Print Thread
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
2 playoff appearances since 1999. 34 QBs have taken a snap
Since 1999. A owner that is gambling big on a QB that who
Was the most controversial in recent memory.

The return in 1999 has never been boring for this fan base.
And the one constant is that on this board, the opinions
Have been shared, agreed on, disagreed on, debated,
And anything else you can imagine
But overall there has been many many debates.
But what if this franchise was a contender every year?
Would the landscape be different here?

Legend
Legend
A quick visit the Patriots, Steelers, and Eagles message boards will answer your question.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I’m not sure the answer to it, but I wish we’d find out smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by jfanent
A quick visit the Patriots, Steelers, and Eagles message boards will answer your question.

You stole my response.

Patriots fans have wanted Bill and Tom gone for the last 15 years straight.

If nothing else I think all the losing has taught Browns fans perspective.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
I don't have an answer.

I live outside Atlanta. The Braves won 14 consecutive divisions. During that time they won one World Series against the Tribe in 1995.
Fans grew complacent. A good number wanted to fire Bobby Cox. Something I thought was aburd.

Fans can be fickle.

Going 1-31 was totally awful. It was like keep opening the same wound. I hated it. Hated it.

Given the financial structure of the NFL. No team should continue to be terrible. The league is built upon parity. The worst teams get the highest draft picks.

In the NFL the great chase is for the quarterback. A great quarterback can keep you competitive. I understand why Halsam did it. They decided Baker was not going to win a SB. And they had a good enough roster to not get the high draft pick to get a QB. So, they made the trade.

It will take time to see if it was worth it. Hell the Guardians are in first and do not draw. The Browns will draw big if they start winning big.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok…two visions to think about:
If you live in Ohio…replace all the Steelers stuff everywhere with browns stuff. Now remember You are not in the same state or a few hours from Pitt…so that doesn’t even include the city. That’s what it would be like (remember to add a couple extra teeth when visioning these fans :p)

Other way to vision it. The few of us that are Ohio state fans. A one or two loss season is a failure. For almost all of college football that is unreasonable expectations

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
IMHO, I think there would be a more serious actual analysis of players, FO moves, the draft etc instead of high percentage of posts just looking to vent. Saying that, maybe I am just noticing a smaller percent of posters who are expressing the same negative ideas and they tend to permeate. I tend to be an optimist at the start of each year, but still understand reality.

Also, my perception could be a bit swayed now due to the DW issue and the constant back & forth in many threads regarding this. Every possible angle of the DW situation has been discussed many times, and also by the same posters, almost as if the thought is, "if I make my point one more time" I will change the mind of the most ardent defenders/criticizers of DW".

Also, the fact that the Browns have had so many QBs that have started over the years seems to create a lot of controversy. That is presented by some posters and the national media as if the FO has changed their minds 20+ times. I won't research it, but I am certain at least half of these starters only saw the field because of injury. For instance, I am pretty confident the FO in 2000 were not thinking at the beginning of the season, "if only we could find a way to get Spergon Wynn into the lineup".

The other MB I pay attention to is the Bengals' and when they are winning it is much more positive and less critical, but there has been one constant for at least 20 years, they have the worst ownership in all of the NFL, according to their fans. But then so do the Cowboys, according to their fans, Commanders the same.

To sum up, winning makes it easy, and losing tends to split a fan base.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Would this board be different if the Browns were contenders every year?

Link Copied to Clipboard