Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
What can we get for Rosen? No, really.
IIRC they said Rosen was 5 for 6 last week.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
What can we get for Rosen? No, really.
No Really?
The Browns Wr room has become so uestionable... ( How @uestionable said all comedians following up a set up line...)
that Khadarel Hodge's return would be a boone to the Wr room and he'd instantly be a veter.. a'nother veteran presence in the Wr room, I think.
Google says Khadarel Hodge is an Atlanta Falcon, and had I57 yards on I3 catches last year for the Lions.
( I know, ... but it IS/may-be THAT bad) of the current Browns Wrs. sigh. )
Do you think they could get a player for player swap of Hodge for Rosen?
It's not probable
It is Think-able.
You asked. ( I never liked Hodge, because he stalled drives, but, at least every now and then, I dunno, It's bleak.) Is it not?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
With how the NFL is now, you’d think that we’ll be able to at least upgrade the bottom of our WR corps once cut downs occur.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I didn't get to watch the whole game because our son and his family paid an unexpected visit. But I did put the game on my tablet and got to watch random plays from mid-2nd quarter until mid-4th. I could not watch closely though, so didn't really know who I was watching. But in that limited exposure, I thought we looked bad and was surprised the score was so close. From what I saw our D got a smack down and the O was still struggling. I know it's preseason and most of those guys won't even be here next week, but what I saw looked sorry. Woods' D scheme doesn't excite me one iota, and frankly never has. He has had a handful of good games with the Browns, and a couple of them were top-notch defensively, but overall his calling the D scares me tbh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.

+1.

I'm also going to miss hearing his little groans when the Browns give up a 3rd/long by one yard, or when a WR drops a gimme with no defenders in sight. He's every bit the homer that Jimmy is, and it showed on plays like those. He was always a fan just like us.

a side note: JT73 did color on my TV broadcast. My jury is still out on him. On one hand, he's very knowledgeable, calls the after-play well, and can be funny and engaging. On the other hand, his vocal delivery is a little too close to Tony Romo's for my taste. I loved his podcast with Andrew Hawkins, but that format was 'two guys just kicking it,' and he's great in that setting. And I'll admit up-front: I'm really hard on ex-player color guys. I hate most of them! rofl

I agree. After listening to Joe, he wouldn't be a HOF broadcaster.

I don't get to listen to radio calls so I can't say from actually listening to Zugura. I'd just say to give it some time to let the guy find is footing. For several years now the guy's job was to be a pom-pom holder. It's going to take some time for him to drop those and find his spot...if he can.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
At one time during the broadcast someone said something about Philly might need a back. These practices and game were a good opportunity for them to scout a few of ours. Maybe we will be able to work a trade? Kelly had a nice showing. Kelly did keep Kamara on the bench when at Tennessee. Maybe he caught Philly's eye, or maybe he showed enough to allow us to move on from DJ or Hunt?

I just think it foolish to just cut guys rather than trade them, especially when you have recently had some asking for a trade.

I liked what I saw from both Bell and Harley. Harley got it done in college....he could be the sleeper we needed to show up.

Tony Fields looked fast and decisive. Another backer who flashed was #51...I can't remember his name. We just picked him up. He looks like he could be a valuable ST player.

Our 2nd team O-line looked really good. As for O-line in general, I was never sold on Harris at center. I like Poicic and it looks like we won't have trouble finding someone who can fill in and do a good job if needed. Dunn looked good, Hance has played center...it isn't a worry for me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Yeah agree about Dobbs with his pocket presence and intelligence. Hell, I wouldn’t mind if he started over Jacoby, if it came to that.

I feel the same way.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Yeah agree about Dobbs with his pocket presence and intelligence. Hell, I wouldn’t mind if he started over Jacoby, if it came to that.

I feel the same way.
I half joked during the game: Maybe Brissett will want to start the 2nd half after watching Dobbs’ 1st half performance.

I’m not sure how much better Brissett can be than that (granted, it is against a backup defense with backup OL, etc)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Play calling in a preseason game is vanilla. So are the defensive concepts. Teams don't blitz very often, don't run many stunts, and do not change the coverage from the initial look. Thus, evaluating play calling is a worthless endeavor during the preseason.

What I can say is both teams played fairly clean games despite being played w/backups and guys that won't even make either team. That's a positive for both coaching staffs. I will also say that Stefanski did a nice job of managing the clock at the end of the game. He remains calm in those types of decisions. He does not get overly animated and never looks bewildered like some other coaches. I liked how he had Van Pelt by his side and how they appeared to be addressing the possibilities. As an aside and this is mean, but I can't believe Van Pelt was a college and NFL qb. He has really let himself go. I've never thought coaches should be so overweight because it shows a lack of discipline. With that said, Andy Reid is one of the better coaches in the NFL. I just think coaches should set a good example for their players.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I feel the same way.
I half joked during the game: Maybe Brissett will want to start the 2nd half after watching Dobbs’ 1st half performance.

I’m not sure how much better Brissett can be than that (granted, it is against a backup defense with backup OL, etc)

I think starting a qb controversy would be dumb. JB hasn't even played yet and we are discussing replacing him. Furthermore, please remember that preseason defenses don't blitz much, run many stunts, or disguise coverages.

Itt's my opinion that we allow the coaches to make the choices. Not only do they possess more knowledge than us, but they see these guys every day. The last thing this team needs is more controversy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Could only listen on the radio today...I like Zegura in general and on podcasts and such...but man...he sounds like a total H-O-M-E-R. He'd call out a "great" play when we'd hit a guy before a 1st down or TD while STILL giving up the 1st down or TD.

I think Jerrod Cherry would be a better color guy than Zegura. We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.
Good gosh you arent lying. Zegura loves the sound of his own voice
Listening to him hype up the players is comical.
If you didn't know any better, the Browns 4th string LB is better than
Another teams 1st string LB according to Zegura.
Even Joe Thomas inserts homerisms once in awhile.

Newsflash: That's their job.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Some fans lose sight of what these games are really about and respond as if pre-season games have the same purpose as regular season games.

With only 3 pre-season games scheduled, teams are focused on finding players..those hidden gems that might have been overlooked in the draft as well as assessing their own draft picks. Developing and improving the quality of your teams depth benefits the most from this approach.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
We lost by a missed field goal. Sound familiar?

Not knocking York. I think he’ll be great and win more than he’ll lose.

Wasn't there a bit of a bumbling of the ball on that second attempt by York? I thought so, but not 100% sure

Anyway, Dobbs looked good... Our RB's looked good.. Nicer WR play....

Forgot to mention, I don't know how Rosen makes the team....

Last edited by Damanshot; 08/22/22 08:13 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
And ineffective today. Dobbs performed twice. Last week's outing gives him some swap value. I think we will be shedding one QB and one running back. Real interested in the PS that we build. I still prefer moving Rosen based on what I saw, even so while considering who he was out there with. Fourth quarter choke with the game on the line (sound familiar?). Not hating him; I do feel Dobbsy outplayed him twice. Entertain your own opinions, the window is open; debate for too long, and you have decided to keep him by refusing to decide. What does JR give us that we do not have? What might we add that we lack with his trade or roster spot? The latter IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I like Nate. He has worked hard to get the job.

My son and daughter-in-law became buddies with him on his radio show.

His interviews with players are really good. He connects with the players and coaches. He really prepares. Knows his stuff.

I think he does the job well that he is payed to do.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ham sandwich.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I feel the same way.

I think starting a qb controversy would be dumb. JB hasn't even played yet and we are discussing replacing him. Furthermore, please remember that preseason defenses don't blitz much, run many stunts, or disguise coverages.

Itt's my opinion that we allow the coaches to make the choices. Not only do they possess more knowledge than us, but they see these guys every day. The last thing this team needs is more controversy.

I get all those points vers, but I don’t think the coaches/FO care about what nobodies such as myself think, lol.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Could only listen on the radio today...I like Zegura in general and on podcasts and such...but man...he sounds like a total H-O-M-E-R. He'd call out a "great" play when we'd hit a guy before a 1st down or TD while STILL giving up the 1st down or TD.

I think Jerrod Cherry would be a better color guy than Zegura. We are going to miss Dieken's candid comments when we are playing like crap.
Good gosh you arent lying. Zegura loves the sound of his own voice
Listening to him hype up the players is comical.
If you didn't know any better, the Browns 4th string LB is better than
Another teams 1st string LB according to Zegura.
Even Joe Thomas inserts homerisms once in awhile.

Newsflash: That's their job.

Yes it is...and Dieken simply didn't do the job that way. He was great to listen-to.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
To quote Joe Thomas “Ass over Tea Kettle” was friggin hilarious. That was a Whoops moment. I think Joe will be great once he gets a little more time.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Analytics for that too, I bet. LOL

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How the Browns defense graded out vs. the Eagles

Updated: Aug. 22, 2022, 5:31 p.m.|Published: Aug. 22, 2022, 5:30 p.m.
Cleveland Browns vs. Philadelphia Eagles preseason, August 21, 2022
!

By Irie Harris, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio-- Safety Jovante Moffat and linebacker Dakota Allen led the Browns in defensive rating in Sunday’s preseason loss to the Eagles, according to Pro Football Focus.

Both players had a 77.0 overall rating. According to PFF, Allen played 40 snaps, and finished with a coverage rating of 86.1 Allen left his print the entire game.

Linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk also made an impact, finishing second with a tackle rating of 81.1, and cornerback Shaun Jolly was not far behind with a tackle rating of 77.2 on 30 snaps.

Here’s how the rest of the defense graded:

(PFF grades every player on every play and uses a scale of 0-100, with higher grades indicating better play. PFF has explained its grades this way: 100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable. In other words, it’s similar to how we would match up percentages with traditional letter grades in school.)

NOTE: Snap counts in parentheses.

DEFENSIVE END

Isaac Rochell: 71.9 (40)

Curtis Weaver: 59.0 (48)

Chris Odom: 44.9 (29)

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Roderick Perry II: 58.1 (36)

Glen Logan: 55.8 (32)

Tommy Togiai: 47.7 (24)

Perrion Winfrey: 43.8 (32)

LINEBACKER

Dakota Allen: 77.0 (40)

Jordan Kunaszyk: 69.6 (38)

Alex Wright: 69.1 (32)

Willie Harvey: 67.7 (35)

Tony Fields II: 55.4 (50)

CORNERBACK

Parnell Motley: 70.0 (31)

Shaun Jolly: 59.9 (30)

A.J. Green: 59.4 (26)

Martin Emerson Jr: 58.0 (12)

Herb Miller: 54.5 (47)

Lavert Hill: 29.1 (54)

SAFETY

Jovante Moffat: 77.0 (26)

Luther Kirk: 65.9 (22)

D’Anthony Bell: 62.4 (52)

Richard LeCounte: 57.9 (52)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/how-the-browns-defense-graded-out-vs-the-eagles.html

Like I said in my original post, the DTs were terrible.

A few surprises:

--I thought Fields played better than that.

--Did not think Rochelle deserved that grade.

--I didn't notice D. Allen much.

--Thought AJ Green did better.

Final thought: Really poor outing by the defense. I wish I had access to the offensive grades. I'm surprised I haven't received them yet. I'm sticking w/Dunn grading high and the OL as a whole doing pretty good, especially the guys who were in there w/Dobbs. The backs had to have graded well. The WRs should be acceptable.

Legend
Legend
I didn't even realize Curtice Weaver was still on the team. I was pulling for the guy when we picked him up. He was a beast in college and then had a horrific injury where his big toe was almost ripped off during his rookie training camp in Miami. We stole him from the injury waiver wire. Did he even play much last year? I don't recall hearing his name much.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jfanent
I didn't even realize Curtice Weaver was still on the team. I was pulling for the guy when we picked him up. He was a beast in college and then had a horrific injury where his big toe was almost ripped off during his rookie training camp in Miami. We stole him from the injury waiver wire. Did he even play much last year? I don't recall hearing his name much.

He stayed on our PS all last year.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
So, PFF says that Motley was our best CB, but we released Motley today..... one of these things doesn't seem right.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
PFF might have said it but the eye did not agree.

He was horrible.

L
Legend
Legend
L
DT and LB are still ginormous holes.. If teams start running on us early it will be a long season. We don't have a single DT that should be starting. I really hope we bring in a couple this week.. I'd take a hard look at Suh or Richardson. Both would be MASSIVE upgrades over that trash we are rolling out. Or maybe we trade one of our 39899293932 CB we like to hoard. Our secondary is beyond deep enough. We need help elsewhere.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here are the offensive PFF grades.

How Joshua Dobbs, John Kelly Jr and the rest of the Browns offense graded vs. the Eagles
Published: Aug. 22, 2022, 7:53 p.m.

By Irie Harris, cleveland.com
Cleveland, Ohio-- The Browns offense provided consistent play during the first half, while the second half witnessed a scoring drought. Quarterback Joshua Dobbs continued his consistent playmaking from the first preseason game, and finished with a 81.9 overall grade, according to Pro Football Focus.

Josh Rosen took over quarterback duties for the second half, and was unable to match Dobbs’ play and graded out at 51.2 overall grade.

After 30 snaps, right guard Blake Hence led the entire offense with a 91.7 overall grade and a blocking rating of 76.7. John Kelly also provided a spark with rushing grade of 73.8.

Here’s how the rest of the offense graded out:

(PFF grades every player on every play and uses a scale of 0-100, with higher grades indicating better play. PFF has explained its grades this way: 100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable. In other words, it’s similar to how we would match up percentages with traditional letter grades in school.)

QUARTERBACK

Josh Dobbs: 81.9 (41)

Josh Rosen: 51.2 (33)

RUNNING BACKS

D’Ernest Johnson: 73.6 (7)

John Kelly: 70.2 (35)

Jerome Ford: 60.6 (23)

Johnny Stanton IV: 52.5 (9)

WIDE RECEIVER

Javon Wims: 71.4 (18)

David Bell: 69.0 (23)

Ja’Marcus Bradley: 57.2 (43)

Mike Harley: 53.3 (61)

Anthony Schwartz: 53.3 (26)

Daylen Baldwin: 52.2 (30)

TIGHT END

Nakia Griffin-Stewart: 70.2 (33)

Miller Forristall: 53.7 (15)

Zaire Mitchell-Paden: 52.4 (38)

Marcus Santos-Silva: 46.6 (9)

OFFENSIVE LINE

Michael Dunn: 84.7 (41)

Brock Hoffman: 66.0 (33)

Alex Taylor: 64.3 (74)

Hjalte Froholdt: 64.2 (44)

Drew Forbes: 64.1 (41)

David Moore: 60.5 (33)

James Hudson III: 57.5 (30)

Ben Petrula: 51.0 (44)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...browns-offense-graded-vs-the-eagles.html

I figured Dunn would grade well. I loved his work on the second level.

No real surprises other than the WRs are a little lower than I would have thought. Nothing drastic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Eagles 21 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard