Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
It's time to get a nasty streak. It's Cleveland against the world. Screw everyone else.

Agreed! Screw everyone.... go Browns

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I wonder what the reaction would have been on here had OBJ made the exact same comments under the exact same circumstances that Baker did?

Lots of laughter. OBJ sucks.

He's solid at whining and season-ending injuries.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird
It's time to get a nasty streak. It's Cleveland against the world. Screw everyone else.

Agreed! Screw everyone.... go Browns

Hasn't it been that way here for the last decade or so? I'd love one year of hearing how great a team we actually are much better. And I don't think that should have taken twenty years. I think we'll win our share, but I don't see us setting the world on fire this year, do you? Does anybody? I'm tempering my expectations, because of reality, at least IMHO. Continuing to be honest, just from what I've seen, I wish we'd roll with Dobbs at the number 2 spot instead of Brissett. I wonder if he was guaranteed that he would be DWs back up here when he signed or something. Maybe he's a gamer I've never heard about, but I've watched some limited tape and he looks more like Tyrod Taylor than Baker OR Deshaun.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
To be honest, Dobbs starting week 1 would be ok with me.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I'm expecting the typical not-ready-for-the-game impression on opening day. Stupid penalties, miscommunication, players not in game-shape. Please prove me wrong.

I fully expect this to happen.

Was that the case last year in KC?

They did come out firing on all cylinders last year but couldn't sustain it and hold on for the win. And even though we started 3-1, it felt like that week 1 loss really deflated the team.

Come on, Rish. We were ready to play. You have to know why WSU said what he did. Right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we win game 1... it's about damn time we win an opening game...

After the Frielund stuff came out today, where you have an NFL Network reporter openly rooting against the Browns because of Watson, I really hope the Browns rally around the fact that everyone hates them.

Bitonio was right. I wish he really didn't back down from his comments. It's so dumb that there was even pushback on what he said.

If the Browns come out and lay an egg game 1 that will tell you everything you need to know about Stefanski and the team's leaders.

I hope the Browns destroy Baker and the Panthers. I hope we sack him multiple times and pick him off a time or three. I hope this team embraces the us against the world attitude.

3 members like this: Homewood Dog, Rishuz, Ballpeen
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Funny .how come Baker never those words to when he was
In Cleveland when they faced other teams?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by lampdogg

There may be a Dobbs sighting in Week 4 if three losses are directly attributable to Brissett before then (ridiculous picks, taking ridiculous sacks, unable to manage or execute a two minute drive....). I hope it doesn't and don't think it will happen, but who knows. It would be a bad look for the Browns.

As far as the Panthers, they'll sell out to stop the run early and force Brissett to quickly get chemistry with the underneath receivers. The TEs will have to step up big, early. It'll be difficult to run the first couple of quarters. Can Brissett sell the play action?

Hoping against hope the DTs will make some sort of fuss, because there will be a lot of double teaming our DEs. Creative LB (JOK) or S blitzes might be the way to get to Baker early. Can't get behind by 10 or more any time in the second half. The run should loosen up by then.

imo

But what do I know?

L
Legend
Legend
L
The reason Brissett is here is because he manages the game and doesn't turn the ball over.. Thats it, if you don't turn the ball over you got a chance..You know Baker is going to turn the ball over, noone has done it more since 2018, that will be the key, win the turnover battle and dominate with the run

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

Me too.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Funny .how come Baker never those words to when he was
In Cleveland when they faced other teams?

It was a sarcastic, off the cuff remark in reply to a stupid question. He wasn't saying anything to diss the browns or anything like that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

I do too. I was happy when we signed him. He did a good job in college at Tennessee. He is a smart, articulate man and IMO a pretty darn good QB. I might not want him starting over brissett because I really haven't seen much of Brissett, but I wasn't all that impressed with him when he played for the Gators before transferring to NC St..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I know Steelers fans were ragging on me when we signed Dobbs, but I also think he was a terrible fit for their scheme (the Big Ben immobile pocket scheme)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I didn't say that to diminish anything Bake might do. I said that because we never seem to be ready.

Maybe a little dig at the coach for running camps a little too much on the lollypop side.

I have no idea why you thought I might have perceived you were referencing Baker? I meant as a team. The defense certainly wasn't ready in that first game but there had been a huge overhaul on the roster on that side of the ball. So I don't think that was unexpected by most. My point was that as a team other then the D in that first game the team looked pretty well prepared. They won their next three in a row. now people can throw out "yeah but look who we played" all they want. You don't even beat mediocre teams if you're beating yourselves.

And about "camp cupcake". Coming out of it at 3-1 after four games I can't quite see the point everyone here is trying to make. The more heavy contact you endure the higher the likelihood of injury. Your ability to endure tough physical contact comes from training and being prepared from a physical standpoint to having your body in the proper shape to take such physical abuse. Not from beating the hell out of each other in practice. Reps are what make you ready to execute on the field. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry bro, wasn't directed towards you. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the BM Club.

Another swing and a miss. I upheld OBJ as much as you did. You say you only want football talk in Pure Football. Yet here you are being the first to derail it. Not surprising.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
If the Browns come out and lay an egg game 1 that will tell you everything you need to know about Stefanski and the team's leaders.

Or it will tell you that the horrific and tumultuous environment Haslam brought to the Browns is something that can not be overcome by mere mortals.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope the Browns destroy Baker and the Panthers. I hope we sack him multiple times and pick him off a time or three. I hope this team embraces the us against the world attitude.

I certainly hope the Browns win. I'm also certainly glad I can do that without holding animosity for Baker. It must be tough carrying all of that anger around. You do realize having to embrace that "us against the world" thing was imported here by Haslam, right? It didn't need to or have to be that way.

#selfinflictedwounds

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I have no anger towards Baker. I wish him well except when he plays us as I have all the players that left us for another team. If he does well in Carolina fine if he doesn't well that's too bad but it no longer has anything to do with us. I want us to beat the Panthers in the worse way because #1 if we don't, we will look really bad and of course it won't be the first time and #2 I want us to break our dismal 1st game of the season losing skid. Only one win the first game of the season since 1999 is utterly ridiculous. A Canadian league team could have done better than that!!

3 members like this: lampdogg, mgh888, PitDAWG
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I have no issue with Baker. None. I wish him well and want him to succeed. I wish it would have worked in Cleveland.

However, I hope we win and do so convincingly.

And then the next week and all the weeks thereafter.

We have a good team. There are many players on the Browns that I look forward to watching.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What are the expectations for Jacoby Brissett in this opening game?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think we win game 1... it's about damn time we win an opening game...

After the Frielund stuff came out today, where you have an NFL Network reporter openly rooting against the Browns because of Watson, I really hope the Browns rally around the fact that everyone hates them.

Bitonio was right. I wish he really didn't back down from his comments. It's so dumb that there was even pushback on what he said.

I would absolutely LOVE to see that and really hope it happens but to be honest, I would not be surprised if the Browns lost and Baker had 3 TDs.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
130 QB rating against the AFC champions .

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I certainly hope the Browns win. I'm also certainly glad I can do that without holding animosity for Baker. It must be tough carrying all of that anger around. You do realize having to embrace that "us against the world" thing was imported here by Haslam, right? It didn't need to or have to be that way.

#selfinflictedwounds

I want the Browns to win of course, but if we can’t win, I hope Baker lights up the scoreboard.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Protect the ball. Make the plays that are there to be made.

Use the check downs. Don't be afraid to throw the ball away and let the defense work. Make the throws that he is comfortable with.

Jacoby has experience. He should be fine.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
What are the expectations for Jacoby Brissett in this opening game?
My personal expectations? Probably something like 10-24 for 110 yards and an INT.

He throws short of the sticks very often and we’ll be playing a field position game if possible. Our best hope is to keep games in the teens and try to make a big play or two with our backs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Since Baker is in nearly every thread, I want to relate his handling of us signing Watson to 2 other QBs in similar circumstances.

Before I get to that, I was a big Baker supporter even though I wasn't crazy about us taking him #1 overall. I thought he played well, great at times, but started looking at stats regarding 4th quarters of games and was concerned. As I have said many times, I am not a professional evaluator, so I really don't know how much the injury affected him, but I tend to watch old games, or at least parts of them and found myself surprised how many open receivers he missed in his non-injury seasons. I have no idea if someone ran routes incorrectly, but it became a concern.

Back to my point. The Falcons went aggressively after Watson and I didn't hear Matt Ryan demand to be traded, rather he was going to let his contract expire. He understood the team was trying to improve and felt it best to move on. One key difference was the Falcons weren't claiming Ryan was their future QB.

Jimmy G didn't complain when the 49ers traded 3 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick for Trey Lance, a QB prospect that was not a sure thing. He also stayed as their QB, playing most of last year without demanding a trade, and recently signed a lower sized contract to remain in SF as his back up.

I think Baker's approach was very immature from the start. For all I know he may end up a star at Carolina, but his handling of the situation was not professional in my opinion.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Baker was also in his option year and maybe didn't want to spend it as a lame duck year. Or it just plain ticked him off. But Ryan and Garapolo had already made some bucks at that point.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Since Baker is in nearly every thread, I want to relate his handling of us signing Watson to 2 other QBs in similar circumstances.

Before I get to that, I was a big Baker supporter even though I wasn't crazy about us taking him #1 overall. I thought he played well, great at times, but started looking at stats regarding 4th quarters of games and was concerned. As I have said many times, I am not a professional evaluator, so I really don't know how much the injury affected him, but I tend to watch old games, or at least parts of them and found myself surprised how many open receivers he missed in his non-injury seasons. I have no idea if someone ran routes incorrectly, but it became a concern.

Back to my point. The Falcons went aggressively after Watson and I didn't hear Matt Ryan demand to be traded, rather he was going to let his contract expire. He understood the team was trying to improve and felt it best to move on. One key difference was the Falcons weren't claiming Ryan was their future QB.

Jimmy G didn't complain when the 49ers traded 3 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick for Trey Lance, a QB prospect that was not a sure thing. He also stayed as their QB, playing most of last year without demanding a trade, and recently signed a lower sized contract to remain in SF as his back up.

I think Baker's approach was very immature from the start. For all I know he may end up a star at Carolina, but his handling of the situation was not professional in my opinion.

Honestly think most people agree with you. At the end of the day this is a business, need to keep the emotions in check. .... with that said - I think what probably had a bigger impact than chasing Watson was the "we want a grown up" or whatever the phrase was that the Browns Organization leaked out. None of the QB's you mentioned had an organization taking a shot at their QB in addition to looking to replace them.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
Legend
T
At the end of the day I"M a Fan, I don't give a splash about the business of it.
The first game is going to be Understandably AWkward.
Jacoby Brissett I just CAN"T. I Can't with Jacoby Brissett. It feels like the team is mocking me as a fan to ask me to root for Jacoby Brissett.

What the football. I've almost never felt like this. I don't know when I'll root for the Browns again.
but right now I totally don't give a blank.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
1 member likes this: Tackman
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
At the end of the day I"M a Fan, I don't give a splash about the business of it.
The first game is going to be Understandably AWkward.
Jacoby Brissett I just CAN"T. I Can't with Jacoby Brissett. It feels like the team is mocking me as a fan to ask me to root for Jacoby Brissett.

What the football. I've almost never felt like this. I don't know when I'll root for the Browns again.
but right now I totally don't give a blank.

I think - in the really bad years - that's how most fans felt immediately after the season, or maybe week 10 when we were out of it. Then the debate would be about throwing in the towel for better draft picks or how important it was to instill a winning culture and how bad for players tanking was.... Then after a few weeks, after the Super Bowl, February on .... then we'd all put our Brown's colored spectacles on. We'd start to imagine dramatic turn arounds, diamonds in free agency, a stunning draft class with contributors in every round. By the time the draft took place and training camp was here = we'd be full blown homer-fan. Win oss records would be wildly skewed in unrealistic expectations .... and then the season would start and by week 3 we'd realize it was all definitely a pipe dream.

This off season is different - right now as we enter the season proper it feels like with JB as starter, with the suspension and drama around Watson: that uneasy feeling gnawing away in your stomach feels just like an end of season, frustrated, can't believe I wasted so many Sunday afternoon knot. It shouldn't feel like that - and for many (Bone for one) it doesn't - but I think it sort of feels that way for me. The joy and optimism normally experienced at this point, on the cusp of the season .... all sucked the hell out of me.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A lot of talk about how the Browns will look bad if they lose to Baker and Carolina. That's a reality. Watson isn't playing, so that changes the odds. JB is a backup. The BM group will certainly rub it in should the Browns lose. They will trot out their usual excuses should the Browns win.

One thing that isn't being talked on here, but is elsewhere is just how important this season is to Baker. He was a former #1 overall choice. His team did not sign him to a new contract. They upgraded the position. Other teams had a shot at him and passed. In the end, the Browns had to pay most of his salary and Baker had to take a pay cut. Why would the Browns move on? Because they are stupid? If you say yes, what about all the other teams that could have had Baker for almost nothing? Are all the teams stupid? Are only his fans smart?

I listened to Marcus Spears addressing this earlier today. He said this season is huge for Baker. He said Sam Darnold was in the same spot last year. A year later and he is an afterthought. He said Baker better prove himself this year or he'll be next year's Sam Darnold. I've seen signs of Baker maturing and hopefully he can resurrect his career. If he has another bad year, he might be done as a starter.

Thus, I say there is a ton of pressure on Baker, even more than on the Browns, because the Browns will have a top-tier qb next year and moving forward. This one year hiccup will become an afterthought. All the excuses that the BM Club has made will be trotted out again if Baker plays poorly, but it won't save him.

As an aside, I actually hope he does play well and matures.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope he goes to a Super Bowl this year, but only because we're not.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

rofl

You hope the Browns "destroy" Baker. You wrote that in black and white on this very board and I think it was even this thread.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888
j/c:

rofl

You hope the Browns "destroy" Baker. You wrote that in black and white on this very board and I think it was even this thread.

In fairness, I'm sure he meant the rest of the year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
in fairness, what is wrong w/me hoping the Browns destroy an opposing qb? 888 is obsessed w/me. It's freaking weird.

But, you are right............I do hope Baker can salvage his career. I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he has played well and I think he has acted immaturely. I dislike his biggest defenders FAR MORE than I do Baker.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c:

A lot of talk about how the Browns will look bad if they lose to Baker and Carolina. That's a reality. Watson isn't playing, so that changes the odds. JB is a backup. The BM group will certainly rub it in should the Browns lose. They will trot out their usual excuses should the Browns win.

One thing that isn't being talked on here, but is elsewhere is just how important this season is to Baker. He was a former #1 overall choice. His team did not sign him to a new contract. They upgraded the position. Other teams had a shot at him and passed. In the end, the Browns had to pay most of his salary and Baker had to take a pay cut. Why would the Browns move on? Because they are stupid? If you say yes, what about all the other teams that could have had Baker for almost nothing? Are all the teams stupid? Are only his fans smart?

I listened to Marcus Spears addressing this earlier today. He said this season is huge for Baker. He said Sam Darnold was in the same spot last year. A year later and he is an afterthought. He said Baker better prove himself this year or he'll be next year's Sam Darnold. I've seen signs of Baker maturing and hopefully he can resurrect his career. If he has another bad year, he might be done as a starter.

Thus, I say there is a ton of pressure on Baker, even more than on the Browns, because the Browns will have a top-tier qb next year and moving forward. This one year hiccup will become an afterthought. All the excuses that the BM Club has made will be trotted out again if Baker plays poorly, but it won't save him.

You hate Baker. Just admit it.

You made, and still make, a huge deal out of the salary of Baker. You wanted JG from San Francisco. Guess what? He didn't get picked up anywhere, by anyone, and restructured his deal to make less money.

SF did not sign him to a new contract. Well, other than they lowered his pay, since no one else was interested.

You've told us repeatedly how much better the Browns will be with Jacoby, cause he won't have turnovers and won't take sacks.

Yet here you are, making pre emptive excuses for JB - IN the event the Browns lose.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, I see some of the usual suspects not talking football and making things very personal, but I have not seen a response to Marcus Spears claim that this is a huge year for Baker because the Browns gave up on him, no one wanted him enough to make a decent offer, and Sam Darnold went through the same thing last year. Focusing hate and telling lies [arch] about other posters does not change the truth that Baker better prove himself this year or his days as a starter are over.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I didn't lie. You and pit seem to get off on calling posters you don't agree with 'liars'. You especially.

What do you think of JG in San Fran signing - re doing - his contract? Since no one else wanted him.

Your stance on BM is more than clear, and you state it in every thread, repeatedly. Just quit.

Because, IF the panthers beat the Browns, IF baker beats your "Brisset won't take sacks, and will take care of the ball", what do you have left?

Nothing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I've tried to ignore all you constant lies and insults, but enough is enough. You have the emotional maturity of a preteen. I am putting you on ignore.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I've tried to ignore all you constant lies and insults, but enough is enough. You have the emotional maturity of a preteen. I am putting you on ignore.

Wonderful.

Ignore me, but read me. And for you to say I have the emotional maturity of a preteen? Priceless. You must have been looking in a mirror when you typed that.

You putting me on ignore? Who cares? you having to boast about it says so, so much more about you than you can believe.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Browns versus Panthers

Link Copied to Clipboard