t much. I couldn’t make out the numbers from where I sat. The linebackers weren’t good either but the only guy I think will make the roster is Fields unless another makes it for special teams only. I agree that early on the DEs were bad. I thought they got better later on. Rochell was pushed 2 yards deep in the end zone on one of the TDs. If we take 11 dbs I think Herb Miller might make this team. I don’t like that.

Offensively I thought we looked pretty good. I think we only had two penalties. I really am intrigued by Baldwin. He is a big body that last week and this week has shown some good things.!hope he makes the PS. I wonder how Dobbs has looked in other preseasons. He looks good but he is going against backups. Outside of the top 6 lineman I have no idea who will make this team. Was Dunn playing center?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I'd cut Josh Rosen and run with 2 QBs until Watson comes back. Use that extra roster spot at WR or DT where there is still so much uncertainty and youth and see how who might separate themselves as the season goes on. Heck, there seems like a lot of good young players at TE and RB too they team might not want to lose.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Was Dunn playing center?

I posted this earlier.

the guy who impressed me the most was Dunn. He played some center and quite a bit at guard. He got to the second level multiple times.

The first time I saw him, he was at center. Later at guard. Not sure if he shuffled back and forth. I don't think he did.

Legend
Legend
I didn’t watch it play for play, but I agree with a lot of this stuff.

- our DT play is horrid .. the first few drives they were getting gashed.
- I love what I see from Ford and Kelley. Our whole backfield is tough.
- I’m glad York missed honestly … he’s bound to miss a few times lol
- Bell has been underwhelming
- Dobbs was the star of the day. He’s a shoe in for the roster
- Hill will be cut immediately. He was toasted all day.
- Herb Miller certainly had a rollercoaster day.
- No injuries that I saw of note, which is good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think a guy to keep an eye on is Deon Cain for Philly. He looked really good to me. He was good at Clemson. Drafted by Indy and has bounced around mainly due to injuries. The announcers were saying the Eagles were looking for RB help. We could use another WR. They mentioned Reogar, the former 1st round pick, but Cain looked better to me.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don’t know how much Togiai played but I’m praying it wasn’t much.

It's really hard to identify numbers anymore because the camera cuts away so fast from the actual play, but Tiogai was playing at first. He was not as bad as the other guys, but I was disappointed in his performance.

L
Legend
Legend
L
If we’re to have a good D we can’t have a garbage interior.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
More on Dunn and the OL from PFF. I will post the individual grades once they become available, but here is this for now.

OFFENSIVE LINE
• Cleveland's offensive line kept the Eagles' pass-rushers at bay for the majority of the contest. The unit surrendered only two pressures — both hurries — on 33 team pass-blocking snaps.

• Guard Michael Dunn is on track to lead the team in run-blocking grade across 17 such snaps.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Just saw that Sheldon Richardson is a FA. We might want to make inquiries.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah lamp, we need help. Maybe after the cuts? The DTs were trash. Winfrey looks to a lot more talk than walk.

Legend
Legend
Thanks Vers. I missed that. I thought Cain looked good as well. I just don’t know how many receivers we can carry. I don’t see us cutting Cooper, DPJ, Schwartz, Bell, Woods. That does leave room for one more but we will need a returner. Hartley was up today. We also have Felton who was drafted last year by these guys. Woods might be able to qualify for IR but that can’t happen until final cuts.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sheldon Richardson, Suh, or anybody of worth that gets cut or can be traded for (we do have a plethora of backs)

I know Joe Thomas alluded to us maybe snagging a Philly WR

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah JT mentioned that. It might help that the Eagles have gotten a good look at our RB depth the past few days.

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Forgot to mentions Ford and DJ. Another good outing for both of them. Ford is a slippery little dude.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
We made two of their backups look like all pros. Who do they have on their roster at receiver?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
We made two of their backups look like all pros. Who do they have on their roster at receiver?
Reactor is certainly on the move or cut. I also liked that Kane guy today .. he’d be an upgrade IMO

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Reactor is certainly on the move or cut. I also liked that Kane guy today .. he’d be an upgrade IMO
REAGOR sorry

Legend
Legend
I liked Cain as well. He was a PS player last year. I wonder if he will be cut? Jalen Reagor is a former first round pick. I checked his stats and quite frankly they suck. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah Reagor is someone who’s underwhelmed AKA Corey Coleman lol

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Josh Rosen confuses me. At times I thought like he had potential. He seemed more mobile than I expected and threw a good ball, sometime. Then he looks like he can't hit the broad side of a barn. The one he threw in the dirt looked like he was throwing darts, sidearm. I am no QB mechanics expert, but his look bad.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In my opinion Rosen's problems seems to be in his head, it looks like he lets the previous play get to him if doesn't go well. I think that's why he looks so Jekyll and Hyde.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I think that's true.

The knock on Rosen when he was first drafted and took over the starting position in Glendale was that his focus was more on feeding his own ego and believing his own hype.

Once the OC was fired mid-season and the offense he had learned was changed, he seemed lost.

Murray was drafted.

Then began years of a humbling process. Some rise above it and rebound, others don't.

He's got all the physical stuff, but (imo) he's spent mentally.

When we got him, I thought he'd really challenge Dobbs for the #2. But I agree with the above poster who said we'll probably only carry Brissett and Dobbs.

Talented guy without the headspace to match. It's not uncommon story in the NFL.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Maybe we can make a deal for one of the Eagles WR's. I've read they have a deep and talented group, and they can't keep them all.

Legend
Legend
Not much to add. Pretty much the way I saw it.

Dobbs has been a pleasant surprise. What is encouraging is the way Dobbs played with second and third string guys. It gives more hope for what JB and the first unit can do.

Our backs are good. d'Ernest only had a couple carries but damn they were good carries. Ford continues to impress.

Bell played well. I agree on Dunn. In general the OL played well.

Fields made some plays. Wright did ok for a rookie. We had some opportunities for int's.

Lot of guys fighting to make the roster. Most of them will not make the team.

I am more curious about next week. Pre-season games are for coaches. I don't place much importance on the games other trying to see something from the rookies and roster depth. The big thing don't lose players to injury.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Just saw that Sheldon Richardson is a FA. We might want to make inquiries.
When someone said, Analytics? that system doesn't get real players. Well, Analytics, that system doesn't keep real players.
There is probably some analytic against going after a layer they cut, or didn't resign from 2 years earlier.

This process of bringing in new guys who suck to replace previous guys who were good or at least ok, is really going to be hard to watch.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Bengals vs. Giants game currently on tv, in Columbus, .... sadly, is much much much closer to a regular season game in competitiveness, than either of the two Browns' preseason games thus far.
And Tyrod Taylor is in for the Giants, and, he's still doing uestionable things on 2nd downs consistently.
I mean he wouldn't convert a 2nd and 4 if he had I0 yards of open space ahead of him, he'd get 3 and bring up 3rd and one.

It's almost like Tyrod Taylor, doesn't feel you are allowed to get the first if you don't play the 3rd down.

I wonder then, how many times have the Browns converted on 2nd down? And Why isn't this stat advertised more?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
We lost by a missed field goal. Sound familiar?
Is there an analytic that reproduces that?
I think, they lost by failing to score on their 2nd to last drive, even while going for it twice on 4th down. and they failed to score on their final drive.

I think that sounds familiar. And those could include, even though the Browns defense got a stop late in the game.
Anyone remember a Raider game loss, or another game loss where the Browns got an interception with less than 5 minutes to play in the game, and had the lead and still lost because the offense...
the Browns offense is treated like a 2nd class citizen by the Browns own analyzers when it comes to things like, (what to do with draft picks) or, (should they keep and develop their own guys.).

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Could only listen on the radio today...I like Zegura in general and on podcasts and such...but man...he sounds like a total H-O-M-E-R. He'd call out a "great" play when we'd hit a guy before a 1st down or TD while STILL giving up the 1st down or TD.

I think Jerrod Cherry would be a better color guy than Zegura. We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.

1 member likes this: jfanent
T
Legend
Legend
T
Does the offense even have a coach? What coach is going to take responsibility for, what looks like the exact same plays the offense has ran since Stefanski became HC, so nothing new, no Xs' and Os' development whatsoever.
And it obviously hasn't worked, because they never score in the 4th @uarter.
and Consistently it hasn't worked, and with various groupings of players it hasn't worked.

Legend
Legend
Bernie.
Period.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
Legend
What can we get for Rosen? No, really.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.

+1.

I'm also going to miss hearing his little groans when the Browns give up a 3rd/long by one yard, or when a WR drops a gimme with no defenders in sight. He's every bit the homer that Jimmy is, and it showed on plays like those. He was always a fan just like us.

a side note: JT73 did color on my TV broadcast. My jury is still out on him. On one hand, he's very knowledgeable, calls the after-play well, and can be funny and engaging. On the other hand, his vocal delivery is a little too close to Tony Romo's for my taste. I loved his podcast with Andrew Hawkins, but that format was 'two guys just kicking it,' and he's great in that setting. And I'll admit up-front: I'm really hard on ex-player color guys. I hate most of them! rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Could only listen on the radio today...I like Zegura in general and on podcasts and such...but man...he sounds like a total H-O-M-E-R. He'd call out a "great" play when we'd hit a guy before a 1st down or TD while STILL giving up the 1st down or TD.

I think Jerrod Cherry would be a better color guy than Zegura. We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.
Good gosh you arent lying. Zegura loves the sound of his own voice
Listening to him hype up the players is comical.
If you didn't know any better, the Browns 4th string LB is better than
Another teams 1st string LB according to Zegura.
Even Joe Thomas inserts homerisms once in awhile.

Legend
Legend
I agree about Thomas actually. He’s really good breaking stuff down but gets a little too silly during the actual game. The comparison to Romo came to my mind as I was watching too.

But I also think he’ll get better and better because he’s so smart and personable

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Eagles 21 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard