Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
High expectations this year. We have 3 guys on the Heisman list and brought in a respected DC. We are ranked 2nd in the country and many folks are predicting we win it all. We open up against #5 Notre Dame on Saturday night. Here is an article to kick things off.

Ohio State vs. Notre Dame: preview and prediction
Share this article
482 shares
share tweet email

Mark Russell
August 30, 2022 7:49 am ET

The beginning of the college football season always feels a bit like Christmas morning. There are expectations of what we might get, but we’re never quite sure until we get to that day and unwrap the packages. Will it be everything we hoped and dreamed for or will it be a feeling of a letdown?

To say expectations are high for this Ohio State team would be an understatement. After a massive retooling of the defense, the pressure is on to complement what could be an all-time historic offense. So far, all signs are pointing to a defensive unit that is playing with a chip on its shoulder. But as always, talk is cheap until we see live game action.

Notre Dame comes to Columbus for the first time since the mid-90s for a regular-season contest. It doesn’t get much bigger than the Fighting Irish when it comes to marquee matchups. Both teams are in the top five and looking to prove they are serious title contenders. Time to kick off the 2022 Ohio State football season!

Records and Broadcast Information
Records
Ohio State (0-0), Notre Dame (0-0)

Broadcast, TV, Game Time
Date: Saturday, Sept. 3
Game Time: 6:30 p.m. EDT
Network: ABC
Venue: Ohio Stadium (Columbus, Ohio) Capacity: 104,944
All-Time Series: Ohio State leads 4-2
Last Meeting: Ohio State defeated Notre Dame 44-28 in 2016 (Fiesta Bowl)

Ohio State Potential Game Plan for Victory
We all know the Ohio State offense is going to score. It was one of the most prolific offenses in the history of college football last year. Yes, the Buckeyes lost first-round wide receivers Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, tight-end Jeremy Ruckert and a few key offensive linemen, but overall this side of the ball is loaded for bear.

The wealth of talent at the wide receiver position at OSU has been well documented. The danger may be to get enamored with throwing too much. Let’s not forget, TreVeyon Henderson is one of the best running backs in the country. However, the Notre Dame defensive line is its strength. Ryan Day may choose to throw the ball early and often to get the defense on its heels before unleashing Henderson.

Let’s be honest though, no one is really worried about the Buckeye offense. The defense, however, is a huge question mark. Talent has never been lacking in Columbus, but the defense hasn’t been the silver bullets of old. Enter Jim Knowles.

The new defensive coordinator for Ohio State seems confident he can install a new system that will confuse opposing teams with multiple looks. Knowles’ former team, the Oklahoma State Cowboys, were a top-rated defensive team in 2021, and Knowles has even greater talent to work with this season.

Look for the defensive line to be much improved with more pressure from the edges. I also expect Knowles to bring multiple looks with disguised packages to confuse Irish quarterback, Tyler Buchner. Buchner is a true duel-threat QB, so the Buckeyes will have to be sure to contain and be aware of his ability to run.

Two Key Players for Ohio State
C.J. Stroud – Quarterback
C.J. Stroud is the odds-on favorite to win the Heisman trophy for a reason. The offense begins and ends with Stroud at this point. It took him a few weeks last season to really look comfortable, but by year’s end, when the offensive line gave him time, he was nearly unstoppable. Ohio State’s national title hopes fall squarely on Stroud’s shoulders, and he gets a chance to pick up right where he left off on Jan. 1 in Pasadena.

Tanner McCalister – Safety
Installing a brand new defense takes time. But bringing in a seasoned veteran like McCalister who played for Jim Knowles at Oklahoma State will help make that transition much smoother. Having a guy that played four years in that system is going to pay huge dividends, even if his stats aren’t eye-popping.

The Prediction
Everything we’re hearing from summer camp is that this team is hungry and has been practicing with an edge. But none of that matters until a team takes the field and it’s go time. And the lights will not get much brighter than a prime-time matchup against the Golden Domers.

Amid the excitement, plenty of questions remain. Most of those unknowns will come via the defense and whether the Buckeye D will feel comfortable with a new scheme right out of the gate.

Both teams are going to come out hyped to start the season with something to prove. Ohio State’s offense should score early and often, but it may take the Buckeye defense a few series to fully settle in. Either way, the Irish will not be able to trade blows with the offensive firepower, and OSU pulls away in the fourth quarter.

Final Score
Ohio State 45, Notre Dame 28

TIPICO Line
Ohio State minus-17.5

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...l-preview-and-prediction-2022-cj-stroud/

Legend
Legend
I can't frickin' wait.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I feel the same way. I'm really hoping Knowles makes a huge difference on D. Our O is going to be awesome!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Plowing my kids college funds on Ohio State -17.5. There better not be a backdoor cover!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Plowing my kids college funds on Ohio State -17.5. There better not be a backdoor cover!

Better get them in to a voc-tech school.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I haven’t been this excited for a season opener in a long time. Something awesome about starting against such a popular school under the lights

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I'm anxious to see how the defense does... hoping we come out solid... excited that we have such a big game to start but also makes me nervous that we don't have a 'warm up' game...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Better get them in to a voc-tech school.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Speaking as a former coach, I really don't like huge games to open the season. No matter how well you prepare, there are things that need to be worked on once the real bullets start flying.

As a fan, I'm nervous. We are loaded and a huge favorite, but it's still Notre Dame on National television under the lights. Very exciting, but I'll be on pins and needles.

B
Legend
Legend
B
That is why I said I wouldn't give the points...not that I bet on anything other than maybe a thousand or so on a vegas trip now and then, but for me that is chalked up as entertainment expense. I don't count on winning.

From a pure betting standpoint I think a big road dog has the advantage from a prep standpoint. I wouldn't be suprised to see the game a score apart, and wouldn't be shocked if ND won outright.

I don't think they will, but wouldn't be shocked. Like you said, opening games are often a crapshoot to predict how a team will come out of the gate. If I was betting football, I wouldn't bet any opening games for that reason. Way too much hype factors in to those lines.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't bet on games anymore, but I used to. A lot! Nothing more than I could afford to lose, but I was really into it.

Week 1 was always the hardest. Week 2 was always the week where I made the most money.

Nowadays, I concentrate on Daily Fantasy Football. I do a lot of research and it's enjoyable.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Speaking as a former coach, I really don't like huge games to open the season. No matter how well you prepare, there are things that need to be worked on once the real bullets start flying.

As a fan, I'm nervous. We are loaded and a huge favorite, but it's still Notre Dame on National television under the lights. Very exciting, but I'll be on pins and needles.
I view it like this too. I always prefer to play a tune-up type game first and then play a big one. It works kinks out. But it also means ND will be in the same boat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll have more time to devote to my Buckeyes this year. As has been mentioned on here my biggest interest going into the year is how the defense looks with a new DC. We've always had the talent but the results haven't matched up with the roster on defense at times. I used to place some casual bets on what appeared to be obvious mismatches in the line. Did pretty well. But I haven't even done that in years now. I'll certainly be focusing more on NCAA football this year and less on the NFL even though I enjoy both.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Can't wait either. Not to turn this into a culinary thread but fall Saturday tradition in my household is centered on hitting the grocery stores/market on Saturday morning, cooking in the mid morning/afternoon, parking it on my couch and watching football all day. YES!
As for the Bucs, 17 points is a big spread and Notre Dame is no pushover. My buddy is a big ND fan and thinks the Bucs will cover because they are stacked more this year than they were 3 years ago when the officials robbed them against Clemson. I digress. Should be a great game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I love the autumn mornings when I’m doing some things (grocery shop, exercise, walking, etc) preparing for a long weekend of football

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I love the autumn mornings when I’m doing some things (grocery shop, exercise, walking, etc) preparing for a long weekend of football

Boom.

There's nothing better.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The opener. Doesn't it "FEEL like" Notre Dame has more to prove this time around??
Things almost never go well for the team that enters a matchup between two top ranked programs and is the team that if feels like has LESS to prove.
So that means, Ohio State would have to fight real hard to overcome complacency.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
The opener. Doesn't it "FEEL like" Notre Dame has more to prove this time around??
Things almost never go well for the team that enters a matchup between two top ranked programs and is the team that if feels like has LESS to prove.
So that means, Ohio State would have to fight real hard to overcome complacency.

I don't know if complacency is the word, but why I said that sometimes I think being the road dog in a big game isn't a bad thing. I think they can gain just a little bit extra "something".

Now if OSU jumps out early, that "something" can go away in a hurry. Sometimes these early season games expose the teams that are more hype than anything else. Over the past 10 years or so, ND has had more unfulfilled hype than OSU. ND always get hype that doesn't match the product.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's pretty cool that College Gameday is in Columbus today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
It's pretty cool that College Gameday is in Columbus today.
Yep, love watching it

Legend
Legend
Talk about an UGLY half of football. Nd came to play and we did not

Legend
Legend
Yeah, not a good half of foootball, for sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
And not a good start to the 3rd. Very undisciplined. Stroud looks off his game. ND looks much more prepared.

Legend
Legend
TD Bucks! laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
TD Bucks! laugh

And again! laugh

Legend
Legend
The Irish defense is worn out.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Bittersweet victory at the Milk Man household. Informed the kiddos that Ivy League dreams are out of the equation.

I did give them a strong lead by presenting them with contact information for the International Correspondence Schools.

Go Bucks!

2 members like this: Rishuz, Ballpeen
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Was I the only one yelling at the TV to run the ball in the first half?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The Bucks did enough to win. That 7 minute 95 yard 4th quarter drive showed toughness when toughness was needed. Good win.
Alabama should drop to 3 after their cupcake win over St Agatha’s School for Blind Hemophiliacs. The OSU and Georgia took care of business against ranked opponents. They deserve the 1-2 spots.

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: FATE, tastybrownies
Legend
Legend
A few good signs: the defense grinded it out a little bit and the offense used more of a ball control tempo to score in the 2nd half.

First game is always tough. Glad it’s behind us

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
The Bucks did enough to win. That 7 minute 95 yard 4th quarter drive showed toughness when toughness was needed. Good win.
Alabama should drop to 3 after their cupcake win over St Agatha’s School for Blind Hemophiliacs. The OSU and Georgia took care of business against ranked opponents. They deserve the 1-2 spots.

I don't think Bama drops but I agree... I'd have Georgia #1, OSU #2, Bama #3...

Good win for the Buckeyes... tough first half but was able to find a way to win... kudos to the defense for shutting the Irish out in the second half...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Solid win against the #5 team in the nation. ND played a very good game and we had to gut it out and get the W. I was getting nervous at halftime and early on in the 3rd quarter.

Some observations:

--Losing Jaxon Smith-Njigba [I need another name for him because I can't ever remember how to spell his last name] was huge. I thought the hit was dirty. Dude threw a forearm blow right to the side of JS-N's head. We really missed his route running and big-play ability.

--The timing between CJ and the receivers was off. We were also missing Fleming, who didn't even play in the game due to an injury. I think the WRs were making poor reads at times.

--I thought Williams ran harder and was more effective than Henderson.

--#51 on the DL was really good.

--It seems weird to see Ohio State w/out a dominant Edge rusher.

--The defense is much, much better. Definitely more sound. Gone are the days of being totally out of position. The talent is quite up to what we are used to on that side of the ball---or maybe it is just inexperience----but Knowles is far superior to what we've had the last two years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looked like the players were slipping some on the new turf. Definitely didn't expect to see big 79 on skates.

I was a bit surprised we didn't see more of the screen game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
(general response)
There are a LOT of College Football teams, and , (I'm not really a total heart fan of the Buckeyes) Not like I've been of the Browns)
But I have lived in Columbus for enough time it's def. rubbed off.

There are LOT of college football teams in the USA. and ... Someone help me out here?
I can't think of any other one than the Buckeyes' that have won 5 straight against the Notre Dame fighting Irish, even if they were spread out 70 years apart.

Anytime you beat Notre Dame in football it's a big deal, even in 2022, I don't care who you are it's still a big deal.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I talked to a buddy of mine about this game before it was played. It's sort of a double edged sword. As a fan of the game I hate seeing those gravy games at the beginning of the schedule. You know, when highly rated teams play the Western Utah State Ogden Campus schools of the nation. They're so meaningless and you know who is going to win 98% of those games. But the yang to the yin is that college football doesn't have any preseason games. So a couple of cupcake games at the beginning sort of serve that purpose.

But the fact is both Notre Dame and OSU were playing under those same circumstances. Neither had those early cupcake games to work out timing and a sense of game time familiarity with their systems. It certainly looked as if Notre Dame was better prepared to face their particular opponent in this game. I do love what I saw from the new OSU defense. I thought it may take a little time to come together being an entire new system and DC. I took it as a positive that OSU could change up their offense and produce two late game drives with it. Versatility will come in handy over the course of the season.

I almost bet on this game taking ND and the points. It just seemed like the spread was too wide for a first game of the season when matching up two such highly ranked teams. I haven't bet on any games for a long time now but this one just seemed too good to be true. In the end I chose not to. There went some cash.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
#5 ranked Noter Dame +17.5 sure seemed like one of those "Vegas knows something we don't" type of bets that smart folks run away from.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

I don't think Bama drops but I agree... I'd have Georgia #1, OSU #2, Bama #3...

Good win for the Buckeyes... tough first half but was able to find a way to win... kudos to the defense for shutting the Irish out in the second half...

I wouldn't even worry about ranking until Nov. as long as you are winning. It really doesn't matter all that much if you are #1 right now or 20 right now. Lot's of time to drop down or move up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed, especially if you are in the top 3-5

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My thoughts and replies to a couple posts

- Usually they just call him JSN on eleven warriors. I get it, people on here that aren't OSU fans reading this thread might not know the reference when you are replying with that.

- I agree about the receivers, they're talented as hell but are behind on the experience. A few of those throws the receivers should've settled into the opening of the zones instead of continuing the routes. Your average fan will see the Olave/Wilson last year and look at this year and wonder why CJ was missing his mark (caveat, I know it's just one game). The reality is those guys besides being super talented had a few years of experience of knowing when to settle into a spot or adjust their route based on what the D was showing. The young corp will learn.

- CJ had some amazing throws, that first TD to EE was beautiful. CJ threw it from the other hash across the field, to an out route with a small window to throw. Just beautiful

- Loved seeing Xavier Johnson catch a TD pass, he's a former walk-on 5th year Senior that earned a scholarship (i think last year) due to his work ethic and special teams play. Also, was badass seeing him make a big tackle on the kickoff right afterwards. When he made the tackle on the kickoff, my first thought that was a huge momentum boost to the team. One of their brothers, fighting every day at practice to earn a scholarship (in the ultra talented receiver room no less), and to shine on the big stage.

- Former 5 star Mike Hall had an excellent game. So did Randsom and Eichenberg.

- Knowles called a great game. Really liked the defense. He said something (paraphrasing) about the defense isn't fully installed yet. He played a basic/vanilla defense, b/c he wanted his players to play fast instead of thinking too much.

- This game was HUGE for recruiting. I read they had something like 70 recruits at the game. Depending on the services you read, they had 13 five stars visiting! This doesn't even take into account that the 2025 class hasn't been completed. So there were technically more than that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Ohio State Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard