Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1966080 08/30/22 09:57 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The season begins.

Other than Baker I don't know a lot about the Panthers.

I watched a little of their last pre-season game. I know they are starting the 6th pick at LT.

Their OL did not look to good in the small sample size I saw. McCaffrey is a great player but I don't know if he will start. I guess he will but not sure.

If someone knows a lot about them please inform us.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
This game may have gotten a little more interesting now that Baker was quoted saying "I am going to F*** them up", referring to the Browns week one. I was never a big fan of trash talk especially before the game even starts, but Baker has a reputation of playing well when emotionally charged or when everyone is against him. Maybe his last pre-season performance/stats gave him confidence back.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article265064864.html

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 08/30/22 10:16 AM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No concern about any talk which is media driven.

My interest is what do they have? What can we expect to see. What kind of match-ups?

How do the Browns match-up against them.

I have an idea of what are game plan will look like offensively.

However, it my belief that the strength of the Browns is their defense. Can the OL of Carolina protect Baker?

Will our secondary have an edge from their experience practicing against Baker?

Can we run on them? What can we expect with Jacoby with the full first string?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know a bit about the Panthers because they are local. I'll comment more one the GameDay forum opens.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by bonefish

My interest is what do they have? What can we expect to see. What kind of match-ups?

However, it my belief that the strength of the Browns is their defense. Can the OL of Carolina protect Baker?

I'll reread it, but that didn't seem media driven to me. When asked if he was {paraphrase here "excited") about playing the Browns. There were a lot of other answers he could have given.

Legend
Legend
Panthers have good weapons with CMC and Moore. Their D is a little suspect IIRC.

However, the line has shifted more in their favor, which isn’t a good sign.

I think they’ll probably beat us, but we have the better overall roster

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'm expecting the typical not-ready-for-the-game impression on opening day. Stupid penalties, miscommunication, players not in game-shape. Please prove me wrong.

P
Legend
Legend
P
According to Browns fans on this board, and I agree with them, the Browns have a much better roster pretty much from top to bottom. With that said the Browns should sail to an easy victory. If it's a really close game or they lose it signals a strong possibility for a very rough season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I'm expecting the typical not-ready-for-the-game impression on opening day. Stupid penalties, miscommunication, players not in game-shape. Please prove me wrong.

I fully expect this to happen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Was that the case last year in KC?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect an ugly game where anything could happen. Hopefully, we get an early lead and can ground and pound. Brian Burns could be a problem in the passing game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I expect an ugly game where anything could happen. Hopefully, we get an early lead and can ground and pound. Brian Burns could be a problem in the passing game.

Yeah, Burns is a great pass rusher, but he is small for an end, so hopefully we can run right at him and wear him down a bit. Tire him out some and hopefully slow him down a bit on passing downs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

I'll reread it, but that didn't seem media driven to me. When asked if he was {paraphrase here "excited") about playing the Browns. There were a lot of other answers he could have given.

Frelund describes greeting Mayfield more like a fan than a media member. In the context she describes, he could very well have believed (perhaps stupidly) they were having a personal conversation, not conducting an "interview".

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It really does not matter.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Why do you expect that?

B
Legend
Legend
B
It really does not matter.

I agree. He is supposed to think that way about us. We need to think that way about them, but we won't. We won't be ready to play until week 3.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea what you and others would think that. The Browns played a very good game against the Chiefs in week one last season. Almost pulled off a win against one of the very best teams in the NFL. They then won their next three games in a row. Considering all of that, I find some of these posts very weird. Almost as if people are making up an excuse for failure before a play has even been snapped.

I'm not saying you're wrong in how the season may start, but after last season let's not pretend posters can look at last season and pretend that the Browns were or are slow starters. Last year clearly shows that's not the case. We all know where the weak link will be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Why do you expect that?

Because I've seen it too many times STR.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I have no idea what you and others would think that. The Browns played a very good game against the Chiefs in week one last season. Almost pulled off a win against one of the very best teams in the NFL. They then won their next three games in a row. Considering all of that, I find some of these posts very weird. Almost as if people are making up an excuse for failure before a play has even been snapped.

I'm not saying you're wrong in how the season may start, but after last season let's not pretend posters can look at last season and pretend that the Browns were or are slow starters. Last year clearly shows that's not the case. We all know where the weak link will be.

The defense couldn't stop up a toilet in week 1 last year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Then they won their next three games in a row. While Peen said they wouldn't be ready until week three. It's all about context.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I didn't say that to diminish anything Bake might do. I said that because we never seem to be ready.

Maybe a little dig at the coach for running camps a little too much on the lollypop side.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's all about context.

Their next 3 games were Chicago, Houston, and Minnesota. Chicago and Houston were putrid (and we looked awful vs Houston). Minnesota was looking tough at that point and that was a hard-fought win. Defense, in particular, out of the gate was a joke.

This year should be better in that the core of the D returned and is building off of last year. I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but the honest truth is that there is no reason we should struggle in that first game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Dave

Frelund describes greeting Mayfield more like a fan than a media member. In the context she describes, he could very well have believed (perhaps stupidly) they were having a personal conversation, not conducting an "interview".

That makes sense., I don't know her from anything so your explanation sounds plausible. Thanks.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The Baker comment/audio thing is not a big deal.

Paying him $10+M or whatever it is to beat the Browns, when the Browns should win the game easy, would be a very big deal. You better believe that'd be one of the lead stories on every sporting media outlet if it happens. A truly nauseous thought. We need to win the game. We better win the game. I haven't yet re-upped my Sunday Ticket so this is going to be one of very few games I am guaranteed to watch, I don't want it to upset me for the entire season!!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I can understand the sentiment but we are starting a backup quarterback on the road.

I don't have a clue about this game really. Other than Baker and McCafferty i know very little about the Panthers.

The Browns can run the ball. I don't know how well Carolina can defend the run.

After the first game I will at least have an idea about the Browns this year. Right now I am guessing.

Turn on the game and see what happens.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
And keep the Tums handy!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dave

That makes sense., I don't know her from anything so your explanation sounds plausible. Thanks.[/quote]

I think it was mostly just having fun ! which is sports and fans having fun or ugly unnecessary ugly moments. We all do that having fun and poking each other.

I despise social media and the media. She shouldn't have shared that, that was being disrespectful to Baker . Private means don't make a dollar over it.

One thing I do wonder about. If Baker said " Is there any Cheese Cake Factories around in NC ? Might be able to fix it ! " LOL !!

That was funny and harmless , I need some kind of fun again on this board !

As a Browns fan would love to see a season opener win ! Don't matter who the heck it is they are playing !

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wonder what the reaction would have been on here had OBJ made the exact same comments under the exact same circumstances that Baker did?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers, you can't take a what if and compare it to a what did , if even that what did even happened.

Not even sure why you are bringing up OBJ from my post.

I might be missing something here. Did OBJ say that ?

Honestly I don't remember.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry bro, wasn't directed towards you. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the BM Club.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't look at a person's opinion of a person or situation that affects me. they can like BM or nor not

What a poster thinks of a situation or person is all on them.

It's their opinion, it's their soul and their belief !

A right we have the choice to agree or not !

Trust me ! I'm not the opinion of someone affect my health or happiness.

Life goes on, even when this board loses some of us

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Sorry bro, wasn't directed towards you. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the BM Club.

Yeah, I don't think this means much. Baker has handled himself well in Carolina. I read where he admitted it might mean a little more, but he hasn't dissed the Browns. I also have seen that he has been a good teammate during camp and that him and Darnold were really getting along. It seems like he is maturing.

rofl

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

Yeah, I don't think this means much. Baker has handled himself well in Carolina. I read where he admitted it might mean a little more, but he hasn't dissed the Browns. I also have seen that he has been a good teammate during camp and that him and Darnold were really getting along. It seems like he is maturing.

rofl

The gift that keeps on giving. Baker makes a comment, he plays "whatabout" with OBJ. Soon he'll say the thread has gone to $hit and wonder why nobody wants to talk football...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888
Legend
Legend
I think we win game 1... it's about damn time we win an opening game...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wonder what the reaction would have been on here had OBJ made the exact same comments under the exact same circumstances that Baker did?

Lots of laughter. OBJ sucks.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by jaybird
I think we win game 1... it's about damn time we win an opening game...

After the Frielund stuff came out today, where you have an NFL Network reporter openly rooting against the Browns because of Watson, I really hope the Browns rally around the fact that everyone hates them.

Bitonio was right. I wish he really didn't back down from his comments. It's so dumb that there was even pushback on what he said.

If the Browns come out and lay an egg game 1 that will tell you everything you need to know about Stefanski and the team's leaders.

It's time to get a nasty streak. It's Cleveland against the world. Screw everyone else.

T
Legend
Legend
T

I have an imprinted memory from that game in my memory.
Well, first of all Baker Mayfield was the Browns Uarterback in that game, and my imprinted memory was he was something like I4-of I5 in completion percentage going into the halftime,
and whatever it was, it was one or maybe two completions better than Mahommes at the time, going into the Half, mahommes had had a really good game (in that first half) with like buku+ percentage complete but Mayfields was about one completion better. (at halftime)

This is not the 202I Browns. This is not the 2020 Browns. So many players have left it's not the same team.
Nobody may want to admit that it's a rebuild year as in my poll in the poll forum was all votes to mine against me agreed that (they think) it's not a rebuild year for the Browns.
But as time cointinues on it will be more difficult to deny. This is a rebuild year because, they rebuilt the DL, the starting center, cut ties with their 3 top Wr's their Franchise @uarterback, and they aren't brining back all of their tight ends.
(honestly the OL, DL and receivers would be enough to make it a rebuilding year, how is it anything but undeniable. )
Nick Harris is not JC Tretter.
What's his name ( Jordan Elliot), and Tommy Togiai are not Malik Jackson and Malik McDowell. ( Malik Jackson was a proven veteran in for one year with the Browns last year.) I don't think the Browns have a proven Veteran Nose Tackle on the team today. (Taven Bryan is more finesse than a ...)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Legend
Legend
R

They did come out firing on all cylinders last year but couldn't sustain it and hold on for the win. And even though we started 3-1, it felt like that week 1 loss really deflated the team.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Meh, this team is so used to losing the first game every year that it won't affect morale. The players will come out every week and battle hard, watch and see. We need to worry about how much losing the fans will accept without looking for heads to roll. And Jimmy is so trigger-happy that these two things bother me way more than the team giving up. You also have to remember that we have above-average to great talent all over this team. And for most of them, thinking this is the year we get it done is how they all felt before AND after the DW/BM trades. They might not have expected the suspension or the number of games, but the motto is next man up, not a woe is me. However, these very smart athletes know that without DW, we are sub-average at QB. So, it's up to them, every one of them, to make sure their games are on point to help the team win. If we lose the mental edge in games early this season, it will be the longest in recent memory. Sure we had the Hue years, but we wanted any win those years, yet never expected it. Most of us desire a super bowl in this window we have been boasting about for the last three or four years. And not getting that would be so much more painful.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/30/22 11:54 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: FATE
T
Legend
Legend
T
" I think we win game I" My dyslexia kicked in and for a spilt second I thought it read I think we win I game. Yeah, Atlanta, and the Jets are 60-50 other than that I don't know how the Browns win any games. And it's all because Brissett is ... in my opinion. Sorry to all the other players. (t.s.i.d.g.r.p.) that system it doesn't get real players.
------------------------
I came here to say not that^ but to say. The Panthers traded for Laviska Shenault.
With Laviska Shenault, and Shi Smith, and Robbie Anderson, and Rashard Higgins. Is this the best receiver corp that Baker has had in any of his years? They also have ?? (their #I option) and then Terrace Marshall Jr. who is getting bad reviews from fans.

OK, OK, the Key to the Browns winning, in the opener
Is if the Browns Linebackers, specifically Jacob Phillips and Anthony Walker, can act as DT's and stop the run whilst the Browns DL, which very little can be expected of on the inside.. tries to take off it's roller skates.

I don't see how the other team doesn't light it up, like the 4th of July. It's going to ,maybe, just maybe, be an exciting game.
I think perhaps the biggest problem for the Browns is if Christian McCaffery goes all crazy mode and gains like 300 yards.

( best strategy to beat the Panthers. Force A.Schwartz onto their starting roster. )
don't let me be mis-understood -- temporary loves so bad but it feels so good
then along came you and you know it's true. Naughty Fans need love Too. (Samantha Fox lyrics)
(( This is where Adrian screams at Rocky "You Can't WIN" ))

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Browns versus Panthers

Link Copied to Clipboard