Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Legend
Legend
T
How (blank) can the Panthers offense be with their new @uarterback. ( He always would distribute the ball to a lot of different players)

Will the Browns and their @uarterback, distribute the ball to more total players, (i.e. catches by 7+ different guys)
than the Panthers @b will.

I'm asking if that distribution to a lot of players from Browns years past was a product of BM, or Kevin Stefanski...
well and Freddie Kitchens' and Hue Jackson, and umm the interim coach after Hue.

Well, you have to get first downs to have more opportunities to distribute the ball to more players anyways.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
This game may have gotten a little more interesting now that Baker was quoted saying "I am going to F*** them up",l
Maybe Baker had just woken up from a nightmare in which he was co-starring in a years gone by "Saturday Night Live" sketch which included Kevin Nealon, and Dana Carvey, dressed in fake muscle sweatshirts, calling themselves Hans and Frans
and Baker simply meant to say, " I'm going to PUMP, (clap), them up."
"believe me now and hear me later, the audience is nothing but a bunch of girly men intimidated by our massive muscles, while you've been eating French fries we've been watching our diets and preparing our muscles to throw the football. When he takes the field on gameday he's going to, Pump, (clap) them up. (some parts were redacted)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
A lot of talk about how the Browns will look bad if they lose to Baker and Carolina. That's a reality. Watson isn't playing, so that changes the odds. JB is a backup. The BM group will certainly rub it in should the Browns lose. They will trot out their usual excuses should the Browns win.

I don't see it that way at all. I mean if the Panthers win what did Baker actually accomplish? Beating the Browns back-up QB? That's not some huge accomplishment. But what I think it will indicate is that without an actual NFL starter at QB and a good core of WR's, that superior roster everyone is crowing about isn't going to win the Browns many games.

The Browns have a superior roster in terms of talent on the roster. A better defense and running game for sure. The Panthers have upgraded their OL but in no way does it match the Browns. So from the standpoint of the better team going into the game the Browns should win. But even NFL players are mortals. There's a cloud and stank surrounding the situation Haslam has brought to this team.

There's also the fact that there has been a lot of back and forth on this board as well across the NFL among fans about trying to win by having a strong team without a top tier QB. I think you and many others on here have made that very argument in your support and approval of getting watson no matter what he's done. You know, win at all costs.

So now is the time that question gets answered. Not strictly in the Panthers game but in this early soft stretch of the schedule. Some in the crowd that claimed you can't win without a franchise QB now claim you can. The same crowd that claimed without that potent offense the Browns had no chance now claim an otherwise good roster can.

So we're going to find out which of their two opposing stories is correct. The Panthers beating the Browns who have a good running game and no real QB wouldn't be some magical feat. Seeing the Browns lose to a mediocre NFL team would however not bode well for their season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just don't think he has played well and I think he has acted immaturely. I dislike his biggest defenders FAR MORE than I do Baker.

So what do you think of the 230 million dollar man who signed a four year contract then demanded a trade less than four months later? Who sat on the bench refusing to play for an entire season in the first season after signing that contract? I dislike when a person points the finger at someone claiming they're immature while supporting someone else whose actions have proven he is even more immature.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry Vers. I noticed the time stamp on your posts. Once again it was during your cocktail hours. That helps explain things.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Ah, the free market system. A foundation of America.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Baker will never change. His attitude and mindset won’t be changed.

If he has a clean pocket and health then he’ll be a solid starter. If he doesn’t his career will be done.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you're telling me that when a QB is under pressure or injured they don't play as well? Say it isn't so! ooo

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So you're telling me that when a QB is under pressure or injured they don't play as well? Say it isn't so! ooo
Well, they won’t play as well but they also won’t be terrible (Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson, Rodgers) .. watch them under pressure or when teams gamble and blitz.

Baker folds like a wet towel. The good ones dont.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't see it that way at all. I mean if the Panthers win what did Baker actually accomplish? Beating the Browns back-up QB? That's not some huge accomplishment. But what I think it will indicate is that without an actual NFL starter at QB and a good core of WR's, that superior roster everyone is crowing about isn't going to win the Browns many games.

He'll have QB'd a team to a win over a very strong D. Carolina is not in 'contender' status. Browns fans know all about the 'silver linings' game that's played when the team isn't expected to do much.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you on one hand. But if you look at the prediction thread not all Browns fans share the view that the team "isn't expected to do too much." That varies from person to person. As far as beating a team with a very strong D is concerned is the part I do agree with you about. But there is a caveat to that. Let's say as an example you only need to put up 20 points to beat that D because their offense only puts 17 points on the board? Was it great play by a QB that accomplished that win or was it the fact your opponent simply had trouble putting points on the board?

Don't get me wrong, yes he would still be the QB that notched the win but how responsible is that QB for winning that game? I know what the stats will say in that department but as far as the reality of things it is possible the Panthers can beat the Browns without Mayfield having some great game. I don't think anyone actually believes that Mayfield is going to suddenly become some NFL top 10 or even 15 QB. I certainly don't and would be shocked should that happen. It may be that Mayfield will only play "good enough to win" and that may not take a whole lot.

That all remains to be seen at this juncture.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I'm not really tracking with some of the other fans regarding my outlook this season. I think we should finish with a better record than last year (so anywhere above .500) for reasons that I've stated in 1 or two other threads (overall team health and a D with a foundation, mostly).

As for your caveat... a win is a win. Period. Ex. people wanted to throw more assets at Garrapolo because "he wins". As for Mayfield "suddenly become some NFL top 10 or even 15 QB"... wasn't he just that up to his injury last year? I wouldn't be all that shocked if he did something that he was doing or was almost doing before. If I had to guess, I don't see that happening either... but 'shocked' isn't the right word for me, I guess.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't see the Panthers being even close to as good as the Browns team of 2020. I think Mayfield would have to perform better than he did in 2020 to make the playoffs with that Panthers team. He also doesn't have the OL the Browns did in 2020 nor the talent in the running game. So he does have the capability to be a top 15 NFL QB if he has the proper supporting cast. I don't see that here.

And as far as "a win is a win. Period." We both know we've seen very average QB play win games that did not rest on the shoulders of a QB. You don't have to admit it, but you know it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
For the record, I was not talking about just the Browns/Carolina game when it comes to Baker. I was pretty clear that I was talking about the entire season being huge for his career and I used the analysis of Marcus Spears to add credence to my point. Things get twisted pretty quickly around here and it's always the same guys who are guilty of it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I know you have chosen not to see it, but who in their right mind didn't know this is a huge year for Mayfield? He's on a one year deal and whether he plays as a starting QB or a backup moving forward in his NFL career hinges on this season. I'm not sure what more there is that needs to be said about that?

Would you like to debate why Jimmy G, a QB you taughted as a good NFL starter was relegated to nobody wanting him as a starter and he has been relegated to a backup QB? I didn't think so.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just another guy to beat in my book. I like our chances.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Why would I be reluctant to admit average QB play can still win games? I don't think Carolina has to necessarily make the playoffs to say Mayfield had a successful season. Winning obviously makes that argument easier, though.

I guess I just don't really see Carolina winning without Baker at least playing to the level of a starter-caliber NFL QB. If we're talking about Carolina winning vs Browns, within the context of what Carolina has on its roster and the paper-strength of the Browns roster Baker would have to be a big part of that win.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
If we're talking about Carolina winning vs Browns, within the context of what Carolina has on its roster and the paper-strength of the Browns roster Baker would have to be a big part of that win.

That or the Browns offense having trouble putting many points on the board. We'll see. Maybe we have a different definition of what the term " Baker would have to be a big part of that win." means.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we agree more than we disagree on this.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I do too.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If Carolina's defense can contain the run and roll coverage to Amari, it will be a LONG DAY for us. Their Pass D ranked better than ours last year, so it's a fair bet that they can cover Njoku and whatever else we have out there with Cooper.
It's very arguable that they have a better WR corps than us (who doesn't?), and their backfield is every bit as good as ours with Christian McCaffrey back there. They know how to run it well, and out DT's are *definitely* suspect with undersized LBers behind them.... they could potentially power run it down our throats all day to stay in good down & distance ranges and set up the play action that Baker excels in.

I think it might well come down to which DLine is able to pressure the QB more. Our OLine *should* be better than theirs, but with the way they're able to run it, I don't know by how much.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Shouldn't it come down to which @uarterback plays better.
What does a Browns win in this opener look like??
If you figure a win, what will be the characteristics of the Browns win in this game.
Better @uarterback play certainly is on the table in answering that @uestion.

If Brissett plays better than Baker the Browns win. Simple.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I haven't watch them play - but the talk on the radio is that the CLT defense is stronger against the pass and might well be weak against the run. The OL has been "upgraded" from last year - but they are lots of new and unproven parts so take that with a grain of salt.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
This game may have gotten a little more interesting now that Baker was quoted saying "I am going to F*** them up",l
Maybe Baker had just woken up from a nightmare in which he was co-starring in a years gone by "Saturday Night Live" sketch which included Kevin Nealon, and Dana Carvey, dressed in fake muscle sweatshirts, calling themselves Hans and Frans
and Baker simply meant to say, " I'm going to PUMP, (clap), them up."
"believe me now and hear me later, the audience is nothing but a bunch of girly men intimidated by our massive muscles, while you've been eating French fries we've been watching our diets and preparing our muscles to throw the football. When he takes the field on gameday he's going to, Pump, (clap) them up. (some parts were redacted)

Yeh, that's it. Once again, you nailed it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I am Carolina, I toss 8 in the Box and dare Jacoby to beat us…

Rinse and repeat until week 12. It is not that hard to figure out.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Could have been so much more hateful. It's just a hype shirt. He wants to build his legend.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
If I am Carolina, I toss 8 in the Box and dare Jacoby to beat us…

Rinse and repeat until week 12. It is not that hard to figure out.
And if you see film of our WRs outside of Cooper, it makes it even more obvious lol

B
Legend
Legend
B
If the O in the Bears game was any indication, the D will need to hold teams to historic lows. Cade York might get 5-6 field goal chances a game. Even if he makes them all we are talking 18 points.

I know going for it on 4th down is vogue around the league, but with points being very important this year, we might want to shorten the distance needed by a yard or two before we go for it. In other words, if we would have gone for it on 4th and 3 last year maybe the comfort zone this year becomes 4th and 1.5 yards.

Going for it on 4th down only really helps if you end up in the endzone. It isn't worth the initial risk if you end up kicking another FG, the payout is the same for exposing yourself to additional risk.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
peen, you know that it's not wise to put any stock into a preseason game especially when they were playing all their starters and we sat some guys like Cooper, Chubb, Bitonio, etc.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Could have been so much more hateful. It's just a hype shirt. He wants to build his legend.

It says that he licensed it, not created it.
It literally is likely that it is not even him making them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
It says that he licensed it, not created it.
It literally is likely that it is not even him making them.

So what does that mean exactly?

Interesting that this type stuff just seems to be attached to him whether he "licensed it" or "created it".

O
Legend
Legend
O
He tweeted out the shirt with the design. It's not like this was done without his knowledge or endorsement.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
He tweeted out the shirt with the design. It's not like this was done without his knowledge or endorsement.

And can anyone show what this does to cast shade on the Browns? How it trying to embarrass anyone? The only thing it says is that he's been unleashed and the game against the Browns is one day only. It seems to me people are searching for a reason to be outraged or cast shade about something that really isn't there.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You are probably right when it comes to Adam the Bull. He is always hating on Baker.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
peen, you know that it's not wise to put any stock into a preseason game
And that was in response to BallPeen saying " If the O in the Bears game was any indication."

That got me thinking. In the 202I Browns Bears regular season matchup, if my memory is right, the Browns gave up 4 sacks (or 5) to the Bears defense.
and 'That' got me thinking of asking.

Was the Browns O giving up 4+ sacks in 202I, against the Bears was it
The Browns OL players fault.
The Browns coaching (choices of who to play and or schemings') staffs fault.
The Browns @uarterbacks' fault
The Skill position players of the Browns' fault
Everybodys' fault
Nobodys' fault,
A couple of choices combined 's fault.
or The Bears' fault.
or the Ref's and or the Leagues' biases fault.
???

O
Legend
Legend
O
::shrug::

I didn't mean to imply he was trying to throw any shade.

Personally, I don't care. He's a non-Browns QB at this point. Overall, I liked him here so I'll root for him so long as it's not against the Browns. I will say that the tshirt doesn't really do much for the "he's finally matured and is acting like a pro" argument.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Can the Browns Defense Get a Touchdown ?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Normally by game time I am a nervous wreak.

For whatever reason I am very calm about the team, the season, and this game.

I guess the main reason is; I don't have the expectations I usually have. Some years very low expectations and more recently very high expectations.

My mind has come to a place that says "just watch the games."

If there was no suspension and DW didn't carry baggage. I would be over the top. Right now I know there is talent on the team. I have realistic expectations for Jacoby. I am not expecting Mahomes. If I were to rank Jacoby I would have him around 24th.

He will play eleven games. I am hoping we can win 6 or more.

DW will play six games I am hoping he can win 4 or more.

If we could win 8 last year with a injured quarterback who played poorly. I don't see that my goals are unreachable.

So, I am ready for the season.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Browns versus Panthers

Link Copied to Clipboard