Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Stroud hurt us often. I have seen his game going downhill for last few games. TTUN beat us at our own game, and us missing tackles turned routine vanilla plays into 40+ yard TD's. We looked clueless in coverage. Our plays weren't very effective or aggressive. Our LT hurt us multiple times. Shame enough to go around today. We didn't seem ready. We helped them a lot IMO. boo tongue flamingmad

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I’m still questioning why our (5th?) string RB was featured … and then we brought in the better backs late in the game?

And the number of penalties was alarming

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe if they didn't let it get away from them so bad at the end they might have had a chance at the playoff.

But after the way it ended they have no shot, and they shouldn't.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Hearing people are wanting Day fired, wondering if Urban will come back.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do we really want to fire a coach that is 45-5?

I'm not happy today either, but that seems crazy to me.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Agreed. Can’t fire Day at this point. As for the playoff, I wonder if a Georgia, Mich, TCU, USC generates more money than Ga, Mich, TCU, Ohio State playoff does? It seems like it’s better for the sport (dollars) to have one West Coast contender than 2 Midwest contenders. Not sure though…

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
We looked clueless in coverage.

This sounds familiar...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The busted coverages were so Brownesque.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Boy did Ryan Day coach scared. He's not the guy. If you can't beat Michigan you do not deserve to stick around. Way too much talent on this team for such an embarrassing loss at home.

Harbaugh took Day to the woodshed today.

Can only imagine the calls Gene Smith is getting right now from the big alumni donors.

Here is my opinion on OSU with Day as coach, as a Michigan fan who has grown up and lived in Ohio my entire life.

OSU has been incredibly spoiled when it comes to coaches in the last 20 years. They made a great hire in Tressel who built a powerhouse, and who was one of the top coaches in the country for many years. He structured the program and did things the right way, for the most part. When he was forced out, OSU was incredibly lucky to have the stars align and have Urban Meyer available and wanting to coach in Columbus. He is another HoF coach and he continued the winning tradition, though less "the right way." Day was hired as part of Meyer's staff from the NFL with some college experience, and he is a good coach. But the odds of OSU going through 3 straight HoF coaches are pretty slim, and that isn't their fault. What program can/has?

OSU's last 2 coaches were very top tier for the most part. Day very likely is a step down from the previous 2, and in turn, OSU likely won't be the monster power house it has been for 10+ years, though they will still be a top tier program who will probably compete for the National Championship most years.

Michigan is finally providing some recruiting competition that it really hasn't in the last 10+ years locally. I believe Harbaugh is a better coach than Day overall. It remains to be seen if he is top tier either. We're probably in for a great couple years with both programs having good/great teams. OSU would probably be stupid to fire Day now.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Agreed. Can’t fire Day at this point. As for the playoff, I wonder if a Georgia, Mich, TCU, USC generates more money than Ga, Mich, TCU, Ohio State playoff does? It seems like it’s better for the sport (dollars) to have one West Coast contender than 2 Midwest contenders. Not sure though…

Overall, I think the money will stay the same no matter what. It's the thing to watch.

The ideal for the committee is to have a team from 4 different conferences. The SEC has had 2 a few times simply because there was no way around it. This year that isn't the case.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I agree’Peen. Some of this seems cyclical as well. Over the last decade+ its been mostly ‘Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and a miscellaneous 4th team getting into the playoff. Now it seems like it’ Georgia’s, Michigan’s and USC’s turn to be the 3 mainstays. - It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out once the SEC and BIG10 expand in a couple years.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Disappointing loss yesterday. Some thoughts:

--We came out strong. Spread the field on offense and moved the ball well. Played man coverage and were determined to stop the run, which we did.

--Left points on the board a couple of times.

--We were totally dominating them and they had two long TD passes. The complexion of the game started to turn.

--We were plagued by pre-snap penalties, drops, and by leaving the pocket too soon on offense. I hate saying this, but it looked like we choked.

--The started gashing us w/the run in the second half and drops and penalties stalled our drives.

Post Game thoughts:

--Day is an excellent coach and recruiter. Talk of firing him is moronic. I hope he doesn't walk due to the negativity of some Ohio State fans/supporters.

--As a former player and coach, I find it upsetting that a team can go 11 and 1 and there are more negative comments than positive. It's really hard to win football games and the media and a large part of the fan base who have never played or coached are incredibly negative and critical. It takes the fun out of the game to see/hear all the harsh commentary. I saw the end of the Minnesota vs Wisconsin game and Minnesota won at the end. The pure joy and jubilation by the Gopher coaches and players was so cool to see. Both teams have had mediocre seasons, but winning that game meant so much. As did losing it. That's what football should be about rather than a lot of negative criticism by folks who really have no idea how hard it is to play and/or coach.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cle23
Boy did Ryan Day coach scared. He's not the guy. If you can't beat Michigan you do not deserve to stick around. Way too much talent on this team for such an embarrassing loss at home.

Can only imagine the calls Gene Smith is getting right now from the big alumni donors.

Here is my opinion on OSU with Day as coach, as a Michigan fan who has grown up and lived in Ohio my entire life.

OSU has been incredibly spoiled when it comes to coaches in the last 20 years. They made a great hire in Tressel who built a powerhouse, and who was one of the top coaches in the country for many years. He structured the program and did things the right way, for the most part. When he was forced out, OSU was incredibly lucky to have the stars align and have Urban Meyer available and wanting to coach in Columbus. He is another HoF coach and he continued the winning tradition, though less "the right way." Day was hired as part of Meyer's staff from the NFL with some college experience, and he is a good coach. But the odds of OSU going through 3 straight HoF coaches are pretty slim, and that isn't their fault. What program can/has?

OSU's last 2 coaches were very top tier for the most part. Day very likely is a step down from the previous 2, and in turn, OSU likely won't be the monster power house it has been for 10+ years, though they will still be a top tier program who will probably compete for the National Championship most years.

Michigan is finally providing some recruiting competition that it really hasn't in the last 10+ years locally. I believe Harbaugh is a better coach than Day overall. It remains to be seen if he is top tier either. We're probably in for a great couple years with both programs having good/great teams. OSU would probably be stupid to fire Day now.

I appreciate your comments, but Ohio State is and should remain a powerhouse given the their vast resources. Day makes $9.5m/year and essentially has to outcoach his opponent 1 game per year. The Buckeyes win on talent alone the rest of the year. Beating Indiana, Kent State and the Arkansas Pine-Bluffs of the country should be expected.

The days of John Cooper type program should be over. Gene Smith definitely will not fire Day, he'd ask him to make it appear as his decision. Day will enter next year on the hot seat and if he loses to Michigan again, he'll be gone. Football is a bottom line business, some cherish moral victories, others want a winner. Would not be surprised to see Ohio State go after Fickell should Day pull a John Cooper again next year.

Congrats to you on the win, Harbaugh put on a coaching clinic yesterday and quite frankly, the last two years against Ohio State when it was clear Ohio State had more talent.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
As of today, Ohio State has the 5th best odds of both making the playoffs and also winning the National Championship.

Georgia is first. TUN second. USC and TCU are either third or fourth depending upon what site you choose to use. In case you were not following along yesterday, both LSU and Clemson lost.

I think Georgia and TUN can lose their Conference Championship games and still make the playoffs. TCU might be able to survive if they lose. The team to watch is USC. They would have 2 losses if they lose in their Conference Championship games. Both teams beat ND by 11 on their home fields. Penn State will almost certainly be ranked ahead of any team USC has defeated. I do think a lot of people want a West coast team in, but 1 loss vs 2 losses is a factor. Also, OSU lost to the #2 team in the country. USC losses would not rival that.

As much as some might not want to admit it, Ohio State still has an outside shot of making the playoffs.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I posted a few weeks ago what would happen if OSU faced a good team and couldn't put four quarters of quality football together. Of course some didn't take that so well, not that I care. Yesterday we saw exactly what that looked like.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, it was a pretty good beat down. The top 4 are set

Georgia
Michigan
TCU
USC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It just feels like the NCAA is doing what it can to get 'Bama in.

The top 4 will be:
Georgia
Michigan
TCU
USC

5/6 will be OSU and Alabama in some order
TCU or USC lose in their conference championship and who gets in?
I am sure they would rather have 2 SEC team than 2 big ten teams.
jmo, and 'Bama is their little darling -again jmo

Both TCU and USC lose and it's a free for all

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
With all due respect to everyone here, this is how it is in Columbus: Beat Michigan, Win the Big Ten, Win the National Championship. Period. Ryan Day has failed two years in a row to achieve any of these things. He needs to win next year in Ann Arbor or things are going to get dicey in Columbus. He's getting paid $9M to win. That's the deal. Win or you are gone. Nobody cares about 11 wins a year against a collection of garbage teams if you lose to Michigan. It's always been that way. Don't like pressure? Columbus isn't for you.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If either USC or TCU loses in their conference title games, then Ohio State or ‘Bama gets in. - Since ‘Bama has 2 losses, I don’t think they’ll get the nod.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

I appreciate your comments, but Ohio State is and should remain a powerhouse given the their vast resources. Day makes $9.5m/year and essentially has to outcoach his opponent 1 game per year. The Buckeyes win on talent alone the rest of the year. Beating Indiana, Kent State and the Arkansas Pine-Bluffs of the country should be expected.

The days of John Cooper type program should be over. Gene Smith definitely will not fire Day, he'd ask him to make it appear as his decision. Day will enter next year on the hot seat and if he loses to Michigan again, he'll be gone. Football is a bottom line business, some cherish moral victories, others want a winner. Would not be surprised to see Ohio State go after Fickell should Day pull a John Cooper again next year.

Congrats to you on the win, Harbaugh put on a coaching clinic yesterday and quite frankly, the last two years against Ohio State when it was clear Ohio State had more talent.

Yes, OSU will still be a top tier team, but for the last 10-15 years, OSU was always the overwhelming favorite to win the BIG and get to the playoffs/championship. I don't see that being the case anymore. They will be great, and they will still compete for those things, but I don't see them just steamrolling everyone as they have. Day isn't Tressel or Meyer, and they will now have real recruiting competition in Ohio, though I am sure they will still get a majority of the top tier kids from the state. Hell, a 4 star OT on an official visit to OSU on Saturday committed to Michigan after the game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most likely the reason he committed to Xichigan is because OSU has not offered him as of yet.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
R
Legend
Legend
R
OSU does not deserve the playoffs.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by dawg66
Most likely the reason he committed to Xichigan is because OSU has not offered him as of yet.

Possibly, but that seems to be a theme with players from Ohio according to Luke Hamilton, the recruit who committed to Michigan while on a visit to OSU. Here is a quote from him:

“(Ohio State) did this to all of the in-state (recruits). They put us on the back burner and will wait until the last second, because they think they have us committed there if they offer, which I think is totally stupid. That is not how that works at all. I’ve talked to linemen all around Cleveland and people that I know and they all feel the same way. … I think Ohio State is taking too long and I don’t think they are doing it right (at this time).”

Which again was kind of my point previously. OSU will still control most in state recruiting, but there are a ton of good players in Ohio, and there are some who may look elsewhere if OSU struggles, or continues to dilly dally with in state guys. That was a huge part of Tressel's start, was locking up Ohio.

Hamilton is the 5th ranked recruit in OH, and he is I believe the 8th ranked tackle in the country for his class. A guy OSU would typically try to lock up. Now maybe he isn't a fit for whatever reason, but if OSU is stringing guys out as an insurance policy, a lot of those guys will start going elsewhere.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Nope, not even close

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by dawg66

Possibly, but that seems to be a theme with players from Ohio according to Luke Hamilton, the recruit who committed to Michigan while on a visit to OSU. Here is a quote from him:

“(Ohio State) did this to all of the in-state (recruits). They put us on the back burner and will wait until the last second, because they think they have us committed there if they offer, which I think is totally stupid. That is not how that works at all. I’ve talked to linemen all around Cleveland and people that I know and they all feel the same way. … I think Ohio State is taking too long and I don’t think they are doing it right (at this time).”

Which again was kind of my point previously. OSU will still control most in state recruiting, but there are a ton of good players in Ohio, and there are some who may look elsewhere if OSU struggles, or continues to dilly dally with in state guys. That was a huge part of Tressel's start, was locking up Ohio.

Hamilton is the 5th ranked recruit in OH, and he is I believe the 8th ranked tackle in the country for his class. A guy OSU would typically try to lock up. Now maybe he isn't a fit for whatever reason, but if OSU is stringing guys out as an insurance policy, a lot of those guys will start going elsewhere.

While I love Tressel and this isn't a knock on him, but recruiting at Ohio State has changed drastically since he coached for many reasons. I'll name a few as this could become a long conversation if explaining all the reasons.

Ohio State recruits nationally. When Urban came here, he changed the recruiting model for OSU. It was more about getting top recruits nationally while focusing only on the few top recruits from Ohio and supplementing the rest of the class with 3 or 4 stars from the Ohio area.

Ohio isn't the hot bed that it was in the early 2000s and earlier. Sure, there is still some great talent here, but alot of talent is the south. Urban and Day have focused on getting players from the south (i.e. GA, FL, TX mostly). There is so much talent in those areas. big reason for this is technology advancement. It's easy to communicate with anyone in the world. Applying for a job is made easy b/c of the internet. You can go online and buy/rent a place. Families can move anywhere and know they have a job and a place to live. Recruiting has exploded over the years. Partly b/c of internet recruiting sites, accessibility to get tape on almost any recruit, and also NCAA rule changes with summer camps where schools like Ohio State can get one on one time with any recruit to evaluate them.

Urban, just like Day will go hard right away after identified top recruits from Ohio. The ones a tier below that, they know they have a great chance of getting them closer to signing day. I can't speak for Hamilton. They could be so many reasons Ohio State didn't offer. His first of his statement, if he's talking generally about "all in-state recruits" then that is bs. He does say a couple sentences later about lineman, so if it's only lineman then that is different then "all" in-state. Though, that can be challenged b/c over the years, they have offered top lineman early from Ohio.

"OSU will still control most in state recruiting, but there are a ton of good players in Ohio, and there are some who may look elsewhere if OSU struggles"
OSU is a national brand. Recruits know they will be in the playoff hunt yearly for the significant future. But a good portion of why top recruits will come here is to get into the league. They have put the last couple QBs in the league. They have two highly rated recruits as backups and Dylan Raiola is the number 1 ranked recruit in the '24 class. I could go on about other positions for the similar reasons.

Losing recruits from Ohio will happen, but a high percentage of the time it will be b/c of OSU's choice. Some recruits will just choose other places. An example of this is Jackson Carmen (#2 LT five star) a few years ago. Ohio State went hard for him. He just didn't want to be in Ohio and signed with Clemson. So who did scramble to replace him? Petite-Ferre... a five star #1 LT in that class.

OSU will always go after top talent first. The more 5 stars / top 100 recruits on your roster, the better chance you will always be in the playoffs/National Championship conversation.

1 member likes this: dawg66
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with your thoughts. It used to be that OSU would recruit Ohio heavily and than fill in the rest of the class with players they liked outside of Ohio, the exception being a few top recruits. Now it's the opposite they recruit the top out of state recruits and fill in with Ohio recruits. According to Bucknuts OSU has offered 79 recruits in the 2024 class and only 6 are from Ohio, they have offered 18 from Florida, 15 from Georgia, and 8 from Texas, and the 6 from Ohio are all 4 and 5 star recruits.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks.

The past couple years, the state of Ohio's classes haven't been ranked strong. (side note: i know rankings are the end all, but they are a good barometer on the players) Though if you look at since 2020 at the very least, Ohio State has grabbed almost all the Ohio recruits that were in the top 100. Sure, they didn't get Altar (went to PSU) but they signed Devin Brown who was a top 50 recruit and decommitted to USC.
Usually the ones outside of that, they tell the player to come to summer camp and possibly earn an offer.

Some teams can do this. Heck, the last few years, Bama will go through the summer/early fall being ranked 30s-50s and you'll think they're slipping with recruiting. Then all of a sudden, they act like they're picking a dodge ball team and say: ok, you, you and you are on our team. By signing day, they're #1 or 2 with 5-7+ five star recruits. OSU's recruiting game isn't that strong, but it's easily top 3 with Bama and Georgia (I guess you can sort of add A&M with their NIL contracts)

We are just really spoiled as fans of Ohio State.

247sports link
Link

Legend
Legend
Any more you have to rely heavily on skill guys from the high talent areas and fill in the OL from the Midwest … that’s a generalization, but holds true a lot of times

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't know.

I will say the loss was a "bad" loss v a good loss. Losing at home and allowing almost 50 points isn't a good look. Especially after being totally spanked in the 2nd half.

When it comes to USC, a loss in a championship game isn't the same as losing in a game that would put you in the championship game. To me a championship loss is half a loss in the eyes of poll voters.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Nope, not even close

That does not make sense. Who would deserve to be the 4th team if USC loses their Conference Championship game? Why would any 2-loss team pass an Ohio State team whose only loss is to the #2 team in the nation?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I've watched more college football this year than at any other point. I don't have a good reason for my comment other than they don't seem like one of the four best teams to me, and I would personally like to see some fresh blood in the playoff.

I'm still not familiar with how it all works in college football, but that loss was fresh on my mind and seems it would weigh pretty heavily on their chances.

Legend
Legend
I’d just go by my eye test. OSU hasn’t looked as sharp as they should if they want to be in the CFP, even before this past weekend.

It would be hard for me to think they’d beat Alabama on a neutral field (heck, even at home)

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Alabama has lost 2 games. They won 3 others by the narrowest of margins. They don't have the quality wins like OSU does. Their pass defense is atrocious. They have been penalized in double digits multiple times. Their WRs drop passes at an alarming rate. They don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Here, check this out from ESPN college football playoff analysts, Heather Dinich and Paul Finebaum. It's telling because ESPN folks always favor the SEC.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is correct. Does anyone really want to see them get blown off the field by Georgia? No thanks. Ryan Day is out of his freaking mind thinking that if they get in they will be a dangerous team. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bama has looked terrible this year. They shouldn't even be in the conversation for anything in the Top 5 this year.

One of the issues with Ohio State, is their first loss of the season was the last game of the season to an undefeated team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The top 4 at the moment are pretty clear.
Who would anybody rank higher than OSU/Bama?
NMeither team is having a great year but neither is anyone else.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by The Beast
This is correct. Does anyone really want to see them get blown off the field by Georgia? No thanks. Ryan Day is out of his freaking mind thinking that if they get in they will be a dangerous team. LOL

Anything can happen if a team gets in just look at the NFL and with a month to prepare anything is possible ... Just think in a couple years despite the loss they would be a 5th seed in a 12 team playoff ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I am reading this wrong, then please correct me.

When you say neither team is having a great year...do you mean Bama and OSU? All of the things OSU fans have been saying about the team (and playoffs), isn't even close to what Bama fans should be saying about if they're their team deserves a chance.

Ohio State lost just one game this year. They lost to the #3 team (now #2) in the nation. That team also statistically had one of the top 5 defenses in the whole country. Ohio State had one of the top offenses in the nation. Something had to give.

There are only two teams that should be in the conversation for the 4 spot at this point in time. The ONLY teams with one loss throughout the year so far. USC and OSU. That's it, and you can make a case for either team to be in the 4 slot.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Originally Posted by The Beast

Anything can happen if a team gets in just look at the NFL and with a month to prepare anything is possible ... Just think in a couple years despite the loss they would be a 5th seed in a 12 team playoff ...

This is a good point. I was thinking the same thing last night when reading that comment.

The time between now and the bowl season is one area you will see growth in players. Coaches can get back to coaching/teaching during practices leading up to bowl games. Younger players (not all, generalizing) will start to show growth. Players have time to heal previous injuries and be rested.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think USC and TCU are locks to make the playoffs if they win their Conference Championship. However, I think Ohio State's resume is superior to USC's should the Trojans stumble this week. TCU? I'm not sure about. They would have only loss and have made it to their Conference Championship game.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Ohio State Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard