Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
LSU makes unbelievable comeback to just get the game tying extra point blocked and lose. What a finish to this game. Unreal! 99 yard drive in last 1:30 and a TD on last play after FSU fumbled on the LSU goal line to just give LSU life. Incredible.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I was just getting ready to post that tweet. It's big news. I would have preferred 8, but I understand that 12 was actually easier to get approved.

I also think with 8 you might still hear some complaining. Not so much about #9 being a legit #1 contender, but more along the lines it includes more teams from all conferences. It also elevates more of the Bowl sites. Name sponsors want some elevated exposure.

At least at this point if #13 starts to moan about things it will be much easier to tell them to shut-up and be happy with the Alamo Bowl.

Any idea on how they are going to work things? With 12 teams you are going to work down to 3 teams. Is the highest ranked team at that point going to get a bye?

Last edited by Ballpeen; 09/05/22 07:25 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Any idea on how they are going to work things? With 12 teams you are going to work down to 3 teams. Is the highest ranked team at that point going to get a bye?

This is from memory, but it goes something like this:

--Six highest ranked conference champions and six at-large teams will make the tournament.

--The four highest ranked conference champs will receive byes.

--Then, 5 plays 12, 6 plays 11, etc.

--One cool twist is that the highest ranked teams of those who don't have byes will play first game at home. Example, #12 travels to pay #5 at 5's home field.

--Then, the quarter finals and semifinals will be played w/in the bowl system, just like it has been. And, the Championship game will continue to be played at rotating sites.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
LSU makes unbelievable comeback to just get the game tying extra point blocked and lose. What a finish to this game. Unreal! 99 yard drive in last 1:30 and a TD on last play after FSU fumbled on the LSU goal line to just give LSU life. Incredible.

No doubt. If you were trying to convince someone to watch college football, have them watch that game. What an exciting ending that was packed w/emotional highs and lows.

All in all..............what a great Week 1 weekend it was for college football!

B
Legend
Legend
B

This is from memory, but it goes something like this:

--Six highest ranked conference champions and six at-large teams will make the tournament.

--The four highest ranked conference champs will receive byes.

--Then, 5 plays 12, 6 plays 11, etc.

--One cool twist is that the highest ranked teams of those who don't have byes will play first game at home. Example, #12 travels to pay #5 at 5's home field.

--Then, the quarter finals and semifinals will be played w/in the bowl system, just like it has been. And, the Championship game will continue to be played at rotating sites.

There are 6 conferences worth a darn? I get that you have to include them, but not to sound snobbish but the 3rd or 4th place SEC is probably better than..who is the 6th conference? You could probably say the same about the Big 10..at least the 2nd and 3rd teams.

So lets cut to the chase here...the SEC and Big 10 championship losers get in. Then 2 others...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Including those other conferences was the only way to get the expansion approved.

Legend
Legend
So lets cut to the chase here...the SEC and Big 10 championship losers get in. Then 2 others...

Yep. Those championship games will be rendered meaningless. The smaller conference championships will probably be a ticket to the tournament. This is going to be interesting......do you automatically put in a MAC champion ahead of a 4th place SEC team? Another thing to consider, is that do we really want to see 2 and 3 loss teams regularly playing for the NC? The 11th and 12th ranked teams last year had 3 and 4 losses respectively.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jfanent

Yep. Those championship games will be rendered meaningless. The smaller conference championships will probably be a ticket to the tournament. This is going to be interesting......do you automatically put in a MAC champion ahead of a 4th place SEC team? Another thing to consider, is that do we really want to see 2 and 3 loss teams regularly playing for the NC? The 11th and 12th ranked teams last year had 3 and 4 losses respectively.

Good gosh, the MAC wouldn't be included, would they? Just because you are a conference champ doesn't mean you can play football with good schools. If they were in the SEC they might win 1 upset game a year.

I admit I have a strong SEC bias, but dad gum, just because you lost to Ala. or Georgia doesn't mean one of those teams can't beat nearly everybody else in the country. The Big 10 usually has 2-3 teams that can stomp on nearly anybody. The MAC goes to play those schools to get a payday and lose by 30.

I miss those MAC games. Seems like in the mid 80's they were on Thursday nights on maybe ESPN.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't think you guys have this right about the MAC.

The Power 5 conferences are the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC. The highest ranked team among the American Atlantic Conference, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West Conference, and Sun Belt Conference are the remaining conferences.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Will there even be a PAC-12 when this starts?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think one of the reasons they went to this beyond the obvious monetary windfall it will bring is to keep these lesser conferences alive. I don't think the mega-conferences are really good for college football.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think one of the reasons they went to this beyond the obvious monetary windfall it will bring is to keep these lesser conferences alive. I don't think the mega-conferences are really good for college football.

I tend to agree.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
As long it comes down to just spitballing I would have liked to have seen a few years of this.
Think of the current system, with 4 teams, a coulple of years ago it was 2 teams, there was talk of expanding it to 6,8, or more teams.
(Dollars would have never let it happen but)
I would have like to have seen a few years of this happening
The College Football committee doesn't give any indication before the final day the selection day.

On the Selection committee announcement day the committee decides whether that years College football playoff would be either
a 6 team playoff
a 4 team playoff or
a 2 team playoff. ( And who those teams would be.)

Which would make the weeks leading up to it, the arguments for what to do, just as interesting as it's always been.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sure, and forget the planning it takes to actually conduct the playoffs and bowl match-ups.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Clemson looks very rough tonight

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Did anyone see the segment on College Gameday about Uvalde's first home game? They won in miraculous fashion as the clock was winding down. So inspiring!

Here is an article about the end of the game:

Uvalde high school football team wins first home game in miraculous fashion
Jon Cooper | 7 days ago
Uvalde’s high school football team won its first home game Friday night 34-28 in incredible fashion.

The town has been plagued with anger and grief the entire summer after the unbelievably awful shooting that left 21 people dead at Robb Elementary School on May 24.

Uvalde hosted its first home game of the season against C.C. Winn High School Mavericks Friday night.

Fast forward to just 36 seconds left in the game, Uvalde had the ball down 28-27. In back-to-back plays, Uvalde went 59 yards for the go-head touchdown.

First, running back Jonathan Jimenez reversed the field for an incredible run down to the 10-yard-line. Then, Uvalde’s quarterback threw a pass to the receiver, who caught it with one hand with just 12 seconds left for the go-ahead touchdown.

Check this out:

This is absolute goosebumps stuff:

Uvalde High School won its first home game tonight 34-28.

It happened thanks to a miraculous 51-yard run with 36 seconds to go.
And then a go-ahead, one-handed TD catch with 12 seconds left.
Have to love sports.#txhsfb @wfaa pic.twitter.com/AXSs1zakUu

— William Joy (@WilliamJoy) September 3, 2022

There’s no moving on from the grief and tragedy that this town has experienced; however, there are moments when folks can maybe escape it for a while to experience an incredible moment.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...s-first-home-game-in-miraculous-fashion/

3 members like this: mgh888, FATE, YTownBrownsFan
Legend
Legend
Despite the officials refusing to call PI on Alabama, it looks like Texas is going into halftime with a lead.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
....and he missed from 19yds out. Texas/Alabama 10-10 at the half. Hookem' Horns!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
My God, these refs want to give the game to Alabama. Texas just got a safety and they called one of the cheesiest roughing the passer penalties I've ever seen.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Brice Young has 77 yards going into the 4th….so does he still have the Heisman wrapped up? rolleyes

Also, nice no call on that face mask on that goal line run by Robinson.

Legend
Legend
Well that sucks.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep, my parents are visiting. Once, TX kicked the field goal I said, well this game is over.

All they will do is dump off, dump off, out route and kick game winner.

Story line: Brice is clutch in the 4th quarter

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If Ewlers played out that game I have a feeling Texas wins easy. He was hitting deep balls early. One an easy TD that was dropped. A shame he went out so early. His backup just couldn’t hit those deeper routes. It constrained the Texas offense to not being able to stretch the field. Shame.
Alabama can’t run the ball for squat. I hope they get exposed and beaten a couple times this year. Though the refs are hard to beat. Geez what an egregiously missed face mask call on that last Texas drive.

Ohio State took care of business. Bring on Toledo.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good game by Texas and a great job by the fans.

In the end, cream rises. The better team won.

This close game will probably make Bama even tougher the rest of the way.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is also why the SEC top teams try not to schedule home/away out of conference games. It’s not easy.

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 09/10/22 05:19 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I have no idea why that wasn't intentional grounding and a safety in the Alabama/Texas game other than they always get the calls.

1 member likes this: Jester
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Damn, Notre Dame is getting beat by Marshall. That is going to hurt Ohio State.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There were a few bad/questionable calls in that game. But on the flip side, Tx missed that field goal before half time. The clock management was bad at the end.

It was meaningless, but the last three downs before the final kick by Bama was terrible play calling. I said out loud,is Bama trying to give this away? They’re down 2 with a chip shot (1 timeout) and three dumb short passes. Just run one run play and kick it. There’s no need to force those throws for a TD

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was asking a legit question. I had the Ohio State game on my main TV w/the volume up. On my second TV, I was flipping back and forth between the Tex/Bama game and the SC/Ark game, but I keep the sound muted on that TV. Clearly, the ball did not make it back to the LOS. I am pretty sure he was in the pocket. I wonder why it wasn't intentional grounding. Not complaining...well, maybe a little...LOL........but, I am curious.

Legend
Legend
ND loses to … MARSHALL??

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was switching back and forth between the games (OSU/Bama games). I think I missed that play.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have no idea why that wasn't intentional grounding and a safety in the Alabama/Texas game other than they always get the calls.

He wasn't down. His hand was on the ground, but that isn't down.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
ND loses to … MARSHALL??

No doubt that casts some shade over OSU's win last week, or it could if strength of schedule comes in to play later in the season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
This is also why the SEC top teams try not to schedule home/away out of conference games. It’s not easy.

That isn't the case. We just watched Bama at Texas. I am now watching Tn at Pitt. Last week Ga. played Oregon. You also have to consider the SEC plays top teams every week. They don't need to schedule many more.

I know you guys are sick of the SEC steamrolling the other leagues the last 15 or so years, but facts are facts.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Who was he throwing to?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Who was he throwing to?

I don't know. Evidently somebody.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

That isn't the case. We just watched Bama at Texas. I am now watching Tn at Pitt. Last week Ga. played Oregon. You also have to consider the SEC plays top teams every week. They don't need to schedule many more.

I know you guys are sick of the SEC steamrolling the other leagues the last 15 or so years, but facts are facts.

Peen…. I said top teams….Tenn hasn’t been relevant since…I don’t know, when Tee Martin played?

I didn’t complain about who they play. I stated they try not to play home/away out of conference games. Bama played at Tx. GA played Oregon at GA. Usually the games are at home or some neutral site that is in the south

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

He wasn't down. His hand was on the ground, but that isn't down.

I did not say he was down. I said it was intentional grounding. The ball did not reach the LOS and he was not out of the pocket. That should have been a safety.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Wow. App St beat Texas A&M!

1 member likes this: Jester
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

Looks down to me.

As for why intentional grounding wasn't called. I can think of 2 reasons.

1. It's bama, so the refs are on their side.

2. He threw it into a Texas defender and it got deflected. If a defender changes the trajectory of the ball, would that prevent intentional grounding from being called?

The ball was deflected upward and there was a texas player in the area, almost got intercepted for a td.

Last edited by Squires; 09/10/22 10:40 PM.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football 2022

Link Copied to Clipboard